PDA

View Full Version : Optics, grip, and stock swap questions.

mastiffhound
09-09-13, 00:24
I had a few questions that I figured would be easily answered by the collective. I did the orange search button and came up with reviews but not much on long term use info which is what I'm after really. Also, sorry for the long post but starting up 3 different threads seemed like overkill.

1. I've done an optics swap, my Leupold 1.5-4x20 Mark AR Firedot now resides on my BCM middy. I've decided that my 20" PSA is now relegated to plinker-town and maybe hog duty. I need a "cheaper" low magnification optic. I would really like to keep it under $300. These companies get mostly good reviews and I don't want go any lower to stuff like BSA or Barska. These are my picks so far:

Nikon 1-4x20 Monarch 3 Riflescope BDC $279
Primary Arms 1-6X Scope with ACSS Reticle (not out yet but I'll wait) $249
Leupold 1-4x20 VX-1 Hog Scope (My 20" may become my hog gun) $229

Has anybody used any of these (or if you have the PA 1-4, how has it held up?) for a significant amount of time? I'm liking the PA the most because of the illuminated reticle and the extra magnification.

2. I never really started shooting prone until the last 3 years when I moved to the country. The range I frequented said prone was a safety hazard. The angle of my grip causes some discomfort when I shoot for an hour or more, will the newer less steep angled grips help? I'm looking for experience with BCM or Magpul's new grips while shooting prone is all.

3. I've never hated the A1 or A2 stock, length was fine but the cheek weld just never fit me quite right. My LMT SOPMOD stock is great, it fits my Neanderthal-like jaw and cheekbone structure perfectly. I would like to stick to the fixed stock on my 20" though.

Does anyone have extended time from 6 months of use or more with the MAGS LLC EFX-A1, Magpul MOE fixed stock, Magpul Fixed Carbine Stock (I do have extra buffers, springs, and REs laying around), or the RRA Operator A2 Stock (admittedly a last resort)?

As always, thank you all for your time and knowledge!

Wake27
09-09-13, 00:47
I had a few questions that I figured would be easily answered by the collective. I did the orange search button and came up with reviews but not much on long term use info which is what I'm after really. Also, sorry for the long post but starting up 3 different threads seemed like overkill.

1. I've done an optics swap, my Leupold 1.5-4x20 Mark AR Firedot now resides on my BCM middy. I've decided that my 20" PSA is now relegated to plinker-town and maybe hog duty. I need a "cheaper" low magnification optic. I would really like to keep it under $300. These companies get mostly good reviews and I don't want go any lower to stuff like BSA or Barska. These are my picks so far:

Nikon 1-4x20 Monarch 3 Riflescope BDC $279
Primary Arms 1-6X Scope with ACSS Reticle (not out yet but I'll wait) $249
Leupold 1-4x20 VX-1 Hog Scope (My 20" may become my hog gun) $229

Has anybody used any of these (or if you have the PA 1-4, how has it held up?) for a significant amount of time? I'm liking the PA the most because of the illuminated reticle and the extra magnification.

2. I never really started shooting prone until the last 3 years when I moved to the country. The range I frequented said prone was a safety hazard. The angle of my grip causes some discomfort when I shoot for an hour or more, will the newer less steep angled grips help? I'm looking for experience with BCM or Magpul's new grips while shooting prone is all.

3. I've never hated the A1 or A2 stock, length was fine but the cheek weld just never fit me quite right. My LMT SOPMOD stock is great, it fits my Neanderthal-like jaw and cheekbone structure perfectly. I would like to stick to the fixed stock on my 20" though.

Does anyone have extended time from 6 months of use or more with the MAGS LLC EFX-A1, Magpul MOE fixed stock, Magpul Fixed Carbine Stock (I do have extra buffers, springs, and REs laying around), or the RRA Operator A2 Stock (admittedly a last resort)?

As always, thank you all for your time and knowledge!

There's tons of stuff around on grips. Check out the BCM Mod 0 vs Mod 1 grip thread for reviews on them and some comparisons to others. The Magpul K grip is their only offering with a steeper angle at the moment. I personally love the BCM grips, all of my rifles wear them. Will it help your discomfort? Maybe. If the discomfort is in your wrist than probably, but impossible to say for you for sure. Give them a shot. Your shoulders are square to the target when prone just like standing so physiologically that's what they were designed for.

As for the stocks, the fixed Magpul stocks have only been out a few months so you won't find much long term on them. Its about as safe an assumption as possible that they'll serve you well, Magpul makes good stuff. And even though its out of stock, I'd get on the notification list for BCM's fixed A2 stock over RRA's, though I don't know it would matter much.