PDA

View Full Version : Steiner Military 1-5

ccoker
09-06-13, 20:14
You guys seen this yet?
Damned nice optic

http://tacticalgunreview.com/blog/2013/08/steiner-military-1-5-initial-imressions/

SeriousStudent
09-06-13, 20:54
Do they have any idea on a ballpark price?

It does sound very nice.

ccoker
09-06-13, 21:26
around 2500

I have compared it directly against my Meopta Kdot (new version) and my S&B 1.5-6x42 just for glass comparisons from low to no light.

In decent light the Steiner was right there with the S&B, if I can't distinguish a difference going back and forth in 5 minutes there isn't enough difference to worry about.

The S&B was the winner as it got dark but it wasn't a BIG difference.
I am 48 with good eyesight but I also had my 16 year old son who spends a lot of time shooting and hunting with me.
I like getting his take as he should theoretically be able to take advantage of a larger exit pupil on a scope.

I really like how dim the dot got on the Steiner, dimmer and smaller than my S&B Flashdot #9. It was also brighter in the bright sun and on par with the Meopta.

A very nice optic indeed

One crappy think to note however..
There was no info on what load they used for the reticle.
My assumption is a 62g load

There is no reticle subtension data listed anywhere I can find and I am having a hard time getting it from Burris.
I suspect they used the same as the Ballistic reticles
http://www.burrisoptics.com/ball556.html

I have yet to have a chance to go verify at the range.

ccoker
10-15-13, 14:46
The more time I spend with this optic the more I like it..

MadAngler1
02-01-14, 11:00
Does anyone else have an opinion on or experience with this scope? My SCAR-17 still awaits something on top of it. I am debating between waiting for the VCOG vs. Kahles 1-6x vs. S&B Short Dot.

What I really want is something with a huge eyebox to make it easy for me to get behind the scope, much like the Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x I used to own. I need something that will work well under low light conditions as well, and that can handle the SCAR 17's recoil.

SomeOtherGuy
02-01-14, 12:08
Does anyone else have an opinion on or experience with this scope? My SCAR-17 still awaits something on top of it. I am debating between waiting for the VCOG vs. Kahles 1-6x vs. S&B Short Dot.

What I really want is something with a huge eyebox to make it easy for me to get behind the scope, much like the Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x I used to own. I need something that will work well under low light conditions as well, and that can handle the SCAR 17's recoil.

Have you considered the Vortex Razor HD 1-6x24mm? It has the eyebox, field of view, ruggedness, and illumination, and if your SCAR breaks it anyway, the best warranty around. They are available now in BDC, mil and moa flavors (the BDC has been out almost a year, the mil and moa just came out).

MadAngler1
02-01-14, 19:50
Have you considered the Vortex Razor HD 1-6x24mm? It has the eyebox, field of view, ruggedness, and illumination, and if your SCAR breaks it anyway, the best warranty around. They are available now in BDC, mil and moa flavors (the BDC has been out almost a year, the mil and moa just came out).

I have actually. I'm just not sure if it would handle the SCAR's recoil impulse as well as the others, contrary to their claims. Most people I've seen running it are doing so on 5.56 NATO ARs. It has a nice eyebox for sure.

I really wish Nightforce would make the 1-4x compact with a daylight bright reticule. It would be a no-brainer, because they are the only brand I really trust. I know F2S posted his thing about thick black reticules being effective, but a red dot helps in low light shooting. It's the reason I sold my Accupoint, after taking a Vickers class that had night shooting with a carbine. I have a feeling I'm just going to buy a Short Dot and stick with it.

ccoker
02-15-14, 23:47
I hage been running this scope for some time and am very impressed with it

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

FourT6and2
11-03-14, 12:59
This vs the Kahles 1-5 (or 1-6 for that matter)?