PDA

View Full Version : Chronograph favorites?

jcwallace
09-14-13, 21:41
So I have an old yellow Chrony F1, and I'm just not sure if the data it is recording is accurate. I use the diffusers and make sure there is about 8ft between the muzzle and the chrony.

What brands or models do you guys find accurate?

eightmillimeter
09-14-13, 22:27
We, the users, have no reasonable way to verify if our chronograph is "accurate" or not. More expensive ones claim to have less error if that is what you mean but I do not know how one would verify that. We are kind of at their mercy.

jcwallace
09-14-13, 22:33
It's most definitely true that I could not independently verify the results from a chronograph.

I was kindof hoping that maybe someone owned one of these:

http://www.neconos.com/details12.htm

and could compare against some of the cheaper ones out there! : )

Bimmer
09-15-13, 12:11
Just find somebody else with a chronograph, put them nose-to-tail, and compare results.

If they're about the same, then they're probably both accurate.

If they're different, then find a third chronograph and widen your sampling.

FWIW, I just bought a ProChrono, and I think it's great. It's stupid-simple to set up and operate, and the data seems valid.

glocktogo
09-15-13, 13:15
FWIW, I just bought a ProChrono, and I think it's great. It's stupid-simple to set up and operate, and the data seems valid.

This is what I use as well. No moveable parts, super easy to set up and use, seems accurate enough for my needs. IDPA laces the skyscreens together on three of them to chrono ammo at the Nationals and they rarely read more than 1-2 fps difference. I've compared mine to two other chronos and they all pretty well matched up. Midway has them on sale till the end of the month: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/852429/competition-electronics-prochrono-digital-chronograph

JStor
09-15-13, 14:36
I have an Oehler 35P...works for me. They discontinued it for awhile, then started manufacturing them again in or around 2010.
www.oehler-research.com

jcwallace
09-15-13, 15:24
Hmm, thanks for the suggestions! I wish I had friends that bought nice stuff.

walker2713
09-22-13, 13:47
I've owned a couple of different ones over the years, and currently have a CEDII and a Magnetospeed.

For ease of use and convenience, the Magnetospeed can't be beat. Bottom line is that I use the chrono more often whe n it's as simple as that.

In my experience, it doesn't change group size, but does alter POI, and adds about 2 1/2% to the speed, since it's measured at the muzzle rather than 12-15 feet out.

Also a plus: it's almost impossible to shoot it!:ph34r:

Magelk
09-26-13, 20:48
I have a pro chrono also and I like it. The only problem I did have was if it sits in the hot sun for a long time, it starts throwing out some whacky numbers. Shutting it off for ten minutes solves that.

308sako
09-26-13, 21:35
Stood my Oehler 35P against a small cheaper box unit. The cheap unit was spot on for the first hour of daylight and the last, during more normal hours of the day their light sensor couldn't get consistent readings of the same lot of ammo being fired. The Oehler knew what the speed was regardless of the time of day, twice over because of the proof channel.

I will say that for the casual loader, the savings may well be worth the relative slight loss of precision.

Pumpkinheaver
09-26-13, 21:59
My chrony has given me reliable service for the last decade or so, lighting is everything.