PDA

View Full Version : Why do you like the rail that you do?

1slow01Z71
09-08-13, 20:12
Ive had a yhm light rail, a seekins mcsr, fortis rev and two nsrs. So far I love the nsrs the best. Theyre so light, fit my hand great and beside their sometimes tempermental barrel nut alignment theyre awesome. I'm considering a geissele mark 2 or centurion cmr for my next build. Part of me says go with what I know I like a lot (nsr) but part of me says tey something different. Ive got my lightweight build 14.5 dd lw barrel with 13.5 nsr so absolute lightweight isnt necessary thus me considering something different. Just looking for some insight from people who have had an nsr but other newer rails as well.

F-Trooper05
09-08-13, 21:24
I was into the keymod phase for a hot minute when the NSR came out, but they don't really get me too excited like a lot of guys here. My favorite rails are the URX 3.1 And the Geissele MK1 (especially since the new ones have QD sling points). All I run is a light. No fore grip, hand stop, etc., so I really don't need much in the way of rail panels. The URX is much lighter, but the MK1 is friggin bomb proof. They both feel awesome in the hand. If I was building a gun, I'd pick the MK1. If I was buying a gun, I'd get one with the URX 3.1.

theblackknight
09-08-13, 21:33
I use the Samson tube, Rainier arms version. It's slick, light, uses stock barrel nut, came with a QD, and it does look cool.

It a popular choice and gets beat up, Stag, Colt and others use it for their 3 gun ready rifles.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

Zane1844
09-08-13, 21:46
I have two DD rails, one a 9" Omega X (I like) the other a 12" "LITE" rail, I do not like anymore.

Why I chose a "quad rail" a second time when I got a Omega X on a new rifle? Because I am use to it.

I want an NSR simply because how light it is. I really want to replace my hefty "LITE" rail. There is no doubt, however, that it is quality, and durable!

RWH24
09-08-13, 21:55
Troy VTAC 13.5, Diameter, slickness, no unwanted/needed rails. fairly lightweight and seems to be sturdy.
This one used the proprietary barrel nut and the 2 helicoil attachment points.
I want to try an NSR or the new BCM coming out, but may have to go on another carbine.
No reason to change this one. No complaints.:happy:

GTF425
09-08-13, 21:55
I would like to give a Geissele rail a shot. I like the URX 3.1 a whole lot because I would actually use the 3 and 9 o clock rails and I don't like the integral BUIS of the URX II.

I currently run a DD RIS II and love how durable they are. I went from a KAC RAS to the RIS II and the added length is appreciated for zeroing lasers, forward mounting my light, and having a longer sight radius with my BUIS.

themighty9mm
09-08-13, 21:58
I'm currently using and really enjoying the DD RIS2 m4a1 FSP. It has everything I was looking for in a rail. Allows me to get my hand further out, has a very tight strong and reassuring lockup to the barrel nut. Allowed me to retain the a2 FSP (that's a big one for me). Gets my light closer to the end of the barrel (the shadow bothered me) And while it wasn't meant for this purpose, its a nice bonus. I can remove the bottom half to clean and oil the outside of the barrel if the need comes up. Only down side is its a bit heavy, but not unbearable by any means.

Are there better rails out there? Sure, most likely but this one has met all my needs and most of my wants.

Tzook
09-08-13, 22:09
I've had the KAC URX 2, the Samson EVO, whatever comes on the LWRC M6, a Samson Star C, a Troy Bravo and now a Larue PredatAR.

So far my favorite is the LaRue. It fits my hand perfectly, and I love the system. I do however like the KAC URX 3.1 better, but not enough to drop the coin on it when I'm already very happy with what I have.

justin_247
09-08-13, 22:19
So far my favorite is the LaRue. It fits my hand perfectly, and I love the system.

I really like the LaRue, as well.

However, my personal favorite right now is Daniel Defense's new DDM4 rail that's coming on their rifles. It's very similar to the LaRue in profile, except slightly thinner.

Unfortunately, DD does not sell the rail by itself. :( :( :(

Wake27
09-08-13, 22:21
I had a VLTOR VIS on my Noveske but with the Switchblock, it was like a 9.5" rail and a heavy SOB. I sold off the rifle and picked up a BCM with the 12" Centurion. I liked that it was two-piece and I wanted a quad rail. The NSR never really did anything for me, but I'm anticipating using BCM's upcoming rail for whenever I have the money to build my fiance an AR. Keymod to keep it slick with mounting options at the 45*, apparently will be the lightest on the market, comes in 13", and at a great price. I'm thinking it'll go very well with their Comp 1 on a 14.5" LW barrel.

Mariley85
09-08-13, 22:54
i really like the troy trx. comfortable and light.

Tzook
09-08-13, 22:58

However, my personal favorite right now is Daniel Defense's new DDM4 rail that's coming on their rifles. It's very similar to the LaRue in profile, except slightly thinner.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........ All these D-bag companies are coming out with sweet stuff and making it impossible to get.

Do you have a link of that? I can't seem to find it.

Quick Draw
09-08-13, 23:12
I am using a Samson Evo 11" on my 16" carbine.

Like the small diameter tube since my hands are not large and do not need a full quad rail.

Mounts to a stock barrel nut and is very rigid and solid.

Boba Fett v2
09-08-13, 23:17
I really liked the KAC RAS II I had on my issue M4 during my second combat tour. Next would be the DD Block II rail I had when assigned to an SMU. For personal use, I also had the MI mid-length SS drop-in for a little bit. Nice cost effect rail there. The VLTOR mid-length CASV-M was also very nice, as well as the LaRue quad rail. Ultimately I'm very happy with the KAC URX II (and yes I even like the integrated front sight) and URX 3.1, which is by far the one that I really like the most. Slim profile, lightweight, versatile, and it looks like it means business. Can't ask for much more.

gun71530
09-08-13, 23:19
I'm using a Centurion C4 12 in mostly. It's simple, light, and rugged.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Agnostic
09-09-13, 00:10

I handled a DD rifle with one of these rails a few weeks ago, really nice.

VIP3R 237
09-09-13, 00:20
With the railed hand guards that I have personally owned or dealt with here are my thoughts:

Geissele and the URX 3.1 are the best on the market IMO.

Fortis, Centurion, Parallax Tactical, and DD also make great options.

Midwest Industries has really stepped up their game, and Troy is decent for the money.

Col_Crocs
09-09-13, 01:41
RISII mk18 for me...
Length and profile are just perfect for me. I dont mind the weight and the removable lower rail is a nice feature.

matemike
09-09-13, 04:33
My centurion because it used the stock barrel nut, fwd QD attach point, and keeps the FSP

My LaRue because its made in Texas, has a Texas shaped logo and is a smooth solid rail

My DD because of the solid n easy install on a first time build

Nightstalker865
09-09-13, 04:53
The Troy VTAC alpha rail is now my go to. It's light weight and slim. I can mount anything I need on it and leave off the things I don't.

skullworks
09-09-13, 06:14
The Troy VTAC alpha rail is now my go to. It's light weight and slim. I can mount anything I need on it and leave off the things I don't.
Same for me; have one on my 14.5 and just this past week I got another one for my 20".

Tapatapatapatalk

Failure2Stop
09-09-13, 07:35
I use and recommend the Centurion rails because they install at the user level, are fully functional, provide fore and aft QD sockets, and extend the rail for enabler mounting.

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g342/F2SConsulting/F2S%20Consulting%20LLC%20Practical%20Carbine%20Feb25-26%202012/DSC_0515.jpg

http://www.centurionarms.net/images/stories/carbine-cutout/Lg/carbine%20cutout%2010in%20barrel-Lg.jpg

https://www.centurionarms.net/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&flypage=carbine-cutout.tpl&product_id=79&Itemid=177

The only complaint I have is that I can twist the rail into contact with the FSB even with the bolts tightened per directions. I think that there are some simple solutions to this, but overall, the utility and functionality of the rail is enough to garner my recommendation.

I am also a fan of the URX3.1.
It was not until I came to KAC that I spent any significant time with the 3.1. I was not a fan of the integral front sight of the URX2 and 3, as I like a 12:00 light option if I am not restrained by a fixed FSB. Anyway, I found that the 3.1 integrates perfectly with my preferred grip, has hard points exactly where they are needed, and modular panels that perfectly cover where I put my hands. The panels do a superb job of insulating from heat while retaining a low profile.

I had heard less than positive opinions on how the URX family of handguards were installed, and I will say that they are sensitive to improper install, however, if properly assembled they are rock-solid.

http://www.knightarmco.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/2012_SBR_Carbine_Right1.jpg

SilverBullet432
09-09-13, 10:32
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........ All these D-bag companies are coming out with sweet stuff and making it impossible to get.

Do you have a link of that? I can't seem to find it.

i dont believe DD is a dbag company.. mine has the ddm4 rail, very light weight! and well made, DD does make various other rail systems you know.. the ddm4 rail is just the oem rail.

Freelance
09-09-13, 10:43
I think Monty's C4 rails are my current hands down favorite for weight, slim profile, and no sharp edges.

lethal dose
09-09-13, 10:57
Rail: LaRue- my personal favorite mounting system.
Tube: Rainier Evo- light, solid, small.

chadb
09-09-13, 11:06
I use magpul handgaurds and they work fine for me. I have seen a vast amount used when I go to 3 gun shoots and some do look as though they would be comfortable to use. However for me I'll stick with magpul, they feel good and they are cost efficient.

jmnielsen
09-09-13, 12:57
My favorite so far has been a Parallax Tactical FFSSR. Lightweight, has integrated QD spots, and rail space where I need it and not where I don't. I'm going to try one of their new Keymod versions for my next build.

texasmarine022003
09-09-13, 13:10
I run and like the Wilson Combat TRIM rail. Lightweight, free floating, modular, QD sockets, and user friendly. To add the additional rail sections all one must do is screw in the additional rails without removing the rail since each attachment point is already threaded.

samuse
09-09-13, 13:35
I use a surplus Knight's RAS.

It comes with a VFG that I like, it's easy, tough, in spec and good enough for me.

lowbar
09-09-13, 16:35
Thank you Failure2stop. I am in the market for that style free float. I hear MI makes them too.

Caeser25
09-09-13, 16:45
I have a DD Lite. At the time I bought it it was the lightest quad rail. I still like the small diameter. It works so I really have no need to change. If I were buying today. It would be either a Fortis Rev, one of Centurions offerings or the MI one piece ff g2 ss.

wilson1911
09-09-13, 18:51
I am running NSR rails on all my Ar's atm. My fingers are a little short and they allow me to grip the gun better. I ran two guns with them in carbine class and did not have any problems at all.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc171/jeep4tw/194.jpg (http://s219.photobucket.com/user/jeep4tw/media/194.jpg.html)

Zane1844
09-09-13, 19:10
Does anyone have the weight specs for the URX 3.1 in the 10.75 configuration?

That is ideal length and style of rail. It seems perfect to me, however, if it is not close to the NSR in weight then I will stick with the Noveske.

That price though, including the barrel nut wrench...

rapomstage3
09-09-13, 19:18
I am running NSR rails on all my Ar's atm. My fingers are a little short and they allow me to grip the gun better. I ran two guns with them in carbine class and did not have any problems at all.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc171/jeep4tw/194.jpg (http://s219.photobucket.com/user/jeep4tw/media/194.jpg.html)

That one on the right goes out to lunch for sure.

rapomstage3
09-09-13, 19:21
I like the urx 3.1 and am building a second that will be the bcm keymod. I love a skinny grip and the light weight. As of right now the 3.1 is the best rail I've handled IMHO.

Vandal
09-09-13, 19:45
PWS Keymod on my Mk114Mod1. I had an actual quad rail on my Mod0 and really didn't like it. Tons of rail space but I didn't use any of it other than my AFG and light at 12:00. I like the light weight of the keymod and the ability to put specific rail pieces exactly where I need them.

Once I get my 2nd rifle (Colt 6920 or BCM) it will most likely have a NSR and lo-pro gas block installed.

TacticalMark
09-09-13, 21:45
Another vote for the Centurion C4, this one is a mid-length.
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii141/markis24/photo9_zpsc911b987.jpg (http://s263.photobucket.com/user/markis24/media/photo9_zpsc911b987.jpg.html)

Koshinn
09-10-13, 02:06
Favorite rail to add to an upper without one: Centurion C4 for the weight, QD features, standard barrel nut, variety of lengths and cut outs, and overall amazing machine work. Worth every penny.

Favorite rail installed from the factory: URX 3.1. Light weight, available low profile panels, secure lock up when installed properly, it's just awesome. Only thing I'd change: remove the need of backing nuts/plates when mounting things to the 6 o'clock side. Also I wish the longer heat/grip panels were included by default.

Cylinder Head
09-10-13, 11:55
I was into the keymod phase for a hot minute when the NSR came out, but they don't really get me too excited like a lot of guys here. My favorite rails are the URX 3.1 And the Geissele MK1 (especially since the new ones have QD sling points). All I run is a light. No fore grip, hand stop, etc., so I really don't need much in the way of rail panels. The URX is much lighter, but the MK1 is friggin bomb proof. They both feel awesome in the hand. If I was building a gun, I'd pick the MK1. If I was buying a gun, I'd get one with the URX 3.1.

We think a lot alike sir. Except I use hand stops and AFG's. The URX 3.1 and the SMR Mk1 are very tough, have excellent utility and work well for people with small to medium sized hands.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d82/youreallclones/7878B659-D8A3-4DA9-99A4-323DD6C6F158-17536-0000112DC05CA10B_zps1b6f3748.jpg

Djstorm100
09-10-13, 15:24
DDM4 but I'm strongly changing it out to a Troy Alpha or NSR.

guitarist1993
09-10-13, 18:49
I have a Troy Alpha VTAC 15'' that I've really liked so far, and a Noveske NSR 15'' that I'll be putting on my second rifle very soon. I like the idea of a slick handguard since I don't attach anything to the bottom or sides.

SpyderMan2k4
09-10-13, 18:54
My first rail was a yhm lite. It was big and bulky, but not overly heavy.

I've now got a troy alpha that I love. Light weight, but the biggest thing I like about it is how low profile it is, yet I can still configure it to meet my needs. The built in flip up is nice as well.

RogerinTPA
09-10-13, 19:17
Ive had a yhm light rail, a seekins mcsr, fortis rev and two nsrs. So far I love the nsrs the best. Theyre so light, fit my hand great and beside their sometimes tempermental barrel nut alignment theyre awesome. I'm considering a geissele mark 2 or centurion cmr for my next build. Part of me says go with what I know I like a lot (nsr) but part of me says tey something different. Ive got my lightweight build 14.5 dd lw barrel with 13.5 nsr so absolute lightweight isnt necessary thus me considering something different. Just looking for some insight from people who have had an nsr but other newer rails as well.

I've had up to 5 DD lite rails over the years and at the time, they were the cutting edge as far as I'm concerned. Now days, not so much. Rails today have some very innovative improvements. Right now, the rail that is the lightest and most comfortable is the NSR as far as being in my most favored status.

jet66
09-10-13, 20:32
DD RIS II M4A1, w&w/o FSP. It's just the most comfortable rail in my hand, and I like the way they mount up to my rifles. The mounting system almost seems like overkill, but in a good way. (If that makes sense...)

GUNSLINGER733
09-10-13, 20:42
I've had a DD 12" light rail. I liked it because it was light but it felt bulky. I now have a dd m4 ris II and really like the length. It's really strong and has been great. Just wish it was lighter. My next rail for 14.5" mid will probably be a mkIV

Scotter260
09-10-13, 22:26
Old style Troy TRX VTAC - 9" on 11.5" LW SBR and 11" on 16" LW mid. I did have an issue with the 11" not staying put and I had that baby cranked down. Troy replaced at no cost.

Like:
-slim

-lightweight

-value>price

-allows 12 o'clock light position

-no excess rail space - tried an MVG on the 11" but didn't care for it. Only other item mounted is a DD fixed front sight.

-have been solid for my uses - 11" 1,300 rds since 06/12 install and daily riding in squad car gun rack

-enough extra length for slightly extended support arm/hand

-taught me not to fear cutting and grinding FSP - some of you have tangible skills, I don't and therefore appreciate being able to do semi-industrious things myself

-UWLs can be placed through slots for front sling mount - haven't figured out why I need QD sockets so I'm either clueless or really have no use for them

I keep wanting a DD RIS II 12.0 FSP for my 6720 but every time I think I'm ready to buy one, I remind myself that I'd be spending close to $400 just to mount a light on it.

I guess I'm sold on the Troy's because they suit my needs without being excessive in any way.

Forgot I had a photo - when the MVG was still mounted:
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z352/Scotter260/Apair1edit.jpg

Agnostic
09-10-13, 22:54
Right now I have a Troy VTAC 13" Alpha, and so far it has been solid (I have no complaints). But, if I were to replace it, I'd probably choose the new BCM Keymod, NSR, URX 3.1, or a Geissele rail.

I just have little use for all of the rail space a quad provides.

Boba Fett v2
10-06-13, 21:31

The locking screws at the base of the rail is the weak point on the Troy VTAC. It's too easy to over-torque and crack the rail. A weak design IMO.

Sent from my ZTE V768 using Tapatalk 2

TyGuy
10-06-13, 21:38
FYI a samson Evolution rail can be installed on a previously unrailed upper that has a permanently attached comp. So, if you have a 1.5" barrel with permanent comp or flash hider you can still get a free floated option.

Kain
10-06-13, 22:34
Personal preference is towards Larue rails or DD rails, though have considered others, but haven't gotten to really play with Centurion or MI rails to make a real informed decision if they are for me. Not much for a slick rail, don't personally care for them, prefer simple in I don't need other tools or parts to mount lights, or VGs. But, will admit that the mission does drive the gear, but for me I like a full quad rail and all money aside partial to Larue and DD Omega.

ColtSeavers
10-07-13, 01:35
My favorite is my VLTOR CASV-S. Absolutely zero modification, rails only where I want them, perfect diameter around the barrel/gas tube for my hands and even has a built in riser for my optic(s) on the flat top due to it's design. Damn thing is rock solid though it is heavy (by today's standards). Still love the damn thing and wish VLTOR still made it.

Benito
10-07-13, 10:56
Noveske NSR-7 and NSR-11.
Light, slim, sturdy you can mount rails where you do need them, and keep it slick otherwise.
BCM's new Keymod rail looks great, but I will be keeping my NSR's.

Jonny4523
10-07-13, 11:25
For my 3-gun rifle, I use a 15" Troy Alpha rail. Very light and skinny. I don't run anything on the rail, so I have no need for any rails on the sides and bottom. These are very cost effective as well and use a standard mil spec barrel nut.

For my general purpose rifle, I really like the Geissele MKII. It has a surprisingly smooth feeling similar to the Alpha. The modular attachment system is much easier to use than the Alpha's modular system as it has milled slots that the screw backings (coupled nuts) slide into. It uses its own barrel nut that is rock solid, with a ton of surface area contact. This thing will take a beating. The craftsmanship is 2nd to none. It's also surprisingly cheap compared to some other well made rails.

dentron
10-07-13, 17:17
I have a centurion c4 12" because no one has made a keymod that clamps to a stock barrel nut.... yet.

PatrioticDisorder
10-07-13, 17:36
I have a DDM4 V1 & V5, they have the goofy quad rails that are as out of style as Ed Hardy T-Shirts these days but they're thin and light and I don't have to worry about tinkering with adding a connection to a tube or key mod rail if I want to change what and where I may have an accessory attached, to me it's definitely a KISS rail, which works fine for my Civie use.

thehun
10-07-13, 19:01
I've had nothing but DD rails. I love the quality and size for my hand. Big fan of the Omega rails.

thehun
10-07-13, 19:02
I have a centurion c4 12" because no one has made a keymod that clamps to a stock barrel nut.... yet.

Fortis MFG

JChops
10-07-13, 19:47
Geissele SMR MK1 10" & 13"

Favorite modular design on the market. Especially the mount and how rock solid these rails lockup. They are totally interchangeable between lengths and rifles (easy swaps), simple to install and remove for rebarrels, etc.

I think Geissele nailed it with their original design in every area; the perfect blend of ergos, build quality, weight and looks.

The KAC URX series and Centurion are now my standbys. I still own rifles with these rails and like them perfectly fine.

dentron
10-07-13, 20:03
Fortis MFG

I should have clarified, a keymod tube rail.

tamabrand
10-07-13, 20:23
I'm really digging the Centurion CMR right now. All I've used up until now have been MOE handguards, CMR is just super slick and thin. I've got an upper with an NSR on the way for comparison, would like to fondle the SMRs some day.

Watrdawg
10-07-13, 20:34
So far I'm torn between the Centurion C4 and the Geissele MkIV. Both are very light and they fit my hands perfectly. I have small hands and when I put rail ladders on the C4 they still are fairly slim. The MKIV of course doesn't have rails, except for the very front of the rail and the very back but it rest perfectly in my hand for the way I grip it.

Waylander
10-07-13, 21:10
I'm a fan of my URX 3 but I'd prefer to get the 3.1 eventually. I went with the URX 3 compromise because for what a front BUIS would cost I could afford the wrench.
I used a milling machine and drill press to make a picatinny clamp to bridge the upper and rail for letting the loctite set and securing the barrel nut.
I modified three short panels to cover the whole smooth area and have a hand stop rail for the bottom but no pics.

The URX feels like the closest thing to a monolithic.

My second best is a 9" new style DDM4 I was able to find on an equipment exchange but I'd prefer a 10 or 12".

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=18337&stc=1&d=1381198129

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=18338&stc=1&d=1381198240