PDA

View Full Version : More Protein more often = Benefits to body comp

WillBrink
09-13-13, 11:19
This data is fairly consistent with other studies finding that increased P above typical recs (15%) has a pos impact on body comp. It's a very constant finding. Increased meal frequency is less consistent a finding, but I'll still generally recommend 4-6 meals per day over the classic 3.

Obesity

Volume 21, Issue 7, pages 1357–1366, July 2013

Increased protein intake and meal frequency reduces abdominal fat during energy balance and energy deficit

Objective

Unrefined, complex carbohydrates and lean protein diets are used to combat obesity, although it's unknown whether more frequent meals may improve this response. The effects of consuming traditional (∼15%) versus higher (∼35%) protein intakes as three or six meals/day on abdominal fat, postprandial thermogenesis (TEM), and cardiometabolic biomarkers in overweight individuals during 28 days of energy balance (BAL) and deficit (NEG), respectively were compared.

Design and Methods

Overweight individuals (n = 30) were randomized into three groups: two high-protein groups (35% of energy) consumed as three (HP3) or six (HP6) meals/day and one group consumed three meals/day of a traditional intake (TD3). Following a 5-day baseline control (CON), subjects consumed their respective diets throughout a 56-day intervention consisting of two, 28 day phases: a BAL followed by a NEG phase (75% of energy needs). Total body fat (BF) and abdominal BF (ABF), body weight (BW), TEM, and fasting biomarkers were assessed at the end of CON, BAL, and NEG phases.

Results

BW remained stable throughout CON and BAL in all groups, whereas BF (P < 0.001) and ABF (P < 0.01) decreased in HP groups and lean body mass (LBM) and leptin increased in HP6. Following NEG, BW decreased in all groups. BF, ABF, and leptin decreased in HP groups; LBM remained higher (P < 0.05), and TEM was highest in HP6 (P < 0.05).

Conclusions

Consuming increased protein (∼35%) more frequently (6×) throughout the day decreases BF and ABF, increases LBM and TEM, and favorably affects adipokines more than current recommendations for macronutrients consumed over three meals/day in overweight individuals during both BAL and NEG.

Source:

Increased protein intake and meal frequency reduces abdominal fat during energy balance and energy deficit - Arciero - 2013 - Obesity - Wiley Online Library (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/oby.20296/abstract)

wild_wild_wes
09-13-13, 20:07
They cite "increased protein intake" as being "35% of energy". I routinely have more than that, almost 50% of total daily calories from protein. Too much?

WillBrink
09-14-13, 07:42
They cite "increased protein intake" as being "35% of energy". I routinely have more than that, almost 50% of total daily calories from protein. Too much?

What does that end up being in total grams? Too much depends on goals, performance, etc.

wild_wild_wes
09-14-13, 09:49
From an intake of 1988 Kcals, protein is 173 grams, or 48% (carbs 23%, fat 29%). I recently upped my calories by adding 2 tsp. daily of Flax Oil.

My current weight is 210 lbs., and I'm really trying to lose body fat (have been for a long time). I'm in my fourth week of P90X right now.

Thanks for your input, Will!

WillBrink
09-14-13, 17:35
From an intake of 1988 Kcals, protein is 173 grams, or 48% (carbs 23%, fat 29%). I recently upped my calories by adding 2 tsp. daily of Flax Oil.

My current weight is 210 lbs., and I'm really trying to lose body fat (have been for a long time). I'm in my fourth week of P90X right now.

Thanks for your input, Will!

It's above your actual recs for protein, but as long as you feel your energy levels are GTG, and the rest of your diet well balanced (to include plenty of veges, water, etc.,) all good. During a fat loss phase, people tend to do well with higher protein diets.

Magsz
09-16-13, 19:30
How tall are you?

1988 kcals seems REALLY low for the intensity level that P90X offers.

I didnt start actually putting on any size or losing body fat until i started eating 2500-2900 calories. I also want able to make it through a workout until i increased my carb intake to at LEAST 20% ie ditch my keto diet.

Everyone is different, im just curious to see how you're performing.

wild_wild_wes
09-16-13, 20:50
I'm 5'8" tall.

Today I admit I felt like total crap, barely got through the workout (headache, no energy).

Just started my fifth week. I elected to do Doubles, but instead of Cardio X this morning, before work I went on an easy 45 minute bike ride, and I felt okay. Shortly after I got to work though I started to crash physically. this could just have been a bad Monday though.

So as not to derail Will's thread... I can anecdotally say I fully agree with the study's results. I can lose weight going below maintenance, but unless I'm doing high protein, my body fat % stays the same.

WillBrink
09-17-13, 07:45
I'm 5'8" tall.

Today I admit I felt like total crap, barely got through the workout (headache, no energy).

Just started my fifth week. I elected to do Doubles, but instead of Cardio X this morning, before work I went on an easy 45 minute bike ride, and I felt okay. Shortly after I got to work though I started to crash physically. this could just have been a bad Monday though.

So as not to derail Will's thread... I can anecdotally say I fully agree with the study's results. I can lose weight going below maintenance, but unless I'm doing high protein, my body fat % stays the same.

Thats probably too low for cals, especially with the volume of exercise you're doing. Consider raising cals and or adding a high carb re feed day per week.