PDA

View Full Version : quick review of streamlight protac 2L

johnnyrebel87
09-13-13, 21:59
Hey guys, quick review here of the protac 2l.

Been carrying it for a week now as an edc light. Previous light was a fenix p3d ce. This one is by far my favorite. It is a good length, and will stick out both sides of your fist if needed. Both ends are scalloped. It is a fairly slim body. Slim enough that it rides in the left side of my back left pocket, unnoticed in jeans (my normal wear), or dickies brand pants. It has 3 flats milled on the largest diameter so it won't roll, tho the clip does a better job for that. It has 3 ways to be programmed. I am leaving it the factory way, which is click once for full brightness, soft touch once and click for strobe, or soft touch twice then click for low brightness. You can change it to only be bright or low. I like this, because I usr it all the time, so the low brightness comes in handy. If you need to pull it outfor "tactical" reasons, one click turns it on. And soft touches runs the high beam also. You can soft touch thru the settings if you need. The pocket clip is sturdy and it hasn't moved around in my pocket. And it has not turned on accidentally in my pocket.

It is very bright on high, and the picture shown here is a barn 97 yards from where I'm standing. Bright enough to shoot with iron sights if you can see the sights. Low is bright enough to work for any regular tasks. It runs on 123a batteries as most things like this do. Overall I love the size and weight, looks, brightness, and function of this light. It will continue to be my edc light for a long time to come. I can't think of abytht I would change about it. Here's a couple pics. Thanks.

johnnyrebel87
09-13-13, 22:00
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/bamarammin87/IMAG0208.jpg

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/bamarammin87/IMAG0217.jpg

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/bamarammin87/IMAG0224.jpg

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/bamarammin87/IMAG0226.jpg

johnnyrebel87
09-13-13, 22:10
C4® LED illumination output and run times:
HIGH - 260 lumens; 5,600 candela peak beam intensity; runs 3 hours
LOW - 13 lumens; 300 candela peak beam intensity;* runs 50 hours
STROBE – runs 6 hours

Includes two 3V CR123A lithium batteries and nylon holster

Solid State power regulation provides maximum light output throughout battery life

Rubber push-button tail switch

Durable, anodized aluminum construction with impact-resistant tempered glass lens

IPX7 waterproof to 1 meter for 30 minutes; 2 meter impact resistance tested

Unbreakable pocket clip

Anti-roll head

4.77” (12.12 cm); 2.8 oz (79 grams

Mak8080
09-14-13, 01:12
Thank you for the review. I've been looking to pickup this light.

Plumber237
09-14-13, 05:12
This is my current EDC light as well, for the price ($44 on Amazon) you can't beat it. I barely notice the light in my back pocket with it clipped towards the outside edge. Anybody looking for an affordable, durable, EDC carry light should give it a try.

lethal dose
09-14-13, 07:30
My EDC is a surefire e1b. Have you had the chance to compare the two? Personally, I have not fondled the streamlight and am curious as to weather or not the cost outweighs the benefits on surefire's offering.

lethal dose
09-14-13, 07:42
How does it seal up? Good use of gaskets, etc?

johnnyrebel87
09-14-13, 11:35
Yes, I haven't done any tests other than in a sink, but it looks to deal up tight. I cannot compare to the surefire. I can compare to the fenix this weekend. I am sure loving this light. First click full brightness but still retains multi brightness fit every day tasks.

ra2bach
09-14-13, 13:16
nice. the head looks slimmer than the Pro-Tac HL 630 lumen but the rest looks similar if not the same. the lighting programs are the same...

probably makes it a better EDC but I just love having 630 (claimed) lumens on hand. makes looking at house numbers simple as daylight...

86 slo-vo
09-14-13, 18:20
Been carrying one for over a year now, no problems. I'd say I've ran 10-15 sets of batteries through it with no problems.

sierra 223
09-14-13, 18:47
Have one been carrying for about a year, its a great light.

Very much good to go.

Moose-Knuckle
09-14-13, 20:54
Well I'll be the one to pinch a loaf in the punch bowl . . .

I have had two ProTac 2L's for a little over three years now. Keep one in my every day pack and the better half keeps the other in her purse. It has been my experience with this light that the mode will switch from low/high/strobe without me activating the button. I can literally shake the light to switch between modes without having to go through the button sequence. I have never experienced this with any of my SF’s.

sierra 223
09-15-13, 11:09
Moose Nuckle, sorry to hear the issues. I turned mine on and shook it in all 3 modes and it worked as it should.

Do both of yours do that?

FrozenBeanz
09-19-13, 19:34
I've been carrying mine for 6-months and love it. It even survived a run through the washing machine. Still works great and has a spring rain fresh smell!

masakari
09-20-13, 08:20
I carried this light for 3 years or so and it was flawless... with one exception. the depth of the pressure switch is shallow, so it is easy to have it accidently activated while in your pocket.
My light survived some serious hard labor, and performed great.

Moose-Knuckle
09-20-13, 18:05
Do both of yours do that?

Yes, both of the ones I have will randomly switch between modes if moving about.