PDA

View Full Version : Beretta vs SIG

maitresaman
04-22-08, 17:44
I'm back...For those who remember I was looking at the P99 vs the M&P and chose correctly. The M&P 40 is awesome. Now I'm looking for a 9mm and I am a bit confused. Here are the models I'm looking at Beretta PX4, Beretta 92, and SIG 226.

The 226 seems to fit wonderfully in my hand better than the Beretta models, however I have only shot the 226 in a .357 which I was not as accurate with. I was dead on with the Beretta 92 but am wondering if the lighter weight PX4 will do just as fine.

Any preferences?

Powder Burns
04-22-08, 17:56
If you can get one of the italian made Berettas 92's I'd go with that. What do you want the 9mm for? Target shooting, ccw, home defense? For CCW the sigs are on the heavy side, can't say too much about their overall accuracy as I've only fired a few models. But uh, to be a little opinionated, if you already have a .40s&w, you need to go up to .45 auto now...not down to 9mm. ;)

And to be digressing a little further, my hk uspc in 9mm is past 3600 rounds with no malfunctions, and repeatedly shoots through the same hole at 10yd.

So the underlying question is, what is the pistol's intended use?

ToddG
04-22-08, 18:07
I'm not a big fan of the PX4, but neither do I have a lot of personal time behind one. The 92 and P226, on the other hand, I've shot a little bit. :cool:

The SIG will, on average, have the accuracy advantage. But, it's still going to be luck of the draw. I've had incredibly accurate stock Berettas and mediocre stock SIGs.

From a reliability standpoint, the Beretta probably has a little advantage but both are going to be more reliable than you'll ever be able to measure in a meaningful way. Again, you could get a particular good (or bad) example of either.

From a durability standpoint, both guns have some things to keep an eye on but unless you get a problem gun (or a problem part), they'll both easily surpass 20k before you need to worry about any serious preventative parts replacement other than some pins and springs. For the Beretta, the locking block is the major thing to watch, as well as the trigger return spring. For the SIG, the takedown lever, sear spring retaining pin, and hammer rebound spring are the things I've seen have problems the most.

Egonomically, I prefer the SIG by far. Thinner grip and smaller size for the same number of rounds. The Beretta (unless you get a "G" model) has a safety on the slide which is too easy to activate unintentionally under stressful conditions. On the other hand, the slide release on the SIG is located in such a place that many people need to change their grip to get the slide to lock back reliably. If you can get it, the Short Reset Trigger mechanism available for the SIG (which ironically has nothing to do with the trigger itself) substantially improves the shootability of the gun.

Both guns will benefit substantially from an action job, but in my experience a stock SIG will get "more better" over time than a stock Beretta.

Powder Burns
04-22-08, 18:18
Ah yes you pointed out my only dislike of the sig series, and that is their controls. The slide catch and safety are somewhat awkward for me to manipulate, on the p226 and p220 I've noticed this. I have to shift my grip on the pistol if I want to manually engage the slide catch, and that is a (bad)habit of mine when clearing jams. If my gun doesn't fire I don't do the tap/rack/bang drill at all, I remove the mag entirely and rack the slide with the same hand, pistol-gripped hand engages slide catch, shake out jammed/misfed case, reinsert mag & release slide catch. Seems more efficient to me, but I can't do it smoothly on the sig series pistols. Works best for me with 1911s, glocks, HKs, and other models with similar slide catch location.

M4Guru
04-22-08, 18:23
While my order of preference would be:

92F

PX4

I have to say, I have to this date fired 3 9mm PX4s, and all were freakishly accurate. I'm not totally down with the rotating barrel after the issues the old Cougars or whatever they were called had, but these guns shot straight into tiny groups.

RogerinTPA
04-22-08, 18:28
I have a PX-4 in .40 cal. It's a very smooth shooter (My 105lbs girlfriend even says so ;) ) It shoots very well for me, But...It did start acting up on me after 3k rounds. Slide lock stopped working and had to send it back. It works like a champ now.

Fail-Safe
04-22-08, 18:29
I prefer the SIG P226. But not the current ones. I was such a SIG afficionado(whore) that my preference was for the late 90's stamped, rolled carbon slides. I feel this wy when it comes to the P228 vs P229 debate. I still have two of my eight P226s. One made in 1996 was my first pistol, and one made in 1998 was Dallas PD issued, both with stamped slides.

The only Beretta I would ever consider is the Elite1A in 9mm. I will do strange things for one of those.....wait....not THAT strange.

maitresaman
04-22-08, 18:36
If you can get one of the italian made Berettas 92's I'd go with that. What do you want the 9mm for? Target shooting, ccw, home defense? For CCW the sigs are on the heavy side, can't say too much about their overall accuracy as I've only fired a few models. But uh, to be a little opinionated, if you already have a .40s&w, you need to go up to .45 auto now...not down to 9mm. ;)

And to be digressing a little further, my hk uspc in 9mm is past 3600 rounds with no malfunctions, and repeatedly shoots through the same hole at 10yd.

So the underlying question is, what is the pistol's intended use?

I'm looking for something that's cheaper at the range than the 40 and possible a CCW.

The SIG250 is nice for a conceal and so is the PX4. I'm more interested in a really good 9mm. If I want to go conceal 100% I'd do the Walther PPS or a S&W airlite 357 revolver.

maitresaman
04-22-08, 18:40
I prefer the SIG P226. But not the current ones. I was such a SIG afficionado(whore) that my preference was for the late 90's stamped, rolled carbon slides. I feel this wy when it comes to the P228 vs P229 debate. I still have two of my eight P226s. One made in 1996 was my first pistol, and one made in 1998 was Dallas PD issued, both with stamped slides.

The only Beretta I would ever consider is the Elite1A in 9mm. I will do strange things for one of those.....wait....not THAT strange.

Ok, so why not get the M9A1 or is that the same?

Alpha Sierra
04-22-08, 20:37
Let me ask the obvious question. Why not another M&P?

maitresaman
04-22-08, 20:38

Thought about that, but I want something different.

ToddG
04-22-08, 20:41

That would (obviously :cool: ) be my advice, too, but I understand that some people just want more/different guns for the sake of having more/different guns.

John_Wayne777
04-22-08, 20:42
I'd listen to Todd's advice carefully.

Personally, I've never really gotten along with the full-sized Sigs. My fingers are just too short to work the DA trigger like I want to, but they are just big enough to deactivate the slide lock when I'm shooting them. All my Sigs have been good guns, but just not ideally suited for me.

I much prefer the Beretta 92 series pistols. The trigger return spring on them is a huge pain in the neck because they break so often...but I solved that with the Wolff TCU. I've always shot my 92s easily, but when I had Ernie Langdon do custom work on my 92FS it got MUCH better....although the chrome plating I had put on it makes people ask you if it's a Taurus. :D

If it fits your hands, the 92 is usually a great shooting handgun. When I train new shooters they generally love my 92 because of the Langdon trigger and the soft recoil.

My first generation "Elite" in 9mm:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0501.jpg

My 92FS:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/92fs.jpg

John_Wayne777
04-22-08, 20:44
Thought about that, but I want something different.

Then you'll end up like me with 30 handguns and a huge box full of holsters you've collected looking for the ideal carry gun.

ToddG
04-22-08, 20:49
I'd listen to Todd's advice carefully.

If only the rest of the world were as wise as you, my friend.

Personally, I've never really gotten along with the full-sized Sigs. My fingers are just too short to work the DA trigger like I want to, but they are just big enough to deactivate the slide lock when I'm shooting them. All my Sigs have been good guns, but just not ideally suited for me.

Just about anyone who uses a thumbs-forward grip will ride the slide release lever unless they're willing to change their grip specifically for the SIG. It's a minor, easy change that doesn't have any practical effect on shootability (and won't negatively affect you if you pick up a different gun), but it does require a little dedicated training. It's probably much harder for 1911 addicts.

Have you ever shot a SIG with the short trigger? Makes the trigger reach substantially shorter. I put the short trigger in every P220, P226, and P229 I used. All of the P226/P229 bought off the ICE/DHS contract come with the short trigger standard.

I much prefer the Beretta 92 series pistols. The trigger return spring on them is a huge pain in the neck because they break so often...but I solved that with the Wolff TCU.

I just change the trigger spring whenever I change the recoil spring. I never liked the TCU, I felt it negatively impacted the feel of the trigger and, unless you used the heavy-duty one (which increased trigger pull), it made for a very weak trigger reset.

I've always shot my 92s easily, but when I had Ernie Langdon do custom work on my 92FS it got MUCH better.

Having shot a Langdon 92G and a Langdon P226 side-by-side, I'd say just about anyone would be smart to choose either of them. Too bad Ernest isn't open for business working on guns anymore. :(

John_Wayne777
04-22-08, 20:56
Nope...I've never tried one of the short trigger Sigs. All the full sized Sigs I ever owned were the old stamped style slide models...they had some nasty double action triggers. I was actually going to send Mr. Langdon my Sigs when I found out he was doing work on them, but apparently he was only at Sig for something like 10 minutes. :D

I did keep my P239, however....it's a nice little handgun despite the slide-lock issue.

srfl
04-22-08, 21:22
I've carried SIGs for the past eight years; first was a P228 with a short trigger, then a P229, and finally a P239. The last two guns are in .40. I also own a P6 with a short trigger and action job by Bruce Gray and sigpro SP2340 in 357 SIG.

That said, I'm a big Beretta fan. My favorites are the ones whose DA triggers I can engage easier: a Vertec 92G, 92FC, and 92FC Type M; all with either D-series or 1911 mainsprings.

Despite having small hands, I usually shoot my Berettas better.

Bob
04-23-08, 06:37
I used to love Sigs, until I got into 1911s and got used to a high-thumb hold. Works great with 1911s and Glocks, not so much with Sigs, where I am constantly riding the slide release it seems.

Not to mention the killer deals you can get on 92s these days. Under $500 for the NIB 'Police Specials', with 3 mags. (Though if you want night sights, save yourself some hassle and get the Sig.)

maitresaman
04-23-08, 08:52
Then you'll end up like me with 30 handguns and a huge box full of holsters you've collected looking for the ideal carry gun.

That's probably where I'll end up, but you can't have too many guns!

tinfinger
04-23-08, 10:05
Get one of each and after you sort them out sell or trade some. Sorry. :D

maitresaman
04-23-08, 10:28
Get one of each and after you sort them out sell or trade some. Sorry. :D

Knowing me, I'll get one of each and just keep adding to them. Get's a bit expensive though.