PDA

View Full Version : Is a normal-sized carbine still preferred over a harder-hitting SBR?

Tacti-square
09-04-13, 20:12
Given the choice between a 14.5/16 in 5.56 and a shorty/super-shorty in something a little beefier like .300 BLK or 6.8, who would still pick the non-NFA gun? Couldn't find the statistic but I heard that 6.8 SPC still has more than twice the muzzle energy with an 8" barrel than a regular M4? I'd assume it also penetrates barriers better as well. Any thoughts?

Clint
09-04-13, 20:20
I suppose the answer depends on what your priorities are.

I know that's not a very "easy" answer, but its the right one.

Yes, the larger calibers have clearly better terminal performance than 5.56.

The more appropriate question is:
Does that advantage justify the increased "costs"?

mikeith
09-04-13, 20:23
Have you heard an 8" 6.8???? It's painful to say the least! Not something I recommend unsuppressed for a defense weapon.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, but stopped carrying my SBR in my car after being told when dealing with an NFA item. "Just" being locked in your car was illegal for things like sbr's, suppressors, etc.

Someone one feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (I would much rather carry my sbr due to it being substantially easier to get to without the extra length)

texasgunhand
09-04-13, 22:55
You might have better luck in the NFA forum with that one...

Iraqgunz
09-04-13, 23:26
I guess someone was bored this evening and wanted to ask lots of questions.

PalmettoPrecision
09-04-13, 23:54
I guess someone was bored this evening and wanted to ask lots of questions.

What's wrong with questions?

To answer the OP's question, for my uses a .300 Blk SBR with a supressor would fill role better as a close to mid range weapon than a 16" carbine, especially if my rifle is filling a HD role. Also, my local terrain is thick with trees and buildings, which does not allow for many sight lines past 200 meters.

Vandal
09-05-13, 02:25
In my state I can't have a SBR so I have to deal with my 14.5in barrel with pinned flash hider.

Palmetto Precision, there is nothing wrong with questions until you look at the OP's post/ thread starting history to include the RECOIL magazine op-ed sounding thread on the BCM/HSP Jack.

Iraqgunz
09-05-13, 02:28
At least you picked up on it.

In my state I can't have a SBR so I have to deal with my 14.5in barrel with pinned flash hider.

Palmetto Precision, there is nothing wrong with questions until you look at the OP's post/ thread starting history to include the RECOIL magazine op-ed sounding thread on the BCM/HSP Jack.

JSantoro
09-05-13, 07:54
What's wrong with questions?

...that are open-ended and can effectively be answered by a deluge of nothing more than "me/not me" posts (center of gravity was "..., who would still...?" not any aspect of the systems themselves, soupled with some gloriously undefined kinda/sorta guestimation wrapped in a conundrum and disguised as a caliber question), and is not framed in a way so as to not result in a virtual bukkake of opinions expressed for no more than the sake of Saying Something...?

That are substantively no different than any of the other "Why an SBR...?" thread...?

That could have been put in one of those without starting a new one....again...?

That belong either in Beyond 5.56 or NFA...?

There's nothing wrong with questions; there are, however, TONS of problems we commonly see crop up around poorly-worded, murky questions that folks like to kid themselves into thinking are being asked for the first time. Not being one of the folks that has to clean the puke off the cafeteria floor, you'd not necessarily know this...

However, had you sent IG a PM to ask why he put it the way he did, you'd likely have gotten an explanation without skylining yourself.

Between the hot mess of a start and Fantasy Whistleblower, here.....