PDA

View Full Version : Budget build

Koshinn
09-12-13, 23:37
http://i.imgur.com/2QhobJm.jpg

So this build started off with my S&W M&P-15/Magpul lower that I wasn't sure what to do with. Then I came across an extra LMT 2-stage trigger, Vortex Strikefire, Magpul/Noveske ambi selector, a stripped upper, an A2 FH, and MBUS gen2 sights. So... new AR!

It's light weight, pretty sturdy, budget-oriented plinker. All my "hard use" ARs have slick sides as well, from a URX3.1 to a NSR to a LMT MWS, so using the Troy Alpha made a lot of sense.

Oh, it has a CMMG dedicated .22LR barrel and bolt, along with a Better-Mag so I can run S&W M&P15-22 mags. I got fed up with trying to find the CMMG Evolution mags with Bolt Hold Open. So the bolt locks back on empty, stays back when removing the magazine, and the forward assist works!

Zane1844
09-13-13, 00:02
Cat: "What the hell is that on my post?" :D

Nice man. How do you like that rail? I have been searching for to replace my LITE rail.

Koshinn
09-13-13, 00:08
Cat: "What the hell is that on my post?" :D

Nice man. How do you like that rail? I have been searching for to replace my LITE rail.
It's not bad. It's easy to install and uses the standard barrel nut, so it has that going for it. It also comes with rails if you want to attach them, but to attach them pretty much requires removing it from the upper since there are backing plates. It's also relatively light weight and cheap.

But if this was for anything more than a .22LR, I'd go with a rail with polymer panels like anything keymod, the URX3/3.1, or CMR.

RMiller
09-13-13, 06:32
Looks like a good plinker/trainer.

Hows the Vortex Sparc treating you?

I have a couple friends that run them for range use and they like them so far.

And where the heck are you finding .22lr??

Koshinn
09-13-13, 08:15
Looks like a good plinker/trainer.

Hows the Vortex Sparc treating you?

I have a couple friends that run them for range use and they like them so far.

And where the heck are you finding .22lr??

So you know where I'm coming from, I own 2 Aimpoint T-1s and a PRO, used to own a CompM4S and am issued a CompM4. I used to own a Trijicon TA31 and TA33 as well as an Eotech EXPS 3-0.

The Strikefire (the Sparc is different) comes with a cheap cowitness mount and a useless 2x magnifier. I dislike the battery type, the controls, and I feel like the feature that allows switching from a red dot to green one somehow cheapens the optic. That said, it was actually cheap in price due to a sale and it only sits on my .22LR training/practice rifle. I would not trust it in a life or death situation, unlike some of the other Vortex products. I really like my Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 for example, and the Razor line looks great. But for a red dot, stick to Aimpoint.

Oklahoma has .22 if you know where to look ;)