PDA

View Full Version : DD Triggers

walker2713
09-14-13, 10:25
I've used DD parts in builds in the past, but never owned a DD rifle or lower per se....

The only AR's I have with the factory trigger are 2 RRA's with the 2-stage trigger. My others have JP or Geissele's in them. I've got a Colt 6920, and am about to put a Timney 3lb in it....

So, my question....what kind of trigger experience should I expect if I buy a Daniels Defense M4V7, which is the one I'm looking at?

I know I'll end up changing out the A2 pistol grip and MOE buttstock, but will I be happy with the stock trigger?

Thanks!

George

Tzed250
09-14-13, 10:35
The DDM4v7 I considered buying had a so-so mil-spec trigger.

More on the subject:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=133077&highlight=Daniel+defense+trigger

SpeedRacer
09-14-13, 11:08
DD rifles have a top notch GI trigger. The real question is if a GI trigger meets your needs, because even a top notch one, by design, can be heavy and gritty. You'll probably hate it in comparison to your RRA factory triggers but then those have been known to fail with pretty low round counts so it's all give/take.

If you're accustomed to a 2-stage and the GI doesn't float your boat, throw a Geissele in like your others and have both a fantastic AND reliable trigger.

bryanZ06
09-14-13, 19:07
I had a Colt 6920. I currently have a DD M4A1 with a standard trigger that is MUCH better than the Colt ever was. I also have an LMT MWS with a Geissele SSA-E that is much better than the DD. For what I will use the DD for (short range (110-120 yards max) tac rifle competition) I'm going to stick with the factory trigger. It doesn't compare to the Geissele, but it is night and day ahead of the Colt.

MountainRaven
09-14-13, 20:06
I had a DD with a stock trigger. It was OK. Although most of the rifles I've been running have had at least ALG triggers in them.

I already had a Geissele SSA on hand, so it didn't last long.

VIP3R 237
09-14-13, 20:12
Its a GI spec trigger, I've seen some close to 5#, others are up in the 8-9# range. If you are worried about it throw a Geissele in it and don't look back.

Tigereye
09-15-13, 19:25
You could grease it and dry fire it a lot or pick up one of the ALG triggers to replace it.

Djstorm100
09-15-13, 19:31
Does Gisselle make a mil spec trigger? On my phone so I can't get to there sight. I would like a improve trigger to see the difference but its a rifle I use for classes and my shtf rifle.

Sent from from your Sister's bedroom.

Dobie
09-15-13, 19:31
My DD was decent but after getting a Geissele its game over.

Djstorm100
09-15-13, 19:33
My DD was decent but after getting a Geissele its game over.

Which one did you get?

Dobie
09-15-13, 19:41
Which one did you get?

SSA for my use.

Blak1508
09-15-13, 20:27
I also was happy with my DD stock trigger on my M4V1 but after switching to the Geissele SSA, SSA-E on my builds, it seems to be the line for me. I think my DD trigger was 6ish, IMO and experience its luck, some are better than others stock. I really enjoy the SSA and other Geissele triggers I have used so depending on the build I would just toss one of them in.

ForTehNguyen
09-15-13, 20:32
Does Gisselle make a mil spec trigger? On my phone so I can't get to there sight. I would like a improve trigger to see the difference but its a rifle I use for classes and my shtf rifle.

ALG Defense ACT/QMS triggers. Basically tuned USGI triggers that are consistently in the low 6# range. Normal USGI trigger are in spec if they are between 5-9#.

Dead Man
09-15-13, 20:47
Seems all GI triggers from all manufacturers are going to be hit and miss, and almost all will need a pretty significant break-in period before they start to smooth out, if they ever do, barring a polish job from a qualified smith (which can do wonders).

Just one of those constants, in the industry. Hence the explosion of the aftermarket trigger market.

Tzook
09-15-13, 23:21
I have two, both are meh. Not bad, but definitely not good

Hwikek
09-15-13, 23:55
It'll be somewhere within the range of milspec triggers. You wouldn't expect to find it on a custom built F-class rifle but it works well enough for the role it was meant to fill. Only Gieselle triggers seem to offer the same consistent reliability of the milspec one for AR rifles. But I don't remember being unable to shoot decently when all I had was the stock option.

thehun
09-16-13, 10:28
I think its a hit and miss.

My DD trigger is GREAT..my friends V7 trigger...gritty as all get out

Rikakiah
09-21-13, 22:44
I know this thread is pretty hashed out, but just got the chance to fire my DDM4v7 today and I don't have any issue with the trigger. Granted, I don't have experience with match triggers, but this didn't feel gritty or excessively heavy. Felt much better than my Walther/HK .22 416, that's for sure.

I didn't get a lot of use out of it today, but if I replace it at some point, it will be just because I want to try a precision trigger, not because this one's causing undue issues.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

halfmoonclip
09-22-13, 08:00
Has anyone ever had a bad word to say about a Geissele ('too expensive' and 'spoils you for anything else' excepted)?
I'm not complaining; I've got four of them.
It just amazes me that such a basic mechanism as the GI trigger is as bad as it is; it's not rocket surgery in design, and it would seem polished working surfaces would at least produce a clean break...it's always the creep and grittiness that has bugged me. How tough could it be for the MFGs to put a clean breaking trigger in initially...are they just selling everything they make so they're not concerned?
Advertising yourself as 'the AR with a good trigger' would seem like a selling point when consumers are making a decision.
Moon

samuse
09-22-13, 10:34
It amazes me that no less than twice a week people get on here and whine about DD stock triggers.

chuckman
09-22-13, 18:41
I didn't get a lot of use out of it today, but if I replace it at some point, it will be just because I want to try a precision trigger, not because this one's causing undue issues.

...and herein is the crux: thousands (millions) have shot bad guys hundreds of yards with stock triggers with no problem. That isn't to say there aren't better triggers, but stock triggers usually serve their function pretty well.

halfmoonclip
09-22-13, 19:39
When I was young and dumb, I shot good scores with the M16 that Uncle Sam was kind enough to give me.
That said, I've found it bunches easier to shoot a rifle with a good trigger.
Moon

_Stormin_
09-22-13, 20:27
When I was young and dumb, I shot good scores with the M16 that Uncle Sam was kind enough to give me.
That said, I've found it bunches easier to shoot a rifle with a good trigger.
Moon

This… Even if you get good with a 7-9lb GI trigger, it will only serve to make you better with a good 3.5-4.5 match grade trigger. The difference in pull weight takes a bit to get used to if you're only used to the GI weight, but once you've fired a few rounds you'll never want to go back.

FloridaWoodsman
09-22-13, 21:36
I got a DD lower parts kit and the trigger was nothing special. Polishing contact parts did very little to reduce the gritty feel.

samuse
09-23-13, 11:39
I got a DD lower parts kit and the trigger was nothing special. Polishing contact parts did very little to reduce the gritty feel.

Was it supposed to be special? Did they sell it as a 'special' trigger?

No. It's just like every other trigger.

FloridaWoodsman
09-23-13, 13:57
Was it supposed to be special? Did they sell it as a 'special' trigger?

No. It's just like every other trigger.
From their web site:
"... the parts we provide are of the highest quality'

But as you say, it's just like every other trigger.

I had based my purchase on product reviews at the time, but looking at reviews now, it seems to be a hit or miss deal as to whether you get one of the good ones or one of the gritty ones. There was also a part missing from the parts kit package and it looks like others have experienced that too.

I have been totally happy, though, with my DD barrel.

jerhelo
09-23-13, 19:45
I've used DD parts in builds in the past, but never owned a DD rifle or lower per se....

The only AR's I have with the factory trigger are 2 RRA's with the 2-stage trigger. My others have JP or Geissele's in them. I've got a Colt 6920, and am about to put a Timney 3lb in it....

So, my question....what kind of trigger experience should I expect if I buy a Daniels Defense M4V7, which is the one I'm looking at?

I know I'll end up changing out the A2 pistol grip and MOE buttstock, but will I be happy with the stock trigger?

Thanks!

George
They are not bad, just change out the springs for a $12 set of JP tactical springs with the red hammer spring. Makes a huge difference on the standard GI trigger. I ended up putting Geisselle's in all of my daniels, either a SSA or G2S, both work great if you decide to upgrade...

halfmoonclip
09-23-13, 21:58
The GI trigger is a box of rocks. A guy on the forums was doing trigger jobs on them, and I sent one off for work. The returned trigger was a delight; light, crisp and reliable.
So I sent him another one that came back as unsafe; it would double and threaten to run away.
There is no good answer to this question save for reaching for your wallet and getting a Geissele.
Moon

Dead Man
09-24-13, 00:29
From their web site:
"... the parts we provide are of the highest quality'

But as you say, it's just like every other trigger.

I had based my purchase on product reviews at the time, but looking at reviews now, it seems to be a hit or miss deal as to whether you get one of the good ones or one of the gritty ones. There was also a part missing from the parts kit package and it looks like others have experienced that too.

I have been totally happy, though, with my DD barrel.

Perhaps they assume anyone installing an LPK will know enough to know that there's no such thing as a guaranteed "good" GI trigger out of the bag. Colt triggers can make some really nice triggers, polished or well broken in, but even for being the "best," their GI triggers are usually like nails on a chalkboard right out of the box.

Their claim to provide parts of the highest quality is, I'm sure, in reference to the fact that they deep fry and test fit every part that comes down the line- that your trigger is more likely to work perfectly and not break, not that it will pull like a custom or aftermarket trigger.

samuse
09-24-13, 05:47
Perhaps they assume anyone installing an LPK will know enough to know that there's no such thing as a guaranteed "good" GI trigger out of the bag. Colt triggers can make some really nice triggers, polished or well broken in, but even for being the "best," their GI triggers are usually like nails on a chalkboard right out of the box.

Their claim to provide parts of the highest quality is, I'm sure, in reference to the fact that they deep fry and test fit every part that comes down the line- that your trigger is more likely to work perfectly and not break, not that it will pull like a custom or aftermarket trigger.

Bingo. With a stock AR trigger, high quality in no way insinuates a light, crisp, clean pull or break or otherwise references the 'feel' of the trigger.

The customer service people at DD are probably ate-up with little kids calling every day whining about their trigger.

albatrossarmament
09-24-13, 06:40
Compared to other issue rifles around the world ( G3, FAL, AK, G36, etc....) the Mil-Spec AR trigger is actually pretty good. Its the civilian market (and the DMR style mil rifles) that drive the need for a better "hunting rifle" trigger to be found on a combat rifle in the US.

samuse
09-24-13, 21:19
Compared to other issue rifles around the world ( G3, FAL, AK, G36, etc....) the Mil-Spec AR trigger is actually pretty good. Its the civilian market (and the DMR style mil rifles) that drive the need for a better "hunting rifle" trigger to be found on a combat rifle in the US.

And all the FUDDS in the mil who use SSFs ?;)

Yessir. They some huntin' sumbitches!

polymorpheous
09-24-13, 21:43
Can we start a USGI trigger sticky thread
This topic comes up far too much.