PDA

View Full Version : iOS 7 for iPhone on the 18th

Pages : [1] 2

Belmont31R
09-11-13, 08:33
If you have an iPhone 4 or newer iOS 7 will be released on the 18th. I have been running beta 6 and now the GM which is what will be released. I think people will really like the difference and iOS has been due for a good change for a while.

Swiping up from the bottom gives you a lot of quick toggle options like wifi, Bluetooth, brightness, music controls, quick access to the camera, calculator, flashlight, ect.

Notifications has some good stuff for calendar views, stocks, ect

In safari you no longer have to scroll all the way to the top to refresh, and you can swipe to go back and forth between pages. Swiping also works for the settings menu.

Multitasking is cleaner and you get a view of the app not just an icon.

Photos app is much cleaner and it automatically groups photos into dates and events. Photo streams can have photos added from multiple people so now we have a shared stream for family photos, ect

Camera has built in filters if you're into that.

If you purchase iTunes Match which is already a great service, the music app has a built in pandora like music radio service. iTunes Match makes that service ad free, and is like $25 a year. Otherwise you get ads but it's still built in for free.

You have the option to auto download app updates.

Overall I'm very impressed and the GM runs very good on my iPhone 5. Did a little test last night charging it to full, unplugged it, and woke up this morning at 95% so it's not a battery sucker. This will be a great base to add onto going forward for iOS and the cleaner look is great. Gone are the fake textures and shaded buttons.

If you upgrade make sure to do a backup first and you will need to be on iTunes 11.1 which should be released next week. You can update but iOS 7 won't sync with anything older.

Irish
09-11-13, 08:55
Good stuff. Thanks for sharing your info.

Tzed250
09-11-13, 08:58
Sounds like some good upgrades for one of my favorite toys.

jpmuscle
09-11-13, 09:04
I still can't bring myself to drink the apple Kool-Aid and jump on that bandwagon...

Idk, maybe its me.

polymorpheous
09-11-13, 09:07
Two new iPhones coming out soon also.
The iPhone 5s and 5c.
The iPhone 5c is supposed to retail for $99.

CoryCop25
09-11-13, 09:32
Sounds like a good upgrade.
Is anyone experiencing any issues with the top button (screen lock) on the iPhone 5? I have to press it quite hard to lock the screen or to turn the phone off. Interestingly enough, after the last iOS update, the button began working for quite a while and then went back to its old ways.

halmbarte
09-11-13, 09:56
I still can't bring myself to drink the apple Kool-Aid and jump on that bandwagon...

Idk, maybe its me.

It's very tasty but only comes in limited flavors.

I spend enough time at work trying to keep computers from shitting the bed to be 'amused' by having to dink with my phone too.

That said, I'll upgrade to iOS 7 after 7.1 comes out or its been out a month with no reported problems.

Why be a unpaid beta tester?

H

Whiskey_Bravo
09-11-13, 10:06
Sounds like a good upgrade.
Is anyone experiencing any issues with the top button (screen lock) on the iPhone 5? I have to press it quite hard to lock the screen or to turn the phone off. Interestingly enough, after the last iOS update, the button began working for quite a while and then went back to its old ways.

I believe that is a fairly common problem with iPhones. It's not a software issue, the button connection breaks. I have had to replace my iphone once for that exact issue.

There are videos of people repairing it on youtube but I had the warranty so I just let them replace it.

Belmont31R
09-11-13, 10:39
I believe that is a fairly common problem with iPhones. It's not a software issue, the button connection breaks. I have had to replace my iphone once for that exact issue.

There are videos of people repairing it on youtube but I had the warranty so I just let them replace it.

Known problem. Should be taken to an Apple store for a warranty claim as you did.

FlyingHunter
09-11-13, 11:22
I'm planning to leave my Android and take my virgin leap into Apple with the new 5s.

btw...wall street is beating aapl pretty hard today, down nearly 6%

Army Chief
09-11-13, 11:28
Good roll-up. I don't see any real reason to hold off, and will probably upgrade pretty quickly. Seems to integrate (as updates often do) many of the jailbreak-driven functions, though obviously this one represents more of a leap than the usual half-hop.

AC

Belmont31R
09-11-13, 11:50
I'm planning to leave my Android and take my virgin leap into Apple with the new 5s.

btw...wall street is beating aapl pretty hard today, down nearly 6%

I've used both and I think if you want a bit simpler of a phone and can get used to the Apple ecosystem you will like the iPhone a lot. iOS is not designed to be open and Apple doesn't really care about going out of their way to support 3rd party apps. But I think you get a smoother experience and less hassle that way. I tried a gs3 and I noticed things like widgets taking forever to load, random app crashes & errors, ect. The Play Store has a ton of junk in it and they have let malicious apps on there. They have come out with some nice features and if you're deep into the Google ecosystem Android is probably the way to go. I've gotten rid of all my Google accounts and don't miss it. I only have one gmail account I have to use for college. One of my biggest pet peeves with the gs3 is picture texts were displayed as a video/slideshow so you couldn't view the picture full screen and it wasn't fixed going from 4.0 to 4.1. I was also amazed there was no built in visual voicemail. The solution I had to use was Google Voice which is lame.

You will also get updates at the same time regardless of carrier, and the device will also get updates much further into its life. A lot of Android phones get only one update and some have gotten none. Up until recently Gingerbread was still the most popular Android os. Carriers have nothing to do with iOS updates which is far better for us.

One feature I forgot to mention is you can now view cellular data usage by app and toggle it on/off per app. That's one place Android got right with data tracking.

ra2bach
09-11-13, 14:24
I have a 4s. I still haven't done the 6.1.3 update as I heard there were problems with it but my phone is running well.

is there a performance reason to do all these upgrades or do they just give added functionality?..

Belmont31R
09-11-13, 15:38
I have a 4s. I still haven't done the 6.1.3 update as I heard there were problems with it but my phone is running well.

is there a performance reason to do all these upgrades or do they just give added functionality?..

They are usually bug and security fixes. Going to iOS 7 would offer you the changes I noted above. There's nothing wrong with staying where you are at but if you have to restore or anything like that you'd have to go to 7 anyways. Apple only signs the current version of iOS that way.

GeorgiaBoy
09-11-13, 16:35
Everything looks good on paper, the new features are nice, but my only complaint is the "refresh" of the look.

To quote something I heard earlier today, "iOS 7 looks like iOS 6's sassy gay cousin".

http://readwrite.com/files/ios7_homescreen.jpg

Belmont31R
09-11-13, 16:46
I thought the same thing until I used it. I don't use like half the stock apps anyways.

FlyingHunter
09-11-13, 20:15
I've used both and I think if you want a bit simpler of a phone and can get used to the Apple ecosystem you will like the iPhone a lot. iOS is not designed to be open and Apple doesn't really care about going out of their way to support 3rd party apps. But I think you get a smoother experience and less hassle that way. I tried a gs3 and I noticed things like widgets taking forever to load, random app crashes & errors, ect. The Play Store has a ton of junk in it and they have let malicious apps on there. They have come out with some nice features and if you're deep into the Google ecosystem Android is probably the way to go. I've gotten rid of all my Google accounts and don't miss it. I only have one gmail account I have to use for college. One of my biggest pet peeves with the gs3 is picture texts were displayed as a video/slideshow so you couldn't view the picture full screen and it wasn't fixed going from 4.0 to 4.1. I was also amazed there was no built in visual voicemail. The solution I had to use was Google Voice which is lame.

You will also get updates at the same time regardless of carrier, and the device will also get updates much further into its life. A lot of Android phones get only one update and some have gotten none. Up until recently Gingerbread was still the most popular Android os. Carriers have nothing to do with iOS updates which is far better for us.

One feature I forgot to mention is you can now view cellular data usage by app and toggle it on/off per app. That's one place Android got right with data tracking.

Great points Belmont!

Now that you mentioned it, I remember of a new update called Ice Cream Sandwich which was scheduled to come to my Android for over a year and it never did materialize. In fact, in 2 years, I had only one unsubstantial update.

Your comment regarding the ecosystem is thought provoking. I believe the future of the devices are heading that direction with cloud services including advanced billing and/or payment capabilities.

.46caliber
09-11-13, 20:45
Carriers have nothing to do with iOS updates which is far better for us.

That's not accurate. Every carrier has their say in every update on every phone sold under their brand. If the phone has a Verizon logo on it, you bet they have a say in its roll out. Same for all the others. The phones operate on their networks, pulling data through their servers and are sold largely on their subsidy. This is particularly true for VZW and Sprint as some of the code that operates the cellular radios for those two is proprietary. ATT and TMo use the GSM standard which is an open standard and used worldwide.

Apple does get updates out faster and more regularly than most Android devices, but not because they aren't reviewed by carriers. The reason iOS phones receive more timely updates is because of the limited hardware variations. One manufacturer releases software for use on just a few hardware variations. Samsung has about 40 variations and they add their own tweaks to the android system because it is open source and they use it to differentiate their devices.

That variation is simultaneously Android's greatest strength and softest weakness compared to iOS.

A Nexus device straight from Google is unlike the experience you would have with a carrier branded phone from HTC or Samsung or LG or Motorola. Nexus run the software all others are based on and they are sold direct outside of carriers.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

.46caliber
09-11-13, 20:50
All that said, I'm excited to see what the new iOS is like. It's been in desperate need of a refresh for some time.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Belmont31R
09-11-13, 21:09
There are no carrier logos on iPhones aside from the name next to the signal strength meter. This is why the iPhone was an AT&T exclusive for a long time. VZW wanted update control and branding. They didn't get it and finally caved because of the lost sales.

The carriers can push out their own updates to iPhones but only for the part that deals with their networks. AT&T pushed one out that updated iPhones to include government alerts but you can turn those off. The os updates are straight from Apple. They don't have to wait for carrier approval.

decodeddiesel
09-12-13, 09:53
Well, I'm at the end of my rope with my iPhone 3GS. I guess with Apple no longer supporting it, it's time to upgrade.

I have been seriously considering switching back to Android in the form of the new MotoX phone. My only experience with the OS was an HTC Hero from about 4 years ago. I had it for about 3 months before I finally just gave up on it and got my 3GS. The phone was so awful it really put a bad taste in my mouth when it came to Android. I imagine things have gotten better with regard to the OS and I know I will never again buy anything made by HTC.

So it's between a new iPhone 5S and a MotoX.

I'm not at all looking forward to spending $200 on a phone and getting into another contract with AT&T. I've been "month to month" for well over a year now and it's a good feeling. I would much rather be putting the $200 toward ammo and or magazines at this point, but my old iphone just isn't cutting it anymore. :mad:

Belmont31R
09-12-13, 10:00
Do some research on the Moto X if the camera is important to you. From what I've seen it's pretty crappy. There's a lot more to it than just MP count. The quality of the lenses, sensor, software processing, ect.

Are you paying the same month to month as you were on contract? If so you're giving AT&T a free ~$20 every month that would otherwise subsidize a new phone.

jpmuscle
09-12-13, 10:09
My last two Droids were Moto phones and they were absolute garbage. Cameras were crap as was the processing speeds. Maybe I just get to the point where I expect to much mult-tasking capability or something IDK. I love the droid platform just not Moto phones and I will not be buy another one. The galaxy S4 is next on my list but im waiting to see if they come out with a s4 mini. My contract is up now so I can upgrade at any time. I can't wait to get rid of the X2 that I have now.

Don't get me wrong Apple makes a good product and I really like their user interface but getting locked into their system just does not appeal to me on principle.

Belmont31R
09-12-13, 10:52
My last two Droids were Moto phones and they were absolute garbage. Cameras were crap as was the processing speeds. Maybe I just get to the point where I expect to much mult-tasking capability or something IDK. I love the droid platform just not Moto phones and I will not be buy another one. The galaxy S4 is next on my list but im waiting to see if they come out with a s4 mini. My contract is up now so I can upgrade at any time. I can't wait to get rid of the X2 that I have now.

Don't get me wrong Apple makes a good product and I really like their user interface but getting locked into their system just does not appeal to me on principle.

How do you get locked into their system?

decodeddiesel
09-12-13, 10:52
Do some research on the Moto X if the camera is important to you. From what I've seen it's pretty crappy. There's a lot more to it than just MP count. The quality of the lenses, sensor, software processing, ect.

I'll look into that. Yes, taking pictures and video is a priority. After phone calls, SMS, and listening to stored and streaming music on my phone, the camera is the only other thing I ever do with it. I could care less about games and probably 95 percent of the apps out there.

Are you paying the same month to month as you were on contract? If so you're giving AT&T a free ~$20 every month that would otherwise subsidize a new phone.

Could you please explain this? I took a look at my bill and I'm not really seeing it.

Palmguy
09-12-13, 10:56
If you have an iPhone 4 or newer iOS 7 will be released on the 18th. I have been running beta 6 and now the GM which is what will be released. I think people will really like the difference and iOS has been due for a good change for a while.

Swiping up from the bottom gives you a lot of quick toggle options like wifi, Bluetooth, brightness, music controls, quick access to the camera, calculator, flashlight, ect.

Notifications has some good stuff for calendar views, stocks, ect

In safari you no longer have to scroll all the way to the top to refresh, and you can swipe to go back and forth between pages. Swiping also works for the settings menu.

Multitasking is cleaner and you get a view of the app not just an icon.

Photos app is much cleaner and it automatically groups photos into dates and events. Photo streams can have photos added from multiple people so now we have a shared stream for family photos, ect

Camera has built in filters if you're into that.

If you purchase iTunes Match which is already a great service, the music app has a built in pandora like music radio service. iTunes Match makes that service ad free, and is like $25 a year. Otherwise you get ads but it's still built in for free.

You have the option to auto download app updates.

Overall I'm very impressed and the GM runs very good on my iPhone 5. Did a little test last night charging it to full, unplugged it, and woke up this morning at 95% so it's not a battery sucker. This will be a great base to add onto going forward for iOS and the cleaner look is great. Gone are the fake textures and shaded buttons.

If you upgrade make sure to do a backup first and you will need to be on iTunes 11.1 which should be released next week. You can update but iOS 7 won't sync with anything older.

A lot of good features on that list, good to see. A lot of them have been on Android for varying amounts of time, which isn't intended to stoke any Android v Apple wars, just to say from experience, they should provide a definite increase in utility.

jpmuscle
09-12-13, 10:57
How do you get locked into their system?

ITunes etc.

I've also always held to the steadfast belief that Apple is comparable to the dark side of the force and Jobs was the equivalent of Vader.

I like star wars growing up.....

Palmguy
09-12-13, 10:59
I'll look into that. Yes, taking pictures and video is a priority. After phone calls, SMS, and listening to stored and streaming music on my phone, the camera is the only other thing I ever do with it. I could care less about games and probably 95 percent of the apps out there.

Could you please explain this? I took a look at my bill and I'm not really seeing it.

The theory behind subsidized phones is that you pay a discounted price at the point of sale and then the carrier recoups their discount by having you locked in for 2 years. The problem with this is that you generally pay the same price per month if you are not under contract due to a subsidized phone. You won't see it on your bill as a separate line, you just are paying the same as those with discounted phones. Your only advantage is that you have the freedom to switch to a different carrier if you wanted to.

Belmont31R
09-12-13, 11:23

AT&T factors in the subsidy in their plan pricing. If you buy an iPhone off contract it's $650. If you buy it on contract is $200. So they make up for the missing $450 through your monthly plan payments. $450/24 is $18.75 a month. After 24 months you've basically paid full price for the phone. After that you are giving them that extra $18.75 to pocket without getting anything out of it.

If you want to stay month to month there are better options than a full price AT&T plan.

People are paying like $45 or $50 a month for other month to month plans but then you don't get a subsidized phone. It works out for us being on contract because we have a 22% service discount and waived upgrade fees. 2 phones with unlimited calls, texts, and 2gb of shared data for us is $127 a month. We have subsidized phones which would be $18.75x2 ($37.50 a month in subsidy). $127 - $37.50 is $89.50 for the actual phone service. That's $47.50 a month per phone. Have a hard time beating that with any pre paid plan. If you don't upgrade AT&T basically gets to pocket the $18.75 per phone every month.

There are tons of people in the same boat paying contract plan pricing and letting the carriers pocket the money they build into the pricing for the subsidy. I have a friend with a 3GS and told him the same thing. This was months ago when the iPhone 4 was free on contract and no new phones were announced. If you plan to stick with the same carrier you might as well use the upgrade even if it's an older 'free' phone.

FWIW Walmart is going to have the iPhone 5 for $79 on contract and the 4 and 4s for under a dollar on contract. The 5c will be under $100 and the 5s will be $187. All on AT&T.

halmbarte
09-12-13, 11:24
I was just talking to a coworker that wants to switch from his Samsung SlabPhone.

He was asking about battery life on the iPhone5, which gets me thru an average day pretty easily. I'll be the first to concede that if you're watching a bunch of streamed movies continuously over cell service you can flatten the battery in 3-4 hours.

His problem is that, unless he digs down into the settings and turns a bunch of stuff that auto launches off, his battery will be dead in a half day of minimal use, mostly sitting in his pocket. He's pretty sure it's that shiteware apps that Sumsung craps all over Android with killing the battery but he can't remove them or shut them off permanently. He's not willing to root the phone either as he still has warranty time left.

Apple may be the Evil Empire but they are smart enough not to screw up the golden goose and they protect you from the carrier's shenanigans.

If it weren't Apple I'd be using one of the Nexus phones that don't have the manufacturer's taint stink on them.

H

Palmguy
09-12-13, 11:36
I was just talking to a coworker that wants to switch from his Samsung SlabPhone.

He was asking about battery life on the iPhone5, which gets me thru an average day pretty easily. I'll be the first to concede that if you're watching a bunch of streamed movies continuously over cell service you can flatten the battery in 3-4 hours.

His problem is that, unless he digs down into the settings and turns a bunch of stuff that auto launches off, his battery will be dead in a half day of minimal use, mostly sitting in his pocket. He's pretty sure it's that shiteware apps that Sumsung craps all over Android with killing the battery but he can't remove them or shut them off permanently. He's not willing to root the phone either as he still has warranty time left.

Apple may be the Evil Empire but they are smart enough not to screw up the golden goose and they protect you from the carrier's shenanigans.

If it weren't Apple I'd be using one of the Nexus phones that don't have the manufacturer's taint stink on them.

H

Without going too far off topic and into the Android rabbit hole, I'll just say that rooting is easily reversible.

Belmont31R
09-12-13, 11:38
ITunes etc.

I've also always held to the steadfast belief that Apple is comparable to the dark side of the force and Jobs was the equivalent of Vader.

I like star wars growing up.....

Never had a problem with iTunes and I find it far better than Kies. You can use other PC programs for music and just use iTunes to sync. I also use iTunes Match so you can upload any music you want that isn't in a protected format and then stream it to your phone. I've used the google version and it's all in a web based format with a sync program. That sync program on my computer went bonkers with CPU usage. I have music in iTunes and iTunes Match I have gotten from cd's, Amazon mp3, google, ect. What iTunes Match does is replace the file you have with their own AAC version. AAC is superior to mp3 for audio quality. If iTunes doesn't have the same exact song they keep it stored in the format you have. Then I can download all my music on any iOS device or through iTunes just with my login. Don't have to worry about losing anything due to a hdd failure or whatever. With iTunes Match in the music app you can have a mix of locally stored music or streamed. The streams are not laggy at all and are denoted with a little cloud icon next to the song. You can tap that and download it to the phone. This allows you to get by with say a 16gb phone without worrying about filling it up with music. I just have my most listened to stuff locally stored. My wife and I share the same iTunes account (different iCloud accts) and have different music tastes so all her country isn't downloaded on the phone but I can still see it (or I can hide music I haven't downloaded).

With iOS 7 we are also getting iTunes Radio which is free with ads. My yearly iTunes Match subscription removes the ads and I was using that service anyways. Beats paying $10 a month for spotify or google music.

decodeddiesel
09-12-13, 11:43
Thanks for taking the time to explain that Belmont, even if it does piss me off a little.

jpmuscle
09-12-13, 11:57
Never had a problem with iTunes and I find it far better than Kies. You can use other PC programs for music and just use iTunes to sync. I also use iTunes Match so you can upload any music you want that isn't in a protected format and then stream it to your phone. I've used the google version and it's all in a web based format with a sync program. That sync program on my computer went bonkers with CPU usage. I have music in iTunes and iTunes Match I have gotten from cd's, Amazon mp3, google, ect. What iTunes Match does is replace the file you have with their own AAC version. AAC is superior to mp3 for audio quality. If iTunes doesn't have the same exact song they keep it stored in the format you have. Then I can download all my music on any iOS device or through iTunes just with my login. Don't have to worry about losing anything due to a hdd failure or whatever. With iTunes Match in the music app you can have a mix of locally stored music or streamed. The streams are not laggy at all and are denoted with a little cloud icon next to the song. You can tap that and download it to the phone. This allows you to get by with say a 16gb phone without worrying about filling it up with music. I just have my most listened to stuff locally stored. My wife and I share the same iTunes account (different iCloud accts) and have different music tastes so all her country isn't downloaded on the phone but I can still see it (or I can hide music I haven't downloaded).

With iOS 7 we are also getting iTunes Radio which is free with ads. My yearly iTunes Match subscription removes the ads and I was using that service anyways. Beats paying $10 a month for spotify or google music.

I get what your saying. I think it really comes down to me defending erroneous beliefs and principles, or atleast trying to anyway lol I swore years ago that I would never drink the Apple Kool-Aid. In all honesty Id probably be better off with an Iphone for what I do and need a phone to do. Hell I probably don't even really need an smartphone altogether. Like now I predominately surf the web, make calls, and synch Pandora via Bluetooth to my car if I'm not using the sat rad but that is about it. At the end of the day I need and I just want something that is going to work and work well.

Its kinda silly really since every time I have come up for a contract renewal I pitch a fit so I can keep my unlimited data plan but I never go over my limit regardless...kind of a waste I guess.

Belmont31R
09-12-13, 11:59
Thanks for taking the time to explain that Belmont, even if it does piss me off a little.

Yeah as mentioned it's not a line item on your bill that goes away after your contract expires.

T mobile has gone to the phone price being a line item. I forget what it is but you basically put a down payment on the phone then pay like $20 a month as a line item. It's not under contract per se but if you cancel the service you'd have to make a lump sum payment for whatever you still owe on the phone. That is basically the AT&T early termination fee which is prorated to how many months you have left on the service. They aren't going to let people get a phone with the subsidized pricing then cancel a week later.

And don't fall for their Next program. It's basically a scam where you end up paying full price for a phone you don't get to keep. You have to turn in your old phone then pay a line item monthly fee. So you end up paying the baked in subsidy for a phone you have to give them plus a fee for the new phone you have to pay on for 20 months until you get to keep it.

Belmont31R
09-12-13, 12:26
I get what your saying. I think it really comes down to me defending erroneous beliefs and principles, or atleast trying to anyway lol I swore years ago that I would never drink the Apple Kool-Aid. In all honesty Id probably be better off with an Iphone for what I do and need a phone to do. Hell I probably don't even really need an smartphone altogether. Like now I predominately surf the web, make calls, and synch Pandora via Bluetooth to my car if I'm not using the sat rad but that is about it. At the end of the day I need and I just want something that is going to work and work well.

Its kinda silly really since every time I have come up for a contract renewal I pitch a fit so I can keep my unlimited data plan but I never go over my limit regardless...kind of a waste I guess.

We had the same dilemma because I was with Cingulair before AT&T bought them and was grandfathered with unlimited data. I looked at our usage and it was about $20 a month cheaper to go to Mobile Share with enough data to cover us. We did go over once and I called them up. We were switching internet providers and they gave us credit for the overages.

The problem for the carriers was people using the hotspot for their home internet and straining the networks. I doubt if AT&T keeps letting people get subsidized phones with unlimited data. VZW did that a while ago. Have to pay full price if you want to keep unlimited.

Every phone/os has it's plus and minus. I tried Android and after a few months stopped liking it. Too much of a hassle and at least with Galaxy phones have weird bugs like picture texts being displayed as slide shows. My 2nd choice right now would be a high end Nokia Lumia. It's a very smooth OS that is steadily being updated. Maybe an option to look at.

halmbarte
09-12-13, 13:08
AS far as carriers go: I was with AT&T for 5 years. My wife and I had unlimited plans that AT&T was offering when we signed up.

So, for 4 years my data usage was pretty limited. Then last year I got assigned night shifts for about 6 months. Some of the time work was slow, so I'd watch streaming video on my phone (can't use work internet for this and AT&T didn't allow teathering with unlimited data plans) to pass the time.

AT&T says that I'm using too much data and after 2-3 weeks into the billing cycle they start throttling my bandwitdh, down to around dialup speeds, making it impossible to stream video. This isn't during peak hours, but more like 0100-0400 when work slows down.

I switched to Verizon this year. I have a 4GB data cap but they let me use all of it without choking me down. Verizon's iPhone 5 is also SIM card unlocked, which has been great for the European trip I'm on. Buy a local SIM card at the airport, and bamm! Local phone number pay as you go plan.

H

TAZ
09-12-13, 13:37
If you're on an unlimited data plan with AT&T you should get 5Gb per month at LTE speeds before you get throttled. If you're getting the throttling text before you have reached the 5 Gb call and bitch.

Belmont, how does the streaming music impact your data plan?? Are you maxing your data plan quicker?? I use my phone quite a bit to watch Netflix while I'm doing cardio at the gym so I've gotten to the 5Gb nasty gram from AT&T on occasion.

jpmuscle
09-12-13, 13:40
To note I'm still with Verizon.

Belmont31R
09-12-13, 14:13
If you're on an unlimited data plan with AT&T you should get 5Gb per month at LTE speeds before you get throttled. If you're getting the throttling text before you have reached the 5 Gb call and bitch.

Belmont, how does the streaming music impact your data plan?? Are you maxing your data plan quicker?? I use my phone quite a bit to watch Netflix while I'm doing cardio at the gym so I've gotten to the 5Gb nasty gram from AT&T on occasion.

Does the gym not have wifi? Audio streaming is not that big on data. If you use it for hours a day everyday it'll add up but I've used iheart radio and music streaming and stayed within my data limit. Video will chew it up much quicker.

We are down to 2gb shared and between us we've used 550mb this month. Our billing cycle starts on the 2nd.

I do listen to a lot of podcasts so I can download them on wifi and can watch later without using any data.

Belmont31R
09-12-13, 17:02
For those interested in T Mobile they have a pretty good deal on the new iPhones. This makes the phone cost a line item that goes away once it's paid off.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/12/t-mobile-offering-iphone-5c-for-0-down-iphone-5s-for-99-down/

jonconsiglio
09-12-13, 17:19
I'm running IOS 7 now on my iPhone 5, and in my limited time with it, it's very smooth. New sounds and wallpapers, Siri's voice is more realistic, etc. A lot of good stuff in it.

Another nice feature is they added burst to the camera, so it continues as long as you press the button. It's not 10 frames a second like the 5s, but still very good.

It has a touch of teen bop with the neon colors, but they're not too bad.

Edit - I'll add that we have two MacBook Pro's, a MacBook, two iPads (one is the retina display) a Mac Pro and the iPhone 5. At any time inside of a number of programs/apps, I can stop what I'm doing and pic up where I left off on any of the devices.

I make a change in contacts, it shows on all my computers, iPads and phone. Everything works seamlessly together without a hiccup. I had a number of PC's, including a 3k Sony laptop, and none made it more than six months without a serious cleaning. None of them. They always bogged down and had issues at some point plus I had to stay up on norton.

My oldest Mac is the last of the black MacBooks. It's running as good as when we got it. It's running snow leopard and the only problem is I can't upgrade to Mavericks when it's out like I can all the others.

I really don't mind getting "locked into" Apple. They have always worked no matter what and I've never once had serious issues like I have with every single Windows device.

The way they all work together is really nice and I never have to worry about transferring stuff between devices. It's always just there where I need it.

jonconsiglio
09-12-13, 18:43
Oh, and for some reason, my subscription to SWAT now shows in the newsstand on the iPhone when before it was only available on my iPad.

The clock app now shows the time. Always wondered why they didn't do that before.

Belmont31R
09-13-13, 16:51
Since we kinda got into carrier talk...

Prepaid carrier Straight Talk now offers LTE service to those with compatible AT&T devices http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/13/4727886/straight-talk-prepaid-now-works-with-att-lte-devices

Gutshot John
09-13-13, 16:58
Oh, and for some reason, my subscription to SWAT now shows in the newsstand on the iPhone when before it was only available on my iPad.

The clock app now shows the time. Always wondered why they didn't do that before.

iCloud, your text messages, appointments and contacts should be shared as well.

Belmont31R
09-13-13, 17:26

Just for clarity...

It depends on the service you have which enables the sync. I use Office 365 because we have our own domain and need email hosting since I don't have my own server. We were formerly on Google Apps. So I have most things turned off for iCloud. My calendar, email, contacts, ect are all done through MS and ActiveSync. Regular Gmail service no longer supports push on iOS unless you use their gmail client. For instance my college uses Gmail, and my school email account is fetch through the iOS mail app rather than push.

With regards to the iOS syncing there isn't a better method than what Apple and iOS have. Under the same iTunes account you can push out new apps, music, ect. I have apps turned off because my wife and I use the same iTunes account so we aren't double paying for the same paid apps. But I don't want apps she gets to push onto my phone and vice versa. I can see all the apps in the AppStore app either one of us have downloaded.

FWIW for others, outlook.com now supports IMAP and has ActiveSync behind it. This makes it a technically better email host than Gmail now.

jonconsiglio
09-13-13, 17:27

Yeah, they all are and we're before with iCloud. Safari seems to allow many more tabs open than before.

What was interesting is that while all my other magazines showed in the newsstand on both my iPhone and my iPads, SWAT Magazine would not. Now it does.

Belmont31R
09-13-13, 17:32
Yeah, they all are and we're before with iCloud. Safari seems to allow many more tabs open than before.

What was interesting is that while all my other magazines showed in the newsstand on both my iPhone and my iPads, SWAT Magazine would not. Now it does.

Do Newsstand apps normally always work on both? The only real subscription I've had there was WSJ and it used to be a standalone app. I canceled because of the awful apps and ads even as a paid subscriber. I have a pretty steadfast policy of not having apps with ads in them let alone when I'm paying for the content.

Gutshot John
09-13-13, 17:36
For an alternative cloud-based solution, you can get your own personal "cloud" with a pogoplug without the need to trust apple or google.

Belmont31R
09-13-13, 17:53
For an alternative cloud-based solution, you can get your own personal "cloud" with a pogoplug without the need to trust apple or google.

We have our own WD my book live but the app sucks and it's slow. IMO it will be 5-10 years before there are affordable and usable SSD personal cloud storage. I also am not so sure like what we have is any more secure than 3rd party cloud storage.

jonconsiglio
09-13-13, 17:59
Do Newsstand apps normally always work on both? The only real subscription I've had there was WSJ and it used to be a standalone app. I canceled because of the awful apps and ads even as a paid subscriber. I have a pretty steadfast policy of not having apps with ads in them let alone when I'm paying for the content.

My wife and I do the same thing with iTunes. We have one account, but each have a few different devices and don't want the same apps on all of them. We let out contacts all sync.

The other thing I stopped from syncing was text messages. I really like the fact that I can pick up my MacBook or my iPad and continue a conversation I was having on my phone, but I don't like that all are constantly active. So, I assigned a separate email address to my iPad and MacBook Pro then did the same for my wife separate from the phones and each other.

It's really nice to be able to pick up my iPad or Mac and continue with whatever I was doing on my phone, or vice versa. When Mavericks is released for the Mac, it'll have the newsstand and iBooks added with more apps, so going from the Mac to the iPad to the phone will be less of a change. When I installed the most recent Mountain Lion, I think, I noticed there was a lot more to be done by swiping on the touchpad of the. Macs and scrolling exchanged direction so it was the same as scrolling on the phone or iPad.

As for newsstand, the only magazines I have are SWAT, Recoil and Men's Health. Recoil and men's Health are on both iPads and my phone, but SWAT was not. It was only on the iPad and it wouldn't even show up in a search from the iPhone. When I installed iOS 7 and my stuff downloaded, it showed up. No idea why. I searched from a buddy's phone when I first noticed I couldn't get it, and couldn't get it on his phone either.

jonconsiglio
09-13-13, 18:05

How do I do that?

Gutshot John
09-13-13, 20:17
We have our own WD my book live but the app sucks and it's slow. IMO it will be 5-10 years before there are affordable and usable SSD personal cloud storage. I also am not so sure like what we have is any more secure than 3rd party cloud storage.

Works fine for a variety of my purposes. As for speed, 10/100 MBps should be fast enough for your purposes unless you're pushing a lot of video/audio. Sounds like your system or your ISP that might be a problem, have you run a speed test? Were you running it with a USB/flash stick? or a dedicated harddrive?

You can secure them if you take some time, it's really not hard. I've got three, one of which is running a Tor node. It's as secure as you make it, draws 4 watts of power, and doesn't need a fan so it's dead silent.

As for affordable you're talking $20-25 for the device, $50-100 for a decent hard drive. Doesn't get much more affordable than that. Of course you can step up to Raspberry Pi at $50 a device.

Gutshot John
09-13-13, 20:21
How do I do that?

How tech savvy are you?

https://pogoplug.com/

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Belmont31R
09-13-13, 20:22
Works fine for a variety of my purposes. As for speed, 10/100 MBps should be fast enough for your purposes unless you're pushing HD video/audio. Sounds like your system or your ISP that might be a problem, have you run a speed test?

You can secure them if you take some time, it's really not hard. I've got three, one of which is running a Tor node.

As for affordable you're talking $20-25 for the device, $50-100 for a decent hard drive. Doesn't get much more affordable than that.

The fastest upload we can get here is 5mbps. Works ok on the home network.

I was talking more specifically about home cloud options. I don't trust my WD live anymore than I trust Skydrive. Their WD app is cheezy and I highly doubt it's NSA proof.

Gutshot John
09-13-13, 20:27
The fastest upload we can get here is 5mbps. Works ok on the home network.

I was talking more specifically about home cloud options. I don't trust my WD live anymore than I trust Skydrive. Their WD app is cheezy and I highly doubt it's NSA proof.

Nothing is NSA proof, you can kiss that goodbye, your best option is that enough people adopt these measures and make the marginal cost for the NSA prohibitive.

It's not meant as a home cloud/NAS. If that's your thing, there are a lot of better, albeit more expensive options.

jonconsiglio
09-13-13, 20:43
I'm relatively tech savy. I'll look into it, thanks.

For a home cloud setup, I like the apple Airport Time Capsule. As for security with Google Drive, Dropbox and iCloud, I'm really not too concerned. The most important stuff that I don't want anyone seeing just doesn't get uploaded. Most anything important is done on one specific computer and it's fully protected and important files are encrypted if needed. Still, I just don't really have anything out there I don't want anyone else seeing.

Gutshot John
09-13-13, 20:43
Just use an old computer that you've replaced.

Free NAS Project (http://www.freenas.org/)

Alternatively... Two Viable Open Source NAS (http://www.enterprisestorageforum.com/storage-technology/two-viable-open-source-nas-solutions-1.html)

Gutshot John
09-13-13, 21:24
I'm relatively tech savy. I'll look into it, thanks.

If you remind me when you get one, I can send you my documentation/notes. Mine is better than the factory stuff (or lack thereof).

thopkins22
09-13-13, 21:52
Nothing is NSA proof, you can kiss that goodbye, your best option is that enough people adopt these measures and make the marginal cost for the NSA prohibitive.

Amongst the documents Snowden leaked, was a lot about where their capabilities lie. Most of their actual success stems from things like the Sigint enabling project, which essentially coerce companies to enable their exploitation. They, like the rest of the world simply don't have computers strong enough to brute force their way through 128 bit, never mind 2048 bit RSA keys. It would take them thousands if not millions of years.

Unless they've figured out some math that the rest of us haven't that is. Lots of brain power in private companies around the NSA making billions of dollars so I don't exactly doubt it. Snowden essentially proved that they figured out they don't have to crack anything, if they can get backdoor access to 99% of what's out there anyway.

On the flip side, apparently they can breeze through SSL and VPN.

VIP3R 237
09-14-13, 00:56
I'm going to pass. Apple already collects all info from their products as it is.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/Jason_Prisbrey/IMG_68655151558002_zpscc20a755.jpg

jpmuscle
09-14-13, 02:16
Amongst the documents Snowden leaked, was a lot about where their capabilities lie. Most of their actual success stems from things like the Sigint enabling project, which essentially coerce companies to enable their exploitation. They, like the rest of the world simply don't have computers strong enough to brute force their way through 128 bit, never mind 2048 bit RSA keys. It would take them thousands if not millions of years.

Unless they've figured out some math that the rest of us haven't that is. Lots of brain power in private companies around the NSA making billions of dollars so I don't exactly doubt it. Snowden essentially proved that they figured out they don't have to crack anything, if they can get backdoor access to 99% of what's out there anyway.

On the flip side, apparently they can breeze through SSL and VPN.

Once upon a time a read a good book (meta math maybe?) and in it it discussed the possibilities of I think were described as evolving encryption keys wherein the machine attempting to brute force its way through would never know if it was actually successful because the key codes continually change, or something like that. Has anything like that materialized? Any recommended links where one can read up on that kind of stuff? It's always been an attention grabber of mine.

Gutshot John
09-14-13, 08:53
The math involved with brute forcing keys and algorithms assumes a certain level of computing power. Millions of years can be shortened significantly, but that's not what I'm talking about. It's akin to a fixed fortification, given time any fixed fortification will fall, you're just trying to make it as costly as you can so they find an easier target.

It doesn't matter that they might have a backdoor, if you encrypt your traffic/activity you impose a cost on them, the more people that do this, the harder it becomes for the NSA.

Snowden explicitly made that point.

Gutshot John
09-14-13, 08:55
Once upon a time a read a good book (meta math maybe?) and in it it discussed the possibilities of I think were described as evolving encryption keys wherein the machine attempting to brute force its way through would never know if it was actually successful because the key codes continually change, or something like that. Has anything like that materialized? Any recommended links where one can read up on that kind of stuff? It's always been an attention grabber of mine.

Yep, used all the time, especially in the financial services industry, the problem lies in what they call the "salt" and how close to truly "random" it is.

El Cid
09-14-13, 09:39
Didn't see it mentioned here - why can we still not have an edit/find type of feature for Safari?? It sucks when you get to a web page via a search engine and can't locate what it did because the page is so immense.

jonconsiglio
09-14-13, 10:08
Didn't see it mentioned here - why can we still not have an edit/find type of feature for Safari?? It sucks when you get to a web page via a search engine and can't locate what it did because the page is so immense.

You mean using search, then find that on the loaded page? It's been there for a while, at least all of iOS 6. In iOS 6, type the words in the search field, then scroll all the way down and you'll see "find on page".

In iOS 7 it's the same, you just use the single URL/Search bar.

El Cid
09-14-13, 10:33
You mean using search, then find that on the loaded page? It's been there for a while, at least all of iOS 6. In iOS 6, type the words in the search field, then scroll all the way down and you'll see "find on page".

In iOS 7 it's the same, you just use the single URL/Search bar.

Haha! Sweet! Had no idea - thanks!!

jonconsiglio
09-14-13, 10:41
Haha! Sweet! Had no idea - thanks!!

No problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

thopkins22
09-14-13, 21:50
It doesn't matter that they might have a backdoor, if you encrypt your traffic/activity you impose a cost on them, the more people that do this, the harder it becomes for the NSA.

For sure.

Gutshot John
09-14-13, 22:13
Another issue not discussed...

Nonrepudiation and biometric scanning...potential issue (http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/09/the-unexpected-result-of-fingerprint-authentication-that-you-cant-take-the-fifth/#!)

thopkins22
09-14-13, 22:33
Another issue not discussed...

Nonrepudiation and biometric scanning...potential issue (http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/09/the-unexpected-result-of-fingerprint-authentication-that-you-cant-take-the-fifth/#!)

I'd be interested to know if you can set it up to require both a pin AND fingerprint. I don't envision PINS being removed entirely(I mean as an option)...if for no other reason than an "accessibility" feature for some. The article raised a great point, especially in relation to roadside searches...as I assume they're getting in to my phone's data if it's progressed past that regardless of the security measures.

_Stormin_
09-14-13, 22:44
From what I have seen so far, the phone will be either or (developer for Apple, so I have been running iOS 7 since June) and both will not be an option.

That said, if you feel the need to be concerned, don't turn on TouchID and just keep using a PIN. I'm far more excited about the camera than I am the fingerprint sensor.

jpmuscle
09-14-13, 23:26
I'd be interested to know if you can set it up to require both a pin AND fingerprint. I don't envision PINS being removed entirely(I mean as an option)...if for no other reason than an "accessibility" feature for some. The article raised a great point, especially in relation to roadside searches...as I assume they're getting in to my phone's data if it's progressed past that regardless of the security measures.

And of course should this issue ever be formally adjudicated and if history is any guide the courts will likely side with that of the government and the privacy intrusion will continue.

Just looking how far we've come I cant help but feel mildly uneasy over where we may be in the coming decades.

jonconsiglio
09-15-13, 00:53
I understand the concerns of privacy, but I really don't say anything that I'm overly concerned with others picking up. We share some semi sensitive schedules and routes at work, but if it warrants more concern, it's dealt with in person.

As far as credit cards, at least for me, the ease of use is worth the small risk. If I feel uneasy, I choose not to do it.

When it comes to passwords, GPS, sensitive data, etc... Just because we have a more capable phone does not mean we now need to use all those features.

Belmont31R
09-15-13, 10:56
Exactly. iOS has a great 'Privacy' section under settings where you can turn a lot of stuff off, and it's good to do anyways just to save battery life. You have to be wary of any app on any platform requesting permission to certain personal data. At least on iOS we can turn them off. Like access to contact data, GPS, ect

Even if you have a dumb phone, all your call data can be collected just as easily as any other phone.

Gutshot John
09-15-13, 11:08
I think it's worth noting that this is being marketed as a convenience device, with the implication of security, but it's not really what it is. Fingerprint scanners DO NOT match the entire fingerprint. They digitize the information in order to store it and use it for efficient use, by using several individual points on your fingerprint.

They've used fingerprint devices on laptops for years, but I've yet to see one that collects more than 10 individual points of your fingerprint in order to identify you. Based on that it's statistically probably that there is AT LEAST one person (and likely thousands) out there that will have the identical 10 points as yourself. By comparison REAL biometric scanning devices typically identify 300 points on your fingerprint in order to id you. In short even if the Gov is collecting that information, it's functionally useless to them as a lot of those same points will be identical.

Honestly this is a non-issue, but if it real concern to you, don't use the feature or don't use the phone.

You can also increase your security by using password storing encryption such as SplashID.

Belmont31R
09-15-13, 11:32
I did a bit of work on my 5 yesterday. The bevels in the aluminum can be a little sharp out of the box. I generally don't use a case of any kind so what I did was smooth out the edges with a Japanese water stone. It's like 6000 grit so it also took out some of the little scratches and nicks I have gotten in the last 10 months. The edges are now smooth on the bevel and it's a lot more comfortable to hold. Can't even tell, visually, that I did anything to the phone like that aside from cleaning up the edge a bit.

Gutshot John
09-15-13, 11:35
I did a bit of work on my 5 yesterday. The bevels in the aluminum can be a little sharp out of the box. I generally don't use a case of any kind so what I did was smooth out the edges with a Japanese water stone. It's like 6000 grit so it also took out some of the little scratches and nicks I have gotten in the last 10 months. The edges are now smooth on the bevel and it's a lot more comfortable to hold. Can't even tell, visually, that I did anything to the phone like that aside from cleaning up the edge a bit.

Worthless without pics. :)

_Stormin_
09-15-13, 11:38
Worthless without pics. :)

Agreed

WillBrink
09-15-13, 11:42
Two new iPhones coming out soon also.
The iPhone 5s and 5c.
The iPhone 5c is supposed to retail for $99.

Walmart is under cutting other sellers. But, what really caught my eye was " The iPhone 4S will be sold at 97 cents on contract" per the article below.

If you want/need the latest great i Phone Walmart looks like your best best, BUT, I have the 4S and it's great phone and I have no complaints, so if you don't need/want the latest i Phone but want an i Phone, tough to beat .97 for an 4S!

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/12/4722886/walmart-iphone-5s-5c-launch-day-price-discount

Yes, I'm tempted by the new iPhone offerings and it's probably a goof thing I can't upgrade yet :cool:

Belmont31R
09-15-13, 11:52
lol some of the bigger nicks are still there but it's better than it was and a lot more comfortable.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/16/y9yse2ag.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/16/a6avu7u3.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/16/e7ujyby8.jpg

jonconsiglio
09-15-13, 15:29
Wow, that's great. Never even would have thought if that. I have a lifeproof case, and I drop my phone almost every single day. Out of the case it looks brand new. I like the new lifeproof Nuud case that is still waterproof but doesn't have a screen protector, though you can add one and it's still waterproof. If I upgrade cases, I'll likely get that gorilla glass screen protector.

I heard the 5 gets beat up pretty quick compared to other iPhones and I broke the screen on my iPhone 4, so I'm always weary of going without a case. The damn iPhone 5 is so thin, I don't know how I'd hold into it without the case anyway!

How's everyone's battery life with iOS 7? From a full charge, I went to 17% yesterday with 4 hours of use and about 10 hours of standby. This is with location services on, but half turned off and all but two of the system services turned off. No dynamic wallpapers but parallax on.

Belmont31R
09-15-13, 15:36
Yeah the bevel gets beat up easy. One reason not to get the black version. I'm pretty good about phones (knock on wood). My wife has to use a case. She prob does need the life proof as she's washed several of her phones and is drop prone. Has a Magpul case now. I have one, too, if I want to use it.

Gutshot John
09-15-13, 15:39
To increase battery life, it pays sometimes to "reset" the phone rather than turning on and off. Just press and hold the "home" and "lock" buttons for 5-10 seconds, it will prompt you to turnoff and on.

You won't lose any settings/apps if you do this.

Belmont31R
09-15-13, 15:48
To increase battery life, it pays sometimes to "reset" the phone rather than turning on and off. Just press and hold the "home" and "lock" buttons for 5-10 seconds, it will prompt you to turnoff and on.

You won't lose any settings/apps if you do this.

I thought you did that til the Apple logo shows up. Never got prompted to turn off and on doing that.

Gutshot John
09-15-13, 15:54
I thought you did that til the Apple logo shows up. Never got prompted to turn off and on doing that.

Yes you're right sorry.

jonconsiglio
09-15-13, 15:56
Yeah, you can hold it until the apple logo shows, or swipe it off and turn it back on manually. I tried that before the last full charge. I'm getting about 1/2 to 2/3 the battery life I was before installing iOS 7. Maybe the final release will be a little better. I've read other having this issue as well.

I also have background app updating off in addition to the other things I mentioned above.

The Lifeproof case is great. The new one is even better since it's still waterproof but does not use a screen protector. It creates a seal. I drop mine all the time in the driveway and a couple times have taken it far out in the ocean with the kids to get some pics.

I ordered an elements ronin case, but it ended up being fake, so I've decided to stick with lifeproof. But, the iPhone 5 is pretty slick out of its case. I wish I could use it this way. I have insurance, but it'll still be $200 to replace the phone. So, I'll keep the case. I'll likely get the newer one at some point since the screen feels much better without the plastic cover over it. Then maybe use the $30 gorilla glass screen protector.

Belmont31R
09-15-13, 16:08
That sucks about the battery life. I'm getting at least the same to slightly better vs iOS 6. Especially in sleep mode.

I like the in the white aluminum on the white iPhone. Don't like covering it up and never quite found a case that feels that good. Hate having a giant block of a case. Wife has an Otterbox Defender and it's enormous. She doesn't use it anymore since we got the Magpul ones. Always just end up taking a case off and going naked with the thing.

Sprint is going to introduce their own upgrade program. Screw 'renting' a phone. If I'm going to get charged monthly fees, either baked in or as a line item, the phone better be mine.

Sprint reportedly preparing 'One Up' early upgrade plan for September 20th debut http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/15/4733900/sprint-one-up-early-upgrade-plan

Belmont31R
09-15-13, 16:12
Here is why she needs a case and why the black version sucks. It shows smudges way worse than the white, and if you get any dings they stand out bad. A Sharpie helps but still.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/16/7udy3uta.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/16/u3e8evep.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/16/ge6yrubu.jpg

Gutshot John
09-15-13, 16:28
Lifecase is pretty awesome, my wife has one and I'm considering making the switch.

But for a very slim and effective case, that barely increases the size, and easily slides in and out of a pocket, try the incipio. It's the best case I've ever owned.

http://www.amazon.com/Incipio-Frequency-iPhone-Packaging-Obsidian/dp/B0098FKI3C/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1379280486&sr=8-7&keywords=incipio+iphone+5

jonconsiglio
09-15-13, 19:33
Before we bought the MacBook Pro's, out MacBooks were black. The iPhones have always been black, the first iPad was black, etc. my wife kept saying she wanted a white iPhone and iPad next. So the retina iPad is white and her iPhone 5s will be white. My iPad mini will have to be black though. I really like the white, especially on the iPhone 5, but I just can't buy it. Even when I think I've decided I will, then I ended up saying "black" when they ask. I always use a case though, so it's not as bit of a deal.

There's a Graft case that has a clasp like a watch band on the top right corner. Pretty slick. If I buy a non-Lifeproof case for any reason, it'll be another element case or a Graft.

I may be in a position to choose the color again soon when I smash this god damned phone for using 75% of my battery in 4 hours of use. I don't know what the hell's going on.

tb-av
09-15-13, 20:02
... brute force its way through would never know if it was actually successful because the key codes continually change, or something like that. Has anything like that materialized?

I can't think of the company name now... it's been years. We used to have these credit card sized devices that every 60 seconds generated a new number. When you tried to log into the server, you had to tell it who you were, and then you had 60 seconds to enter that number and get logged in. If you didn't make in time, the number changed and you had to try again.

Can't think of what they were called... SmartCard or something like that. I'm sure there is more powerful stuff now.

mikelowrey
09-15-13, 20:25
I can't think of the company name now... it's been years. We used to have these credit card sized devices that every 60 seconds generated a new number. When you tried to log into the server, you had to tell it who you were, and then you had 60 seconds to enter that number and get logged in. If you didn't make in time, the number changed and you had to try again.

Can't think of what they were called... SmartCard or something like that. I'm sure there is more powerful stuff now.

RSA SecurID?

Palmguy
09-15-13, 20:39
RSA SecurID?

We use that at my company for VPN/external access. Small keychain device with a six digit code that changes every XX seconds.

Gutshot John
09-15-13, 21:25

There are a variety of things that use that. You can set up your google account to do the same thing with "Google Authenticator" which I highly recommend.

Jaysop
09-17-13, 10:14
I thought the new iOS was supposed to come out today?
Or did I miss something...

Belmont31R
09-17-13, 11:20

Today is the 17th...

There should be a new iTunes because you need 11.1 to support iOS 7 devices. That will be either today or early tomorrow.

VIP3R 237
09-17-13, 11:35

The guy who is supposed to hit the upgrade button is too busy playing GTA V.

_Stormin_
09-17-13, 11:39
Updates generally launch at 10AM PST. By generally I mean, virtually every update to iOS ever.

R/Tdrvr
09-17-13, 14:07
Wife has an Otterbox Defender and it's enormous. She doesn't use it anymore since we got the Magpul ones. Always just end up taking a case off and going naked with the thing.

Have her look into the Otterbox Commuter. Its smaller than the Defender. It has a scratch resistant film that goes over the screen and a raised edge on the face so if the phone lands face down, it won't crack the screen. I have a 4S that I've dropped a few times and it was protected nicely. And if she orders from the web site, she can customize the colors.

http://www.otterbox.com/commuter-series/commuter-series,default,pg.html?scid=ppc:17

C-grunt
09-17-13, 14:17
Hopefully the new iOS 7 will be better than 6. When I first got my 4s it was awesome. Never had a single problem with it. Shortly after downloading iOS 6 I started having problems. It freezes up, closes apps randomly send drops calls like its going out of style.

Belmont31R
09-17-13, 15:39
Hopefully the new iOS 7 will be better than 6. When I first got my 4s it was awesome. Never had a single problem with it. Shortly after downloading iOS 6 I started having problems. It freezes up, closes apps randomly send drops calls like its going out of style.

You may have already tried this but do a restore through iTunes but don't restore from a computer backup. You need to create an iCloud backup first, and then when the phone reboots unplug it and get your stuff back from iCloud after going through the menus as if it were a new phone then select the iCloud backup you just made. If you restore from backup on your computer it will just put the same image back on that was causing problems. iCloud just reimports apps, settings and info like texts not an image of the OS.

Might fix it might not. Certain carriers will drop calls more than others because of the way the device gets handed off from tower to tower if you are driving. If you get a dropped call immediately look at the signal strength meter. See if it acts like it reset.

Where I live my issue is that it switches between 4g and lte constantly. Runs the battery down doing that and low bars will cause the phone to use more power. I'm in an apartment complex with firewalls and concrete so the signal has a hard time.

Jaysop
09-17-13, 20:28
Today is the 17th...

There should be a new iTunes because you need 11.1 to support iOS 7 devices. That will be either today or early tomorrow.

Dam, I need to check the calendar more often.

Belmont31R
09-18-13, 10:56
iTunes 11.1 is out. iOS 7 will be about another hour.

thopkins22
09-18-13, 11:53
iTunes 11.1 is out. iOS 7 will be about another hour.

I have 11.0.5 and no updates are found when I check.

Belmont31R
09-18-13, 11:58
iOS 7 is released!

Belmont31R
09-18-13, 12:02
I have 11.0.5 and no updates are found when I check.

Check the website and see if it's 11.1 as the current version.

thopkins22
09-18-13, 12:28
Check the website and see if it's 11.1 as the current version.

Sure enough.

skydivr
09-18-13, 12:32
you have to "check for updates" in iTunes and it will say that 11.1 is available and do you want to download it...Also makes you do a new agreement. But the servers are too busy at the moment to download "not available' message..

Belmont31R
09-18-13, 12:39
If you guys can wait until tonight the downloads will go a lot smoother. They are going to be hammered for the next couple hours.

Tons of app updates here. 5 yesterday and 6 today so far.

Yesterday I got an AirPort Extreme wifi router to replace an aging Netgear unit. :-) Apple has student discounts on them now.

decodeddiesel
09-18-13, 12:45
If you guys can wait until tonight the downloads will go a lot smoother. They are going to be hammered for the next couple hours.

Tons of app updates here. 5 yesterday and 6 today so far.

Yesterday I got an AirPort Extreme wifi router to replace an aging Netgear unit. :-) Apple has student discounts on them now.

I've been very happy with my 2TB Time Capsule. The integration with it and the mac platform is really impressive.

Belmont31R
09-18-13, 12:49
I've been very happy with my 2TB Time Capsule. The integration with it and the mac platform is really impressive.

I use a WD my book live. Same type of thing. Mac will auto detect it and setup a partition on it for backups.

C45P312
09-18-13, 13:22
starting to update my iphone now. Wish me luck lol. Did a full backup before starting. I learned my lesson from last time.

jmp45
09-18-13, 13:28
I'm using 2 3TB WD backup drives for time capsule and other backups. Updating all the macs, pads and iphones now.

Belmont31R
09-18-13, 13:44
The best hidden features in iOS 7

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/18/4741412/the-best-hidden-features-in-ios-7

Belmont31R
09-18-13, 13:47
I'm up to my 8th app update today.

CoryCop25
09-18-13, 14:04
Downloading now.......

kwelz
09-18-13, 15:06
Updated my iphone. Liking it more than I thought I would so far. ipad hasn't been able to update yet.

CoryCop25
09-18-13, 15:23
My phone was updating for about 20 minutes and then I got a message stating update was unavailable. I now have an icon in settings to update. I restart the update and quickly get another update unavailable message. I'll try later this evening when it calms down a bit...

jmp45
09-18-13, 16:25
How do you turn off passcode lock?

Belmont31R
09-18-13, 16:48

Settings>General>Passcode Lock

jmp45
09-18-13, 17:00
Settings>General>Passcode Lock

Been there. Set to 'Immediate' when I select Passcode lock it posts enter passcode. No other options.

thopkins22
09-18-13, 17:04
Been there. Set to 'Immediate' when I select Passcode lock it posts enter passcode. No other options.

Sure there is. Select it, type in your passcode, and you'll see the option up top to turn it off.

jmp45
09-18-13, 17:05
Sure there is. Select it, type in your passcode, and you'll see the option up top to turn it off.

Thanks! I thought it was prompting to change the passcode..

pilotguyo540
09-18-13, 17:37
I still don't have the update option. :confused:

Belmont31R
09-18-13, 17:41
I still don't have the update option. :confused:

Restart everything and try again? lol

Did you update to iTunes 11.1?

Servers are still bogged down so keep trying periodically.

skydivr
09-18-13, 17:45
DONE.

I don't immediately like it - looks waay too Hello Kitty for me....

skydivr
09-18-13, 17:58

Settings, General, Passcode lock. It used to allow for a 4 or 8 hour lock, now it's 5 minutes to never. Stupid...

JBecker 72
09-18-13, 18:14
So far I'm liking it. If anyone doesn't like the color you can invert it.

TAZ
09-18-13, 20:04
So far so good. I'll see what battery life will be like. There are some new setting for location services and background refreshes that people with battery drains need to pay attention to.

About the only annoying thing I have run across is that control center is hit or miss with my Lifeproof Nuud case. Apparently the bezel of the case is so close to the bottom edge of the screen that the swipe doesn't register. No issue without a case though.

Tzed250
09-18-13, 21:09
Done. Strange...

Belmont31R
09-18-13, 23:55
Good overview of new features:

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/18/ios-7-tidbits-imessage-timestamps-app-switching-spotlight-search-and-more/

jonconsiglio
09-19-13, 00:00

Settings > General > Passcode Lock > Turn Passcode Off

Edit - my tapatalk apparently hadn't updated and jmp45's post was the last one made.

thopkins22
09-19-13, 00:14
I can't seem to find the reduce motion option under accessibility...but all in all I like it.

Belmont31R
09-19-13, 00:35
I can't seem to find the reduce motion option under accessibility...but all in all I like it.

What phone do you have? Don't think the parallax works on the 4/4s.

Belmont31R
09-19-13, 00:39
Settings > General > Passcode Lock > Turn Passcode Off

Edit - my tapatalk apparently hadn't updated and jmp45's post was the last one made.

I turned Tapatalk auto update off and just got used to pulling down to release to update. Within a thread just hit the arrow to bring up the menu and hit refresh to update the thread.

I'm using the Pro version.

I don't like auto update or location stuff much. Find it drains the battery.

GeorgiaBoy
09-19-13, 00:46
My biggest pet peeve right now is the new tab layout in safari.

I keep involuntarily tilting the phone forward trying to look at them.

thopkins22
09-19-13, 00:59
What phone do you have? Don't think the parallax works on the 4/4s.

That explains it. It may not be parallax, but there's a lot of motion when I unlock the phone and bring up menus etc.... I'd like it to go away, but I figure I'll get over it.

I'm still using a 4 because I haven't seen a need to get rid of it since it does everything I want it to. The battery is starting to let go and I'm likely to upgrade to a 5c or 5s(still need to figure out the differences beyond the cases.)

Belmont31R
09-19-13, 07:43
That explains it. It may not be parallax, but there's a lot of motion when I unlock the phone and bring up menus etc.... I'd like it to go away, but I figure I'll get over it.

I'm still using a 4 because I haven't seen a need to get rid of it since it does everything I want it to. The battery is starting to let go and I'm likely to upgrade to a 5c or 5s(still need to figure out the differences beyond the cases.)

I would not get the 5c. It's $100 cheaper than the 5s which is not plastic, and 5s has better specs. 5s has the first 64 bit processor in a smartphone so apps will run much faster. Reviewers are saying it's basically way faster than the 5 and not just a slight spec bump.

Unless you like plastic I would get a used 5 or 5s. IMO the 5c should be about $400 carrier unlocked.

rushca01
09-19-13, 10:20
I do not like the new iOS. The all white is annoying.

IMHO they took a step backwards. iOS7 has the feel of a mobile iOS where iOS6 didn't feel like that, to me anyways.

Hmac
09-19-13, 10:36
I upgraded both of my iPads and my iPhone 4s this morning, the phone through iTunes and on-air for the iPads. The update was smooth. The interface is OK. I plan on seeing if I can order an iPhone 5s for the wife tomorrow morning to upgrade her 4.

Belmont31R
09-19-13, 10:42
I upgraded both of my iPads and my iPhone 4s this morning, the phone through iTunes and on-air for the iPads. The update was smooth. The interface is OK. I plan on seeing if I can order an iPhone 5s for the wife tomorrow morning to upgrade her 4.

The Apple Store app should work better than the online store. And you better stay up til midnight PST. Stocks are rumored to be very limited.

Hmac
09-19-13, 10:45
Thanks for the tip. I've always used the Apple Store for these 2AM adventures, but I've heard others say that the app works better.

Belmont31R
09-19-13, 10:48
For those that like Google services Google Wallet is now on iOS.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google-wallet/id575923525?mt=8

polymorpheous
09-19-13, 10:55
So far I'm liking it. If anyone doesn't like the color you can invert it.

This ends up inverting everything.
No bueno.

Renegade
09-19-13, 11:11
DONE.

I don't immediately like it - looks waay too Hello Kitty for me....

I really do not like it and would not have upgraded if I knew. It is much harder to read. The use of small lines for everything instead of color gradient filled boxes is awful.

Belmont31R
09-19-13, 11:15
I really do not like it and would not have upgraded if I knew. It is much harder to read. The use of small lines for everything instead of color gradient filled boxes is awful.

Turn on bold text under accessibility if that helps. You can also increase the font size.

CoryCop25
09-19-13, 11:16
How do you close running apps? (iphone5)
I used to be able to double click the round button, hole down a running app and the x would appear. Now this won't happen and I can see the apps running but can't close them.....

Belmont31R
09-19-13, 11:17
I used to be able to double click the round button, hole down a running app and the x would appear. Now this won't happen and I can see the apps running but can't close them.....

Do the same double tap and swipe the app up. The rectangle preview not the app icon.

Renegade
09-19-13, 11:20

This is a feature I like. Just swipe the app up.

Renegade
09-19-13, 11:20
Turn on bold text under accessibility if that helps. You can also increase the font size.

Helps some, thx.

Renegade
09-19-13, 11:22

Size is not the problem.

For example, calc app no longer has distinct buttons, but lines between numbers. It is like visicalc on a vt100 before graphics was invented.

CoryCop25
09-19-13, 11:23
Do the same double tap and swipe the app up. The rectangle preview not the app icon.

Thanks!

Belmont31R
09-19-13, 11:26
Size is not the problem.

For example, calc app no longer has distinct buttons, but lines between numbers. It is like visicalc on a vt100 before graphics was invented.

Don't see a problem with the calculator. Part of iOS 7 is getting rid of the fake texture and depth to buttons.

It's still possible to go back to 6.1.3/6.1.4 Apple is still 'signing' installs for now.

rushca01
09-19-13, 11:29
Size is not the problem.

Agree 100%, they took a step backwards with this..

Renegade
09-19-13, 11:33
Don't see a problem with the calculator. Part of iOS 7 is getting rid of the fake texture and depth to buttons.

Yeah that sucks imo. I liked that type of UI. I do not want what is essentially a text mode UI.

i just got a VM. It is a giant screen of white. No longer do they use color, boxes, etc to mark areas of the screen.

I cannot find a single thing about the new UI I like. I cannot believe anyone thinks this UI is better.

YMMV.

TAZ
09-19-13, 11:39
Size is not the problem.

Also don't see an issue. You can set text size to almost any size you want, so long as the app supports dynamic sizing it will upsize the text.

As for the missing buttons. I see no need for them. The touch area is now bigger for the particular number/character. No wasted space with defined buttons. Probably should have done the same for the keyboard.

I'm not sold on the new OS, as I'm not a fan of the pastel gay pride color scheme, but it seems functional.

Don't worry though in a couple of months they will release 7.1.1 with rich textured icons and call it a giant leap forward.

Belmont31R
09-19-13, 11:40
Shoulda stayed on iOS 6 then. Not like iOS 7 has been a big secret. lol

Renegade
09-19-13, 11:43
Shoulda stayed on iOS 6 then. Not like iOS 7 has been a big secret. lol

Jobs is gone, stock is down, they had a good run. Time to look for a new platform. The writing is on the wall. If this crap is the future, I am gone next h/w upgrade like millions before me.

Belmont31R
09-19-13, 11:53
Good luck with that.

Renegade
09-19-13, 11:58
Not gonna turn this into a apple bash.

Expressed my opinion on the new UI. YMMV. Time will tell of I am the norm or the exception.

Carry on.

Hmac
09-19-13, 12:04
LOL. Another "death of Apple" prediction.

Renegade
09-19-13, 12:05
One UI feature that would have been nice is skins or themes.

BrigandTwoFour
09-19-13, 12:11
Installed it on my 4s yesterday, been tinkering with it since. I'm a big fan of the new UI, I appreciate the 'cleanliness' of it all.

ra2bach
09-19-13, 12:54
This is a feature I like. Just swipe the app up.

how is this easier than just tapping apps you want to close?

Renegade
09-19-13, 13:00

For me swiping is faster than trying to press a very small area of the screen.

ra2bach
09-19-13, 13:04

verdad. this looks like it's designed by homosexuals for homosexuals.

not that there's anything wrong with homosexuals...

TAZ
09-19-13, 13:05

Faster. No need to hold finger on an app to get the wiggly x thing and then close out. Double tap home button and either switch to the app you want or close them out.

Functionally I like the UI. Have been using it for a day now and aside from the color scheme for the apple icons there recall hasn't been anything to cry foul over. I'll see how battery life goes as that may be annoying if it drops by a lot.

I care more about function that aesthetics. To each his own though. Thankfully there are lots of options now days for smartphones.

_Stormin_
09-19-13, 13:06

Because you can actually see a live view of what you're closing. For some people, the visual reminder of "this is what's happening in this App" is a huge help.

ra2bach
09-19-13, 13:25
Because you can actually see a live view of what you're closing. For some people, the visual reminder of "this is what's happening in this App" is a huge help.

meh. for some maybe but I don't see my running apps que as the place to check content. I just wish there was a way to turn off all running apps together rather than individually.

the old version was hold an icon down till they all start wiggling, then tap to close. you can close every app on your phone in seconds as they scroll into place.

a tap is less of a motion than a swipe. I hope we don't all have arthritis when we're old from all this swiping... ;)

sadmin
09-19-13, 13:32
I realize that Apple isnt Enterprise oriented but in my line of work, the iPhone is the defacto Enterprise oriented smartphone. Android walks the line between some retarded 5" tablet that makes calls and a normal sized phone that comes pre-loaded with MSN entertainment updates or bubbles floating around on the screen with an extra large Beats speaker. I need none of that crap. I dont think they are going anywhere, they are the new Blackberry of sorts...

thopkins22
09-19-13, 13:39
I realize that Apple isnt Enterprise oriented but in my line of work, the iPhone is the defacto Enterprise oriented smartphone. Android walks the line between some retarded 5" tablet that makes calls and a normal sized phone that comes pre-loaded with MSN entertainment updates or bubbles floating around on the screen with an extra large Beats speaker. I need none of that crap. I dont think they are going anywhere, they are the new Blackberry.

This is absolutely true. I work for a well known oilfield service company, and Apple phones, tablets, and laptops outnumber everything else probably four to one if not by even more. Have they broken crazy new ground lately? No, they just set the gold standard for the way things are supposed to work for you.

Hmac
09-19-13, 13:49
I realize that Apple isnt Enterprise oriented but in my line of work, the iPhone is the defacto Enterprise oriented smartphone. Android walks the line between some retarded 5" tablet that makes calls and a normal sized phone that comes pre-loaded with MSN entertainment updates or bubbles floating around on the screen with an extra large Beats speaker. I need none of that crap. I dont think they are going anywhere, they are the new Blackberry of sorts...

It's probably more correct to say that, while Apple doesn't do enterprise software, they do provide excellent support for enterprise developers. There are actually some pretty robust suites of enterprise tools for deploying and managing iOS devices. Where I work, they were huge Blackberry fans because of the control that BES gave them. They were pissed when it became apparent that the iPhone was what people wanted, and they were really cornered when it became apparent the mobile devices were the future in our business and it was going to be the iPad. They struggled, tried to deploy a variety of tablets in an effort to stay out of iOS but the various platforms kept collapsing out from under them as each brand imploded. They finally had to accept the inevitable.

_Stormin_
09-19-13, 13:50
And that's where they needed to be. You have the wild west with Android phones (companies are far more worried about malware than most consumers) and then there are the Windows phones, all six of them. Then you have a phone that everyone can figure out with tremendous market support and a great system for enterprise application development, deployment, and support.

Apple is the new BBerry in the business world, and if they can remain consumer relevant while growing the enterprise market, they will continue to succeed. It's not going to be the dramatic revolution that the iPhone, 3G were. It's going to be incremental growth, like the 4 and 5 have been. Honestly, everyone expecting "more" from the 5s, an incremental upgrade mid cycle, was kinda foolish.

Belmont31R
09-19-13, 14:24
meh. for some maybe but I don't see my running apps que as the place to check content. I just wish there was a way to turn off all running apps together rather than individually.

the old version was hold an icon down till they all start wiggling, then tap to close. you can close every app on your phone in seconds as they scroll into place.

a tap is less of a motion than a swipe. I hope we don't all have arthritis when we're old from all this swiping... ;)

There's no reason to do that. The best thing to do is turn off location and background refreshing. Apps stored in RAM do not use any appreciable power, and when you go to use the app again the entire thing has to boot.

Do you go through your laptop and end every process that you aren't using at that moment?

ra2bach
09-19-13, 14:48
There's no reason to do that. The best thing to do is turn off location and background refreshing. Apps stored in RAM do not use any appreciable power, and when you go to use the app again the entire thing has to boot.

Do you go through your laptop and end every process that you aren't using at that moment?

OK I did that. wasn't sure if it would work as I always turned off all running apps before so would not drain battery. is this a new thing?

Belmont31R
09-19-13, 15:06
OK I did that. wasn't sure if it would work as I always turned off all running apps before so would not drain battery. is this a new thing?

RAM is just memory that is rapidly accessed. Background apps are stored in RAM so you don't have to go through the whole boot loading process every time you open an app. The RAM is going to have power running to it whether there's stored apps or not.

What consumes power is background app refreshes where it updates as if the app was open, and location data which uses gps, wifi, and cell towers to triangulate your location.

I have all location data turned off besides maps, compass, find my iPhone and some system services. I have all background refreshing off.

Hmac
09-19-13, 15:12
some apps will continue to run in the background. For example, those that use GPS coordinates such as navigation software. Otherwise, it's true that just being open in the background doesn't take any power for most, but not all, apps.

eta: never mind...Belmont nailed it.

TAZ
09-19-13, 15:14

The ability to choose whether an app updates in the background or not is new. I believe that the default was to not update in the background.

Belmont31R
09-19-13, 15:18
The ability to choose whether an app updates in the background or not is new. I believe that the default was to not update in the background.

Some apps had weird background updating. On Skype the option is not within the app but in the main settings app menu under Skype. It says something like choose when to go offline. If you don't set it to immediately it will continue running. Once apps are updated to iOS 7 they should show up under background refresh instead of being a mix.

ra2bach
09-19-13, 16:05

did not know that. I have the 4s and unless I closed all my open apps the battery would drain in a few hours.

gonna see how long this lasts with the upgrade...

Belmont31R
09-19-13, 16:31
did not know that. I have the 4s and unless I closed all my open apps the battery would drain in a few hours.

gonna see how long this lasts with the upgrade...

RAM won't do that by itself. I get 6 1/2 to 8 1/4 hrs per full charge depending on being on wifi or not or browser/video usage. That's actual on time not stand by.

jonconsiglio
09-19-13, 17:11
I've been using iOS 7 for a little while before it's release and it's just overall more smooth for me.

An article I was reading noted that with every iPhone and surely with iOS 7, we've had and will get those that love it, those that don't really care and those that will claim that this is the death of Apple. I can't believe someone actually said that here, but sure enough!

Now, I prefer the new design, I just would prefer it to not be so bubblegum looking. A dark background helps a bit though. The only other thing if like to see is an option to close all apps at once. Still, no big deal.

I have three iPads sitting here, one is an original for the kids. I opened we ten apps on the iPad 1 and the retina display, and it took about twice as long on the original iPad to close ten apps. I had to hold down and wait for them to wiggle, then I had to click one and wait for the line to move, etc. Also, twice I had to two a second time.

For me it's about usability more that how it looks, though I do like nice looking things. Again for me, the iPhone is the perfect size for one hand, everything is exactly where it should be, works with ease, never need to reboot for lag, see lesson integrates with our 7 other Apple devices and does exactly what I need without me having to think it through first. Works for me.

Also, at work we've found it to be secure enough to share sensitive information about scheduling and travel. Apparently airdrop is very secure as well but I've only used it here and hope to check it out.

"They had a good run", haha! So did Chevy.

Renegade
09-19-13, 17:28
"They had a good run", haha! So did Chevy.

Chevy went bankrupt and needed a Govt Bailout to continue operations.

I did not mean to imply Apple was going bankrupt, "They had a good run" meant the continued stagnation/decline in market share. As an admitted Apple fanboi I am disappoint.

Over the last two years, its fluctuated between 13% and 22%, depending on when the newest model of the iPhone is coming out, according to Gartner.

Android, meanwhile, has skyrocketed, and now has ~75% of the market.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/chart-of-the-day-the-iphones-market-share-is-dead-in-the-water-2013-5#ixzz2fNdgirSO

http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/5192a95969bedd702200000a-620-/sai-cotd-051413.jpg

Belmont31R
09-19-13, 17:36
Chevy went bankrupt and needed a Govt Bailout to continue operations.

I did not mean to imply Apple was going bankrupt, "They had a good run" meant the continued stagnation/decline in market share. As an admitted Apple fanboi I am disappoint.

Over the last two years, its fluctuated between 13% and 22%, depending on when the newest model of the iPhone is coming out, according to Gartner.

Android, meanwhile, has skyrocketed, and now has ~75% of the market.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/chart-of-the-day-the-iphones-market-share-is-dead-in-the-water-2013-5#ixzz2fNdgirSO

http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/5192a95969bedd702200000a-620-/sai-cotd-051413.jpg

Apple doesn't make cheap phones the 3rd world uses. I couldn't care less what they use, and don't see how it's meaningful. I also don't care what sub par phones come in a blister pack at Walmart that run an OS no one cares about or is years old.

Renegade
09-19-13, 17:45
Apple doesn't make cheap phones the 3rd world uses. I couldn't care less what they use, and don't see how it's meaningful. I also don't care what sub par phones come in a blister pack at Walmart that run an OS no one cares about or is years old.

Yeah, that is what folks at Oki, Nokia, Motorola, RIM, etc, said too.

_Stormin_
09-19-13, 17:51

Actually, Motorola and Nokia owed much of their explosive growth because of their sales at the low end of the market. Either way, thread is getting way off topic.

Belmont31R
09-19-13, 17:56

Really? Nokia has a $99 off contract phone and Motorola has blister pack phones. Their Android phones have always been 2nd class. Motoblur? RIM is going out of business because they never even tried to keep pace with the market. What OS was Nokia running 3 years ago? Symbian and MeeGo? I bet most people have never heard of them.

I don't see how Apple relates to them at all.

Renegade
09-19-13, 17:58
Actually, Motorola and Nokia owed much of their explosive growth because of their sales at the low end of the market. Either way, thread is getting way off topic.

An Oki 900 was my first phone. It was small, feature rich and fit in my pocket. I laughed at folks carrying around those behmoth DynaTacs. Oki did not last long. Apple is the only phone I have now owned more than 2 gens of. It is an unforgiving market.

Renegade
09-19-13, 18:00
Really? Nokia has a $99 off contract phone and Motorola has blister pack phones. Their Android phones have always been 2nd class. Motoblur? RIM is going out of business because they never even tried to keep pace with the market. What OS was Nokia running 3 years ago? Symbian and MeeGo? I bet most people have never heard of them.

I don't see how Apple relates to them at all.

You must be new to cell phones. Oki was the dominant leader back in 80s and early 90s. The Oki 900 was the iPhone of the day. Nokia, Motorola, RIM also owned significant market share. Now as you point out, they are [all] irrelevant.

We are getting off track so I will stop again.

C-grunt
09-19-13, 18:03
Wife and I uploaded iOS 7 yesterday. Now we are both getting all of each other's text messages. Anyone know what's going on?

Belmont31R
09-19-13, 18:07
Wife and I uploaded iOS 7 yesterday. Now we are both getting all of each other's text messages. Anyone know what's going on?

Go to messages under settings and turn iMessages off then back on again. It should activate. Make sure the phone number is correct.

Belmont31R
09-19-13, 18:11
You must be new to cell phones. Oki was the dominant leader back in 80s and early 90s. The Oki 900 was the iPhone of the day. Nokia, Motorola, RIM also owned significant market share. Now as you point out, they are [all] irrelevant.

We are getting off track so I will stop again.

I will worry about that when someone comes out with something ground breaking that can get significant market share in 1st world countries, and if that happens so be it. I fail to see how Apple is on the way out because a few people don't like the new UI. Gimmicky air jestures and phones for the 3rd world aren't going to be the downfall of Apple.

jonconsiglio
09-19-13, 18:44
Go to messages under settings and turn iMessages off then back on again. It should activate. Make sure the phone number is correct.

What's probably happening is when they updated and entered their apple ID's, the same email addresses and phone numbers were used for both phones.

Under iMessages, you'll see a list of numbers and email addresses where you're receiving your messages. Make sure that you deactivate any number or email you don't want coming to your phone or her's.

With out iPads and Macs, I removed the numbers and left one email address for each so no two devices get the same messages. If I was the only user it would be alright but that's not the case. I can always turn other email addresses or my number on at any time on any device.

Belmont31R
09-19-13, 19:26
Another helpful thing to do is share the same iCloud account for apps, music and movies but have a different account under the iCloud setting for backups and file syncing. You don't have to use the same iCloud account for that but can share one for iTunes. This also helps with backups so you each have 5gb of iCloud storage.

jonconsiglio
09-19-13, 19:32
Another helpful thing to do is share the same iCloud account for apps, music and movies but have a different account under the iCloud setting for backups and file syncing. You don't have to use the same iCloud account for that but can share one for iTunes. This also helps with backups so you each have 5gb of iCloud storage.

Good point. We just share for everything but that makes sense. That would be good for iMessages too.

Belmont31R
09-20-13, 07:58
Ordered my 5s. Can't wait.

Up to a 7-10 day wait now on their site but not bad. Seems like they allocated a good number of phones to the US.

decodeddiesel
09-20-13, 08:34
Ordered my 5s. Can't wait.

Up to a 7-10 day wait now on their site but not bad. Seems like they allocated a good number of phones to the US.

Well next Friday (payday) I've got $200 set aside for a 5s. I had been really struggling over what phone to replace my 3GS relic with, and I figure I might as well get whatever is at the top of the pile so I can go another 2-3 years without upgrading.

jonconsiglio
09-20-13, 11:54
Looks like they expect a comparable buying frenzy as when the iPhone 5 was released with a very positive outlook for APPL stock.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout/apple-iphone-sales-golden-144242679.html

The more I read about the 5S, the more I'd like one, but I'm just not able to upgrade until a couple months after the iPhone 6 release (if it comes around the time as other iPhone releases).

The fingerprint reader seems like a nice convenience the more I read about it. Hopefully the iPads will have this as well. I put off buying the mini until it has a retina display, so hopefully the new ipad releases next month or so will include the fingerprint reader.

iCloud is supposed to have a very good autofill feature that's very secure when it comes to log ins and card info. They removed it from the GM iOS 7 release, but it's expected back in a few weeks.

All in all, I'm very pleased with iOS 7. The iPads look great also, and it's just a smoother, more seamless experience.

jpmuscle
09-20-13, 13:25
All of these positive reviews is not helping my stick with droid and go for the Samsung S4 or jump ship to the 5s.

dang dang dang.....

Belmont31R
09-20-13, 13:30
All of these positive reviews is not helping my stick with droid and go for the Samsung S4 or jump ship to the 5s.

dang dang dang.....

If you do go S4 they are supposed to be doing a refresh with the Snapdragon 800 versus the current 600.

kwelz
09-20-13, 13:34

dang dang dang.....

It is hard to argue against the Galaxy S4.

It is also hard to argue against the iPhone 5/5s

I love both phones. It really comes down to which platform you are more tied to. I use an iphone as my main phone because it ties in well with all my other devices. iOS7 fixed most of my issues with the OS and I am hoping that the next iphone revision will have a larger screen and a few more features.

jpmuscle
09-20-13, 13:41
If you do go S4 they are supposed to be doing a refresh with the Snapdragon 800 versus the current 600.

Any idea when that is going to be released? I may hold off then.

CoryCop25
09-20-13, 14:01
Not to derail any more but I went from an HTC EVO to an iPhone and it was a much easier transition than expected. I thought the Android was brutally simple but the iPhone is even easier to use. I was over thinking everything when I started to use the iPhone.
If I have to say anything negative about the iPhone 5 is that the battery does not last as long as the 4s and the new charging cables are still hard to come by.

Belmont31R
09-20-13, 14:12
Not to derail any more but I went from an HTC EVO to an iPhone and it was a much easier transition than expected. I thought the Android was brutally simple but the iPhone is even easier to use. I was over thinking everything when I started to use the iPhone.
If I have to say anything negative about the iPhone 5 is that the battery does not last as long as the 4s and the new charging cables are still hard to come by.

? Lightning cables are all over the place. Even Home Depot has 3rd party cables.

Belmont31R
09-20-13, 14:13
Any idea when that is going to be released? I may hold off then.

Already been done in Korea. Don't have an exact date on the US refresh.

I would look at the Nexus 5 when it releases or the Google Play edition S4. Screw carrier update cycles.

CoryCop25
09-20-13, 14:20
? Lightning cables are all over the place. Even Home Depot has 3rd party cables.

Never thought to look there. I found a cable from a third party that didn't work for s#&t. I think I just need to hit up the Apple store.

On another note, since updating to iOS7, my MAIL app has been acting up. I have 5 email addresses loaded in and it seems that every time I get an email, read it, reply to it or delete it, I close the app and if I re open it or open it after receiving an email, it will open up in my Gmail account. Any other time before downloading iOS7, it would open and show all mailboxes. Now, I have to open mail, back out of the Gmail account and then view my mailboxes. My Gmail account is my least used account so I don't really know what's going on here.

rushca01
09-20-13, 14:27
Never thought to look there. I found a cable from a third party that didn't work for s#&t. I think I just need to hit up the Apple store.

On another note, since updating to iOS7, my MAIL app has been acting up. I have 5 email addresses loaded in and it seems that every time I get an email, read it, reply to it or delete it, I close the app and if I re open it or open it after receiving an email, it will open up in my Gmail account. Any other time before downloading iOS7, it would open and show all mailboxes. Now, I have to open mail, back out of the Gmail account and then view my mailboxes. My Gmail account is my least used account so I don't really know what's going on here.

Same problem with mail.

Belmont31R
09-20-13, 15:25

Apple store is the best bet. I've exchanged a couple that stopped working correctly due to a 3rd party battery charger. Gave me new ones no problems. It's just easier for me to go to the Apple store about 15 minutes away than deal with anyone else.

ra2bach
09-20-13, 17:19
simple question, maybe I missed it, sorry if I did but I've read that Notification Center, the thing that you swipe down to access, is smei-transparent. mine is just black. is this something I can change?

Belmont31R
09-20-13, 17:26
simple question, maybe I missed it, sorry if I did but I've read that Notification Center, the thing that you swipe down to access, is smei-transparent. mine is just black. is this something I can change?

Settings general accessibility increase contrast. If it's on turn it off. If off turn on then off.

ra2bach
09-20-13, 17:28
Settings general accessibility increase contrast. If it's on turn it off. If off turn on then off.

duuuuude...

Belmont31R
09-20-13, 18:22
Worked? lol

TED has a pretty cool new app. You can download talks to view later and has a good interface.

halmbarte
09-20-13, 19:48

I would look at the Nexus 5 when it releases or the Google Play edition S4. Screw carrier lack of update cycles.

FYP.

If I had to go Android I'd get a version that the carriers don't crap all over.

I think one of the best things Apple ever did with the iPhone was refusing to let the carriers shit all over the OS.

H

The Dumb Gun Collector
09-20-13, 19:52
Just picked up a 5s. The camera is freaking amazing. Each time one comes out I think the camera is as good as it can get. Their is absolutely no lag. You can take very high quality pictures as fast as you can push the button.

jpmuscle
09-20-13, 20:02

I would look at the Nexus 5 when it releases or the Google Play edition S4. Screw carrier update cycles.

gahhh this is just getting more and more difficult lol

Hmac
09-20-13, 20:02
Just ordered a 5s for my wife. Same old ritual...set the alarm for 1:55 AM, refresh refresh refresh, Apple Store up. Done by 2:10 and back to sleep. Got it done soon enough that I got the 1-3 day ship date. Apparently this iPhone sold more and faster than the 5, which was more and faster than the 4s...going all the way on back. What a phenomenon.

ggammell
09-20-13, 20:39
Just picked up a 5s. The camera is freaking amazing. Each time one comes out I think the camera is as good as it can get. Their is absolutely no lag. You can take very high quality pictures as fast as you can push the button.

Lag time improvement I think is iOS wide. My 4s changed as did my wife's 5. Don't think it's the phone itself

_Stormin_
09-20-13, 21:05
No, I was using the 5s today (while ordering my new one, second guy at the store and they had only grey)…

I have iOS7 on my iPhone 5 and I can tell you, the camera on the "s" model is truly amazing. I would probably be happy with JUST the camera upgrade.

Belmont31R
09-20-13, 21:27
Yahoo has a sense of humor.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/21/hasutu7a.jpg

_Stormin_
09-20-13, 22:15
Everyone knows Gold Is Best…

BEST. BEST. BEST. (http://youtu.be/n7-RetY7fGo)

So shocked there was no gold...

Renegade
09-20-13, 23:54
Here is another gem from the Apple Genius' I discovered on a flight tonight. Fired up iPad to watch a movie, the genius' decided to delete filenames from the display of videos. I have 50 videos, no idea which is which without starting it.

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz314/Umbrarian/Computers/photo_zpsd1e4a3cd.png (http://s839.photobucket.com/user/Umbrarian/media/Computers/photo_zpsd1e4a3cd.png.html)

Here is a geek tip though. They are sorted alphabetically. So you can use a binary search and find a video by name in log(n) time. Of course if you do not know the name and are just perusing you are SOL.

_Stormin_
09-21-13, 00:42
That's odd... Mine does not have that issue.

Belmont31R
09-21-13, 07:49
Mine doesn't have the titles listed but shows the cover art which has the title. You can now stream movies from iCloud and Airplay them to an ATV in the Videos app. Or just stream them to the phone/iPad without storing them locally.

Are those pirated or ripped from a disc?

Renegade
09-21-13, 08:55
Mine doesn't have the titles listed but shows the cover art which has the title. You can now stream movies from iCloud and Airplay them to an ATV in the Videos app. Or just stream them to the phone/iPad without storing them locally.

Are those pirated or ripped from a disc?

That is the cover art. They just dropped the time/title. Time/Titles were there IOS6. That is a mixture of stuff D/L from iStore or made from home video using iMovie.

Belmont31R
09-21-13, 09:02
That's not cover art. That's just the first frame in the video.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/21/mu5age2y.jpg

Renegade
09-21-13, 09:08
Those shown above must be my home iMovies stuff. They used to have the filename and length under the frame grab.

It seems your frame grab is from an iPhone, my was an iPad. I have noticed some differences between the way the same app works in iPhone & iPad beyond the obvious H/W differences.

Belmont31R
09-21-13, 09:15
Those shown above must be my home iMovies stuff. They used to have the filename and length under the frame grab.

It seems your frame grab is from an iPhone, my was an iPad. I have noticed some differences between the way the same app works in iPhone & iPad beyond the obvious H/W differences.

If you go into iTunes can you load a cover art image? You could make one in paint/PS and use that if you can. I don't have a computer with iTunes to check in front of me right now. I know music you can add your own art.

ra2bach
09-21-13, 09:21

well don't get around someone with the new Samsung Galaxy S4 then. my son needed a new phone that had international capability for a trip to S. Africa and we got him this. the camera was so good he left his real camera home...

Belmont31R
09-21-13, 09:29
There is more to a camera than just MP count. But yes the S4 has a good camera. Far better than the HTC One or MotoX. iPhones tend to have really good color reproduction and I love the photos app and photo stream compared to Android...more specifically TouchWiz. I don't think Android has a decent native way to have shared streams like that.

Renegade
09-21-13, 09:38
If you go into iTunes can you load a cover art image? You could make one in paint/PS and use that if you can. I don't have a computer with iTunes to check in front of me right now. I know music you can add your own art.

The point is someone thought deleting filenames and run lengths on the home screen of the Videos App was an improvement. I do not consider this an improvement in the user experience from IOS6. But I am not going to complain, just pointing it out the difference from IOS6, it is what it is.

Belmont31R
09-21-13, 09:46
If you click on it all that shows up and more.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/21/a5y4ezyg.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/21/qu8a4umu.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/21/uqy2eryr.jpg

TV Shows

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/21/6ymeqyte.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/21/urepevap.jpg

Music Videos

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/21/satube8e.jpg

Belmont31R
09-21-13, 11:14
BBM for iOS will be out today. I'll post a direct link once it hits the US AppStore. Already released in Asia.

fourXfour
09-21-13, 11:46
My 4S has taken the update well. No issues at all. Surprisingly my iPad is having glitches now. GMail is crashing and some apps won't go into landscape.

halmbarte
09-21-13, 11:48
well don't get around someone with the new Samsung Galaxy S4 then. my son needed a new phone that had international capability for a trip to S. Africa and we got him this. the camera was so good he left his real camera home...

Did he get a unlocked phone? Even if it's GSM if it's SIM locked he won't be able to use it overseas.

I just got back from Europe. I took my Verizon iPhone 5 (unlocked on day one by Verizon with no hacks required) and bought a SIM card at the Amsterdam airport when I arrived. 38 Euro and 5 minutes later, I had a working local phone number on a pay as you go plan with data.

Verizon are a bunch of humorless dicks who would whore their grandmothers for a 0.02% rise in stock price, but in this one area, they came though.

H

Belmont31R
09-21-13, 12:08
Did he get a unlocked phone? Even if it's GSM if it's SIM locked he won't be able to use it overseas.

I just got back from Europe. I took my Verizon iPhone 5 (unlocked on day one by Verizon with no hacks required) and bought a SIM card at the Amsterdam airport when I arrived. 38 Euro and 5 minutes later, I had a working local phone number on a pay as you go plan with data.

Verizon are a bunch of humorless dicks who would whore their grandmothers for a 0.02% rise in stock price, but in this one area, they came though.

H

Verizon had to agree to sell unlocked phones in a bandwidth deal they signed for 700mhz. It's not something they did for no reason.

At any rate there is ONE model of 5s for T Mobile, Verizon, and AT&T. This will be way better for travelers.

decodeddiesel
09-21-13, 12:28
So it looks like if I get a 5S through AT&T's website I have to pay a $36 "activation fee" even though I have been a customer for 3.5 years and have been off contract for 18 months. :mad:

That pisses me off.

Belmont31R
09-21-13, 12:45
So it looks like if I get a 5S through AT&T's website I have to pay a $36 "activation fee" even though I have been a customer for 3.5 years and have been off contract for 18 months. :mad:

That pisses me off.

Our contract is through my wife's old job and we get a 22% service discount with free activations. I'd call and tell them you'd like to get a new phone with a contract but want the activation fee waived. If they say no call back and talk to someone else. Every time I call I get what I want. We were between home internet and ran up $160 in data overages. I got them to remove them.

halmbarte
09-21-13, 14:30

That pisses me off.

Only if you're a chump.

Go to the store. If they don't want to deal, walk out. You'll find someone pretty quickly that realizes $2000 over a two year contract is worth giving up $36 up front.

BTW, AT&T isn't doing the unlocked thing. If that's important.

H

Renegade
09-21-13, 15:09
If you click on it all that shows up and more.

Yeah that my point. Now I have to click on it just to see the title, before you didn't. When you have a lot of videos and are looking for a specific one, that is a lot of clicks. Before you could see filename and click the correct one on the first try.

Belmont31R
09-21-13, 15:13
You can add cover art to videos in iTunes. That would fix your 'problem'.

halmbarte
09-21-13, 15:40
Yeah that my point. Now I have to click on it just to see the title, before you didn't. When you have a lot of videos and are looking for a specific one, that is a lot of clicks. Before you could see filename and click the correct one on the first try.

Probably be a bug fix for that soon.

You did download a new OS on the first day it was released.

Now, I did load iOS7 on my iPad. But that's not a critical device whose uses I can't duplicate with my phone and laptop.

My phone will get 7 after the first bug fix comes out.

H

jonconsiglio
09-21-13, 15:57

In iTunes, he can change the video type to home movie and it will show the titles.

Edit - wait, this might not be the solution. I googled it and someone said it didn't work after changing all their videos. Maybe try a couple to see. - Edit

I haven't found any bugs or issues that weren't app related and solved with an update. My iPhone 5 and both my iPad 3 and retina are smoother than before.

Renegade
09-21-13, 17:03

No it is not my problem as I am not responsible removing usability functionality that existed for the first 6 IOS releases.

Renegade
09-21-13, 17:05
Probably be a bug fix for that soon.

I checked the Apple Dev Forum and the consensus was it is a bug. A bug report was submitted a few weeks ago but the RC was already finalized.

jonconsiglio
09-21-13, 17:08
Cool little trick.... In the multitasking view where you close apps, you can close all three that are visible at a time by using three fingers and swiping up. That helps speed things up with multiple open apps.

Renegade
09-21-13, 17:17
Well it is fixed.

This week I installed ios7 on my iPad & iPhone over wifi directly. As mentioned I was traveling and when I got home I I d/l the latest iTunes and synced my iPad/iphone to my macpro and now all filenames and times are showing up. They are no longer listed as movies but as home videos.

Belmont31R
09-21-13, 17:20
No it is not my problem as I am not responsible removing usability functionality that existed for the first 6 IOS releases.

Seems you just want to have something to whine about. Could have gone back to iOS 6 like was suggested. You chose to download and install the X.0.0 version of new software. Of course there are going to be bugs.

Eta: posted while I was typing. Glad you fixed it.

Renegade
09-21-13, 17:49
Seems you just want to have something to whine about.

No just sharing my experiences for others. This was the first iOS release I did not install during the beta period so i am a little behind the curve this time. Normally i would have already discovered / resolved most of these things before release. If you want to see whining, go over to Mac rumors....

ggammell
09-21-13, 18:31
I've found some really good info in this thread and the links therein. Ios7 was a real disappointment at first but a few settings changed and it's ry growing on me.

I got rid of the moving background, emboldened the text and hated the text message names to full names from short. The dark background that consiglio suggested helped the toylike appearance significantly.

Hey stickman, fire up some dark background photos!