PDA

View Full Version : Good BOB shovel

sewvacman
09-08-13, 10:27
I've been looking for a good solid portable shovel for my BOB and truck toolbox. The ones I've seen that are collapsible seem to be cheap crap that I would not to have to depend on. I currently have nothing in my BOB for digging and have a short handled full size shovel in my truck toolbox for just in case. I've been looking lately at mil-surp and this: http://www.coldsteelknivesdirect.com/special-forces-shovel
which is not collapsible but compact enough for the truck at least. I am looking for something lightweight and compact for my BOB that will not fall apart if I hit a rock while digging a fire pit. (which will probably happen since I live in PA) The truck shovels main purpose would be in case I get stuck in snow/mud.

Any thoughts? Experienced responses appreciated

Bolt_Overide
09-08-13, 20:18
Etool, good shovel, decent weapon in a pinch.

Clint
09-08-13, 20:44
I have that cold steel shovel, got it off Amazon.

Haven't used it yet, but it seems very solid and well made.

The edges cleaned up nicely with a file, the steel seemed appropriately hard.

Some reviews say that the handle will eventually break when used as a throwing axe, so you should probably limit its use to non-ballistic endeavors.

sewvacman
09-08-13, 21:32
Clint: I'm pretty much sold on the cold steel offering for my vehicle, I don't intent on throwing it but I found it amusing that Cold Steels' video shows it doing everything but digging a hole. Thanks for the response.

B_O: From the reviews I've seen/read the Gerber E-tool doesn't seem to lock up very solidly and wobbles at the hinge. Is that the case in your experience?

tostado22
09-10-13, 14:06
If you're interested in the standard E-tool I would just look at a mil-surp store and hand pick one that is like new and locks up. I can't comment on the Gerber E-tool

R0N
09-10-13, 17:47
I was in the one of the first units to get the Gerber shovel issued in place of the older E-tool. About half of my Marines broker their shovels where the handle mated with the shaft during the march up to Baghdad trying to dig either survivability trenches or cat holes.

On the hand my glock shovel survived the same abuse with a slight bend in the shovel blade and rusting real bad.

TheJRK
09-11-13, 15:57
http://silodrome.com/crovel-extreme-ii-survival-shovel/

Bolt_Overide
09-11-13, 18:51
Clint: I'm pretty much sold on the cold steel offering for my vehicle, I don't intent on throwing it but I found it amusing that Cold Steels' video shows it doing everything but digging a hole. Thanks for the response.

B_O: From the reviews I've seen/read the Gerber E-tool doesn't seem to lock up very solidly and wobbles at the hinge. Is that the case in your experience?

I meant the standard issue US etool.

JasonB1
09-11-13, 18:53
Have you checked Wal Mart of other lawn/garden centers for fixed shovels? Most will have something with about the same blade size as the Cold Steel offering and are formed in such a way as to probably be a bit better about digging and for a lower price.

I have an Euro copy M-1943 shovel(wooden handle/folding blade,) issued aluminum tri-fold, and a Glock shovel. Out of the 3, the 1943 digs the best and is the heaviest, the tri-fold is mid range on weight and digging, and the Glock is the worst at digging(but not impossible) and is by far the lightest. The Glock and real mil-surp folders are generally not junk.

Dead Man
09-11-13, 18:57
I would first ask yourself what you need the shovel for. It's a classic survival tool, yes, but why? And does not having one actually create a real void in your emergency or survival system? Shovels are often the single heaviest item guys have in their bug-out kits... they're fricken heavy, and I suspect probably literally completely useless for what most guys, if they ever actually did need to use their emergency packs/kits, would encounter. Infantry have always carried shovels, because infantry do need to dig- dig in, dig things out, dig holes for all sorts of things. But what scenario would you expect to need to dig a hole badly enough to justify having a hunk of steel in your bug-out pack?

Just my thoughts

sewvacman
09-12-13, 18:46
B_O: The design of the Standard issue eTool is what I want, without the weight. I like that it folds and I like how stout it is and the pick would really come in handy. I just want it in a lighter material that is strong enough to do the job.

DM: Well the last two times I went camping in the winter the wind picked up and we had fire/cooking issues. I stayed warm because I prepared well for sleeping at night but ate cold beans and potato chips for dinner. I had been prescribing to the book of "have a good thick pry bar of a knife to dig with" philosophy and learned what a real PIA a Montana hole is to dig with anything other than a shovel. Especially when the ground is frozen and rocky.

I could probably get away with a really good gardening trowel for the BOB but it would have to be extremely well made with a tad longer handle than normal.
I am having second thought on the cold steel for the truck now, I travel to DC too often and with those crazy ass rules they have..........so I'm thinking of just keeping what I have there.

dhrith
09-13-13, 17:08
For a one to three day BoB I typically go with a metal gardening trowel. Anything more involved (ruck) I use/carry an e-tool. If I had to go somewhere in between I'd lean towards the e-tool.

JasonB1
09-14-13, 11:25
B_O: The design of the Standard issue eTool is what I want, without the weight. I like that it folds and I like how stout it is and the pick would really come in handy. I just want it in a lighter material that is strong enough to do the job.

The closest thing to your list of wants above is the Glock. Sans the pick of course, but I have only seen that feature on M1951 type tools.

dash1
09-14-13, 12:59
I've seen the military entrenching tool used for all manner of purposes, such as a field expedient toilet seat, Esbit stove, stake, axe, grappling hook (not a very good one though), etc.

There are many uses for a shovel that I can think of besides digging a fighting position, such as a cat hole (no one likes to encounter a surface laid mine), fire pit, drainage trench, aiding a stuck vehicle, etc.

Canonninja
09-17-13, 19:01
a bit bigger than what's been said here, but I carry a MaxAx kit in my truck and one on my mystery ranch pack (on the side straps). I got em for an insane deal each, both are military green kits and I absolutely love em for impromptu camping trips

Dead Man
09-17-13, 20:16
I've seen the military entrenching tool used for all manner of purposes, such as a field expedient toilet seat, Esbit stove, stake, axe, grappling hook (not a very good one though), etc.

There are many uses for a shovel that I can think of besides digging a fighting position, such as a cat hole (no one likes to encounter a surface laid mine), fire pit, drainage trench, aiding a stuck vehicle, etc.

Lots of uses does not equal need, however.

My personal philosophy to putting things in packs that will be propelled by my own legs is to carry as little as necessary, and absolutely nothing unnecessary. In a "bug out" situation I envision, there's not only no need for comfort or convenience, there's not even any time for it even if you could utilize it. You're getting from point A to point B and trying to do it in the least amount of time with the least caloric/sweat expenditure as possible.

dhrith
09-17-13, 20:23
This is one of the best quantifications of the situation that I've seen.
I think a lot of people get hung up on trying to make another persons vision of the objective, equal their own. They don't, so naturally you get different opinions and results.

My personal philosophy to putting things in packs that will be propelled by my own legs is to carry as little as necessary, and absolutely nothing unnecessary. In a "bug out" situation I envision, there's not only no need for comfort or convenience, there's not even any time for it even if you could utilize it. You're getting from point A to point B and trying to do it in the least amount of time with the least caloric/sweat expenditure as possible.

dash1
09-17-13, 21:24

The OP defined his need for a shovel. His question is not about whether he should carry a shovel, but which kind.

sewvacman
09-18-13, 15:23
a bit bigger than what's been said here, but I carry a MaxAx kit in my truck and one on my mystery ranch pack (on the side straps). I got em for an insane deal each, both are military green kits and I absolutely love em for impromptu camping trips

That is absolutely bada**. This would be way more than I would ever want/need camping but I may have to go with it in my truck. Have you used it enough to get it good and dirty and if so, how hard is it to put together/take apart once it's used? How stable is everything, any wobble?

Again, my needs are for 2 shovels, one for the truck toolbox for digging myself/others out, boyscout campouts etc.. Another for basically Montana holes when the wind picks up while camping. Lightweight and durability is key on the second one. A pick would be nice for frozen ground but not a requirement. Leaning toward a heavy duty garden trowel for that one.

EzGoingKev
09-18-13, 15:53
Call me old school but I always liked the military issued folders with the wooden handle.

Clint
09-25-13, 23:11
Just a quick update on the cold steel shovel:

I did a little tear down of a swing set and needed to dig out around the posts and base structure.

The shovel worked great and the sharp edge sliced right through the dirt.

This was pretty easy soil, no rocks and clay, so it wasn't any kind of torture test, but the shovel worked as expected.

blade_68
10-04-13, 02:50
I got a "Max Axe" in my Jeep and cheap "D handle shovel. The Cold Steel shovel seems to work better than my old e-tool at digging and cutting roots, don't flex or loosen up but not as compact to carry. It's about the same weight. A hand trowel works better for digging a "cat hole" though.

sgtrock82
10-14-13, 19:48
Call me old school but I always liked the military issued folders with the wooden handle.

Im with you, Ive always had them and probably always will.

northern1
11-25-13, 10:51
Glock. The saw that stores in the handle is handy and really tears things up, especially roots if you live where thats an issue. Their fixed blade knives are the best value out there imo as well. Like everything they make....simple, reliable, no frills and affordable.

bigrobbierob
11-28-13, 20:29
Guy knows his stuff. Great channel too:

http://youtu.be/jq8MtSbSq8w

http://youtu.be/knexRajLn90

ra2bach
12-12-13, 14:25
Guy knows his stuff. Great channel too:

http://youtu.be/jq8MtSbSq8w

http://youtu.be/knexRajLn90

based on these videos I purchased one with the sheath from tacticalwholesalers.com for $27.57 shipped. great deal...

I wasn't aware it was going to be as heavy as it is but I guess that's a good thing, right?..