PDA

View Full Version : Rained Out at the Range, Mistwolf Charges Moose

hjmpanzr
09-07-13, 23:56
When we got to the range, a heavy rainstorm hit. We pushed through for a while, but the weather eventually won out. On the way back down the mountain, we saw two moose (we had seen one on the way in). So Mistwolf (fellow M4carbiner, budding photographer and aspiring antler fodder:D) armed only with his camera, tactically charged the moose.

The targets:

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a578/hjmpanzr/023_zps0a9775ac.jpg (http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/hjmpanzr/media/023_zps0a9775ac.jpg.html)

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a578/hjmpanzr/024_zps4b555227.jpg (http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/hjmpanzr/media/024_zps4b555227.jpg.html)

Mistwolf stalks the prey:

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a578/hjmpanzr/028_zpseec7762d.jpg (http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/hjmpanzr/media/028_zpseec7762d.jpg.html)

He triumphs as Moose #2 flees:

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a578/hjmpanzr/029_zps0289de04.jpg (http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/hjmpanzr/media/029_zps0289de04.jpg.html)

Great area; Beautiful animals (Mistwolf excluded)! Maybe he can post a couple of photos of his two adversaries.

jpmuscle
09-08-13, 00:20
Nice. Moose is yummy

where are his pics?

SeriousStudent
09-08-13, 00:43
"Tune in next week as Mrs Mistwolf spends the insurance money!" :D

Just kidding. I did not know they had moose in Utah. My son lives there, and loves the state.

Are moose pretty tasty? I love me some elk, and wonder if moose would be similar.

hjmpanzr
09-08-13, 01:00
Moose is very tasty!

I just moved to UT and we've seen moose each time we've gone shooting at this particular location. Unfortunately, I'm sure if I got a tag for moose they would all suddenly disappear.

SeriousStudent
09-08-13, 01:09
Is it hard to get a moose tag?

Judging from how close Mistwolf is getting to them, all you need is a pointed stick.

My son is not into hunting, but he's definitely into eating. And a full grown moose might even hold him over until dinner. The boy has an appetite.

MistWolf
09-08-13, 01:22
Unfortunately, the shutter speed on my camera was set too slow for me to get good, sharp photos but I did my best to salvage what I had. Takes a real expert to blow a photo op like this!
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Wildlife/DSC_0028_zpsab2e6044.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Wildlife/DSC_0049_zps9f831322.jpg
All that stalking I did with my fancy Nikon and hjmpanzr got better photos without leaving the car, using his pocket camera.

For the record, I wasn't disarmed. I had my faithful PPQ for the mighty 9mm with me

Tzed250
09-08-13, 03:07
http://americanthings.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/rocky-by-images-onset-freedomdotcom.jpg

J-Dub
09-08-13, 06:29
Shiras I assume? Wasatch range?

Mac5.56
09-08-13, 08:18
So cool! Great shots.

Wasn't there a wildlife photos thread going on in this forum for a while?

Mac5.56
09-08-13, 08:22
Is it hard to get a moose tag?

Judging from how close Mistwolf is getting to them, all you need is a pointed stick.

My son is not into hunting, but he's definitely into eating. And a full grown moose might even hold him over until dinner. The boy has an appetite.

I think it depends on the state, I know it is difficult in Wyoming and a friend of mine (who is a game warden) has been putting in every year since he got back from Iraq in 07. But he might be going for a specific place that is harder to draw in.

I know it is really difficult to draw in Maine, I was just talking to a hunter at a his warehouse because he had a Moose head on the wall and he's been putting in in Maine for 15 years, and he finally just paid for a hunt in Newfoundland because he was sick of waiting for a tag.

I can't speak for Utah but I bet it is just as difficult especially for an out of stater.

hjmpanzr
09-08-13, 09:03
Shiras I assume? Wasatch range?

Wasatch range.

sinister
09-08-13, 10:01
I believe bagging a moose in Utah is a once-in-a-lifetime tag.

MountainRaven
09-08-13, 10:32
I think it depends on the state, I know it is difficult in Wyoming and a friend of mine (who is a game warden) has been putting in every year since he got back from Iraq in 07.

Extremely difficult in Montana.

In Montana, we have a points system, too. Every year you put in for a tag and don't get it, you accrue a certain number of points, and those points basically add up to additional names in the hat the next time they go to draw names for the year's moose tags. And when you do get drawn you cannot put in for the tag for two-three, maybe five years.

On top of that, it's extremely difficult to fill the tag. Just finding the moose is rather hard and then you've got the terrain in which the moose are hiding, &c.

One of my roommates has put in for moose tags every year he has lived in Montana, so close to thirty years, maybe a little more. He has yet to draw a moose tag. This year he did manage to draw a sheep tag, though....

That being said, the roommate in question (in his late-20s) had put in for one for maybe four years and got one. He shot the only moose he saw. He probably won't draw another moose tag, here, until he's in his 50s or 60s, if he even draws another one at all.

09-08-13, 12:34

Correct. From the 2013 Big Game App. Guidebook: Bull moose, bison, Rocky Mtn. bighorn sheep, desert bighorn sheep and mtn. goat permits are once-in-a-lifetime permits.

Mac5.56
09-08-13, 12:52
Correct. From the 2013 Big Game App. Guidebook: Bull moose, bison, Rocky Mtn. bighorn sheep, desert bighorn sheep and mtn. goat permits are once-in-a-lifetime permits.

No pressure there... Damn that would be stressful and amazing to draw any of those (maybe not bison but the others).

SeriousStudent
09-08-13, 13:07
Very interesting. I'd feel guilty applying for an out of state permit, if they even allowed them. I'd be taking an animal that a Utah resident should have a shot at first.

Pretty impressive pictures. I saw a moose just once in Alaska, and he was moving over a ridge pretty far away. It would be nice to have a chance for a closer look, like you gentlemen had.

You folks can feel free to come down here to Texas and shoot all the big pigs and tiny little deer you want, though. :D

09-08-13, 15:34
You folks can feel free to come down here to Texas and shoot all the big pigs and tiny little deer you want, though. :D

Have seen some mule bucks around that have to be close to 300lbs., if not a little more than. Great racks.

SeriousStudent
09-08-13, 17:33
Yes, the mulies out near Sonora and Ozona are pretty good sized. But these tiny little whitetails in east Texas about about the size of a decent GSD. :(

Ryno12
09-08-13, 17:47
Yes, the mulies out near Sonora and Ozona are pretty good sized. But these tiny little whitetails in east Texas about about the size of a decent GSD. :(

My dad's retired & splits his time between a home in WI & home in D/FW area. He's got some big ranch that he hunts on down there. I get a kick out of the pictures he sends us of the deer he harvests. When I ask why he doesn't hunt up by us, his excuse is that it's too cold. I think it's because it's easier for him to dress/drag a TX deer. :D

Sent via Tapatalk

Mac5.56
09-08-13, 20:06

Ha, we have loads of friggen tiny deer up for grabs here in NY too if anyone wants to come up and sit in a tree stand... :rolleyes:

If you're serious about hunting a Moose SeriousStudent if I see the guy that did the trip to Newfoundland I can ask him what outfitter he used. The guy wasn't rich, just a normal working guy, so if you're interested it could happen.

We saw a bull moose in Utah on the south side of Flaming Gorge this last trip out there in August, plus a calf and dead mamma in Wyoming.

Hey MistWolf: When I was up in norther Wyoming last month a good friend of mine (and great hunter) said that the moose are suffering from a wasting disease and die offs? Have you heard anything about this? NY has a wasting disease that is keeping the moose from repopulating the state, when I heard that it broke my heart.

You heard anything?

Gutshot John
09-08-13, 22:01
Moose are tasty, but that was a bit foolhardy as bulls are very territorial and aggressive.

I got treed by one a few years while bowhunting deer just south of canadian border.

Cincinnatus
09-08-13, 22:12
Moose are tasty, but that was a bit foolhardy as bulls are very territorial and aggressive.

I got treed by one a few years while bowhunting deer just south of canadian border.

A mother with calves is even worse.

Mac5.56
09-08-13, 22:27

A mother moose with calves is the most dangerous animal to come across on our continent. And that's from the mouth of a grizzly biologist I took a training session on animal identification and behavior from in 1999 while working as a guide in Jackson Hole.

AKDoug
09-08-13, 22:38
If I had to choose between a mother moose with a calf and a grizzly sow with cubs, I'm taking the moose every time.

hjmpanzr
09-08-13, 22:48

The entrance to this property is about 20 minutes from you in park city.

...I did not know they had moose in Utah. My son lives there, and loves the state.

Yea. There here but youve got to get pretty high up to see them. I've seen 4 bull moose in this one area on the property and it probably has something to do with it being situated between 3 ponds.

I just learned that the recently deceased owner of the property of about 60 yrs didn't like people hunting moose there. However, deer, elk and mountain lions (and especially coyotes and porcupines) were a go. So maybe it's become some sort of informal moose reserve.

Either way, my 6 yr old son is the good luck charm. He loves it, and thinks every time you drive into the mountains you see moose, mule deer, rabbits, etc. He also tried to follow Mistwolf yesterday but we cut that off quickly.

A mother moose with calves is the most dangerous animal to come across on our continent. And that's from the mouth of a grizzly biologist I took a training session on animal identification and behavior from in 1999 while working as a guide in Jackson Hole.

We wouldn't have stopped in that situation. During the first trip we made to the property to shoot back in August we saw a cow lower down in the property. She ran across the road about 20 ft in front of our vehicle. No calves.

SeriousStudent
09-08-13, 23:13
Man, that is awesome that your little guy gets to see stuff like that. I am sure he really enjoys it. :)

sinister
09-09-13, 09:45
Originally Posted by sinister
The entrance to this property is about 20 minutes from you in park city.

We have moose less than a mile from the house.

I have been blown up, shot at, been in aircraft crashes, and have 8 or 9 reserve parachute rides. I have never felt so close to death as rounding a corner to find myself 25 feet away from a moose cow and not knowing if I was between her and calves.

Being that close to a very, very large moose is a significant emotional event.

I was armed with a 5 weight fly rod and a walking stick in complete Condition White. I hiked and fished solo for years and never worried about cats, coyotes, wolves, or bears.

Now I carry 300-grain 45 Colt moose repellant in a chest holster.

Did I mention moose are huge?

http://www.realguns.com/images/45cltredhwk.jpg

09-09-13, 11:53
I agree. Rounding a corner to come face to face with a moose would be an almost shit the pants event. I hike out regularly by myself and this worries me. Running across a mtn. lion also worries me. During non-winter seasons I really worry about diamondbacks. I've come across bear scat I know wasn't more than 20-30min. old and that was worrisome, but not as much as coming across a moose.

MistWolf
09-09-13, 12:08
Not saying I don't respect wildlife- I do. Especially those that outweigh me and are equipped with tooth/claw/horn/hoof. But I'm used to having them around.

This is Brother Elk who came every day to graze on our front lawn when we lived in Arizona
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Ah%20Souli%20Tribe/BrotherElk.jpg

I'll have to dig around to see where the photos I took of the buffalo during a recent visit to Antelope Island

Gutshot John
09-09-13, 15:25

That's the thing about moose...during mating (hunting) season where there is a bull, there is frequently a harem (sometimes with calves) not far away.

I needed a change of shorts. ;)

Ain't no way I'm approaching a moose (bull or otherwise) armed only with a camera.

I'm actually going to the same area to bowhunt deer in a few weeks, I'll see get some good pictures of some moose...hopefully from a bit farther away this time.