PDA

View Full Version : Wolf

smith m4
08-24-06, 20:04
is wolf .223 ok to shoot

what brand ammo do you guys out there prefer?

Boom
08-24-06, 20:24
I like wolf, for the price I shoot the piss out of it. Lots of guys do not like it but I never really have problems with it. I use it only for plinking and matches. I use brassed case ammo for serious work.

Just make sure and clean your weapon well after each use and you should not have problems.

shark15
08-24-06, 21:09
Same here I have never had a problem with Wolf in my ARs or AKs i've been threw about 6 cases of .223 and about 2 cases of 7.62x39 and 2 cases of 9mm.
I only have had problems with .45acp I use in a RPB M10/45 OBS. Seems to jam sometimes but it could also be a mag issue.

Al U. 5811
08-24-06, 21:13
I like it because it was economical for practice. Not so much anymore at $150 a case locally, but no ammo is cheap right now. It's not loaded really hot and is super dirty but I haven't heard about any squibs or blown guns from the stuff with my limited knowlege. Clean like you should and you'll be fine. Shoot it with confidence.

Saint
08-24-06, 21:14
I have shot around 500 rounds so far(of Wolf). 55grainFMJ Polymer and I have only had one round that was bad.

There was no gunpowder in the case and the primer got stuck on the firing pin(I think, it ended up in the lower when I took the uper off))which put my rifle out of action during the middle of a bowling pin match:(

I had to put the chargin handle against the edge of a bench and slam it as hard as I could to dislodge the problem. (I do not know if the was the proper procedure, but it worked and have not had a problem since.)

I will continue to buy Wolf, I love the smell:D

DBautista
08-24-06, 21:37
Like everyone says... Wolf is cost effective...

I shoot .223 Wolf on an 11.5 and a 16. I must have shot 2 cases easy and had <10 duds, that is acceptable, the stuff is for blasting. People say that the steel casing is bad for the bolt, I still have the OEM bolt in both ARs and have shot a wide variety of ammo.

I shoot cases of the 9mm and 45, my Glocks love the stuff!!!

Keep the good stuff at home or special occasions, you know, Jack Daniels for the friends and The Glenlivet for yourself...

sdcromer
08-24-06, 22:12
I've shot Wolf in my AR with no problems whatsoever. It's not loaded too hot, but it goes bang every time.

MudBug
08-25-06, 01:49
I used to shoot nothing but Wolf (I am the originator of "If your rifle won't shoot Wolf, then you need to fix your rifle") till I took a Tactical Response HRCC class in July.

It seems that it doesn't like 110* days and repeatedly shooting drills that consisted of mag dump after mag dump till the team made it to cover, the downed operator was retrieved, or the threat was suppressed. (Violence of Action Rocks).

Anyway, I'm not sure if it was the polymer melting and sticking in the chamber, or the ball powder getting hot and causing pressure spikes (I had some very flat primers), but I kept having extraction problems that I had never had before, and even one case that ripped in half.

I'll still shoot it for plinking and 3 gun matches, but like Boom, I won't trust it for hard use.

rob_s
08-25-06, 04:39
Count me as another one that will use it for matches but not for classes or "real" use.

SuicideHz
08-25-06, 08:20
Ok, for Smith's second question, what do you prefer? Actually it seems 99% of you so far prefer the Wolf for blasting.

I just ordered 2x720rd. cases of the Radway Green for a friend and me. It's 20.4 cents per round shipped- true M855 supposedly. I think it will make great range ammo.

Smith- now ask them what they use for serious shooting and home defense and then ask the price of that stuff...

smith m4
08-25-06, 08:29
Smith- now ask them what they use for serious shooting and home defense and then ask the price of that stuff...

Well fellows what ammo is the good stuff and what does it cost?

Nitrox
08-25-06, 10:04
My only gripe with Wolf ammo is the inconsistency. The velocity is all over the place and the QC is poor. I still have ammo cans full of the stuff but would rather shoot my reloads.

rob_s
08-25-06, 10:18
Well fellows what ammo is the good stuff and what does it cost?
If price was no object, this (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=453654) is what I'd shoot all the time at the range and I'd keep my self-defense mags loaded with this (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=438029).

SuicideHz
08-25-06, 10:54
Wow, that's nice of Midway to basically just show us that those two products exist considering they are out and won't be getting any in :mad:

There was that guy selling Mk262 on TOS awhile back for like $36 per 50 rounds or something...

MSU721
08-25-06, 12:47
A friend and I were interested to find out how bad the polymer cased wolf ammo was, so we took a clean bushmaster lubed with TW25B, and over the course of a few weeks we but over a thousand rounds of the stuff through the gun.

The gun never had a stoppage, and I believe today it is still in use with all the same parts, probably still running Wolf steel cased ammo. So we really couldn't say that the stuff was that bad for the gun. The extractor is still fine and everything cleaned off well.

It certainly isn't consistent, or very accurate, but it seems to ignite reliably and feed ok. I would not use it for serious tasks, but for plinking and non-serious shooting I think it is ok.

I would defiantly clean my gun after shooting the stuff, and I would not use the old lacquer coated stuff, but the polymer seems to be fine.

John Chapman
08-25-06, 15:49
As MudBug said, we have had some issues of cases sticking in .223 / 5.56 chambers after being left in the chamber after a heavy string of fire. We have found that locking the bolt back after a hard string of fire can mitigate the effects of heat melting the polymer coating from the Wolf into the chamber. We have, however, stopped recommending Wolf for AR's. We continue to recommend it for AK's, where we have not seen the same issue, even after trying to induce this particular failure.

Harv
08-25-06, 17:26
I ran a case of the Polymer Wolf thru my Bushy and it ran fine, but I'm with the rest of the group as far as using it for what I consider Hard use (Classes) It works fine for my practice session's and competitions and such, but if you start to "Put the Spur's" to you AR like I will do in a class, I don't mess around with Wolf. I want good decent loaded brass ammo for something I paid money to attend.

roland mortimer
08-25-06, 21:03
I don't dare to try it ,have heard to many horor stories,its just not worth the savings to see my rifle go" boom" in a bad way.:)

blaster22
08-26-06, 03:10
I've been using Federal AE223 for a LONG time, since it was in the white boxes. Until the last year, I was paying about $160/1000. Now it's gone up, way up, and is getting much harder to find. Excellent ammo. Accurate, consistent, NEVER a bad round. I use Wolf in my AK 5.56 Arsenal. Wolf has gotten too expensive, in my opinion. I'm breaking my 550 out of mothballs. Just got 2,000 WCC bullets, 748 powder, and WSR primer sleeve (5000). I don't get alot of enjoyment out of reloading, but I'm not going to shoot up my stash of good stuff. Ammo is going up again in October. Guys, stock up and buy a Dillon.

Griz
08-26-06, 11:33
I don't dare to try it ,have heard to many horor stories,its just not worth the savings to see my rifle go" boom" in a bad way.:)

I've never heard of a kaboom involving steel cased Wolf. Just stuck cases and poor accuracy.

Has anyone seen an AR KB involving Wolf?

TOrrock
08-26-06, 11:38
I use Russian steel case stuff in weapons designed by Russians for it, SKS's, AK's, Makarov's, etc.

I don't use it in Western firearms.

I know plenty of people who do and don't have issues, but I've seen too many people with stuck cases in chambers to use it.

UNIT 6639
08-28-06, 05:32
I was using Wolf up until my local shop (Va Arms) stopped carrying it. Apparently alot of customers were having problems with it in their rifles.

Worked 100% in mine :confused: , seems that Va arms is not the only one to stop selling it.

I used to get it from Dicks as well, but they stopped selling it for the same reasons as Va Arms did.

Heavy Metal
08-28-06, 18:41
I used to shoot nothing but Wolf (I am the originator of "If your rifle won't shoot Wolf, then you need to fix your rifle") till I took a Tactical Response HRCC class in July.

It seems that it doesn't like 110* days and repeatedly shooting drills that consisted of mag dump after mag dump till the team made it to cover, the downed operator was retrieved, or the threat was suppressed. (Violence of Action Rocks).

Anyway, I'm not sure if it was the polymer melting and sticking in the chamber, or the ball powder getting hot and causing pressure spikes (I had some very flat primers), but I kept having extraction problems that I had never had before, and even one case that ripped in half.

I'll still shoot it for plinking and 3 gun matches, but like Boom, I won't trust it for hard use.

I have had a similar experience. Wolf loves cold and hates hot.

smith m4
08-29-06, 20:36
Here's the deal.

Before I knew better I ordered and received 1000 rounds of Wolf (steel cased) for my new S&W M&P 15. ( I have already shot 150 rounds)

Now that I know I should not shoot the steel cased stuff and why; I need to know if it would be a disaster to shoot the 850 rounds I have left or if I should just chunk it and say lesson learned.

PS: If anyone wants to take it off my hands shoot me a pm with an offer! However I will not ship if you want it you will have to make arrangements to meet me within 25 miles of my house to get it.

TOrrock
08-29-06, 20:38
Buy an AK in 5.56mm.......:D

Sorry, couldn't resist...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Range%206-11-06/sam501.jpg

smith m4
08-29-06, 20:47
I have had a few people tell me that the steal case will eat up the bolt and is horrible for the receiver since it is alumnium.

Any info. on this?

TOrrock
08-29-06, 20:49
I don't see it eating up the bolt, but I can see it putting a little more wear on the case deflector as it's ejected.

smith m4
08-29-06, 20:51
You think it will hurt to burn up the 850 rounds I have left?

TOrrock
08-29-06, 20:53
You think it will hurt to burn up the 850 rounds I have left?

I'll think you'll be fine.

Just a little friendly busting about having to buy an AK in 5.56mm....;)

smith m4
08-29-06, 21:04
Templar I understand the joking.

This is my first AR and I have saved a long time for it so I just want it to last me a long long time. Sorry if I seem like I am babying the thing I dont' want to hunrt it.

After this 1000 rounds of Wolf she's only gonna see Lake City. (that is as long as I can find it)

Oh yeah Templar my next gun is gonna be an AK in 5.56!

superswamper
08-30-06, 21:26
I've used Wolf ammo before. It is some dirty stuff, make sure you strip your gun down and clean the gunk out of it. youll find the purple primer sealnt inside your bolt most likely.

YMMV :p