PDA

View Full Version : 10.5 LMT, 11.5 BCM BFH or Noveske build

firefighter37
09-03-13, 16:31
Trying to decide which SBR upper to buy next. I already have an LMT 10.5, and it runs like a top. Part of me wants an identical setup as a backup, but another part of me wants something new. No matter which one I get, I am gonna go a little against my norm, and i'm gonna chop the FSB and put a DD RIS II MK18 on it.

The other upper I was considering was building my own with a VLTOR MUR, Noveske N4 Lite 10.5 with pinned gas block, BCM/ Colt BCG, and DD RIS II MK18.

Help me decide. I have to admit, i'm not crazy about the 11.5, because I like the length of the 10.5, but an inch isn't that big of a deal I suppose. The Noveske is probably the most accurate, but also the most expensive, by a longshot, considering the barrel by itself is $350.

Auto426
09-03-13, 16:41
Have you considered simply buying a complete Daniel Defense Mk18 upper?

It's the cheapest thing in the world but it comes preassembled with the rail you want plus you will be getting a 10.3" hammer forged barrel.

firefighter37
09-03-13, 16:42
Have you considered simply buying a complete Daniel Defense Mk18 upper?

It's the cheapest thing in the world but it comes preassembled with the rail you want plus you will be getting a 10.3" hammer forged barrel.

I was kind of turned away by their "substandard" gas port size, I recall reading about it in a thread not too long ago.

Auto426
09-03-13, 18:38
I was kind of turned away by their "substandard" gas port size, I recall reading about it in a thread not too long ago.

I believe that they have fixed that issue on their newer barrels.

SilverBullet432
09-03-13, 18:49
How about a diplomat 7.5? Complete with fire breathing swine.

firefighter37
09-03-13, 19:19
7.5" wrecks suppressors. I guess I should have mentioned it will wear a 762 SDN-6

firefighter37
09-03-13, 19:20
I believe that they have fixed that issue on their newer barrels.

Is there any way to verify this? If it is in fact true, this may be the route I go.

GUNFUN
09-03-13, 19:57
Stick with the LMT there top notch and like you said it runs like a top. LMT is top of the line in my opinion.

Col_Crocs
09-03-13, 22:38
How about a diplomat 7.5? Complete with fire breathing swine.

Thought things went upside down and arfcom turned green for a second there.

OP, what do you look to accomplish with this build? I ask because you already have a 10.5 which I assume is your go to gun, hence, the hesitation to go longer. I wouldve recommended a 12.5 but seeing your preferences, i think the 11.5 is a good way to go since youre going with a diff config anyway.

TurretGunner
09-03-13, 22:46
I'm in the same boat. After looking at the ballistic charts, there is no reason to go under 10.3" for an AR. You just lose too much velocity/energy.

I am thinking of doing a 10.3in DD with a Fortis and some sort of comp.

Auto426
09-03-13, 22:51
Is there any way to verify this? If it is in fact true, this may be the route I go.

You may want to look around on the NFA forum. I believe there are a few threads about the gas port sizes on DD's 10.3" barrels, and u believe one poster measured the gas port on their new barrel and found it to be smaller than what they used to use.

You might also want to try contacting Daniel Defense about it, but you may not get a clear response on it since that information is typically considered a trade secret.

RyanB
09-03-13, 23:09
11.5" Centurion Arms barrel, with their gas block and rail. Hell, if they have the parts they'll build it for you.

SilverBullet432
09-03-13, 23:42

:confused:

firefighter37
09-04-13, 04:56

OP, what do you look to accomplish with this build? I ask because you already have a 10.5 which I assume is your go to gun, hence, the hesitation to go longer. I wouldve recommended a 12.5 but seeing your preferences, i think the 11.5 is a good way to go since youre going with a diff config anyway.

I'd like to have a backup for my 10.5 LMT should it go down. The LMT is my go to rifle for just about everything. It is used for HD, classes and general range use. It has been flawless and the more I think about it, the more I want another one just like it. I may just get another 10.5 LMT and shave the FSB down to get a RIS II on it. I have never owned an AR that didn't have a FSB so this will be new to me. I hate to mess with things that work.

MistWolf
09-04-13, 05:34
You might take a look at how Grant did it
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=33743&highlight=failzero

firefighter37
09-04-13, 06:04
You might take a look at how Grant did it
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=33743&highlight=failzero

I just read that whole thread last night, it threw another monkey wrench in the works for me. Makes me want to chop a 16" with a small gas port to 10.5" or find a 10.5" with a small gas port, I don't know where I could find that though. Thank you for the link to that thread.

MistWolf
09-04-13, 07:35
Here's a gas block that might make your life easier
http://micromoa.com/
http://micromoa.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Govnah5.jpg

firefighter37
09-04-13, 08:02
Here's a gas block that might make your life easier
http://micromoa.com/
http://micromoa.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Govnah5.jpg

If its not pinned, its not an option. Thanks though. I don't want to have to mess with switching back and forth between suppressed and unsuppressed either. I don't mind the bolt not locking back when shooting unsuppressed as this rifle will probably have the can attached 95%+ time.

foxjordan22
09-04-13, 08:43
Since you are using it suppressed I say 10.5" Noveske switchblock. There is a reason they are so well liked. They suppress very well causing no increase in cycle rate and little to no gas face and will shoot sub MOA at 100yds with a 10.5" barrel and an Aimpoint. Ask me how I know.

firefighter37
09-04-13, 08:45
Since you are using it suppressed I say 10.5" Noveske switchblock. There is a reason they are so well liked. They suppress very well causing no increase in cycle rate and little to no gas face and will shoot sub MOA at 100yds with a 10.5" barrel and an Aimpoint. Ask me how I know.

Except it doesn't fit under the rail.

MistWolf
09-04-13, 08:53
If its not pinned, its not an option. Thanks though. I don't want to have to mess with switching back and forth between suppressed and unsuppressed either. I don't mind the bolt not locking back when shooting unsuppressed as this rifle will probably have the can attached 95%+ time.

If I recall, it can be pinned. The holes just need to be drilled.

All you have to do to change from suppressed to unsuppressed is slide the plate. The plate has two holes. Simply use a bullet tip to move the plate from one to the other. The beauty of the system is that you can get a plate with undersized holes and open them up until you have the gas flow for each mode just right

Clint
09-04-13, 13:34
From your stated requirements, my suggestion is to build an 11.5" upper.

Get the 11.5" barrel you want and add a BRT MicroTune Gas Block.

It is a variant of of our standard MicroPin Gas Block that includes a factory installed CustomTune Gas Port.

Get the block with a .060" port, pin it to the barrel and forget about it.

This should get you a virtual clone of the "best suppressed SBR ever" with minimal hastle.

I just read that whole thread last night, it threw another monkey wrench in the works for me. Makes me want to chop a 16" with a small gas port to 10.5" or find a 10.5" with a small gas port, I don't know where I could find that though. Thank you for the link to that thread.

Except it doesn't fit under the rail.