PDA

View Full Version : Can You Identify This Item? I'm Stumped...

jet66
09-14-13, 18:35
My parents are retired and decided on downsizing from a house to an apartment that's closer to their doctors, shopping, etc. My mom had a ton of stuff shipped to me, a lot of old and antique items that have been passed down several generations. So I'm unpacking antique dishes and find this... Thing. My mom and dad (both born in the mid '40s, for context) have no idea what it is. My dad was a career USAF guy, working on all kinds of electrical and electronic stuff, as well as being a pretty good mechanic across the board from small engines to large diesel power plants. All around, he's one of those guys with a ton of experiences with a ton of fields, so the idea that even he has no idea what it is surprised me. It belonged to my father's grandfather, and was in his old (otherwise mostly empty) wooden tool box. It may not even be a tool, as there was also a very old ice cream scoop in with it. Nobody in the family is alive that would know, and searches on the internet have been fruitless. There seems to be a wealth of experience here, so hopefully someone can shed some light on what it is.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff122/jet1966/WTF/fromside_zpsffb9df9b.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff122/jet1966/WTF/fromabove_zps4a31b0a3.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff122/jet1966/WTF/frombottom_zps4e2d1739.jpg

Description: Made of brass or some similar metal, about 8 1/2" tall, 3" in diameter at the widest part of the large cylindrical area. The opening through the center of the horn goes all the way through unobstructed, and the cylindrical area is thickly caked with what appears to be some hard ash/residue. It looks as if some substance was burned away from within, looking very much like a spent model rocket solid fuel motor. There is no real distinguishing smell, the ash can be chipped away fairly easily in chalk-like grey chunks. The larger opening at the end where you can see the ash is slightly angled wider, with a small lip where it may have sat on top of something else. There are no markings on it, as far as words, logos, etc. There is a small square (visible in the first picture, just above the cylindrical part) but I'm not sure if it was 'on purpose' or just incidental.

Background: Unfortunately, the 'rest of the story' is full of mysteries as well, leaving little clue as to where to begin looking for this thing. My great-grandfather had TB and committed suicide (maybe 1923, 1924) when my grandfather was pretty young, so no one really knows much about him, as far as what kind of work he did and such. I'd sure love to figure out what this thing is, if anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated.

MarkG
09-14-13, 18:43
I believe it's an ashtray...

ETA: I didn't see the 3 inch diameter base on my first read. I still think it might be an ashtray of some sort.

SilverBullet432
09-14-13, 18:50
Its a spittoon!

Moose-Knuckle
09-14-13, 19:11
My $0.02 . . . it appears to have been a horn on some apparatus which has been repurposed as an ashtray/spittoon.

Ryno12
09-14-13, 19:15
Yeah, I'd say it's an old air horn.

Sent via Tapatalk

Whiskey_Bravo
09-14-13, 20:52
Looks like an old air horn to me.

lethal dose
09-14-13, 21:10
I'd say old air horn retrofitted to be used as other.

tb-av
09-14-13, 22:23
ashtray, spitoon were going to be my guesses as well.

Not sure why it would have hole all the way through though.

It certainly has the shape of an air horn and you can also fit electrical drivers to horns.

That's worse than that wrench I posted... still don't know what the hell that is.

You've got an odd one that's for sure.

SteyrAUG
09-14-13, 23:41
At first look I immediately thought of air horn too, just not sure they made them that long ago.

Ryno12
09-15-13, 00:34
Early 20th century locomotive/truck air horn.

Sent via Tapatalk