PDA

View Full Version : What's up with the nitride processed barrels?

Metal_Mania
09-05-13, 14:22
Hey guys,

I sold my AR's a couple of months ago (I know, it was a mistake! :( ) and I've been looking at starting another build in the near future.

So, I was browsing around checking out prices on lowers, parts, uppers, etc... I found a couple of new uppers that have a nitride processed or coated barrels. According to their claims, nitride processed barrels last longer than chrome lining and are more accurate.

I never bought chrome lined uppers do to the fact that they say it's nearly impossible to have an even coating and it decreases accuracy, but if these new Nitride coated barrels live up to their promises, I might go this route.

The prices are about right for the style of upper I want too...

Hmac
09-05-13, 14:39
I have no accuracy complaints with my double chrome-lined Noveske barrels, but if I were-re-buying today I'd have no qualms about a Melonited barrel. I do note that some gunsmith either won't drill on nitrided barrels or they charge extra. Something to bear in mind it you're going to want an FSB or gas block pinned...

MarkG
09-05-13, 14:42
You may want use the Search button above. There are a handful of threads on this very subject.

Iraqgunz
09-05-13, 15:16
Sound advice.

You may want use the Search button above. There are a handful of threads on this very subject.