PDA

View Full Version : 8 inch or 10 inch ar500 plate?

higgens
09-07-13, 19:03
I am buying my first ar500 target and am trying to decide between an 8" diameter plate or a 10" diameter plate. What size target would provide a better balance between speed and accuracy?

Some plans for this plate are:
Vtac barricade 9-hole drill @ 100 yards
Jeff Gonzales modified navy qual @ 100 yards
Slow fire @ 200 and 300 yards
Vtac 9-hole drill with the pistol @ 25 yards
Pistol marksmanship @ 25+ yards.

Frailer
09-07-13, 23:23
I am buying my first ar500 target and am trying to decide between an 8" diameter plate or a 10" diameter plate. What size target would provide a better balance between speed and accuracy?

Some plans for this plate are:
Vtac barricade 9-hole drill @ 100 yards
Jeff Gonzales modified navy qual @ 100 yards
Slow fire @ 200 and 300 yards
Vtac 9-hole drill with the pistol @ 25 yards
Pistol marksmanship @ 25+ yards.

My backyard "range" is limited to 25 meters, and after starting with 6" plates I've moved to 8-inchers. I found the larger plates give me better feedback--particularly when I work on speed. An edge hit on a larger plate gives me information that a clean miss on a smaller one doesn't.

Based on your requirements I'd go for 10 inch plates.

And if by the use of the phrase "first target" you mean that you intend to buy only one, I'd suggest you consider buying at least three. More is better. ;)

CougarBlue
09-08-13, 15:59
This is good advise. With the distances you are discussing the 10" will serve you well.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Failure2Stop
09-08-13, 17:21
I vote for 8" plates.

It is basically the standard size for acceptable hits on a threat.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

ShootinRN
09-08-13, 19:30
I have around around 7 pieces of steel on my range from 4-14" rounds, 25 & 100% IPSC torsos and a 4 ring D silhouette(Appleseed style). It may be easier to hit the larger target, but I found I don't do myself any favors. I would go with the 8" and start slower and bring your speed as skill increases. I like to think of it as no different than a paper target except the instant feedback and convenience of use.

And I would encourage you to not give up on the paper either, especially with longer range work as you learn to call your shots better without the audible feedback. After some hits the paint is no longer useful in marking shots and if you can't go down range to repaint it easily you are really just as accurate as the size you're shooting at. I tend to practice more with the steel than paper due to convenience but really learn more when I get over being lazy and set up my paper/cardboard targets....YMMV

Good luck and checkout JC steel they have a great system for hanging steel that is portable and cheap and they also sell targets as well. All products are made by and support troubled youth at the ranch their facilities are located at.

Oh, and that "ring" is addictive!!!!

SurplusShooter
09-08-13, 22:31
Also checkout the Widener's reloading AR-500 steel plates. They sell a variety pack of different sizes, very useful. I've been using them and the plates hold-up great.

Failure2Stop
09-09-13, 10:01
Also checkout the Widener's reloading AR-500 steel plates. They sell a variety pack of different sizes, very useful. I've been using them and the plates hold-up great.

Agreed.
These:
http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=100000205&dir=1020|1023
are pretty good.

Be prepared to replace bolts frequently (common with all steel targets).

_Stormin_
09-09-13, 10:12
I'll second the above targets. We were out shooting those plates a few weeks back and after 300+ rounds per plate we had sheared the mounting bolts a couple of times, but the plates were still solid. Fresh coat with the rattle can every twenty minutes of course. Wideners also has the sweet free shipping offer, and I can assure you, the plates are not light...

Keith E.
09-09-13, 11:43

Higgens,

I'd suggest getting the 10". If you're concerned about getting sloppy due to the larger target area, paint the outer edge a color that blends with the background. This will still show a hit so you know where you placed the wayward round and let you know that maybe you need to be a little more careful with the next one. Later if you decide you want to stretch the distance a little more you've got the extra steel already on hand. Good luck and enjoy.

Keith

Failure2Stop
09-09-13, 11:54
Higgens,

I'd suggest getting the 10". If you're concerned about getting sloppy due to the larger target area, paint the outer edge a color that blends with the background. This will still show a hit so you know where you placed the wayward round and let you know that maybe you need to be a little more careful with the next one. Later if you decide you want to stretch the distance a little more you've got the extra steel already on hand. Good luck and enjoy.

Keith

Disagree.
Looking for hits on steel reduces the effectiveness of using steel.
The immediate audible/visual reward (target swings or falls/ring of impact) is one benefit of steel over cardboard and paper. If you are looking for hits on the steel you are "focus sprinting" (at least with regard to iron sights at 25 yards or greater), which is a bad thing.
Further, at longer range, it is pretty difficult to rapidly identify a hit in the "black".
The biggest reason that targets are painted white is to make them apparent. Distant second is for an observer to identify strike, and this is usually done by spotting the cloud/frag line as the bullet hits.
The other aspect is that in order to maintain the ability to identify impact location on the steel the steel is going to need to be frequently repainted; something that would be just as easy (if not easier) with paper/cardboard.

When it comes to steel, I recommend buying the size that is your acceptable strike area.

Singlestack Wonder
09-09-13, 12:10
As stated above, go with 8" plates. The 10" plate offers nothing but a larger target and an excuse, "I still hit the plate".

Keith E.
09-13-13, 14:25
Surely we can give Mr. Higgens the benefit of the doubt in that he'll realize he can move the steel out further if hits get "too easy" for him. :)

Keith