PDA

View Full Version : Spend some money on a bolt .22 or upgrade?

mrvip27
09-08-13, 23:35
I know this is the "noob" thing to do, but I am having a little trouble deciding what I want to do based off what I have been reading.

Do you guys suggest:

A) buy a savage mark II variant or cz 452/455

or

B) upgrade my current 10/22 w/ Kidd auto bolt release, cocking assembly, bolt buffer, mag release and maybe the trigger job kit and/or bolt extractor/firing pin

Thanks!

Maineshooter
09-10-13, 21:20
It really depends on what you want to do with it. If it were my I would go with choice "A." A bolt action opens up more ammo choices, like the new CCI "quiet" ammo that won't cycle in a 10/22. You can't go wrong with either one of the rifles. I have no direct experience with that CZ, but have heard good things about it. The Mark II is a real tack driver for the money even if the stock feels a little cheap. Plus, you won't feel as guilty putting a few dings and dents in the Savage if you are actually going to be banging around in the woods with it.

In the rimfire world, 10/22s are almost as bad as ARs as far as the "improvements" you can make. You can buy a really nice rifle for the cost of a 10/22 "upgrade" if your not careful.

mrvip27
09-11-13, 00:20
It really depends on what you want to do with it. If it were my I would go with choice "A." A bolt action opens up more ammo choices, like the new CCI "quiet" ammo that won't cycle in a 10/22. You can't go wrong with either one of the rifles. I have no direct experience with that CZ, but have heard good things about it. The Mark II is a real tack driver for the money even if the stock feels a little cheap. Plus, you won't feel as guilty putting a few dings and dents in the Savage if you are actually going to be banging around in the woods with it.

In the rimfire world, 10/22s are almost as bad as ARs as far as the "improvements" you can make. You can buy a really nice rifle for the cost of a 10/22 "upgrade" if your not careful.

Ya I was just thinking for the amount I am going to spend on upgrading the 10/22, I could easily buy one of the two bolt guns and still be more accurate.

Javelin
09-11-13, 00:25
I really like my savage .22 as it came with a threaded barrel. Suppressor ready and threw a vortex scope + rings on the thing all for a whopping $400 which is less than my SWR silencer. And it is accurate! Can't go wrong with the savage as its a fun rifle.

mrvip27
09-11-13, 00:26
I really like my savage .22 as it came with a threaded barrel. Suppressor ready and threw a vortex scope + rings on the thing all for a whopping $400 which is less than my SWR silencer. And it is accurate! Can't go wrong with the savage as its a fun rifle.

I see there are quite a few variations of the Mark II. Haha time to research.

jandbj
09-11-13, 10:26
Savage MKII FV-SR

mrvip27
09-11-13, 18:02
Savage MKII FV-SR

May I ask what the difference is between this model and say the BV or TR?

Does it not include a heavy barrel? Plus its a synthetic stock right?

GSPKurt
09-11-13, 21:30
I am +1 for the bolt gun.

mrvip27
09-11-13, 21:57
I am +1 for the bolt gun.

Thanks!

Btw, how does 22 lr compare to 17hmr? I know the 17 is way more expensive though?!

glocktogo
09-11-13, 22:37
As someone who has both a customized 10/22 and a customized Savage FV-SR, I can tell you that for me they fill completely different roles. The 10/22 will never be as quiet as the 10/22 and will cost over twice as much to get comparable levels of practical accuracy. The Savage will never equal the 10/22's rate of fire, ease of reloading or platform flexibility.

I went lightweight and fast handling for the 10/22 and quiet accuracy platform for the FV-SR (the FV-SR comes factory threaded 1/2X28 for a can BTW). Both will accept my Silencerco Sparrow suppressor and it's rare that either get shot without it. If I want to play and action gun game cheaply the 10/22 gets the nod. If I have to kill a varmint in the back yard, the Savage does.

Have both and enjoy the best each has to offer! :D

mrvip27
09-11-13, 22:46
As someone who has both a customized 10/22 and a customized Savage FV-SR, I can tell you that for me they fill completely different roles. The 10/22 will never be as quiet as the 10/22 and will cost over twice as much to get comparable levels of practical accuracy. The Savage will never equal the 10/22's rate of fire, ease of reloading or platform flexibility.

I went lightweight and fast handling for the 10/22 and quiet accuracy platform for the FV-SR (the FV-SR comes factory threaded 1/2X28 for a can BTW). Both will accept my Silencerco Sparrow suppressor and it's rare that either get shot without it. If I want to play and action gun game cheaply the 10/22 gets the nod. If I have to kill a varmint in the back yard, the Savage does.

Have both and enjoy the best each has to offer! :D

I am definitely thinking bolt since I already have the 10/22.

T2C
09-11-13, 23:25
Are you going to run iron sights or a scope on your bolt gun?

mrvip27
09-11-13, 23:27
Are you going to run iron sights or a scope on your bolt gun?

I am thinking a scope.

T2C
09-11-13, 23:31
Savage MKII TR is a good rifle. Mine will shoot MOA out to 225 yards with Wolf MT ammunition.

Gramps
09-11-13, 23:37
If you already have the 10/22, then I suggest getting a bolt. Then you can one piece at time, upgrade either one as you go. My son bought some savage .17 camo, and my 9 yr old grandson shot a tannerite bottle @ 70yds, 3 times in a row. Damn, those grandkids love that tannerite! (ME TOO)

The 10/22 has the most optional upgrade stuff for any .22
I have a "Savage Anschutz" bolt, with RSW 3-9 AO, and I love that thing.

mrvip27
09-11-13, 23:37
Savage MKII FVT is a good rifle. Mine will shoot MOA out to 225 yards with Wolf MT ammunition.

Isnt that the single shot model?

Also how are the savage mags?

T2C
09-12-13, 07:13
Isnt that the single shot model?

Also how are the savage mags?

I meant TR and corrected my original post. Mine is a 5 shot model with a tactical looking stock and oversize bolt handle. The Savage magazines aren't pretty, but they work well.

I am not the only one who has had success with the Savage MKII TR. A friend of mine uses his to warm up before breaking out his F class rifle for practice. He consistently hits 8" steel at 300 yards.

I have a scope mounted on this one and shoot it out to 225 yards: http://savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIITR

I use this one to shoot with iron sights out to 150 meters: http://savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFVT

I own a CZ452 LUX and it is a fine rifle. The ranges marked on the tangent rear sight are very close out to 200 meters. If I were going to put a scope on one, I would not purchase the model with iron sights.

jandbj
09-12-13, 07:26
May I ask what the difference is between this model and say the BV or TR?

Does it not include a heavy barrel? Plus its a synthetic stock right?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/savagefiles/firearms/models/900/y368Zlzsj_1fzw1fMb3.png

22 LR

Sku:

Caliber:

22 LR

Handed:

Right

Rate of Twist:

Weight:

5.5 lbs

Overall Length:

35.25"

Barrel Length:

16.5"

Ammo Capacity:

MSRP:

$260.00

Synthetic stock, 16" fluted threaded heavy barrel, and larger bolt handle with pic rail to mount scope. Was my favorite suppressor host until I replaced it with a PWS T3 (T3 is just AWESOME but expensive too).

T2C
09-12-13, 07:29
The Savage MKII TR has a wood stock. At some point I will have to glass bed the rifle.

mrvip27
09-12-13, 14:37
Thanks for all the input guys!

Ga45fan
09-15-13, 08:36
The Savage is a great little rifle and one you will not mind beating up a bit. But. I have a CZ 455 American and love the thing. It's a great looking rifle, extremely accurate and can be swapped from 22lr to 17 HMR with a barrel and mag swap, which is very easy. 2 calibers in one rifle is nice.

It depends on what you want to do with it, for plinking the 10/22 is one of the best rifles going right out of the box, if it's small game and some bulls eye shooting go with the CZ. If you want a super quiet tack driver the Savage is the only way to go. You can't really screw up this decision, you'll get a great shooter no matter which way you go.

86 slo-vo
09-15-13, 10:23
Get a bolt gun.

I have been having a blast with mine, shooting subs at 200 yards and target loads at 300+.

I decided on an older marlin 25. Also shoots shorts, longs and long rifle.

wingspar
09-15-13, 11:27
Btw, how does 22 lr compare to 17hmr? I know the 17 is way more expensive though?!

I would also buy a bolt gun, keep the 10/22 and maybe do those upgrades later on as you can afford them.

I have a Savage 93R17 GV and chose it over one of the CZ models because it was cheaper, and has a reputation for being a tack driver. I think the same would apply to the .22 LR models. Cost of .17 HMR ammo is on par with medium cost 9mm ammo, about $14 for a box of 50, but the cost and availability of .22 ammo today is ridiculous.

I have a 10/22 I bought for $149 used a few years ago and have had no problems with it. Every time I think about upgrading the trigger, I look at the cost and say no. It’s a fun gun as is. No experience with the Savage or CZ in .22. You can’t go wrong with either of them. Savage for function, CZ for function and finish.

leman
09-15-13, 13:24
I used to have both a savage MKII FVSR and a 10/22. when I got my .22 AR upper I actually sold the 10/22. The FVSR is an awesome little tack driver with an over sized bolt handle, threaded 16.5" barrel, and comes with scope base already installed.

I added a BSA sweet .22, a boyds rimfire hunter, a 550cord sling, and an extra flash hider i had laying around for S&Gs till my stamp comes back.
http://mannmade.smugmug.com/Firearms/i-pBTSfWG/0/M/IMG_6767-M.jpg (http://mannmade.smugmug.com/Firearms/i-pBTSfWG/A)

http://mannmade.smugmug.com/Firearms/i-mmFPHC9/0/M/IMG_6769-M.jpg (http://mannmade.smugmug.com/Firearms/i-mmFPHC9/A)

glocktogo
09-15-13, 14:33
I used to have both a savage MKII FVSR and a 10/22. when I got my .22 AR upper I actually sold the 10/22. The FVSR is an awesome little tack driver with an over sized bolt handle, threaded 16.5" barrel, and comes with scope base already installed.

I added a BSA sweet .22, a boyds rimfire hunter, a 550cord sling, and an extra flash hider i had laying around for S&Gs till my stamp comes back.
http://mannmade.smugmug.com/Firearms/i-pBTSfWG/0/M/IMG_6767-M.jpg (http://mannmade.smugmug.com/Firearms/i-pBTSfWG/A)

http://mannmade.smugmug.com/Firearms/i-mmFPHC9/0/M/IMG_6769-M.jpg (http://mannmade.smugmug.com/Firearms/i-mmFPHC9/A)

I just installed this same stock and DIP bottom metal on mine, but in pepper gray/green instead. It's a HUGE improvement over the factory stock.

mrvip27
09-15-13, 14:44
Thanks for the extra input fellas :D

Tennvol12345
09-15-13, 16:47
10/22 with a bolt lock. Makes your 10/22 a single shot and easy to switch back and forth (flip of a lever). And it's pretty quiet with a can on it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2