PDA

View Full Version : How can I check a rifle's history?

Veracity
04-24-08, 07:03
I have a serial number for a Colt. With it, can I check to see if it's preban?

markm
04-24-08, 08:17
We can probably tell by the model and features if you give us the info.

At one time I read that Colt was charging people to give them info from serial numbers... I can't blame them.

Veracity
04-24-08, 08:53
We can probably tell by the model and features if you give us the info.

At one time I read that Colt was charging people to give them info from serial numbers... I can't blame them.

Just emailed you.
Please let me know.

markm
04-24-08, 08:56
If you post the model and description here, Scottryan can help you establish the production date. I may or may not be of help, but Scottryan is very knowledgeable on Colt models and stuff. I'll IM him a link to this thread.

markm
04-24-08, 09:14
Do you live in a ban state? That's a beautiful carbine. For anyone reading this... Are all of the A2 Government Carbines pre ban?

scottryan
04-24-08, 09:29
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=98152893

If you are looking at this gun, it is preban.

Anything marked with "Match Target" or LEO only markings is postban.

Veracity
04-24-08, 09:50

Ah! You're transmitting in the clear!!
Now I will have to outbid more people!!

markm
04-24-08, 09:53
You'll be alright. That's a pretty steep price. No one in a free state will be in the hunt because we can own for cheaper. But if you need to have a preban, it's not a bad gun.

Veracity
04-24-08, 10:21

Because this is preban, what quality differences might there be if we compared this model to any new Colt?

This preban wouldn't have M4 ramps, right?

markm
04-24-08, 10:41
That's another Scottryan question. The quality will be FINE on this gun. M4 feedramps are really not a deal breaker for me under any circumstances.

Ekie
04-24-08, 14:18
Because this is preban, what quality differences might there be if we compared this model to any new Colt?

Not going to be any quality differences, other then I think the early 90 carbines are “prettier”.

This preban wouldn't have M4 ramps, right?

This carbine dates 93-94 the same time the M4 feed ramps came out. Earlier ones had a shallower ramps.

RogerinTPA
04-24-08, 17:22
Isn't the term "Preban" obsolete with the expiration of the AWB???

Why are preban weapons such a big deal with some people? Basically, who cares?

Aren't post bans "Neutered" to comply with the AWB?

Aren't most assault type rifles manufactured after the AWB expired, made to the same specs or better than "Prebans"?

Deadcenter45
04-24-08, 18:11
Isn't the term "Preban" obsolete with the expiration of the AWB???

Why are preban weapons such a big deal with some people? Basically, who cares?

Aren't post bans "Neutered" to comply with the AWB?

Aren't most assault type rifles manufactured after the AWB expired, made to the same specs or better than "Prebans"?

There are certain states in this country behind an Iron Curtain where the so-called Assault Weapons Ban still applies :

New York, Mass, Komifornica, etc

kingc
04-24-08, 18:51
Veracity,
It looks from the pictures like you'll have a fine lil Carbine there. It looks like when you get it, you'll be able to install the retained milspec pivot pin, as the hole looks to already be drilled. It looks to have a sear block, which is a piece of steel Colt put in the late 80's early 90's AR's to thwart the installation of full auto parts. You won't be able to use a full auto bolt carrier, but all semi bolt carriers will work fine as is. That Colt will be grey in shade, not the deep black like the current ones. If you can afford it, that's a great preban carbine.

militarymoron
04-24-08, 19:09
a little off topic, but i have a question about the retained pivot pin. a buddy of mine is getting an MT6731 (waiting to be delivered right now), and it's got the same screw pivot pin (i believe it's a .250" pin, not a large hole) as on the carbine which is the subject of this thread. is the plunger spring hole drilled on an MT6731 and can a regular retained pivot pin be used without having to do any drilling, or does he have to go with something like the KNS push button pivot pin if he wants to get rid of the screw?

Veracity
04-24-08, 19:54
Veracity,
It looks from the pictures like you'll have a fine lil Carbine there. It looks like when you get it, you'll be able to install the retained milspec pivot pin, as the hole looks to already be drilled. It looks to have a sear block, which is a piece of steel Colt put in the late 80's early 90's AR's to thwart the installation of full auto parts. You won't be able to use a full auto bolt carrier, but all semi bolt carriers will work fine as is. That Colt will be grey in shade, not the deep black like the current ones. If you can afford it, that's a great preban carbine.

So...you're saying I can convert this Colt and make it so that it will have a forward pivot pin?

kingc
04-24-08, 21:02
So...you're saying I can convert this Colt and make it so that it will have a forward pivot pin?

From the pictures, it looks like you'll be able to install the parts to have a retained milspec pivot pin vs the two-piece Colt screw. The picture shows the pivot pin detent spring/pin channel is already drilled out. You can tell by the weep hole shown.

TWR
04-24-08, 22:46
Do you live in a ban state? That's a beautiful carbine. For anyone reading this... Are all of the A2 Government Carbines pre ban?

Not all 6520 Govt carbines were preban. Right after the ban Colt did a run without marking them LEO I have tried to find out how many but the lady at Colt had no idea. I have one with serial number GC 0202xx it has the screw pivot pin .250", sear block, shaved carrier, old style stock and a 2 position tube.

They are nice carbines.

edit, mine is black just like current production guns.

kingc
04-25-08, 00:17
Veracity,
I'm not in NY and am no lawyer but if you are in NY, you might want to get a better feel for the weapons ban. I was just reading some parts of it, and the "COLT AR15" is one of the rifles specifically banned by name, unless possessed before Sept, 1994. So, I gather that means if it is exactly that model, a no-go. Something like a Colt Sporter, or Match Target would seem to be fine, but anything with AR15 on it might be questionable.

Just my two cents. Since you live in NY, perhaps you have a better sense of the way things are actually handled.

markm
04-25-08, 08:15
a little off topic, but i have a question about the retained pivot pin. a buddy of mine is getting an MT6731 (waiting to be delivered right now), and it's got the same screw pivot pin (i believe it's a .250" pin, not a large hole) as on the carbine which is the subject of this thread. is the plunger spring hole drilled on an MT6731 and can a regular retained pivot pin be used without having to do any drilling, or does he have to go with something like the KNS push button pivot pin if he wants to get rid of the screw?

Some Colts come drilled but have that silly screw pin thing. My gun happened to NOT be drilled and I had to pay Ken at S.A.W. $50 to get it converted.

A visual inspection of the lower with the screw pin set out should tell you if the receiver is already drilled. And there's no excuse for KNS anything to ever touch a COLT!

TWR
04-25-08, 10:16
Mine was not drilled either but I don't mind the screw setup.

markm
04-25-08, 10:23
Mine was not drilled either but I don't mind the screw setup.

Anything that can eliminate the need for a hand tool is good in my book.

The screw thing sucks ass for me because when I clean, I pull the upper off and run my cleaning rod military style.

TWR
04-25-08, 10:32
I use the cleaning link from Sinclair, either way is okay to me.

But then again I do have KNS trigger and hammer pins in all of my rifles so what do I know?;)

militarymoron
04-25-08, 11:03
demigod, thanks for the info. i'm trying to help my bud get all the parts/accessories he needs before he gets the rifle.

markm
04-25-08, 11:08
demigod, thanks for the info. i'm trying to help my bud get all the parts/accessories he needs before he gets the rifle.

I re read your post. Since your buddy's gun is a MT series, it may already be drilled. My gun was a ban era LE carbine.

militarymoron
04-25-08, 11:56
i'll check it out when he gets it. i have all the spare parts if it's indeed drilled already. i don't think sending it to ken to get it drilled is an option for him - his agency is very strict about not allowing any unapproved permanent alterations to the weapon if he's also going to use it on duty, even if he owns it.

Veracity
04-26-08, 00:39
Veracity,
I'm not in NY and am no lawyer but if you are in NY, you might want to get a better feel for the weapons ban. I was just reading some parts of it, and the "COLT AR15" is one of the rifles specifically banned by name, unless possessed before Sept, 1994. So, I gather that means if it is exactly that model, a no-go. Something like a Colt Sporter, or Match Target would seem to be fine, but anything with AR15 on it might be questionable.

Just my two cents. Since you live in NY, perhaps you have a better sense of the way things are actually handled.

Wow. I sure hope that's not true.
I'm running this info past several of the NYers I know who are real NYS AWB experts.
Man, I hope your wrong!