PDA

View Full Version : New Knife Carry Laws in Texas?

TXBK
09-05-13, 08:08
I am having trouble finding the changes to the knife carry laws in Texas. Can someone direct me to the proper information?

afff_667
09-05-13, 08:34
I'll search around and see if I can find the "official" text, but the change in knife law in Texas now allows one to possess, manufacture, transport, repair, and/or sell a switchblade/auto-opener in Texas. The new law applies only to auto-openers, so the restrictions on length, "dirks, daggers, stilletos," etc remain in place.

What wasn't included in the bill, however, was preemption, so local ordinances in places like San Antonio that are more restrictive may remain in effect.

TXBK
09-05-13, 08:45
I knew that it pertained to OTF/Auto/Switchblade knives, but can't find the text. I guess if the laws regarding daggers are still the same, then double-edged OTF knives are still a no go.

Renegade
09-05-13, 09:40
Switchblades are no longer illegal as of 09/01 via HB1862.

http://www.kniferights.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=221&Itemid=1

SeriousStudent
09-05-13, 22:13
I knew that it pertained to OTF/Auto/Switchblade knives, but can't find the text. I guess if the laws regarding daggers are still the same, then double-edged OTF knives are still a no go.

From all the reading I have been doing, you are correct about double-edged blades being a no-go.

Kinda makes it tough to get a single-edged OTF. Paragon OTF autos from Asheville Steel seem to be you main hope, along with Microtech. Good luck finding either, they are out of stock most places I have looked.

If you are near DFW or Houston, you might try one of the gun shows this fall.

Moose-Knuckle
09-06-13, 14:56
This is a step in the right direction for once. I will be shopping for some autos soon.

williejc
09-06-13, 20:41
I like buying from Bladeops.

thopkins22
09-06-13, 20:59
The HK knives line from Benchmade has some nice single edged OTF autos. I was looking at them today. The Benchmade Infidel next to it was far more bad ass though...wish it was legal.

SeriousStudent
09-06-13, 22:21
The HK knives line from Benchmade has some nice single edged OTF autos. I was looking at them today. The Benchmade Infidel next to it was far more bad ass though...wish it was legal.

I have a friend that is probably going to buy one of those. If she does, I'll let you know what she thinks of it.

The feedback on Bladeforums is pretty good on them, for the price.

My Auto-Axis Presidio and matching trainer arrived today, and I am very happy with them.

youngAR
09-06-13, 23:43
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=83R&Bill=HB1862

Check out BladeHQ

Moose-Knuckle
09-13-13, 19:55
So anyone order yet? I'm finding online vendors who still require MIL/LEO credentials.

thopkins22
09-13-13, 20:11
So anyone order yet? I'm finding online vendors who still require MIL/LEO credentials.

Beckwith's Blades in Houston will sell to you...of course they would have before the law too for "collecting."

I know they have a website, but I don't think their entire inventory is on it. Probably worth a call.

Downside is they're in state so you'll pay sales tax.

TXBK
09-13-13, 20:27

BladeHQ will definitely sell to you regardless. That is where I purchased mine, some time ago.

I have a friend that is probably going to buy one of those. If she does, I'll let you know what she thinks of it.

The feedback on Bladeforums is pretty good on them, for the price.

My Auto-Axis Presidio and matching trainer arrived today, and I am very happy with them.

I have one of the single-bladed HK brand Benchmade's and it is nice, especially for ~$180. http://www.bladehq.com/item--HK-Tumult-OTF--5245

I am, by far, more fond of the double-edged Microtech, but it is still to be admired at home. http://www.bladehq.com/item--Microtech-UTX70-DA-OTF-DE--7672

House of Blades in North Fort Worth(Lakeworth), has a wide assortment of OTF/Auto knives that you can handle. With their overhead, they cannot compete with internet prices though.

SeriousStudent
09-13-13, 22:02
Actually found out about stocking Benchmade auto dealer about 2 miles from my house. A friend gave me the hookup. :D

thopkins22
09-14-13, 20:41
Seems that the Austrians and Germans are getting along.

So far I like it. Well built, comes out the front with a purpose, and it's my understanding that they're built by Benchmade which is a good thing. We'll see as time goes on I reckon.
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/thopkins22/793ebe96-1fee-494f-9309-debaf1e62b7c.jpg (http://s476.photobucket.com/user/thopkins22/media/793ebe96-1fee-494f-9309-debaf1e62b7c.jpg.html)

ETA: And apparently I paid too much.
I have one of the single-bladed HK brand Benchmade's and it is nice, especially for ~$180. http://www.bladehq.com/item--HK-Tumult-OTF--5245 :( I'm still happy with it.

09-14-13, 22:35
Glad I've always been allowed to legally carry this.. http://i40.tinypic.com/vgtwlu.jpg

It's time for a new auto. Thinking about the Benchmade Adamas.

SeriousStudent
09-15-13, 01:57
One thing I really do like about the Benchmade autos is their Auto-Axis. It's very easy to use with either hand. That's very useful if you do something really stupid to your right hand, and have to move gear to the opposite side.

Like I did. :rolleyes:

BigLarge
09-15-13, 23:55

I've used an HK/Benchmade auto on-duty for the last 6 years. Easily my favorite knife.

afff_667
09-16-13, 15:06
I carried a Benchmade 9052-AFOII back when I was still a FF/Paramedic and really liked it. I sold that knife about 18 months ago because I could no longer carry it legally after medical retirement from the fire service.

My usual luck and timing...

clarkarchery
09-19-13, 20:51
I was told that you still have to check city laws. Places like San Antonio still dont allow them. Just what i heard.

texasgunhand
09-19-13, 23:31
I would check local laws,, SA doesnt allow lock blade knives in its city limits. but i too am waiting on mine to come in..lol

thopkins22
09-20-13, 12:32
I was told that you still have to check city laws. Places like San Antonio still dont allow them. Just what i heard.

San Antonio is the only place I've heard of outside of the UK that doesn't allow locking knives of any variety. I can't tell you how many times I went there with a framelock before I ever heard of that.

To the best of my knowledge the rest of the state is good to go, though I'm sure there could be some podunk little town with a stupid law on the books.

I know Houston is good.

TXBK
09-20-13, 21:46
Checking local laws is never a "bad" idea, but I would think state law would trump a local ordinance. It seems to me that this would be the same as them saying that you cannot CCW in their city. I have never changed my EDC while in San Antonio. If true, it is good information of which to be aware. I try to avoid even Texas' large cities.

Whiskey_Bravo
09-20-13, 23:03
San Antonio is the only place I've heard of outside of the UK that doesn't allow locking knives of any variety. I can't tell you how many times I went there with a framelock before I ever heard of that.

To the best of my knowledge the rest of the state is good to go, though I'm sure there could be some podunk little town with a stupid law on the books.

I know Houston is good.

I lived there for a couple of years and have to say I never changed my knife carry habits(that including a locking knife).

afff_667
09-21-13, 08:30
Checking local laws is never a "bad" idea, but I would think state law would trump a local ordinance. It seems to me that this would be the same as them saying that you cannot CCW in their city. I have never changed my EDC while in San Antonio. If true, it is good information of which to be aware. I try to avoid even Texas' large cities.

There was a clause struck from the original bill presented on auto-opening knives that would have preempted or trumped local laws. For whatever reason, the bill went forward and was signed into law such that local laws could be more restrictive.

It's not the podunk towns that I worry about...Austin is another one I need to check on for restrictions greater than state law.

TXBK
09-21-13, 09:03
There was a clause struck from the original bill presented on auto-opening knives that would have preempted or trumped local laws. For whatever reason, the bill went forward and was signed into law such that local laws could be more restrictive.

It's not the podunk towns that I worry about...Austin is another one I need to check on for restrictions greater than state law.

Thank you, that is good info to keep in mind.
Now that I have a family, Austin is even less attractive of a place to visit anyway. San Antonio, however, still has family oriented attractions. My son would probably let me off with not taking him back to Sea World, as long as we stop by the Snake Farm EVERY time we pass by (and I mean both ways).

RWH24
09-25-13, 00:19
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1321/4777050/18933083/405959937.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1321/4777050/18933083/405959938.jpg

Benchmade 2550 Mini-Reflex and the bigger 9050SBK AFO

http://dsgarms.com/Category/532_1/Auto_Knives.aspx

Sniper80
09-26-13, 20:54
i have ordered numerous so far this month from bladehq, blade ops, and hollow grind. i live in houston

msr
10-06-13, 11:20

Buddy of mine opened his little Benchmade sitting at a bar the other night to pull a "skin tag" on his finger and the bartender freaked out. Told us the new law in Austin was "no brandishing a blade of any kind"? Kind of sounds asinine but so does "no" lock blade in SA.

TXBK
10-06-13, 11:32
Buddy of mine opened his little Benchmade sitting at a bar the other night to pull a "skin tag" on his finger and the bartender freaked out. Told us the new law in Austin was "no brandishing a blade of any kind"? Kind of sounds asinine but so does "no" lock blade in SA.

Was your buddy trying to purchase a brewski at knifepoint? Maybe the bartender is freaked out by self-mutilation? All kidding aside, it sounds like the bartender was doing his part to keep Austin wierd!

srsbiz
10-08-13, 17:27
wow didn't know the laws changed. Good post.
Now to find a new EDC!
Anyone got suggestions besides the ones already posted?

TXBK
10-08-13, 18:43
Now to find a new EDC!

I mainly use bladehq.com for my knife needs, but there are many others. I can only speak of Microtech and the H&K OTF knives, and they can be purchased from ~$200 to well over $1000. I have not experienced the need to carry either, yet, and it seems more of a novelty idea due my current carry options. However, it does give me an alternate choice. Most often an EESE Izula and Mini Grip or just a ZT0350 cover my EDC needs. There seems to be fewer options of auto knives in stock, currently, due to whatever reason. .

texasgunhand
10-09-13, 01:49
Just a reminder,,, no double edge weapons in Texas still. Be carefull some OTF are double edge...

halo2304
10-09-13, 21:08
Now to find a new EDC!

Microtech HALO III ;)