PDA

View Full Version : Attention all Sailors and Marines!

Miami_JBT
09-12-13, 14:16
Meet your new Undersecretary of the Navy;

http://cmsimg.navytimes.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=M6&Date=20120330&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=203300304&Ref=AR&Border=0

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20130911/DEFREG02/309110023/Rooney-Nominated-Navy-Undersecretary

WASHINGTON — Jo Ann Rooney, a former university president and Massachusetts financial attorney with two years’ experience in the Pentagon, has been nominated to become undersecretary of the Navy, the No. 2 position in the Navy Department.

From CDR Sal's blog: http://www.cdrsalamander.blogspot.com/2013/09/so-you-need-new-bob-work.html

Here's her resume as collated by Sal:

- OCT 12 - present; Huron Consulting Group as a managing directors in the Huron Healthcare practice out of, ahem, Chicago.
- JUN/OCT 11 to JUN 12; Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness (acting): 8-months.
- JUL 10 to DEC 10; Mount Ida College, President. Student body 1,300.
- 2002 to 2010; Spalding University, President. Student body 2,000.
- 1996 to 2002; chief counsel, chief operating officer, chief financial officer, and partner of The Lyons Companies in Waltham, Mass. That firm maintained a national practice specializing in estate planning, capital advising, charitable planning, executive compensation, business succession planning, and benefits planning and administration for corporations, individuals and nonprofit organizations.
- Prior to that she was a tax lawyer.

Here's the resume of Bob Work, who she is replacing:
What was Bob Work's back-o-the-napkin CV before he became The Under?

- NROTC type, commissioned as a 2LT in the USMC in 1974.
- 27 years active duty service in the Marines. Commanded an artillery battalion, then Camp Fuji.
- The first head of the Marine Corps' Strategic Initiatives Group.
- Military Assistant and Special Aide to United States Secretary of the Navy Richard Danzig; retired as a Colonel in 2001.
- Spent the 2000s at CBSA and played around at Georgetown, ONA, and OSD - including work on the 2006 QDR.
- Worked with the Obama transition team and served four years with energy and verve as The Under.
- More of a paper trail than you have time to read.

Unqualified defense senior staff being put into position while the President is trying to start a limited war with a small Russian supported country that nobody really cares about over issues nobody cares about and all while the President is trying to do a massive social program thing.

Oh god, Obama isn't Carter. He's Johnson!

Moose-Knuckle
09-12-13, 15:27
This is progress citizen . . . hope and change.

.46caliber
09-12-13, 15:35
Undersecretary of the Navy? Sure, I played Battleship.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

NWPilgrim
09-12-13, 15:39
From what my brother (former Marine) says is happening to the services she will be a perfect compliment to the current admirals and generals and master NCOs. Our military has been so politicized since at least the early 1990s that this is just casting aside the window dressing of a uniform.

Match up her august military knowledge with Obama or Hillary's mastery of geo-politics and you have a SNL skit or Monty Python movie (except with real heads being cut off).

Airhasz
09-12-13, 15:40
Undersecretary of the Navy? Sure, I played Battleship.

Lol, that sums it up. I can wait till this administration is out of office!

Ick
09-12-13, 16:01
Having been intimately involved in hiring for the past 30 years I can say that anyone that hires for an "agenda-specific characteristic" is a fool. A fool.

Selecting employees based on attitude, skill, experience and qualifications should be the target.

I will allow persons to draw their own conclusions as to the existence of an "agenda" qualifier in the hiring process.

skydivr
09-12-13, 17:16
I need a facepalm Smilie please. I'll bet she gets sea-sick...

Who they gonna make SecARmy? Richard Simmons?

crusader377
09-12-13, 17:19
Has this new undersecretary ever even been on a USN ship??? How can one effectively lead such a unique organization as the Navy without having a basic understanding of the service.

Irish
09-12-13, 17:43
They can't be serious.

NWPilgrim
09-12-13, 19:06
I need a facepalm Smilie please. I'll bet she gets sea-sick...

Who they gonna make SecARmy? Richard Simmons?

Don't plant ideas!

.46caliber
09-12-13, 19:14
Pentagon? 5-sided Circus?
At this point, what does it really matter?

Alpha Sierra
09-12-13, 19:29
So glad I threw my USN uniforms in the trash when I walked off the Nimitz in 1994.......

MountainRaven
09-12-13, 20:29
All I'm going to say is that Theodore Roosevelt's single qualification for Assistant Secretary (what would today be Undersecretary) of the Navy was that he wrote a book about the naval battles of the War of 1812. And the Department of the Navy was a more important thing back then, as SecNav answered directly to PotUS and not to SecDef (there not being a SecDef at the time). And he was placed in this position under a SecNav who was a do-nothing and everybody knew it and TR ended up effectively running the entire Department of the Navy.

And he turned out alright. You know, with the whole Spanish-American War thing.

Not that Jo Ann Rooney is anywhere in the general vicinity of TR.... TR was, after all, police commissioner for NYPD (city), a rancher, a deputy sheriff, a state assemblyman, and an officer of the New York National Guard before becoming AsstSecNav.

Gutshot John
09-12-13, 20:38
And the Department of the Navy was a more important thing back then, as SecNav answered directly to PotUS and not to SecDef (there not being a SecDef at the time).

There was no Department of Defense, but there was a Department of War. It was changed to the Department of Defense in 1949, I'm pretty sure both were Cabinet positions.

MountainRaven
09-12-13, 20:51
There was no Department of Defense, but there was a Department of War. It was changed to the Department of Defense in 1949, I'm pretty sure both were Cabinet positions.

SecNav was a Cabinet position until 1949 when the department became a "military department" of the DoD.

Gutshot John
09-12-13, 20:55
SecNav was a Cabinet position until 1949 when the department became a "military department" of the DoD.

You said there was no SecDef at the time, there was a Secretary of War.

MountainRaven
09-12-13, 20:57
You said there was no SecDef at the time, there was a Secretary of War.

Yes, but SecNav didn't work for the Department of War. They now work for DoD.

That was what I was trying to get at. Sorry if that was unclear (evidently was).

T2C
09-12-13, 22:07
T.A.R.F.U.

Miami_JBT
09-13-13, 06:38
All I'm going to say is that Theodore Roosevelt's single qualification for Assistant Secretary (what would today be Undersecretary) of the Navy was that he wrote a book about the naval battles of the War of 1812. And the Department of the Navy was a more important thing back then, as SecNav answered directly to PotUS and not to SecDef (there not being a SecDef at the time). And he was placed in this position under a SecNav who was a do-nothing and everybody knew it and TR ended up effectively running the entire Department of the Navy.

And he turned out alright. You know, with the whole Spanish-American War thing.

Not that Jo Ann Rooney is anywhere in the general vicinity of TR.... TR was, after all, police commissioner for NYPD (city), a rancher, a deputy sheriff, a state assemblyman, and an officer of the New York National Guard before becoming AsstSecNav.

TR is a fine example what it takes to do the job right. He had leadership experience and skill. Studied his ass off and wasn't afraid to get his hands dirty. I wish we had a dozen TRs right now. Just thinking of him leading NASA or being President during the Space Race sends the thought of us having colonies in space.

Submariner
09-13-13, 08:49
The National Security Act of 1947 was a major restructuring of the United States government's military and intelligence agencies following World War II. The majority of the provisions of the Act took effect on September 18, 1947, the day after the Senate confirmed James Forrestal as the first Secretary of Defense. His power was initially limited and it was difficult for him to exercise the authority to make his office effective. This was later changed in the amendment to the act in 1949, creating what was to be the Department of Defense.

The Act merged the Department of War (renamed as the Department of the Army) and the Department of the Navy into the National Military Establishment, headed by the Secretary of Defense. It also created the Department of the Air Force, which separated the Army Air Forces into its own service. Initially, each of the three service secretaries maintained quasi-cabinet status, but the act was amended on August 10, 1949, to ensure their subordination to the Secretary of Defense. At the same time, the NME was renamed as the Department of Defense. The purpose was to unify the Army, Navy, and Air Force into a federated structure.

ThirdWatcher
09-13-13, 15:12
... I wish we had a dozen TRs right now...

I would settle for just one TR.

theblackknight
09-13-13, 23:04
I sometimes have crazy thoughts of going NG because our local unit dose a fair bit of actual training,it would make my USMC IRR time disapear, and because Murica. Then I turn on the computer/radio/TV and those crazy thoughts run screaming from my head.