PDA

View Full Version : QD RDS mount necessary on a fighting rifle?

jerrysimons
09-06-13, 21:54
On a rifle used for life support, not just for HD but for duty use, how important do you consider a QD mount for your RDS?
Taking it as a given that your fighting rifle has BUIS, QD seems to be the only way to remain effective shoud the RDS obscure your BUIS picture, perhaps by lens fracture or fog...

Over thinking it?
Thoughts?

gman556
09-06-13, 21:57
On a rifle used for life support, not just for HD but for duty use, how important do you consider a QD mount for your RDS?
Taking it as a given that your fighting rifle has BUIS, QD seems to be the only way to remain effective shoud the RDS obscure your BUIS picture, perhaps by lens fracture or fog...

Over thinking it?
Thoughts?

Not in my opinion.
If your optic's glass was shattered you would want the quickest way to get it off, to get access to your irons. Especially if you didn't have a sidearm.

Inkslinger
09-06-13, 22:03
I think you answered your own question. Maybe not necessary, but probably preferred, at least from my prospective.

Over thinking it?
Thoughts?

Zane1844
09-06-13, 22:05
I'd say so, based on the reading I have done on here by those who have "been in harms way."

On my "HD" rifle my T1 is on a non-QD mount, however. I will be getting one soon though.

VIP3R 237
09-06-13, 22:15
Absolutely yes. I have had optics fog before that made it impossible to use iron sights with.

_Stormin_
09-06-13, 22:20
I've never had an optic fog or fail on me in a manner that would make my iron sights useless. That said, I don't plan for things to go well. I plan for the worst and hope for the best… :)

Tooth & Nail
09-06-13, 22:26
Damage, or fogging that obscures the sight picture can occur. Given this fact I believe that a means of quickly removing an RDS is essential on a firearm lives may depend on.

Tzook
09-06-13, 23:33
I would definitely say yes. You need to be able to get an optic off in a hurry if it goes down in a manner where you can't see through it.

gobo57
09-07-13, 00:03
Being budget minded, would the qd vs. cost off same high quality off set buis and ammo/training to learn the reconfiguration of weapon make it more practical?

MountainRaven
09-07-13, 00:07
If you have off-set irons, I don't think it's necessary. But the ability to quickly remove the RDS and replace it with a magnified optic (say, for hunting) with no or very little shift in zero, has always been a benefit to me, in my experience.

If you do not have off-set irons, I would not run it without a QD mount.

NYH1
09-07-13, 01:32
I use the mount that came with my Aimpoint PRO. It's not a QD mount, but it's still pretty quick to remove. My iron sights are fixed in the lower 1/3 of my AP PRO. I could remove it pretty quick if I had to...I think...I hope.

NYH1.

jet66
09-07-13, 05:13
But the ability to quickly remove the RDS and replace it with a magnified optic (say, for hunting) with no or very little shift in zero, has always been a benefit to me, in my experience.

That is one reason (little/zero shift) is why I prefer a QD mount. If I need to remove it and put it back on for some reason, I still retain a zero that's at least 'close enough.' The second reason is I like as many things to be 'tool-less' as is reasonably possible.

OneAsterisks
09-07-13, 06:01
QD hands down, weather being lazy or life dependant!

Airhasz
09-07-13, 09:05
I use the mount that came with my Aimpoint PRO. It's not a QD mount, but it's still pretty quick to remove. My iron sights are fixed in the lower 1/3 of my AP PRO. I could remove it pretty quick if I had to...I think...I hope.

NYH1.

The stock pro mount is a QD as far as I am concerned. Quick twist of the knob and off it comes.

gman556
09-07-13, 10:08
That is one reason (little/zero shift) is why I prefer a QD mount. If I need to remove it and put it back on for some reason, I still retain a zero that's at least 'close enough.' The second reason is I like as many things to be 'tool-less' as is reasonably possible.

Another good point.

This is also why I prefer QD mounts. I reload, and switch to a 3-9 optic for working up loads, and put the other optic back on after.

NYH1
09-07-13, 17:25
The stock pro mount is a QD as far as I am concerned. Quick twist of the knob and off it comes.
Yeah, it hold zero very well too. I've taken it off and put it back on a bunch of times. The PRO with the mount is a great value. I know some other optic's mount right to the rail. Some EOTech models come to mind. I just thought the PRO was the way to go for me. So far so good. I have to get a QD mount for a scope. Not sure which mount I'm going to go with for that.

NYH1.

sapper36
09-07-13, 21:42
If you watch the first torture test of a Daniel Defense rifle that LAV did the T-1 was on a DD mount that needed a screwdriver. The Aimpoint help up amazingly, however when it did go down there was no way to use the back up irons without having a tool to take the Aimpoint off.

Here is the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUgzlF_4XUs

Tzook
09-07-13, 23:52

NYH1.

I think that counts as QD. As long as you can get it off pretty quick, without a tool it counts

masakari
09-08-13, 10:31
For me, its a necessity. In the off chance that the glass gets shattered or something similar, I want to be able to remove it and revert to irons. Most important though is to be able to cowitness. If you lose battery power or the dot in brightness, a simple shift down to your irons is all thats needed, and the RDS can stay on. Thats why I also like lower 1/3 cowitness and fixed irons with a RDS.

jerrysimons
09-08-13, 10:43
If you watch the first torture test of a Daniel Defense rifle that LAV did the T-1 was on a DD mount that needed a screwdriver. The Aimpoint help up amazingly, however when it did go down there was no way to use the back up irons without having a tool to take the Aimpoint off.

Here is the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUgzlF_4XUs

! @07:00-

I have actually never seen that video before. That is exactly what I was imagining in terms of optic failure (can it be called failure in that scenario?). LAV had to look through the hole to see the dot, which was still on, astonishingly! Gives me confidence in my Aimpoint.

If an Aimpoint fogs up is it because the seals are defective, or does it just happen to tube optics in certain conditions?

MountainRaven
09-08-13, 10:47
If an Aimpoint fogs up is it because the seals are defective, or does it just happen to tube optics in certain conditions?

It can happen to anything with glass on it in certain conditions.

Like going from a warm house or patrol car into freezing conditions and vice versa.

jerrysimons
09-08-13, 10:59
For me, its a necessity. In the off chance that the glass gets shattered or something similar, I want to be able to remove it and revert to irons. Most important though is to be able to cowitness. If you lose battery power or the dot in brightness, a simple shift down to your irons is all thats needed, and the RDS can stay on. Thats why I also like lower 1/3 cowitness and fixed irons with a RDS.

This setup seems to be the most reliably redundant setup without cluttering the optic too badly.

So far no one has argued against the necessity (or good idea of) of QD. The video clearly shows a T1 can handle a drop (and a truck), apart from the optic taking a round, what else would cause the lens to fracture that you could survive? Fog is unlikely indoors. I suppose this is why I initially distinguished between HD use and duty use...