PDA

View Full Version : Lessons Learned from the CO Flood

LowSpeed_HighDrag
09-14-13, 18:59
Gents,

As the flood water surrounds our homes in our neighborhood, and as the Big Thompson, Platte, and Poudre Rivers rise and surge miles from where we live, I start to think about all that I thought I knew about "survival". What I thought I knew...I didn't.

First off is "Bugging out". The main Interstates and Highways to get in or out of Weld County are Hwy 85, 34, 392, and I25. All have been shut down both by CDOT and by flood waters. Hwy 34 is the main thoroughfare and is now crumbling and eroding. Those in Estes park have 3 roads in or out; 34, 36, and Trail Ridge. 34 and 36 are literally gone, just gone. There is no way out of that city but through the air or dead in the raging rivers. Bugging out for any of us in Northern Colorado simply isn't an issue. This flood is being called a 1 in 500 year flood, and it came from only 3 days of rain. There was no bugging out before this happened because there was no warning. And for those that tried to get out, the bridges along the highways that got destroyed and the debris left that sits under the water stopped all exit traffic. My wife and I tried to make it to Loveland from Greeley today to look at P30's now that I'm off duty finally. We got half way down the highway before we saw the MILES long row of stopped traffic. What this has proven for us is that we need to be ready to "Bug In" not out. If the water doesn't touch us, it will knock out power, and then clean water will go too. Stock up on dry food, canned food, and more water than you feel comfortable with. My wife made an emergency run to the store yesterday to get more water and bought some of the last items left on the shelf. We need to buy more in the future, and dammit I feel like I need more ammo. We didn't have bug out bags made because I always thought the idea was sort of funny. We finally made them today because as soon as the Natl Guard Blackhawks offer us a ride, then thats the only way out.

Second is people. Society has not crumbled, even with actual cities now underwater. We watched as Evans,Co slowly disappeared. No roving gangs have started raping and pillaging, and no reports of looting have come in yet. People started helping each other, wether it was rescue efforts or simply giving someone dry shelter, people are helping. This isn't to say that the looting won't happen, but it hasn't yet. I got listen to a group of inmates talk about the fun they could have in the empty trailer parks we were seeing on the news, so make no mistake that there is a criminal element out there somewhere that will prey on this. It comforts me to know that the majority of people will help you, and that a small minority can be dealt with using a 124gr JHP.

Third is firearms. It has not yet become socially acceptable to roam the streets with a plate carrier and AR15. Also, do not expect to be rescued by emergency personnel if you are toting your biggest blaster. Concealable weapons here are key. If you have an SBS/SBR that you can throw in a pack then good on you. If not, a good and comfortable concealable pistol is going to be key. I'm happy to have multiple long guns to defend my home if need be, but if we need to be evacuated I'll have my handgun in a HPG Kit Bag on my chest and no one will be the wiser. A quality pistols with plenty of magazines is, in my mind, the best and most sensible urban survival weapon. I always saw myself walking grabbing a rifle and heading out the door, but that simply isn't the case anymore.

Its eerie just sitting and waiting for the Poudre River to spill over, but whatever happens happens and we feel ready to stay in our house until its gone, and then we'll have to put on our packs and find an island in Colorado. We most likely won't get touched, but the town 12 miles over is now evacuated so....we'll see!

Here are some pics of the surrounding areas (not my pics):

Big Thomspon River at the bottom of the Canyon in Loveland:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/glockfire/20130912__big-thompson-floodp1_zps9b115e4e.jpg (http://s47.photobucket.com/user/glockfire/media/20130912__big-thompson-floodp1_zps9b115e4e.jpg.html)

The Big Thompson coming down from Estes to Loveland:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/glockfire/1236045_10152190589264867_929540355_n_zpsbe848bf8.jpg (http://s47.photobucket.com/user/glockfire/media/1236045_10152190589264867_929540355_n_zpsbe848bf8.jpg.html)

12 miles from my home in Evans:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/glockfire/images_zps0bcfc9af.jpeg (http://s47.photobucket.com/user/glockfire/media/images_zps0bcfc9af.jpeg.html)

St Vrain River in Lyons/Longmont(?):
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/glockfire/1233580_10152186828304867_2042856284_n_zpsc06896a6.jpg (http://s47.photobucket.com/user/glockfire/media/1233580_10152186828304867_2042856284_n_zpsc06896a6.jpg.html)

Hwy 36 from Estes to Lyons:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/glockfire/rtx13iy8_zpsb2af06e1.jpg (http://s47.photobucket.com/user/glockfire/media/rtx13iy8_zpsb2af06e1.jpg.html)

montanadave
09-14-13, 19:17
Stay safe and I wish you and your family well. Truly an amazing storm with devastating consequences.

High Tower
09-14-13, 19:21
I hope everything works out for the best for you and yours.

Excellent insight into being prepared. Its good to hear that looting has not started yet. That seems to be a regional thing. I remember when a tornado hit a town near where I used to live and the State Patrol had to practically cordon off the town to keep the looting down.

Moose-Knuckle
09-14-13, 19:26
Thanks for sharing your story, stay safe and keep an axe in your attic.

Tzed250
09-14-13, 19:29
It sounds like you have your S together and it won't be hitting the fan. Stay safe.

MAP
09-14-13, 19:48
Good luck. I'm in Windsor right off of I25N. No issues here but 4 miles east there are many flooded roads and vast areas without electricity.

One thing to consider adding to your preps is a Berkey water filter. It is a great compliment to on hand water.

Mike

jpmuscle
09-14-13, 19:49
Thoughts and prayers are with you guys. Good luck

MountainRaven
09-14-13, 20:22
Holy sh__.

Luck and skill.

4x4twenty6
09-14-13, 20:34
Thoughts and Prayers bro. Thank you for posting your experience with this terrible disaster.
This really motivates me to get my crap together and continue to be vigilant and prepare for life's crazy twists and turns.

SeriousStudent
09-15-13, 02:06
Holy poop! :eek:

Dang, be safe up there, man. I wish we could take some of that rain from you.

I'll definitely second the recommendation about the Berkey water filters, I love mine.

sboza
09-15-13, 04:08
I always appreciate good, real world insight. The "what if's" certainly have a place in visualizing possible necessities in shtf scenarios but real life insight is IMHO much more valuable although always scenario specific.

I agree strongly with a highly concealable pistol/holster option with spare magazines. I would argue that someone with a long gun, even if doing so legally, would have to surrender that long gun and get a thorough patdown in a rescue event whereas someone with a concealed pistol would likely pass through without being put through the ringer. I hate the thought if losing long gun capability but that is all the more reason to be proficient with your pistol.

You and yours will be in my prayers. Stay safe (and dry) brother.

skydivr
09-15-13, 08:45
My Cousin lives in Loveland and I've been up that road to Estes Park a few times...It's gonna be awhile it looks like before I do that again. Wonder how full Lake Loveland is now, it was way low last time I saw it...

ST911
09-15-13, 08:57
Great post LSHD, chock full of lessons.

Natural disasters and emergency environmental conditions are far more likely scenarios than societal collapse, end of the world, and zombie nonsense.

Eurodriver
09-15-13, 09:08
Second is people. Society has not crumbled, even with actual cities now underwater. We watched as Evans,Co slowly disappeared. No roving gangs have started raping and pillaging, and no reports of looting have come in yet. People started helping each other, wether it was rescue efforts or simply giving someone dry shelter, people are helping. This isn't to say that the looting won't happen, but it hasn't yet. I got listen to a group of inmates talk about the fun they could have in the empty trailer parks we were seeing on the news, so make no mistake that there is a criminal element out there somewhere that will prey on this. It comforts me to know that the majority of people will help you, and that a small minority can be dealt with using a 124gr JHP.

This is good news - but.

It appears you live in "somewhat" rural Colorado.

Different demographics than say...New Orleans, Louisiana; Hialeah, Florida; or Brownsville, Texas.

I just wanted to point that out to anyone (like me) who thinks all his EBT, 27 felony rap sheet neighbors are going to band together and help everyone out.

Stay safe.

decodeddiesel
09-15-13, 18:07
My house seems safe for now, but my wife and I just spent the day putting together a bug-out and stocking up on some non-perishable groceries and water.

It's raining again. Steady, sustained rain. Unless you're from the West it's hard to understand how unusual this is for here. I grew up in New England where 5 straight days of hard rain was completely normal. In Colorado 5 straight days of hard rain is catastrophic. We just can't deal with it fast enough, the existing drainage infrastructure is completely insufficient.

7.62WildBill
09-15-13, 18:58
LSHD, my thoughts and prayers go out to you, your family, friends, and neighbors. Be strong, because the hard part is yet to come. The clean-up and recovery will take months and years, but the place you knew will never be the same.

I went through eastern North Carolina's 500 year flood in 1999 after Hurricane Floyd. The ground was supersaturated from Tropical Storm Dennis after it had slowly rolled by, went to Virginia, and then turned back south and dumped on us again. My place was out in the country, about a mile from the Tar River near Greenville. Not wanting to risk getting our cars stuck, my buddy (housemate) and I drove our cars about 2 miles to a small hill near the highway and parked them. While walking in the steady rain down the long dirt road back to the house, a neighbor driving by stopped to see if we were OK. After telling him why we were walking, he laughed and drove on to his house. That was the last time he drove that car.

Floyd rolled in on Thursday afternoon. The wind blew pretty good that night and as the day began to break, it was clear that the dirt road was now impassable and that everyone without a boat was trapped. Just so happened, I had 4 or 5 small boats. They would prove to be very useful. Ever so slowly the water continued to rise. Around 8 a.m. it began to come over the slab on the first floor as we hurried to move valuables up to the second floor. By noon it was knee deep, and the downstairs toilet began back flowing shit out of the bowl. By Saturday it was about 5 feet deep downstairs. We had plenty of provisions, electricity, and satellite TV. We saw our house surrounded by water, shot from a helicopter on the major networks while were sitting in the living room!

Society did not unravel, but I did have to shoot a few snakes attempting to seek refuge. We (and other neighbors) went out in boats to check on each other, making sure that the older folks were OK. They predicted that the water would crest at 32 feet above the bank in our area. We dropped a tape measure down from the deck, did some quick calculations, and figured it would be waist deep on the second floor soon. As we prepared to evacuate, we hid the electronics (stereos, TVs, computer) in the attic. We paddled my big canoe with the dogs aboard to the edge of the flood waters, about 150 feet down hill from my truck. The tips of trees and bushes still visible we absolutely covered with insects, and we saw rafts of fire ants 3 feet across! We passed off the dogs to waiting family, then paddled back to load my jon boat with clothes, guns, school books (we were both in college) etc. A neighbor with a jet ski kindly towed the jon boat back to the truck. The water crested about six inches short of the second floor, and it took three weeks for the water to recede enough to drive back to the house.

Lessons I learned:
-Do not rely on anyone but yourself.
-People will pull together to help one another.
-FEMA will either screw you or grossly over compensate you (I got screwed).
-Cleaning up after a flood is simply awful. Some of my neighbors lost horses and cattle.
-Rebuilding is the hardest part. Find out what disaster assistance programs are available and file as early as you can.

Again LSHD, my thoughts and prayers to you and all your people.

RogerinTPA
09-15-13, 19:40
Good luck and I'm glad you aren't in a major city thats flooded. Agreed: Always have a bug in and a bug out plan for sure. Timing is everything for bugging out, but in your case, the event being so rare, it's impossible to know the effects of that type of unexpected flood and weather pattern can do to you and the property, until you live through it. A flood would definitely cause me to re-evaluate the current living situation (moving to higher ground, not living near the path of potential flood flows, and not on 100 year flood plains).

SteyrAUG
09-16-13, 00:50
Glad you are alright.

Completely agree on bugging out. Not sure where I could go on one tank of gas where I'd have a better chance of survival than in my home. It would take a LOT for me to "bug out" and that means everyone would be doing the same so might as well start walking.

Done a few hurricane seasons where we were "on our own" for a couple weeks. Handgun on the hip during daylight, slung a rifle at dusk. This was most for deterrence as there were quite a few "opportunists" out and about after a hurricane.

But more than guns the big three remain food, shelter and water. Most folks on my block were trying to figure out what to do after 5 days.

kwelz
09-16-13, 08:56
My parents were just there last week for my Fathers units reunion. I am very glad they didn't stay longer like they had originally planned.

Honu
09-16-13, 09:06
Glad you are OK

hope the 1200 they report missing are just hunkered down some where safe and loss is as little as can be !

I taught boarding at Breckenridge many years ago loved that area

WillBrink
09-16-13, 09:12
Gents,
What this has proven for us is that we need to be ready to "Bug In" not out.

I have always felt the need/likelihood of bugging in far greater than bugging out, so am far better prepared for bugging in personally.

My friends in CO have not been badly effected personally yet, but said as you have, it's a serious situation.

Stay safe!

Armati
09-16-13, 10:08
To the OP, thanks for the first person update.

This disaster is just one more reality check for the Zombie Apocalypse crowd.

Bugging out has always been a fantasy. Although having a good EDC bag is a good idea to have on hand because there is no telling where you will be when disaster strikes. However, you still need a plan to evacuate if that becomes required. No one is going to bug-in against the direct threat of being consumed by fire or flood. So yes, have a bug-out plan but do not make that your primary plan.

The basics still apply. Expect NO help for the first 72hrs and be fully prepared to last at least two full weeks with little to no help.

Your local demographics are critical. Society will not collapse all at once. If you live in a fairly civil area, civility will still be the general rule. However, if are already in an area with a large degree of incivility, do not expect a disaster to bring out the best in people. All the same, do not walk around looking armed and dangerous. The local govt and National Guard may not appreciate your celebration of the 2nd Amendment.

tb-av
09-16-13, 10:20
I have always felt the need/likelihood of bugging in far greater than bugging out, so am far better prepared for bugging in personally.

Aside from Fire, Hurricane or Tornado.... if it's worse than those then bugging out you are probably screwed anyway.

I think most people would survive a lot longer in their own home than trying to make it on the streets unless it's highly localized and easily escapable.

Floods are nasty and the devastation is often very long lasting. Even the ones that are not consuming land like this one.

I heard one news report when this first started and the guy said the sheriff was trapped in his home.... I think he meant with him but could have meant in his own home but either way..... bad ordeal.

J-Dub
09-16-13, 10:26
Lesson #1. Don't live in Colorado
Lesson #2. See above

Was kinda pissed about this whole week of rain. I was really looking forward to some Smokin' Daves in Estes Park. Guess that will have to wait....for about a year.

Same goes for ptarmigan hunting.

brickboy240
09-16-13, 10:29
We cannot buy a drop of rain here.

-brickboy240

WillBrink
09-16-13, 10:35
Aside from Fire, Hurricane or Tornado.... if it's worse than those then bugging out you are probably screwed anyway.

I think most people would survive a lot longer in their own home than trying to make it on the streets unless it's highly localized and easily escapable.

Floods are nasty and the devastation is often very long lasting. Even the ones that are not consuming land like this one.

I heard one news report when this first started and the guy said the sheriff was trapped in his home.... I think he meant with him but could have meant in his own home but either way..... bad ordeal.

As Armati said, knowing the specifics of your local, both from a weather/geography and human factor is essential. The weather we experience here (NE) is most likely to force a bug in vs bug out situation, and I live on higher ground so flood not an issue for me in terms of my actual dwelling.

I live in low crime burbs, so social breakdown also very low risk. Not a survival expert, but I bet the vast majority of people are best off spending time and $$$ on bug in scenario vs bug out. I'm sure there are many who have stocked enough ammo to fight off hords of zombies, and have 2 days worth of food and water on hand. I could probably survive at least a month, maybe longer, in my house if I was careful with supplies.

Having said that, sh%$ happens, the nuke plant north of me could go boom, or an industrial accident could happen at the Army lab close by, etc, etc and indeed, may I may have a very short amount of time to leave the house, so BOB with the essentials a good idea I would think.

Jer
09-16-13, 12:20
Lowspeed... if you guys need a place we're near you in Loveland and we're high and dry (about as one can be right now around here) and have room. We also have fantastic water supply along with a whole-house RO system in case you need a place to crash. Gun friendly obviously. :cool:

kwelz
09-16-13, 12:45
Just related to this topic.

Chopper pilot charging 1200 to rescue people..

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9cf_1379295646

WillBrink
09-16-13, 12:57

Is that legal? Just a really bad example of the free market economy at work? It's a scumbag move regardless.

Jer
09-16-13, 13:21
$1200 to save your life seems like a pretty good deal to me. You want laws to make him do things for free? He could just leave his chopper on the helipad if you'd rather he did that. Would cost him a lot less money than flying it around for free all day long.

ra2bach
09-16-13, 13:22
bugging in offers more opportunities than buggin out but a flood is really a game changer. having been through one, I'd say, like any survival situation, your first survival need is clean water.

you can get water from the hot water tank even though the power may be off and it's not heating. we have two 50 gal tanks so no worries there but someone who doesn't should look into one (or two) of those bathtub bladders like the WaterBob - http://www.waterbob.com/Welcome.do;jsessionid=50F6E12570470136B56758FDC1BC1CAD

next is decontamination from waterborne illnesses. Costco and other stores of the kind sell gallon jugs in 3 gallon boxes for about $5. I have two of these boxes in the closet.

Next is power. after having spent more than a week at my home without power, I won't do that again. You might not be able to afford a big generator but any one that can power just your refrigerator and/or your TV (alternately) and a couple lights is a good thing. and of course the fuel to run it.

keep a good supply of batteries. I use rechargeables for all my daily use things but have several sets of common ones in the refrigerator.

after that, if it truly comes to a survival situation, comes the Six-Demon Bag. what's in it? you know, wind, fire, all that kind of stuff... :D

MountainRaven
09-16-13, 14:28
$1200 to save your life seems like a pretty good deal to me. You want laws to make him do things for free? He could just leave his chopper on the helipad if you'd rather he did that. Would cost him a lot less money than flying it around for free all day long.

On the one hand, you have a good point.

On the other hand...

If I see someone choking to death, I'm going to be sure that I get paid before performing the Heimlich.

Somebody getting attacked in the street? I'll dial 911 if they slip me a coupla bills. Slip me a couple more and I'll do what I can to stabilize you before the ambulance shows up.

Is your child about be to abducted off the street by a pervert? Have no fear - Pay me a couple hundred bucks and I'll save them!

Can't pay up? Well, that's unfortunate. Now you get to choke to death/get your ass beaten in/bleed out on the street/have your child abducted, molested, and murdered.

I'm sure you can understand why some folks might be a little annoyed by that sort of mercenary behavior.

Jer
09-16-13, 15:10
Giving someone the Heimlich doesn't cost you a penny. Flying an aircraft, however, does. Not everyone gets free Obama bucks to pay all their bills with.

On the other hand...

If I see someone choking to death, I'm going to be sure that I get paid before performing the Heimlich.

Somebody getting attacked in the street? I'll dial 911 if they slip me a coupla bills. Slip me a couple more and I'll do what I can to stabilize you before the ambulance shows up.

Is your child about be to abducted off the street by a pervert? Have no fear - Pay me a couple hundred bucks and I'll save them!

Can't pay up? Well, that's unfortunate. Now you get to choke to death/get your ass beaten in/bleed out on the street/have your child abducted, molested, and murdered.

I'm sure you can understand why some folks might be a little annoyed by that sort of mercenary behavior.

MountainRaven
09-16-13, 15:35
Giving someone the Heimlich doesn't cost you a penny. Flying an aircraft, however, does. Not everyone gets free Obama bucks to pay all their bills with.

Except time is money.

Training costs money.

Tourniquets cost money.

Phone calls cost money.

Ammunition costs money.

Not everybody gets free Obama phones to make free Obama phone calls with, free Obama tourniquets to control bleeding with, free Obama first aid and free Obama trauma care training, and not everybody gets free Obama ammo.

NWPilgrim
09-16-13, 15:51
Flying a helicopter in devastated areas to rescue people is not cheap nor without grave risk. There are probably many pilots who would not fly in mountainous areas in that weather and ground conditions for any amount of money. Cheap shot to accuse someone of being an opportunist for not risking their livelihood and life, at an expense of several hundred dollars per hour, all for free.

Just to check out the goodwill of local pilots, call up the airport and ask for the helicopter pilot doing free rescue flights. Probably not a huge line waiting to be called out for free.

We had a Blackhawk (PJs used to be stationed here) crash here on Mt Hood a few years ago trying to rescue some climbers. As they were hovering over the climbers a strong downdraft sent the copter into the glacier. Clear skies that day. Mountains are dangerous for small aircraft.

Many people expect others to come to the rescue. Someone may, eventually. But in most cases it will be a long time and may or may not be able to help. Rescue is far more costly and complicated than most people think. One lesson on that is to do what you can to make it easier for possible rescue, but be working on your own self-rescue plan at the same time.

MountainRaven
09-16-13, 16:56
I don't think that anybody doesn't understand that it is expensive and dangerous to operate rotarywing aircraft. And nobody is saying that pilots and operators of said aircraft should not be compensated for their time and effort. Just that it seems sleazy to some people to charge money to save lives and there is, in fact, a good reason for that; many of us are sheepdogs and pursue the sorts of training we do and carry firearms and go through the training to be competent and confident with those firearms to protect those who cannot (or will not) protect themselves, even at grave risk of bodily harm and/or death to ourselves.

As far as I'm concerned, both sides have equally valid arguments to make.

ST911
09-16-13, 17:57
Food for thought...

Where does opportunity end, and opportunism begin?

ThirdWatcher
09-17-13, 02:40
With all you have on your plate, I really appreciate your taking the time to share some of your lessons learned with the rest of us.

NWPilgrim
09-17-13, 04:00
I guess tow truck drivers should work for free?

Having been on the stupid end of a rescue, I can understand the human cry for "Someone rescue my ass!" But after I learned what the rescuers went through I was humbled at their effort, while also enlightened at just how much manpower goes into rescuing one person.

No rescue is going to be done by one kind hearted soul jumping in a truck or helicopter and buzzing right where you are. Several people have to form a team for planning, comms, pilot, ground team, etc. it takes hours dome times to gather and plan the best route and means. Then factor in poor communications and pilot could go to the wrong place and search for half an hour, fat two fat people with 14 dogs instead if one skinny dude with a cat, and landing space is a tree farm not a wheat field.

Yes, we all want a quick flight out of hell but we usually grossly, GROSSLY underestimate the effort, expense and sacrifice that others put forth to make it happen.

Anyway the OP was very kind to post such detailed info on the flood situation. Surrounded by flood or wildfire would have to be alarming situations with no apparent way out. I hope the weather clears up and gives you a break soon.

Peshawar
09-17-13, 06:00
I'm in the LA area. Lots of disasters could affect me here. Been thinking a lot over the years about what I would do given certain events. Main plan is to bug in. Hunker down and align with several sets of neighbors that are good people. Lots of junkies and freaks in my hood though. If the shtf, it's going to be a bad scene. The thing that scares me the most about my area is not the event itself, whether it's a quake or a riot or whatever. It's the fires that could result. A fire would just sweep entire neighborhoods given several scenarios. They might occur a few days into the waiting-for-rescue period as well. I have already written off trying to escape by paved road. It will be a no-go. Traffic is horrible even in the best of conditions. If there's a big quake, there will be disabled cars (and their irate, irrational occupants) everywhere on the roadways. I'd like to buy a dirt bike for this situation, and have been looking at options. But it's been a LONG time since I've ridden one, and I need to do a lot of riding before I'd really think that I'd be capable of making it out without injury or worse. Last thing I want to do is injure myself while on a dirt bike while society is falling apart.

I'm definitely tracking with the concealed pistol thing. I have no idea what the actual plans for disaster response are in LA, but I imagine that the National Guard would be called in and they would create a grid and set a curfew. No idea if this is true, but I'd imagine that guys walking around with body armor and long guns would be targeted by police and NG marksmen before they had a chance to explain themselves. Not to mention that every other desperate person that would want to do harm to you seeing that kit on a guy like me. So the obvious tactical thing is not gonna fly I don't think. If CA would allow people to have SBR's, I'd have a 5.45 krink for this kind of thing in a small backpack. Going to have to think more about this.

OP, best of luck. Hope that relief comes soon and that your loved ones and friends are safe too.

khc3
09-17-13, 08:20
Food for thought...

Where does opportunity end, and opportunism begin?

In the heart.

montanadave
09-17-13, 08:41
In the heart.

That about sums it up. Well said.

SteyrAUG
09-17-13, 16:08

On the other hand...

This isn't really a case of people in LA charging people to use their ladders to try and rescue earthquake victims from the overpass.

Sounds more like a taxi service. I don't think these guys are flying around yelling "Hey...for $1200 I'll come get you." But if you call up ABC Helo Services and say "Hey how much to come pick me up and take me to a destination?" it's gonna be $1,200 which really isn't too bad considering.

Try calling around YOUR location during a non emergency and see how much a Helo ride costs. It won't be cheap. It's an expensive mode of travel.

Moose-Knuckle
09-17-13, 16:09

Ever see the film Dante's Peak?

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-17-13, 16:47
My house seems safe for now, but my wife and I just spent the day putting together a bug-out and stocking up on some non-perishable groceries and water.

It's raining again. Steady, sustained rain. Unless you're from the West it's hard to understand how unusual this is for here. I grew up in New England where 5 straight days of hard rain was completely normal. In Colorado 5 straight days of hard rain is catastrophic. We just can't deal with it fast enough, the existing drainage infrastructure is completely insufficient.

When it rains all day we call them "Ohio" days ;)

A whole week is just nuts. This area gets about 15 inches of rain a year, most places around Denver got over 10 in the last week.

Before I moved to Colorado I didn't realize that the US had antelope or monsoons. This storm is part of the 'monsoon' flow of wet air out of central Mexico that dumps it on Colorado. Interestingly, the area is fairly small. The Denver airport, now half way to Kansas, has not seen nearly the rainfall closer to the mountains, so Denver's official rain isn't that high.

Of interesting note, it seems you have to go back to the 30s to find another storm like this. A lady who lived thru a 'gully washer' in '38 said it rained like this then and was one of the ways that the Dust Bowl ended in Colorado. Interesting since the 30s were the last time we have warming like we have had in the past 10 or so years (even though less than what was predicted by the global warming crowd). After the 30s, the 40 were actually fairly cool. Maybe this kind of storm is a last gasp of this round of global warming? Odd year for hurricanes also.

Big-in/out. I call Denver a "Hawaii" since you really don't drive to the rest of the US. Yes, you can drive out, but KC is like 500 miles to the east and you are still just in KC. To the north is ....Cheyenne? Saskatoon? Go south to ? San Antonio? DFW? Climb over the mountains to Salt Lake City of SF??? All in roads clogged with other people or stop at a FEMA concentration camp.

Get a plane or dig in.

Two small kids and 1000 miles to anyone I know..... let me think about it.

Of course, local stuff like a flood and the difference between bugging out or getting literally flushed out of your house is different than leaving a 'dead' but intact house.

decodeddiesel
09-17-13, 21:17
When it rains all day we call them "Ohio" days ;)

A whole week is just nuts. This area gets about 15 inches of rain a year, most places around Denver got over 10 in the last week.

Before I moved to Colorado I didn't realize that the US had antelope or monsoons. This storm is part of the 'monsoon' flow of wet air out of central Mexico that dumps it on Colorado. Interestingly, the area is fairly small. The Denver airport, now half way to Kansas, has not seen nearly the rainfall closer to the mountains, so Denver's official rain isn't that high.

Of interesting note, it seems you have to go back to the 30s to find another storm like this. A lady who lived thru a 'gully washer' in '38 said it rained like this then and was one of the ways that the Dust Bowl ended in Colorado. Interesting since the 30s were the last time we have warming like we have had in the past 10 or so years (even though less than what was predicted by the global warming crowd). After the 30s, the 40 were actually fairly cool. Maybe this kind of storm is a last gasp of this round of global warming? Odd year for hurricanes also.

Big-in/out. I call Denver a "Hawaii" since you really don't drive to the rest of the US. Yes, you can drive out, but KC is like 500 miles to the east and you are still just in KC. To the north is ....Cheyenne? Saskatoon? Go south to ? San Antonio? DFW? Climb over the mountains to Salt Lake City of SF??? All in roads clogged with other people or stop at a FEMA concentration camp.

Get a plane or dig in.

Two small kids and 1000 miles to anyone I know..... let me think about it.

Of course, local stuff like a flood and the difference between bugging out or getting literally flushed out of your house is different than leaving a 'dead' but intact house.

Some great points here FMCDH, I never really thought about the geographic location of Denver in such a way. I suppose the one comforting thing to think about is that outside of some sort of massive super volcano eruption or freak mid continental earth quake, all we really have to worry about here natural disaster wise are large scale fires, massive snows, tornados, or as is the case presently serious flooding which as you said does not happen frequently.

Compared to the threats costal dwellers live with; tsunami, hurricanes, costal flooding, earthquakes, in addition to the potential natural disasters we deal with in CO. I don't think we have it that bad.

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-17-13, 21:29
DUDE, its horrible here. Stop telling people it is awesome here- more of them will come and ruin it even more! ;)

I have had the pleasure of the 1,000 mile drive in one day from Denver to Chicago with a 4 and 2 year old. You start to reaaaallly hate corn...

One of the things I love about Colorado is travelling at 90 mph at 7,000 feet- and you don't need an airplane...

Every night is a new entry in the Mile High Club...

We get heat indices below the actual temp...

Snow doesn't get slushy and melt- it just sublimates away...

What I really fear is fire and lack of water- and where those two intersect. Not relevant to the current conditions- but the lack of water- and how fast surface water would get fouled gives me great pause.

HES
09-17-13, 23:24
Thanks for the update. I am glad you are okay. A buddy in Loveland has been sending me videos. Just horrible. I can't believe that Estes is still on the map at this point. :(