PDA

View Full Version : Fixed Front Sight or Flat Top?

lowbar
09-11-13, 21:10
Wondering what people's opinion's are on this. Do you prefer a fixed A2 style front sight or do you prefer a flat top free float style? Why or why not?

Personally I like having the fixed front post. Just in case my optic becomes inop, I like having a permanent front sight that I know is zeroed and has not moved or shifted.

Zane1844
09-11-13, 21:11
I am liking the FSB over rail mounted front sight. Though the one I do have is still fixed, not flip up.

ag08
09-11-13, 21:25
Right now I go for a fixed Daniel Defense front sight as it saves a couple ounces over a front sight base.

I also figure that if there is enough force imparted to my top-o-the-line free float tube to cause it to shift drastically my barrel is probably going to be bent as well or the gun will be inoperable.

SilverBullet432
09-11-13, 21:32
Flat top upper.

edit. i dont like the look of the fsb.

HeliPilot
09-11-13, 21:36
Free float rail mounted. IMO it creates a cleaner look with a slight gain in accuracy.

_Stormin_
09-11-13, 21:41
I have both. Each rifle serves a purpose.

My HD rifle is, and will probably always be, fixed front sight post. Just there in case things are going really wrong. I think Aimpoint makes a great and reliable optic, but I won't bet my life solely on it. It has a battery and can fail at any time. My flat top has BUIS that fold down out of the way of the optic. It's a great setup for CMP shoots, but I wouldn't reach for it first if I'm worried about CQB.

3ACR_Scout
09-12-13, 07:55
I look at it this way: the fixed front sight doesn't bother me / interfere with my sight picture when using a T-1, so I'm fine with it. That means one less thing to deploy if the T-1 goes down. However, I'll admit that I need to spend more time training with the T-1 to decide if I'm really comfortable with the setup.

When I had an ACOG on my issue M4, the blurry front sight in the sight picture sometimes bothered me, so in that case, I might prefer a fold-down front sight, but I don't have an ACOG at home.

Dave

sammage
09-12-13, 08:04
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=61948
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=48536
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=66748

chadb
09-12-13, 08:53
All of my rifles do and more than likely will always have the A2 front sight.

ColtSeavers
09-12-13, 09:46
I used to prefer the fixed/pinned A2 fsb for ultimate reliability and familiarity but having gotten and using an ARMS #41BL Silhouette folding fsb I now much prefer it over the fixed fsb. No clutter in my sight picure, same familiar a2 triangle when deployed, easier to remove if desired and it's been rock solid.

Quick Draw
09-12-13, 10:01
I prefer the flat top receiver with optic and free float tube.

Others offer valid reasons for preferring the FSP A2 and to each his own.

Tooth & Nail
09-12-13, 10:22
I prefer a free floated tube with a flip up front sight. I like the increased flexibility for hand placement the extended length of the tube provides, and I like the uncluttered sight picture. Ultimately I don't think it's as robust as a FSB, but I believe it's completely adequate and a far better match to my actual use.

ECain18
09-12-13, 10:26
Agreed I prefer a free floating flat top with flip up sights. They don't get in the way with an optic but are there when you need them. I also do like the look better as well

Stickman
09-12-13, 10:39
http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%208/STCK9642-1200-Stick.jpg

Doc Safari
09-12-13, 10:46
When using an RDS I prefer having the fixed front sight post as it provides a "reference" point when trying to center the dot in the sight. I always try to put the dot right over the front sight post. I know this is probably not necessary, but I like that consistency.

At some point I'll want to mount a variable optic, and in that instance I'll probably seek out an upper with no sights.

Zane1844
09-12-13, 11:04
FWIW, On 1.5x (the true power of the VX-R Patrol) my front sight still does not bother me.

Miami_JBT
09-12-13, 12:32
I'm old-school o a degree and prefera fixed FSB verus a folding front sight. At the moment my SBR is sporting a folding Young Manufacturing folding front sight and it is interesting but it is looking like I'll go back to a fixed FSB on it.

Abraham
09-12-13, 14:37
I have a fixed FSB that I'm considering removing as I can no longer use iron sights and it's slightly in the way of my optic.

thopkins22
09-12-13, 15:33
Free float rail mounted. IMO it creates a cleaner look with a slight gain in accuracy.

This doesn't make sense. By that I mean no it doesn't give you a gain in accuracy. With modern rails it may not matter that much, but you want to aim the barrel not the rail. The rail being free floated from the barrel means that it's the part that will shift from tight slings/barricades and whatnot.