PDA

View Full Version : Fortis Rev installation without moving FSP?

Ledanek
09-15-13, 01:29
attention Fortis Rev owners

I'm thinking of replacing my Magpul MOE with a Fortis Rev 9
I've seen videos of replacing handguards with Centurion C4 handguards, but all of them involve removing the front sight post to get to the handguard cap.
Some say snip it off, I just don't see any videos on it.

Would it still be possible install the Fortis Rev 9 without messing with the front sight post, and just snipping the handguard cap?

thanks

mrvip27
09-15-13, 01:49
Its a one piece rail. Need to remove the FSB.

Iraqgunz
09-15-13, 02:15
Go the Centurion Arms website and read the installation instructions I put together with Monty. Cut the delta ring away and the handguard cap and install the rail.

attention Fortis Rev owners

I'm thinking of replacing my Magpul MOE with a Fortis Rev 9
I've seen videos of replacing handguards with Centurion C4 handguards, but all of them involve removing the front sight post to get to the handguard cap.
Some say snip it off, I just don't see any videos on it.

Would it still be possible install the Fortis Rev 9 without messing with the front sight post, and just snipping the handguard cap?

thanks

_Stormin_
09-15-13, 12:07
Its a one piece rail. Need to remove the FSB.

This is accurate.

Iraqgunz
09-15-13, 14:29
I guess I should ask what is the configuration you have now.

Ledanek
09-15-13, 14:55
just found out the hard way.

of course the A2 muzzle is pinned, can't just slide the FSP off...

or can it be slid off?
I don't have an armorer wrench or any vice around....sounds like a trip to local armorer...hopefully one close around Joliet, Aurora, Naperville, or Chicago even.

pls recommend a low profile gas block...I received my midlength MID-750-LW (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MID-750-LWC)C from Grant that should fit under the Fortis 9

jerrysimons
09-15-13, 15:24
The muzzle device will have to come off to get the FSB off.
I hear good things about Gun Doctor in Rochelle, IL
but be prepared to pay!
It might honestly be cheeper to send it to adco for their flat rate services.
You would need MD removal, Assembley and Reassembly, a new muzzle device (removal destroys the old one), and probably repinning if your barrel is <16". Probably about $200 total plus shipping.

Ledanek
09-15-13, 16:00
The muzzle device will have to come off to get the FSB off.
I hear good things about Gun Doctor in Rochelle, IL
but be prepared to pay!
It might honestly be cheeper to send it to adco for their flat rate services.
You would need MD removal, Assembley and Reassembly, a new muzzle device (removal destroys the old one), and probably repinning if your barrel is <16". Probably about $200 total plus shipping.

Ouch, Rochelle is way off 1hr from me.

removal of muzzle gives me an excuse to replace it better muzzle.

Ledanek
09-15-13, 18:24
I'm looking at the A2 muzzle, I don't see any pin in it. So I took a chance and removed it.
YEAY!!!

Now, to knock the pins off the A2 FPS
Facing down the barrel, the right side has a stamp "82" and left side "F"

which way do I knock the pin?

both side looked mushroom to me.

mrvip27
09-15-13, 18:33
I'm looking at the A2 muzzle, I don't see any pin in it. So I took a chance and removed it.
YEAY!!!

Now, to knock the pins off the A2 FPS

which way do I knock the pin?

both side looked mushroom to me.

Please tell us your current configuration of your rifle so we may better help you.

Iraqgunz
09-15-13, 18:45
We can't help you if you don't provide us more details about your configuration. If you want to go it alone, by all means sally forth.

Ledanek
09-15-13, 18:49
ok my midlength I got from Grant is this model
correction http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MID-750-C

BCM® Mid-16 (Govt Profile) will feature:

BCMGUNFIGHTER™ Mod 4 Charging Handle
BCMGUNFIGHTER Grip MOD 1 Blk
Mid Length Gas System
M4 Feed Ramp Barrel Extension
M4 Feed Ramp Flat Top Receiver
T-Marked Upper Receivers
USGI 5.56mm NATO Chambers
Independently Certified Mil-Spec 11595E Barrel Steel
Chrome Lined Bore and Chamber
Manganese Phosphate Barrel Finish on entire barrel
Mil-Spec F-Marked Forged Front Sights
Taper Pinned Front Sight Base
USGI Government Profile Barrels
HPT (High Pressure Test, per Milspec) Barrels
MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspected, per Milspec) Barrels
Bolt machined from Mil-Spec Carpenter No. 158® steel
HPT Bolt (High Pressure Tested/ Proof)
MPI Bolt (Magnetic Particle Inspected)
Shot Peened Bolt
Chrome Lined Carrier (AUTO)
Chrome Lined Gas Key
Gas Key Hardened to USGI Specifications
Grade 8 Hardened Fasteners Key
Staked Per Mil-Spec
Tool Steel Extractor
BCM® Extractor Spring
Black Extractor Insert
Receivers Machined from Aluminum Forgings 7075-T6
Receivers Hardcoat Anodize per MIL-A-8625F, Type III, Class 2
BCM® Milspec 7075-T6 Receiver Extension
USGI Mold M4 Stock Staked M4 Lock Nut
USGI H Buffer (1 USGI Tungsten, 2 Steel)
Magpul MOE Enhanced Trigger Guard
Low Shelf for RDIAS installation
Low Shelf for Accuwedge use
Un-notched Hammer compatible with 9mm use
Fire Controls marked SAFE and SEMI

it has an A2 Front Sight/Gas Block

it has an A2 muzzle which I was already removed.

I'm trying to install an 9" Fortis Rev on it. I want to keep the A2 Front sight/gas block once the Fortis is slid in.

I've remove the handguard cap and Delta ring already.

mrvip27
09-15-13, 18:51
ok my midlength I got from Grant is this model
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MID-750-LWC

it has an A2 Front Sight/Gas Block

it has an A2 muzzle which I was already removed.

I'm trying to install an 9" Fortis Rev on it. I want to keep the A2 Front sight/gas block once the Fortis is slid in.

I've remove the handguard cap and Delta ring already.

Thank you. Now this makes it easier.

So you need help now removing the FSB correct?

Per BCM:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=41732

"From speaking with customers, it seems BCM FSB taper pins are harder to remove than some others. When we do it here, we can knock the pins free in under 60 seconds.
Here are some basic pointers on the way we remove them.

1) It takes Two. You will need a buddy to hold the upper group stable as you pound out the pins. You will not be able to get a good concentrated force on the pins if the upper is wobbling around (even a little bit).

2) Action Jackson. You will need a couple of action blocks (see Brownells for a good selection). These will be great platforms to stabilize the barrel. Also get the Brownells FSB block. You may have to mod the shape of the FSB block if using a free float.

3) Installed from starboard side. Milspec FSB are drill and the reamed for taper pins. The reamer runs from the right to the left (pointing the muzzle at the bad guy). So BCM pins need to be removed from left to right. Cannot be done the opposite way.

4) Secure that carbine. Using action blocks and the buddy system secure the upper group so the left side is facing up.

5) Get a fat one. We do not use those small radius head punches to break the pins free. We use a much fatter punch (5/16”). It’s a meaty sucker. Lots to hang on to, and enables you to put some force on the hammer. Using a 5/16” punch and a 12oz hammer, give her a smack. Anywhere between 1 and 6 smacks, and the pin moves. All you want to do is to get it to move to about flush.

6) Grab a skinny one. Now get the tiny little 1/8” punch to push the pins out of the FSB. They are already broken free, this just drives the fully out. Tap, tap, tap.

7) Celebrate. You are done. "

Ledanek
09-15-13, 19:13
thank you so much....I'm going to cool down and come at it later on the garage floor.

couple scare:
--- after sliding the Fortis, it swayed up and down...momentary panic....later when all screws were tightened, zero sway.
--- forgot to wipe the carbon off while it was not on the barrel...removed Fortis, wiped, reinstall.
--- pins in, front sight, veering off to the right...panic...reset the pins, positioned the front sight...(should have left a tick mark before removing) didn't line up with the rail...could it be the rail that is off?
http://i.imgur.com/Nz06PLcl.jpg
Reset, adjust the pin, tapped in more gentle this time...
http://i.imgur.com/xFpcle5l.jpg
now lined up...going to get the Aimpoint H1 and see if it sits where it was last time.
--- now, everything seems lined up, I placed the A2 muzzle back. Had to go back and forth to get almost lined up....going to post a picture later so you can see what I mean.
http://i.imgur.com/K9SNLDKl.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/M67xh03l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1K9Phjql.jpg
Going to rest for now. Tomorrow will be another day.

Thanks to everyone.

_Stormin_
09-15-13, 23:15
Call me crazy, but IIRC you need to replace the crush washer on that muzzle device before reinstalling. They're a single use item.

Ledanek
09-16-13, 01:38
Call me crazy, but IIRC you need to replace the crush washer on that muzzle device before reinstalling. They're a single use item.

If true, where's a good site to buy that supports M4C?
If true, it's a good excuse to replace my muzzle, just not sure what's most recommended muzzle.

Iraqgunz
09-16-13, 01:51
Crush washers are a one time use item. There are multiple devices on the market. Two that come to mind immediately are the Battle Comp and the Bravo Comp MOD 0.

If true, it's a good excuse to replace my muzzle, just not sure what's most recommended muzzle.

mrvip27
09-16-13, 02:07

Depends if you want a flash hider or compensator

Iraqgunz
09-16-13, 02:16
I am curious about something. This rail uses a standard barrel nut. So why did you remove the flash hider, FSB and delta ring to install it?

Tzook
09-16-13, 07:57
I am curious about something. This rail uses a standard barrel nut. So why did you remove the flash hider, FSB and delta ring to install it?

I believe it's a one piece rail, so it has to slide on and the FSB prevents that from happening

Ledanek
09-16-13, 11:57
I believe it's a one piece rail, so it has to slide on and the FSB prevents that from happening

+1

I didn't have means to remove the entire barrel from the upper, so I have to come from the muzzle side.

Ledanek
09-16-13, 12:08
Depends if you want a flash hider or compensator

disclaimer: I'm not baiting anyone and don't want a home defense argument.

I have the rifle for SHTF or home defense. Short story: when I was in the Marine Corp I suck with handguns, and I'm comfortable knowing that.

So, the muzzle could be the same A2, since I'm familiar with it. I'm not into competition, not hunting, anything 1000, or hiding my signature at night.

I am curious with the Battlecomp 2 or BCMGUNFIGHTER Compensator Mod 0 or 1 ...as suggested by Iraqgunz

mrvip27
09-16-13, 16:46
disclaimer: I'm not baiting anyone and don't want a home defense argument.

I have the rifle for SHTF or home defense. Short story: when I was in the Marine Corp I suck with handguns, and I'm comfortable knowing that.

So, the muzzle could be the same A2, since I'm familiar with it. I'm not into competition, not hunting, anything 1000, or hiding my signature at night.

I am curious with the Battlecomp 2 or BCMGUNFIGHTER Compensator Mod 0 or 1 ...as suggested by Iraqgunz

I could link you for days. It is easy to find threads here on M4carbine and other places. Also youtube has great reviews.

Ultimately, it is your decision.

Imo, keep the A2 for now.

Ledanek
09-16-13, 17:08
I could link you for days. It is easy to find threads here on M4carbine and other places. Also youtube has great reviews.
Ultimately, it is your decision.

Imo, keep the A2 for now.

I'm leaning on that now, that I had my coffee and just paid my last credit card:D

I think I'll layoff the Barbie treatment of my AR and just take my wife shoe shopping or get some Yumz yogurt;)

anyone got spare crusher washers?

Iraqgunz
09-16-13, 18:09
So this model isn't a two piece like the Centurion one? I have one here and am still waiting for the barrel so I haven't even bothered to look at it.

mrvip27
09-16-13, 18:32
So this model isn't a two piece like the Centurion one? I have one here and am still waiting for the barrel so I haven't even bothered to look at it.

http://fortismfg.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=68

website says one piece

uffdaphil
09-16-13, 18:40
Mine is one piece. In the middle of grinding down the FSB in place as I didn't have the foresight not to have the comp pinned. Live and learn.

Ledanek
09-16-13, 19:39

I think that's what confused me when I finally ordered the Fortis.
I was done and already scouting the WTS threads for Centurions. I was looking at a Centurion FSP-cut out two pieces rail. Then SKD throws a crazy sale, and like ninjas, the Fortis arrived quickly. Adrenaline kicks in, I post one time here, and next thing you know, I'm cutting the Delta ring.

It's a good experience nonetheless, but, I'm out on a look out now for crush washer. BCM has one, but not on a $8 shipping when the washer is only $3. Yes I can buy a BCM hat, to justify that $8 shipping, but, I already have a BCM hat.

I don't need swags from BCM, wish they can ship something for what the washer's weight cost thru snail mail. :bad:

Ledanek
09-16-13, 23:19
Mine is one piece. In the middle of grinding down the FSB in place as I didn't have the foresight not to have the comp pinned. Live and learn.
oh man, I was thinking the same thing but I don't have a grinder.
ultimately, after realizing that I could remove the A2 muzzle, I have to go for it and remove the pins on the A2 FPS.