PDA

View Full Version : Wasr 10/63 reinforcement screws

peckerhardpowderdry
09-06-13, 14:18
Hey guys,

Hopefully a quick and easy question for you all. I have searched but cannot find an answer and as simple as it seems its still bugging me. On the laminate stocks that come NIB with the Wasr 10/63, there are reinforcement screws that are screwed in the stock, then the heads are cut off during stock finishing. My personal weapon has three screws in the buttstock and one in the lower handguard. Most, if not all Wasr 10/63s I have seen, have 4 screws in the buttstock and one in the lower handguard. Very few I have seen have 3 or less in the buttstock. I was wondering what the reason for variation would be concerning the number of reinforcement screws. Maybe mine was built on a friday. Hope to hear from you soon. Thank you for your time.

halmbarte
09-06-13, 14:32
I suspect the variations is age related. I'd suspect that the Sov started with reinforcing screws in the obvious highly stressed portions of the stock and added more screws as additional weak points were discovered in service.

It's also possible that the extra screw represents a repaired stock. My Uzi wood stock has a brass screw thru the front as the wood there had started to crack with the grain.

H

peckerhardpowderdry
09-06-13, 21:17
The weapon in question with 3 screws in the buttstock was purchased last month. My buddies rifle, also a Wasr 10/63, purchased at the same time from the same shop has 4 screws in the buttstock :/

halmbarte
09-07-13, 01:22
Different comrade on the assembly line? Vodka ration had just been handed out? Sabotage?

You got me on this one.

H

peckerhardpowderdry
09-08-13, 11:16
Tell me about it lol. It seems as if the fourth screw which is not present on mine is to support the rear sling mount area. The reinforcement screw in question is always located in between the two screws of the sling mount. Hopefully this will not be a weak point on my stock after repeated use.