PDA

View Full Version : Looking for suggestions (first build!)...

sveesix
04-24-08, 15:17
I'm looking for suggestions on building a rifle with Home Defense and SHTF Scenario's in mind. First and foremost, the weapon will have to be reliable and consistent. Without these two traits, I might as well have a baseball bat ready.

I'm looking to build something with rail for accessories such as lights and optics, preferably a monolithic rail system such as those on the LMT and Noveske Uppers.

Is there any reason to get a "full" one piece upper instead of just a regular upper with a railed hand guard?

Which uppers are very good, but not too expensive?

For the Lower Side of things, what is the honest difference between Anvil Arms and Noveske? The Anvil Arms Lower looks to be of better finish, yet everyone here raves about Noveske.

Last but not least, what is a decent LPK?

Links would be greatly appreciated, and I will most liekly be buying this build piece by piece over time.

On a sidenote, if another AWB is passed in 2009, buying lowers now would most likely assure that I can build a complete rifle, even during a ban correct?

Thank you everyone and I look forward to a long stay at the M4Carbine.net Forums!

jgalt
04-24-08, 16:04
I'm looking to build something with rail for accessories such as lights and optics, preferably a monolithic rail system such as those on the LMT and Noveske Uppers.

On a sidenote, if another AWB is passed in 2009, buying lowers now would most likely assure that I can build a complete rifle, even during a ban correct?

You probably already know this, and I'm certainly not trying to talk you out of a rail system if that's what you want, but you don't actually need a full-on rail system to mount a light & an optic. You can get a single rail that will attach to the bottom on your standard hand guards that will allow you to mount a light and a vertical fore-grip, and so long as you get a flat-top upper, you'll be able to mount any optic you want.

Like I said, I am in no way discouraging you from getting a rail system. I only mention it as you say its your first build and you shouldn't be under the impression that you need a full rail system to mount your stated items. I too am in the process of configuring my first AR, and I just recently learned this myself...

As for a future AWB - from what I have read, I wouldn't count on being able to purchase a lower now & build or buy an upper to make a complete gun after the AWB is enacted. From everything I've read, any new AWB will have wording that will prevent that. Of course, this is mainly speculation based on the 2007 bill that didn't go anywhere in Congress. Anything written in 2009, especially if Obama wins, could in theory be even more restrictive since he would likely have an even larger majority in both chambers, and will be feeling quite emboldened to grab as many of our rights as possible...

Rant off.

My point is only that there are no guarantees, as whatever bill that might become a new AWB hasn't been written yet. Don't count on anything - get what you want before inauguration day, and work to ensure that the person taking the oath in January is McCain.

Of course, there is no guarantee that McCain wouldn't also sign a new AWB too... :eek:

C4IGrant
04-24-08, 16:50
LMT and Noveske are both high quality AR's. For LPK's, I would get either LMT's or Stag Arms.

C4

sveesix
04-24-08, 18:39
LMT and Noveske are both high quality AR's. For LPK's, I would get either LMT's or Stag Arms.

C4

I understand that, so are you saying to get a Noveske Lower instead of an Anvil Arms? For $100 the fit and finish seems like it cannot be beat :confused:

C4IGrant
04-25-08, 08:46
I understand that, so are you saying to get a Noveske Lower instead of an Anvil Arms? For $100 the fit and finish seems like it cannot be beat :confused:

It is really personal preference. If you have a Noveske upper then might as well keep everything the same.

C4

MassMark
04-25-08, 08:59
Call me particular, but if I had a Noveske upper, I'd want a Noveske lower...It's just the way I am. That being said, Jon Kruger over at Anvil Arms builds one hell of an AR-15 for the money. He stands behind everything he builds and his good reputation for quality rifles and customer service is no accident. Jon is building my AR lower and I'm so impressed with the work I've seen, that I'm having him tackle my upper as well...
The proof is in the pudding and my pudding will be here in a couple of months, but there's a lot of happy campers out there...

When we first decided to do a group buy on AR-15 receivers, (200 of them by the way), we looked at various makers and decided on Anvil Arms. Before shelling out my hard earned, I did a pretty thorough search on the WWW to try and find +/- on Anvil Arms....Jon lives in a world of positive rep and there must be a reason for that....

sveesix
04-25-08, 17:33
Call me particular, but if I had a Noveske upper, I'd want a Noveske lower...It's just the way I am. That being said, Jon Kruger over at Anvil Arms builds one hell of an AR-15 for the money. He stands behind everything he builds and his good reputation for quality rifles and customer service is no accident. Jon is building my AR lower and I'm so impressed with the work I've seen, that I'm having him tackle my upper as well...
The proof is in the pudding and my pudding will be here in a couple of months, but there's a lot of happy campers out there...

When we first decided to do a group buy on AR-15 receivers, (200 of them by the way), we looked at various makers and decided on Anvil Arms. Before shelling out my hard earned, I did a pretty thorough search on the WWW to try and find +/- on Anvil Arms....Jon lives in a world of positive rep and there must be a reason for that....

So you would agree that the fit and finish is as good as the Noveske?

I suppose all there is left to decide is what upper I'm going to purchase in the enar future.

MassMark
04-25-08, 21:47
So you would agree that the fit and finish is as good as the Noveske?

I suppose all there is left to decide is what upper I'm going to purchase in the enar future.

Well, I could agree, but I won't, as I have never held a Noveske in my hands. I will say however, that it is a superb specimen. Fit and finish is outstanding - I would not hesitate to buy or build anything Jon Kruger offers...