PDA

View Full Version : Best stock to balance LW 16" Mid-length carbine?

djmorris
09-04-13, 16:46
I have a lightweight BCM build that I'm attempting to really keep balanced. I'm also trying to keep it somewhat simple. I know it's not really "KISS" since I have a free float rail on it but I have no intentions of adding anything to this, beyond a weapon light. I mainly wanted to the small circumference of this particular rail system and the slightly better accuracy from a FF rail.

My current setup is a BCM 16" BFH Lightweight barrel w/ Mid-Length gas system sporting an 11" VTAC Alpha Rail on a BCM lower. I'm also running Daniel Defense front/rear fixed sights which are only around an ounce or so a piece.

The 11" VTAC Alpha is just over 10.5oz with mil-spec barrel nut.

I'll be utilizing one rail section on the modular rail (roughly 1oz) to mount my flashlight using a lightweight mount. This would mean that the rail section, mount, and light is going to add a total of roughly 6.5oz to the front of my weapon.

What stock would you recommend for a stock to keep my balance as close to perfect as possible?

These are the stocks I'm considering and their aprox weights. I'm open to all options really.

B5 Bravo - 8.25oz
Magpul MOE - 8.25oz (Enhanced buttpad will bring to about 9.5oz)
Magpul STR - 12oz
Magpul Fixed Carbine Stock - 8.25oz
VLTOR iMod - 9.25oz
VLTOR eMod - 14oz

Any other options I should be considering? Anyone else running a similar setup want to weigh in? My main concern is that a MOE, Bravo, etc is going to be too light once I add that additional 6oz+ from a weapon light.

Also, I agree that sometimes the whole balance thing is overblown so I won't nitpick about the smallest of things but surely there is a clear direction I should be going with this.

evoutfitters
09-04-13, 16:49
I'd vote for the Magpul STR. The weight will definitely bring your rifle's balance point farther back, but you won't feel the stock's heaviness over your other choices because it is right up against your shoulder (no moment arm to speak of). Plus, you'll get excellent cheek weld and a decent hook for your support side hand when shooting prone.

polymorpheous
09-04-13, 16:53
B5 SOPMOD is working well for me.

Wanted to add, I'm running a 9" Troy Vtac w/ the FSB.

RickyK
09-04-13, 17:08
I did a similar build and used an ACS stock, of the ones you listed I think I would go with the eMod.

txf15crewchief
09-04-13, 17:39
I have a similar build, a BCM standard Mid-16 LW. Even with MOE handguards and HSP/Inforce WML it balances quite well with a B5 Bravo .

jbo723
09-04-13, 17:46
I have a similar build also and opted for the CTR with enhanced pad. Seems to balance perfect for me.

djmorris
09-04-13, 19:01
I have a similar build also and opted for the CTR with enhanced pad. Seems to balance perfect for me.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the MOE/CTR with enhanced buttpad at this point just because the 9.5 - 10.5oz range seems like it could be ideal whereas the 12oz+ range of an STR may be overkill? I really don't need storage, either.

jerrysimons
09-04-13, 19:17
CTR with enhanced butt pad sounds pretty good, more maybe if you run a heavy optic.

RyanB
09-04-13, 19:20
I've had several rifles like that and used an iMod on all of them.

grunz
09-04-13, 23:08
Where do you want your rifle to balance?

SPDSNYPR
09-04-13, 23:48
This is a totally subjective question that only you can answer. What I think provides the best balance may totally suck for you.

I don't mind my rifles being a little nose-heavy, so to me a lighter stock is better.

VIP3R 237
09-05-13, 00:04
The winner is the B5 Bravo. It is the best combination of weight, cheekweld, and cost.

Oro
09-05-13, 01:36
Here's a slightly different take you might think about:

Solid A1 length stock.

I do this on all carbines (LW barrels) because the best handling AR I have ever touched was a box-stock pre-ban Colt LW Sporter, R6530. It has the unicorn-like A1-length "CS" solid stock on it. I keep that gun in the box mostly, but to replicate it's balance on other guns, and since I don't want to pay $200 the one time a year a Colt "CS" stock comes available used, I do this: I use a LW carbine barrel, and then a Cav Arms C1 stock body/rubber buttplate with otherwise generic rifle hardware (tube, buffer, swivel, screws). I happen to have this kit sitting off a gun right now, awaiting to be sprayed FDE. It weighs 13ozs (stock, buttplate, hardware but NOT the tube and buffer - tubes would be about the same as carbine but the bufffer slightly heavier (2ozs carb buffer vs. rifle I thnk(?)).

My front ends wear no tactical gear, but I find that weight plus the rifle buffer + tube weight to balance perfectly with 16" LW barrels, and many others do to. I find the positive weld to offset the very minor advantage of saving a few inches in the range bag or trunk. I've had a few friends have me kit this together for their carbines, though the ones with m4 bbls still feel badly nose-heavy and slow, but better.

Grand58742
09-05-13, 03:06
I have a CTR on my LW setup, but I don't have anything on the front end that needs a lot of counter balancing. Seems okay to me.

sammage
09-05-13, 08:23
Some good thoughts on balancing out different profiles with stocks: http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/ar15-buttstock-considerations

My vote is B5 SOPMOD Bravo.

narco23
09-05-13, 11:13
I am very interested in the B5 Bravo. I remember seeing some issues with them being prett tight on DD rifles. I was wondering if that has been fixed or is it was a non-issue to begin with? Any DD owners with input?

HardToHandle
09-05-13, 21:28
I've tried the CTR but found the ACS-L better in balance plus an improved cheekweld.

jet66
09-06-13, 10:00
I've tried the CTR but found the ACS-L better in balance plus an improved cheekweld.

+1. My wife's 16" LW middie has the ACS-L, Samson/Rainier Evo rail, and it is nicely balanced both with and without her SWFA 1-4X on it.

It's definitely going to be about personal preference in the end, though. Lots of great options to choose from.

RWH24
09-06-13, 11:22
Question?
Do you prefer the slope of a B5/STR stock or the MOE/CTR cheekweld?
How about the B5 SOPMOD original for a little more weight than the B5 Bravo?

http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/ar15-buttstock-considerations

Tzook
09-06-13, 13:59
Another vote for the SOPMOD, I think it's a fantastic stock and my rifle feels very balanced

RCI1911
09-06-13, 14:26
I had a 14.5" LW middy with a Moe handguard and an eMod stock and it balance pretty neutral. I've got another 14.5" LW middy with Moe handguard w/weaponlight and an Ergo F93 on it and it is butt heavy, but I prefer that balance. I think you will be slightly nose heavy with any of those choices given your setup. If you want something neutral balanced or tail heavy you may need a setup like a Magpul UBR or Ergo F93.

Looking at it from a choice purely based on the stock itself I really like the iMod and eMod stocks. Excellent cheek weld and very tight to the buffer tube.

GH41
09-06-13, 16:35
It sounds like you already have the light but if you don't look at a Thorntail 1913 and WML from Haley. Use a plastic MOE rail and everything will be under 4oz. 2 1/2 oz savings on the end of a barrel is huge. B5 stock. GH