PDA

View Full Version : IS the S&B short dot still conidered the best of breed 1X4 on the market

Amur
09-13-13, 19:40
Are the lower price scopes jsut as good now? has anything better come out?

Thanks,
Amur

Gutshot John
09-13-13, 19:47
I'm not sure it ever was?

I can think of a half-dozen optics I would rather have, that weigh and cost half as much and do the job just as well.

I'd look hard at Nightforce.

Vinh
09-14-13, 00:15
It definitely was.

I still have my S&B and NF from back when they were the two main viable solutions.

The reality of the Short Dot in the civilian world is simply this:
1) Too expensive for most guys
2) Too heavy for most guys

As a result, market penetration was limited. More daylight visible options came on the market. Then, 1-8x/1-6x became all the rage. Lightweight is in.

So, while the Short Dot was never surpassed, it eventually lost relevance.

Good luck!

Tooth & Nail
09-14-13, 05:47
As always it depends on the definition of "best". Though the S&B may still be the best for some, I believe there are better choices for most. To be more specific I think it can be argued that the S&B glass and build quality / durability are as good as any thing available and better then most. On the other hand when magnification range (technically not a parameter within the "scope" of your question as stated, but still a factor that will be relevant to most people), weight, cost, and features (reticle choice for example) are considered I think there is a strong argument that there are now better choices available for most people.

Amur
09-14-13, 07:15
How dose at the nightforce scope do during daytime at 1x?

Gutshot John
09-14-13, 10:37
Does just fine, why wouldn't it?

I would speak to Scott at Liberty Optics, he'll talk to you, identify what best suits your needs/budget, and then give you a hell of a deal.

SkiDevil
09-14-13, 17:42
I own a Schmidt and Bender Short Dot 1-4 CQB and have used it only for target practice, hunting, and recreational shooting.

Before purchasing it I looked at several optics, and at that time the only scope I considered as an alternative was the Swaro 1-6x hunting scope.

There are several new models now on the market, however very few will match the durability, build quality, glass, and eyebox forgiveness (head placement) of the SD.

I would look at Mr. Vickers' website and at other SME's evaluations and opinions regarding the Short Dot and other similar optics for a better assessment.

Ultimately, you will have to choose what will work best for your intended use.

In conclusion, in my limited experience the only drawbacks I see with this scope 1-4x are the cost and weight. I base my opinion, in the use of the Short Dot 1-4x scope as a general purpose optic and not for a precision role.

link: http://vickerstactical.com/tactical-tips/short-dot/

Larry Vickers
09-14-13, 20:46
I'm hearing real good things about the Vortex 1-6 Razor HD - and it is at a very attractive price point. This could be the lower cost alternative that everyone has been looking for - I have one on the way to check out

One thing to factor in is the S&B short dot has seen combat - lots of it - and that carries a lot of weight in the real world

Looking forward to shaking out the Vortex 1-6 !!

Alaskapopo
09-17-13, 03:20
The Swarovski Z6i and the Vortex 1-6 are great scopes I own both. I looked hard at the Short Dot back when I first got into three gun but I went with the Swaro back before it became cool. Its 1-6 is daylight visible and has a good reticle. About the only thing the Short Dot did better was the turrets and frankly I don't want large exposed turrets on this type of optic.
Pat

Alaskapopo
09-17-13, 03:22
I'm not sure it ever was?

I can think of a half-dozen optics I would rather have, that weigh and cost half as much and do the job just as well.

I'd look hard at Nightforce.

Nightforce has fallen asleep at the wheel for this class of optic. They don't have a daylight visible reticle illumination and they are only 1-4x. Their 1-4 is compact and well built but its behind the power curve.
Pat

IndianaBoy
09-22-13, 00:05
I'm hearing real good things about the Vortex 1-6 Razor HD - and it is at a very attractive price point. This could be the lower cost alternative that everyone has been looking for - I have one on the way to check out

One thing to factor in is the S&B short dot has seen combat - lots of it - and that carries a lot of weight in the real world

Looking forward to shaking out the Vortex 1-6 !!

I would very much like to read your review.