PDA

View Full Version : Varget w/RCBS Uniflow Measure

WPD53
09-09-13, 20:34
I am noticing some issues with my RCBS Uniflow Powder Measure when loading with Varget. What I am seeing is that on some turns of the measuring cylinder, it feels as though some of the powder is getting hung up between the cylinder and main casting body. After nudging it through, the weight has always been higher than when there isn't a hang up.

Anyone else seen this issue? If so, how did you correct it or deal with it? I have been dumping the discharged powder back and trying again. This has happened 2-3 times in a row sometimes. I noticed that when using RL10X it doesn't happen quite as often.

Thanks!!

Tzed250
09-09-13, 21:35
What you are feeling is the cylinder trapping a powder stick between itself and the measure body. It is one of the evils of using Varget. If you can develop a stroke with a little more speed then the cylinder will cut the granule. A great deal depends on what your tolerance for the charge weight is.

WPD53
09-09-13, 21:57
Thanks Tzed250, that's pretty much what I figured was happening. Catching a stick. I will try to speed up my crank and see what that does. I have been dropping 25.3 grains and getting up to 25.8 after feeling the "catch". I wasn't too concerned with a tenth of a grain up or down, but .5 kind of worried me some.

Thanks again!

Steve in PA
09-10-13, 15:14
The drum is "cutting" the powder. Happens with all stick powders. A good, steady rhythm will help control the process. Whenever I use stick powders, I weigh each charge.

G woody
09-10-13, 15:19
The drum is "cutting" the powder. Happens with all stick powders. A good, steady rhythm will help control the process. Whenever I use stick powders, I weigh each charge.

I agree. With Stick powders just set the powder measure to drop a slightly light charge, then use a trickler & scale (I use a balance beam) to bring the powder weight up to the desired charge.

Tzed250
09-10-13, 15:23

As long as keep a consistent stroke my Uniflow will throw Varget to within ±.1 of a grain. Plenty good enough for anything with a 5.56 chamber.

NWPilgrim
09-10-13, 15:56
Very common with extruded powders. IMR 4064 is even worse. Also, after several years of loading Varget with my Uniflow, it started bridging in the drop tube. Really keep an eye on powder level to make sure you don't get a partial charge followed by an overcharge.

I get about one crunch for every 5-10 throws. Not sure if the weight changes but just to be sure I dump that case back into the measure and re-throw it.

wahoo95
09-10-13, 15:57
My cheap Lee Perfect Powder Measure works well with Varget

Airhasz
09-10-13, 17:42
Very common with extruded powders. IMR 4064 is even worse. Also, after several years of loading Varget with my Uniflow, it started bridging in the drop tube. Really keep an eye on powder level to make sure you don't get a partial charge followed by an overcharge.

I get about one crunch for every 5-10 throws. Not sure if the weight changes but just to be sure I dump that case back into the measure and re-throw it.

Time for a breakdown and through cleaning of equipment.

CaptainN8
09-10-13, 18:08
Lee Perfect Powder measure throws varget dead on for me.

You have to pull the handle down tap the body twice then back up. Boom within +\- .010 grain every time. I read this somewhere else before I bought one and it works perfect

WPD53
09-10-13, 20:12
Thanks everyone for the input and suggestions. I will check into the Lee Perfect Powder Measure. From what I see, it is inexpensive. I have seen pretty good reviews for the RCBS Uniflow and it happened to come in the kit that I bought. But I am sure another measure wouldn't hurt, right?!?! Haha

Like I said in my original post, I have been dumping the charge back when the cylinder catches a stick. Figured that was the best thing to do after seeing how much higher the weight was. Haven't had any bridging issues yet, but then again I've only loaded about 250 rounds.

NWPilgrim
09-11-13, 14:16
Time for a breakdown and through cleaning of equipment.

I'll give that a try. I've used the Uniflow for 25 years and never had a problem and never cleaned it internally. But that could be it. Sometimes the most obvious solution is right there ready to bite me on the nose. Thanks.