PDA

View Full Version : Armed Robber Makes Mistake

T2C
09-03-13, 22:11
I rarely if ever read anything on The Blaze website. A friend sent me this and it made me chuckle, so I thought I would share it.

Good Guys -1, Bad Guys - 0

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/09/03/mo-man-tries-to-stick-up-clerk-who-also-happens-to-be-a-four-deployment-iraq-war-vet-guess-who-it-doesnt-end-well-for/#

thopkins22
09-03-13, 22:56
Smooth.

1)Control the dangerous thing the other guy has. Check.

2)Put your own dangerous thing in the other guys mouth. Check.

3)Make the situation yours...he's leaving and living or dying. Check.

Excellent restraint and nerves of ice. I'm a bit dumbfounded that he didn't feel like his life was in danger...but it worked out for him and I can't second guess it especially since he now doesn't have that extra bit of trauma hanging around.

Ned Christiansen
09-03-13, 23:09
Dang, I moved my mouse to "replay" so fast, it got hot!

ChicagoTex
09-04-13, 01:29
That was 100% boss. :cool:

Great post.

Mac5.56
09-04-13, 06:42
“If I had seen the actual barrel of the gun, I would have pulled the trigger,” he said. “My life wasn’t threatened.”

That's what I'm talking about. This guy knows what's up, he assessed the situation correctly and acted appropriately. It's nice to see some real world examples of how to act as a responsible CCW holder.

Eurodriver
09-04-13, 09:45
That's what I'm talking about. This guy knows what's up, he assessed the situation correctly and acted appropriately. It's nice to see some real world examples of how to act as a responsible CCW holder.

Every training I've ever taken (military and civilian) is telling me that this guy was wrong and he should have shot the guy as soon as a firearm was brandished against him.

Who's to say the dumbass robber had nothing to lose and wasn't going to pull the gun on the clerk again as he was backing away?

Am I the only one that feels this way?

ChicagoTex
09-04-13, 12:02
Every training I've ever taken (military and civilian) is telling me that this guy was wrong and he should have shot the guy as soon as a firearm was brandished against him.

Who's to say the dumbass robber had nothing to lose and wasn't going to pull the gun on the clerk again as he was backing away?

Yes. You'll note he kept his gun trained on the perp the entire way out. A trigger pull is much easier and faster than lifting an arm, so the idea that there was a real risk he'd be shot first frankly isn't well-founded.

But the bigger picture you seem to be missing is the reality that shooting people generates an outrageous amount of personal turmoil (look at the recent Zimmerman trial as an example). All the time, energy, and cost of explaining yourself, representing yourself, and establishing your justification in the aftermath of a shooting is not something to be taken lightly, and obviously not something this gentleman was willing to incur just on the off-chance the guy who tried to rob him might be Superman.

I seem to recall over the time you've been a member of this forum you've detailed a couple incidents where you yourself felt the need to draw your weapon. In both those incidents, were you as eager to drop the hammer as you seem to be on this man's behalf?

Eurodriver
09-04-13, 12:36
But the bigger picture you seem to be missing is the reality that shooting people generates an outrageous amount of personal turmoil (look at the recent Zimmerman trial as an example). All the time, energy, and cost of explaining yourself, representing yourself, and establishing your justification in the aftermath of a shooting is not something to be taken lightly, and obviously not something this gentleman was willing to incur just on the off-chance the guy who tried to rob him might be Superman.

I seem to recall over the time you've been a member of this forum you've detailed a couple incidents where you yourself felt the need to draw your weapon. In both those incidents, were you as eager to drop the hammer as you seem to be on this man's behalf?

You make an excellent point sir. I did not pull the trigger for exactly the reasons you mentioned and what the clerk said in the article. I would have been legally justified. I even had witnesses. But I made the decision to make the guy run away rather than shoot. However, I did not have a gun in the hand of a badguy who was within arm's reach of me. I don't think I would overthink as much in that situation.

Amp Mangum
09-04-13, 13:05
http://www.news-leader.com/article/20130903/NEWS01/309030024/Marionville-liquor-store-attempted-robbery-clerk-gun-Beer-30?nclick_check=1

theblackknight
09-04-13, 13:15
Stby for internet commandos

glocktogo
09-04-13, 13:20

No...but...I always say "trust your instincts". The clerk was in the thick of things and perhaps his reptilian hind brain told him "this robber isn't committed to his course of action".

I find it very difficult to MMQB anyone who walks away without a scratch.

nml
09-04-13, 17:14
Took awhile to calm his wife down. “But I got all kinds of lovin’ when she came home.”

sboza
09-04-13, 18:28
Yes. You'll note he kept his gun trained on the perp the entire way out. A trigger pull is much easier and faster than lifting an arm, so the idea that there was a real risk he'd be shot first frankly isn't well-founded.

A lot of fail in this comment. A lot of good folks have died due to this kind of armchair crap. Action beats reaction. Thinking that a bad guy holding a gun not pointed at you gives you the advantage when you have yours on the threat is a big ****ing mistake. Again, action beats reaction! I don't have time to write a long post so others may fill you in on all the literature out there supporting this. Start with Grossman, study the OODA loop, etc... And stop giving advice you are clearly not qualified to give.

Second, it is of the utmost importance that anyone that carries a gun is not walking around with all the "what if ..." baggage that comes from an overly litigious and political system. Zimmerman or or any other example should not be a reason to shoot or not shoot. The numbers show that an overwhelming number of officer don't shoot under circumstances on which they legally could have. Most of these officers live to fight another day because the bg choose not to kill or attempt to kill the officer. The choice should never be the bg's! This all comes down to training proper mindset. This is an uphill challenge because we do not like to kill and the legal/political atmosphere in which we love. All ended well for this man so it's one in the win column. BUT, sound tactics aren't devised based on giving the bg the choice of surrendering when your life is in jeopardy.

Wish I had time to write more an proofread but hopefully my point comes across.

SteyrAUG
09-04-13, 18:51
If I had to give a grade this would be an A+.

Lots and lots and lots of ways you can **** up that situation. The main thing that stands out to me is "calm under pressure."

Frailer
09-04-13, 19:43
A lot of fail in this comment. A lot of good folks have died due to this kind of armchair crap. Action beats reaction. Thinking that a bad guy holding a gun not pointed at you gives you the advantage when you have yours on the threat is a big ****ing mistake. Again, action beats reaction! I don't have time to write a long post so others may fill you in on all the literature out there supporting this. Start with Grossman, study the OODA loop, etc... And stop giving advice you are clearly not qualified to give...

Speaking of "armchair crap..."

By your logic nobody is qualified to comment, as none of us was there.

Whether the bad guy has gun or where said gun was or was not pointed is irrelevant. The only thing that matters in such an encounter is whether the good guy believes he is in danger of death or grievous bodily harm. *Apparently* the good guy in this encounter didn't believe this was the case.

I'm not going to second-guess anybody who walks away from such a situation unscathed.

BTW, your "action beats reaction" is misapplied here.

Mac5.56
09-04-13, 20:20
If I had to give a grade this would be an A+.

Lots and lots and lots of ways you can **** up that situation. The main thing that stands out to me is "calm under pressure."

That's what I was talking about. Thank you SteyrAUG for constantly being a voice of reason.

sboza
09-04-13, 20:51
Speaking of "armchair crap..."

By your logic nobody is qualified to comment, as none of us was there.

Whether the bad guy has gun or where said gun was or was not pointed is irrelevant. The only thing that matters in such an encounter is whether the good guy believes he is in danger of death or grievous bodily harm. *Apparently* the good guy in this encounter didn't believe this was the case.

I'm not going to second-guess anybody who walks away from such a situation unscathed.

BTW, your "action beats reaction" is misapplied here.

As for the armchair comment you are trying to throw back at me, I did not critize the citizen who defeated the bg. But I see what you are trying to do. I hate that I allow myself to get sucked into the lowest common denominator area of this otherwise wonderful forum.

Regarding action defeating reaction, I did not, and do not have time right now to fully lay out my argument but it is far from misapplied. Even in simunition exercises, I can get a com hit with my gun down by my side vs a gun pointed at me (inside 5 yards) by simply canting my wrists and firing. I achieve a first hit every time. I may die but I'm taking out the good guy also. A typical bg doesn't have a high level of training and may not be able to achive this but I guarantee that there Is a high likelihood that he will be able to get a shot off first and then it's up to fate. So I do not believe that it is wise to treat a threat with a gun out as anything less than a deadly threat (barring effective cover possibly). That said, I am talking about a tactic, I never said the guy should have shot the bg nor did I criticize him in any way. Especially since I, nor anyone else here, have all the facts.

It is important for folks who carry a gun to understand this. I wish I had more time to go into further detail an sources but it's no big secret that many folks don't shoot even when they perceive a deadly threat an every individual wil have a different threshold as to when they feel that level has been reached. But knowledge, in this case the knowledge that an individual with a gun at his side can kill you even if your muzzle is pointed between his eyes, can help individuals fine tone their threat assessment.

Thee is nothing revolutionary in my comment so before you get your heels dug in, as is customers in GD, do some research and read through my, albeit hasty, comments again.

The mentality of "it worked so it must be a good tactic," is counterproductive and what leads to institutional inbreeding. If we can spread more knowledge through successful operations, we won't have to wait for more folks to die to reshape out TTP's.

Safetyhit
09-04-13, 20:58
And stop giving advice you are clearly not qualified to give.

You might be well served to follow your own suggestion. Nothing better describes an "armchair commando" than one who can't say enough negative things about a well versed ex-serviceman who successfully thwarted an armed robber with not a shot fired.

SeriousStudent
09-04-13, 21:05
Breathe, everybody, breathe......

Frailer
09-04-13, 21:06
As for the armchair comment you are trying to throw back at me, I did not critize the citizen who defeated the bg. But I see what you are trying to do. I hate that I allow myself to get sucked into the lowest common denominator area of this otherwise wonderful forum.

Regarding action defeating reaction, I did not, and do not have time right now to fully lay out my argument but it is far from misapplied. Even in simunition exercises, I can get a com hit with my gun down by my side vs a gun pointed at me (inside 5 yards) by simply canting my wrists and firing. I achieve a first hit every time. I may die but I'm taking out the good guy also. A typical bg doesn't have a high level of training and may not be able to achive this but I guarantee that there Is a high likelihood that he will be able to get a shot off first and then it's up to fate. So I do not believe that it is wise to treat a threat with a gun out as anything less than a deadly threat (barring effective cover possibly). That said, I am talking about a tactic, I never said the guy should have shot the bg nor did I criticize him in any way. Especially since I, nor anyone else here, have all the facts.

It is important for folks who carry a gun to understand this. I wish I had more time to go into further detail an sources but it's no big secret that many folks don't shoot even when they perceive a deadly threat an every individual wil have a different threshold as to when they feel that level has been reached. But knowledge, in this case the knowledge that an individual with a gun at his side can kill you even if your muzzle is pointed between his eyes, can help individuals fine tone their threat assessment.

Thee is nothing revolutionary in my comment so before you get your heels dug in, as is customers in GD, do some research and read through my, albeit hasty, comments again.

The mentality of "it worked so it must be a good tactic," is counterproductive and what leads to institutional inbreeding. If we can spread more knowledge through successful operations, we won't have to wait for more folks to die to reshape out TTP's.

You didn't seem to understand "what I was trying to do" at all.

With an appreciation for your lack of time and space to elaborate fully, here's a clear question that shouldn't take much time to answer, nor does it require you to cite any of your sources: Should the good guy have shot the bad guy or not?

There are three possible answers:

A) Yes.

B) No.

C) I don't know.

If your answer is "C" then all we can do is judge his actions by their results. Anything else is "armchairing."

sboza
09-04-13, 21:12
You might be well served to follow your own suggestion. Nothing better describes an "armchair commando" than one who can't say enough negative things about a well versed ex-serviceman who successfully thwarted an armed robber with not a shot fired.

Ahh, wondered when you'd get your troll on in this thread.

GIVE one example of something negative I said about the good guy.

SERIOUSLY, one thing.

I know you can't, just like the countless other threads you spew your venom. You are responsible for more GD threads going downhill than anyone else here. I don't understand why you are still allowed to post.

AGAIN, quote back one negative thing I said about the good guy.

P.S. I know you can't but I know your game. You'll find another way, through diversion, to attack me.

T2C
09-04-13, 21:15
The reason I posted this was because I thought most people would appreciate the story and some would find it amusing like I did. I did not anticipate the thread would turn into a pissing match. Pull in your johnsons boys, the match is over.

The thug thought he was going to prey on an innocent civilian and he ran into an experienced individual with a cool head. I'll bet the police got a chuckle out of this one.

Nobody got hurt and the thug did not get any money.

I also rate the clerk at A+.

Safetyhit
09-04-13, 21:17
Ahh, wondered when you'd get your troll on in this thread.

GIVE one example of something negative I said about the good guy.

SERIOUSLY, one thing.

I know you can't, just like the countless other threads you spew your venom. You are responsible for more GD threads going downhill than anyone else here. I don't understand why you are still allowed to post.

AGAIN, quote back one negative thing I said about the good guy.

P.S. I know you can't but I know your game. You'll find another way, through diversion, to attack me.

SS I know you're watching but give it just a moment if you will. I won't fight with this fellow.

Sboza, are you trying to claim that you did not portray that man's actions, therefore that man, in a negative light?

Cincinnatus
09-04-13, 21:22
He had some serious awareness and quick reflexes to actually see the guy drawing his gun and reach out and stop him while pulling his own. Napoleon called it coup d'oeil; an INSTANT grasp of the situation with no hesitation, denial, or freezing, coupled with an immediate an appropriate positive action to address said situation.

sboza
09-04-13, 21:41
Sboza, are you trying to claim that you did not portray that man's actions, therefore that man, in a negative light?

Ignoring the other garbage.

I don't have to claim anything. My words speak for themselves. You may be a little confused because any negativity was aimed directly at the comment by ChicagoTex. That was a bit obvious since I quoted his comment directly above my response but alas ...

Safetyhit
09-04-13, 21:49
Ignoring the other garbage.

I don't have to claim anything. My words speak for themselves. You may be a little confused because any negativity was aimed directly at the comment by ChicagoTex. That was a bit obvious since I quoted his comment directly above my response but alas ...

Oh I see. So then the statement "Action beats reaction. Thinking that a bad guy holding a gun not pointed at you gives you the advantage when you have yours on the threat is a big ****ing mistake. Again, action beats reaction!" directed specifically at the actions of the ex-serviceman and the subsequent endorsement of them by Chicago Tex has nothing to do with the ex-serviceman himself.

Is this correct?

T2C
09-04-13, 21:50
:suicide:

Mac5.56
09-04-13, 21:55
Have You Ever Been Shot At? (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=134116)

Just curious.

Have you ever been in a fist fight? Have you ever been in a military, LEO, security roll where you have been attacked? Have you ever responded to an emergency involving the threat of loss of human life?

I'm just curious. This post is not directed at any one person in particular just as a general question regarding the entire subject of this thread.

SeriousStudent
09-04-13, 22:12
Sboza - you need to lower your temperature.

This is done.