PDA

View Full Version : Smith and Wesson MP 45 ... input ?

N.Y.45 ACP
04-23-08, 09:14
Hello,

Lately I've been thinking of buying a S&W MP 45.

Those of you that have this gun, have you been happy with it and would you buy it again if you had to do it over ?

What barrel length does everyone prefer...4 or 4 1/2 in ?

Any major reliability issues that have surfaced?

Your input will be appreciated.

Thanks

Ed

Lumpy196
04-23-08, 09:39
I've owned one for a couple months now. It's one of my favorite .45ACP pistols. It has been totally reliable through almost 500 rounds. The ergonomics are excellent as is the accuracy. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Jay Cunningham
04-23-08, 09:47
I am pleased with my M&P45 and ran it through the Vickers/M4C private class in South Hill. I only have minor gripes that are similar to the gripes people have with all poly pistols, i.e. don't care for the factory sights and wish the grip surfaces were more aggressively textured - those can be easily remidied. Just wish CT made their laser in a small backstrap!

DM-SC
04-23-08, 10:26
I've owned one for a couple months now. It's one of my favorite .45ACP pistols. It has been totally reliable through almost 500 rounds. The ergonomics are excellent as is the accuracy. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

+1! :cool:

My next one will either be one of the new 45 Compacts (when they are available) or another full-size with a FDE frame.

Oscar 319
04-23-08, 10:35

Yeah, what Lumpy said. I have one of the MPUxxxx serial numbers and have had 0 malfuctions after 600 rounds.

RogerinTPA
04-23-08, 14:14
I own one since Feb. It's a good shooter. I fk'd up dry firing without snap caps and broke the striker assembly in an attempt to smooth out the trigger. I sent it back to S&W and they repaired the problem and got it back in 9 days. The trigger feels like they took a half pound or a pound off the trigger to me and alot smoother than it was. Excellent customer service and it shoots like a dream now. Got the snap caps for all handgun calibers I own and I would buy this weapon again.

canucksvt
04-25-08, 11:32
I own a M&P45 in FDE with the manual safety. I purchased this pistol at the end of 2007 from Grant. I have roughly 1200 (1100 ball 230gr, 100 Speer Gold Dot 230gr) rounds through it so far with zero FTF or FTE. After 300 rounds or so the trigger smoothed up nicely, although I am still considering sending this pistol out to Bowie Tactical Concepts for a trigger job.

I use the medium sized back strap, and with this installed it is one of the most ergonomic pistols I have ever had the opportunity to hold. I have also used a Surefire X300 light with no reliability issues so far.

I have been extremely happy with this pistol. It is extremely soft shooting, and accurate. I have not had a chance to attend a training course yet with this pistol, but I am looking forward to doing so when I can get the funds together to do so.

My only regret is that I did not pay more at the time to get the same pistol with the factory night sights. I am probably going to go with a set of Trijicons in the near future.

Kilroy
04-26-08, 09:21
I've been looking at several single action .45 ACP pistols, including the M&P. I've held a couple of the thumb safety models, but they have all had the warped dust cover.

At first the mushy single action trigger of the M&P .40s that I've fired was a bit disconcerting. I've tried some of the clean up jobs done to the trigger of other folks M&P pistols, some via internet instruction, and can see some promise in that.