PDA

View Full Version : Armorer tools

aleca895
09-14-13, 21:52
Hello everyone, I'm the proud owner of an Armalite rifle and I am entertaining the idea of building a new AR myself. Can anyone help me with what special tools I will need, or direct me to an existing thread where this question has already been answered. I know i can "google" this, but i prefer assistance from people I know are reputable. Thank you for your help.

thopkins22
09-14-13, 22:22
Hello everyone, I'm the proud owner of an Armalite rifle and I am entertaining the idea of building a new AR myself. Can anyone help me with what special tools I will need, or direct me to an existing thread where this question has already been answered. I know i can "google" this, but i prefer assistance from people I know are reputable. Thank you for your help.

It's an ongoing quest...and almost everything on the market is trash.

You need;
1)Good solid vice.

2)A way to firmly hold the upper receiver in the vice. The clamshell type is standard, but lots of folks including myself are ecstatic with the Geissele Reaction Rod.

3)Lower receiver vice block. Most of the ones out there are actually fine, you need this to torque the receiver extension nut.

4)Assorted punches. You need these for various pins and roll pins. I also recommend the dedicated tools for two of the pins, namely the trigger guard pin and the bolt catch pin.

5)Armorer tool. The Hammerhead Rifle Tool blows everything else out of the water, but it does not include a means for the barrel nut. You'll need another one for that...and depending on the rail/forearm you choose, you may need a proprietary one. Make a bad decision here and you'll wind up screwing up or weapon or breaking the tool. Literally almost everything available sucks. If you're using a USGI barrel nut, the PRI and Smith Enterprises tools seem to do okay.

6)If you chose an upper with a fixed front sight base(and chose a rail that requires it to be removed for installation,) then you really should have the Brownells FSB orange block. It makes life easier.

7)Molybdenum Disulfide grease. The stuff you get at an auto store is fine.

8)You should have an auto punch for staking your receiver plate into your receiver extension nut, unless you're confident with a hammer and screwdriver.

9)A PDF of the armorer manual, and the ability to stop before you screw something up if you aren't confident in what you're doing.

10)A razor blade or thin feeler gauge is very helpful for installing the takedown pin detent springs.

I'm sure I'm forgetting things, but the short answer is that it's not exactly cheap if you want to do it right, but if you buy the right tools you'll have them for life.

Hmac
09-14-13, 23:03
The value of an armorers tool over the Hammerhead tool applies only if you're building with a conventional delta ring and plastic fore grip.

Personally, I'd skip the receiver vise block and go right to the Geissele Reaction Rod. I just use a mag well block for tightening the castle nut. I've found the special tool from Brownells vastly simplifies the front takedown pin install.

Buy 2 or 3 of every spring. You will likely launch a few.

F-Trooper05
09-14-13, 23:53
1) YouTube
2) Dremmel

Operator as f**k.

Eric D.
09-15-13, 00:10
This thread lays out a lot of tools you will need or may find useful.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7463

+1 for the Geissele Reaction Rod. I think they're running about $100 whereas most types of upper receiver blocks are $40-$50 but the Reaction Rod is a much higher quality tool and works much better without posing a risk of damage to the upper. Its not hard to find cases where people broke or bent their upper when torquing a barrel nut when using a traditional style block. There is practically zero risk of damage using the Reaction Rod and following proper assembly procedure. Traditional style blocks also don't work with some types of uppers/rails without modification. The Reaction Rod works with everything.

Brownells sells 'Roll pin holder' punches that make the job of starting roll pins much easier. You can get away without them but they will make the job go much smoother, especially for a beginner.

I've heard of people putting a large freezer bag over the lower and working inside of it when installing the pivot pin detent and spring - keeps the detent from flying into oblivion if you slip.

I wanted to emphasize that while building an AR is pretty straightforward, the components aren't legos and it takes some sense when putting them together to recognize when something isn't right. If in doubt, don't be afraid to ask more specific questions when you start actually building :)

MistWolf
09-15-13, 00:35
Excerpted from IGs list of tools for the armorer's course he offers

...All tools can be purchased through Brownells and it is the recommended source.

Specialized Armament also has various punches available. http://www.specializedarmament.com/p...DED-24-12.html

Complete set of steel punches- 1/16, 5/64, 3/32, 1/8, 5/32 (Starrett is preferred)
Complete set of roll pin holders-
Complete set of roll pin punches-
Nylon and Brass Hammer (1 oz.)-
Small to medium pair of needle nose pliers.
Large flat tip screwdriver or variable tip screwdriver set.
Bolt Catch Pin Punch-
Pivot Pin Installation Tool-

Instructor will be bringing a variety of specialty tools to the class, to include a vise, vise blocks, etc...

aleca895
09-15-13, 00:50
Thanks everyone. I've looked on-line and found plenty of tools and info, but if I hadn't asked, I probably would have bought a knock off tool and screwed myself from start. It will take me a bit to get these tools, but I'd rather take my time and do it right. Always open to suggestion and sound advice. Thanks everyone. I'll be sure to post my build when I get started.

Grand58742
09-15-13, 01:25
I would also avoid the DPMS or any other low grade armorer's wrench. The teeth on the thing for the castle nut stripped after barely any torque was applied.

Whatever you do, buy quality. Buy once, cry once works with tools as well.

Falcatta
09-15-13, 07:06
Don't forget a good torque wrench.

dkindig
09-15-13, 12:33
The Brownells Barrel Extension Tool is a lower-cost alternative to the Geissele Reaction Rod and performs the same function.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/barrel-tools/ar-15-m16-308-ar-barrel-extension-torque-tools-prod27452.aspx

It has a 1/2" square-drive hole in the end of it and you can clamp a short section of 1/2" bar stock in your vise, slip the Brownells tool over that, and use it just like the Geissele tool.

skullworks
09-15-13, 13:01
The Brownells Barrel Extension Tool is a lower-cost alternative to the Geissele Reaction Rod and performs the same function.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/barrel-tools/ar-15-m16-308-ar-barrel-extension-torque-tools-prod27452.aspx

It has a 1/2" square-drive hole in the end of it and you can clamp a short section of 1/2" bar stock in your vise, slip the Brownells tool over that, and use it just like the Geissele tool.
Or rather; before there was the Geissele tool there was the Brownells version. Geissele made it cool. ;)

Tapatapatapatalk

aleca895
09-15-13, 15:03
Thanks guys. If I hadn't asked, I would have been five minutes into my build with a broken tool wondering what happened. You guys have already saved me money I can apply to quality tools. I'm grateful to benefit from everyone's experience. I hope in the future I can return the favor.

Kokopelli
09-15-13, 15:08
I bought this one on sale the other day; I like it.. Ron

http://www.botachtactical.com/arm4baspsoro.html

I use this vise.. It works for small stuff and low volume heavier use..

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/511694/shop-fox-gunsmith-vise

thopkins22
09-15-13, 15:18
It will take me a bit to get these tools, but I'd rather take my time and do it right.

Excellent. This attitude tells me that you'll do great.

Blak1508
09-15-13, 21:08
Amen ^

I completed my first and second builds in the last year and I took the advise of IG and a few others here and so far my builds went off without a hitch. The tools listed at least some of them although expensive have proved priceless.

I used:
Geissele reaction rod ( if you need to use it for a while PM me and I will ship it out to you as they can be hard to come by )

Brownells roll pin set-specifically for the AR ( but not limited to) I have found that these roll pin punches are pretty good but a few were bent a tiny bit on arrival and I don't see them lasting too long a couple more builds and I will be buying a new set. A few of the roll pins can be a pain in the ass (bolt catch, trigger guard etc.) these punches make a big difference though. I would also recommend picking up a variable set of punches to have on hand

Hammer head tool- multi use tool, good for a bunch of things, MD installation, stock extension castle nut etc. It is also is great to couple this tool with a 1/2 torque wrench in which it has the square drive hole. ( if you need this for a bit also PM me) I have seen another brand of hammerhead tool and I am not sure how they compare but I just contacted Bob at hammerhead rifle tool and he squared me away

I did buy a mag well vise block and it has come in handy a couple of times but some leave much to be desired.

Black tape or gorilla tape

Hobbiest hammer-nylon and brass tip, I used a small one

Needle nose pliers

A good set of both flat head and Phillips head screwdrivers (mainly flat head and one that has a nice solid head, it makes a huge difference).

When Battle Arms Development releases the Enhanced Pivit Pin and Enhanced Take Down pin grab them, the Pivit Pin installation is a freaking dream with their new offering and all around a great addition to your build.

Front sight block is another great tool to have on hand as well as a roll pin block to drive the pins in. I would check out Brownells as they have a few specifically made for the AR which came in handy.

Head space gauge ( some overlook this but I think it's a small inexpensive tool that is very important)

Gas block tool

Anti seize grease

Transfer punch or automatic staking punch has worked great for me.

I am sure I am missing some items but these are just what I thought of off the top of my head and all have worked great for me.

In any case ask or research before you do anything your unsure of, some things cannot be undone and when dealing with the AR I would not mess around in any aspect, many things if done incorrectly could yield a chit storm, so take your time as it seems you will be doing. As I said people on here have helped me out more than some of my closest friends when I asked or needed more information after researching. Best of luck buddy.

aleca895
09-15-13, 22:21
You guys are great. Thanks so much for helping me start on the right foot. I hope that when I post my build, I don't let anyone down. So much info on tools have been listed in this thread, it should be a sticky! I promise that when I run into trouble, I'll stop and ask before I continue and not force anything. Hopefully I'll get this done before the holidays so it will be a present to myself after I spend a ton of money on the family!

Hkbeltfed
09-16-13, 05:30
I use this vise.. It works for small stuff and low volume heavier use..

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/511694/shop-fox-gunsmith-vise

Oof, check out the reviews...

Blak1508
09-16-13, 19:57
You guys are great. Thanks so much for helping me start on the right foot. I hope that when I post my build, I don't let anyone down. So much info on tools have been listed in this thread, it should be a sticky! I promise that when I run into trouble, I'll stop and ask before I continue and not force anything. Hopefully I'll get this done before the holidays so it will be a present to myself after I spend a ton of money on the family!

I thought my first build was going to take a long time, I was wrong once I got cooking the build was over. What took the longest was the fine tuning ( optic, hand stop, WML, sling, etc. but also remember everything added equals oz. and they lead to lb.. ) Do not go crazy on this in the beginning, I would recommend using irons and putting nothing on the rail, then after you realize what you want and where, it will be much easier to weed out the garden. Read product reviews, check out the picture thread etc. Doing so will help you save money in the long run but be warned you will still most likely buy things that will not make the final cut. Some things you just need to try to realize if it has a place on your build or not. But in the beginning keep it simple before you know it your on your second- tenth build.

BoringGuy45
09-16-13, 21:39
I actually built my last lower without a vice (I'm in an apartment and the vice I used before is 200 miles north of me at my folks' house :D ). Some parts are a major PITA and I don't think I'll be doing that again, but I got it together without any damage, save for a few scratches. I have a homemade pivot pin tool and a punch set, as well as a receiver extension castle nut wrench, but what I realized that I REALLY need is a pin punch starter!

Thank God I learned the easy way to have all the proper tools (the easy way being that it was a pain in the ass but I didn't break the receiver).

Hmac
09-16-13, 23:00
Vise.

thopkins22
09-16-13, 23:18
Vise.

He probably needs a vice or two if he's going to recover from the inevitable mistakes...which is what I'm sure I was talking about when I typed it. ;)