PDA

View Full Version : Fish oils and prostate cancer??

The_crawfish
09-15-13, 14:17
I've been taking fish oil supplements for the last year, and now I'm hearing of potential higher risk of prostate cancer. WTH?? Will, any thoughts or studies on the subject??

WillBrink
09-16-13, 18:15
I've been taking fish oil supplements for the last year, and now I'm hearing of potential higher risk of prostate cancer. WTH?? Will, any thoughts or studies on the subject??

Seek and ye shall find :D

Fish oil, Friend or Foe for the prostate? (http://www.brinkzone.com/general-health/fish-oil-friend-or-foe-to-the-prostate/)

The_crawfish
09-17-13, 19:13
Thanks man, I knew u wouldn't dissapoint...
After reading all that, (kinda hard to follow) I'm guessing you'd suggest to keep taking them??

WillBrink
09-19-13, 07:38
Thanks man, I knew u wouldn't dissapoint...
After reading all that, (kinda hard to follow) I'm guessing you'd suggest to keep taking them??

A summary vid that's less technical:

http://www.brinkzone.com/general-health/fish-oil-prostate-cancer-link-maybe/

I have no plans to give up my fish oil supps any time soon personally. ;)

Javelin
09-19-13, 11:42
Why not eat salmon 2x a week and skip the supplements?

WillBrink
09-19-13, 12:06
Why not eat salmon 2x a week and skip the supplements?

Depends on how many mg of EPA/DHA one wants. You'd have to eat a hell of a lot more salmon than that to get the doses used in the studies that find benefits.

Two, farm raised or wild caught? Both have their drawbacks in terms of actual EPA/DHA content as well as various various pollutants, etc often found in salmon and other fish not found in quality fish oil supps due to the use of molecular distillation.

So real Q is, why eat salmon to get your EPA/DHA when you can just get it from a supp of known dose and without compounds I don't want to eat?

I eat fish several times a week myself, but I don't consider it an adequate source of EPA/DHA.

Javelin
09-19-13, 13:02
For enlarging prostate I've found that daily saw palmetto supplement works really well. FYI just from my personal experience.

WillBrink
09-19-13, 13:04
For enlarging prostate I've found that daily saw palmetto supplement works really well. FYI just from my personal experience.

There's no association between fish oil and BPH to the best of my knowledge, so a moot issue in the context of this thread topic.

Brassmaster
09-19-13, 16:05
I had taken the fish oil supplement for six years. Nearly three years ago I was diagnosed with prostate cancer, went through radiation and had the radioactive seeds implanted. I am now cancer free. When I recently read that there may be a correlation between taking fish oil and prostate cancer, I quit taking it.
There is no evidence that my cancer was the result of years of taking the supplement, however, I decided I'd not take the chance. My choice.

WillBrink
09-19-13, 17:01
I had taken the fish oil supplement for six years. Nearly three years ago I was diagnosed with prostate cancer, went through radiation and had the radioactive seeds implanted. I am now cancer free. When I recently read that there may be a correlation between taking fish oil and prostate cancer, I quit taking it.
There is no evidence that my cancer was the result of years of taking the supplement, however, I decided I'd not take the chance. My choice.

See vid above and or lengthy article linked if you want something more granular/technical. As you say, your choice, but the bulk of the data overwhelmingly shows a benefit to fish oil consumption, including reduces rates of some cancers. But, everything we do, and I mean everything, has a risk to benefit to it, so one has to decide where that risk/benefit is for them. I only want to make sure people do it in an informed manner.

Good luck. ;)

SteveS
09-19-13, 19:58
It hard to tell what is science or what is just B.S. to sell product. Soon there will be genetically modified Salmon and radioactive sea life from the Fukashima nuke plant meltdown.

WillBrink
09-20-13, 09:20
It hard to tell what is science or what is just B.S. to sell product. Soon there will be genetically modified Salmon and radioactive sea life from the Fukashima nuke plant meltdown.

Yes, confusion abounds but BS to sell products is of course not unique to the supplement industry. :p

gunnar4321
09-21-13, 20:22
If it's omega 3's you're looking for, you might try chia omega, made from chia seeds. Google it dude.

WillBrink
09-22-13, 07:49
If it's omega 3's you're looking for, you might try chia omega, made from chia seeds. Google it dude.

The omega-3 (ALA) in chia seed is not the same as the omega 3 (EPA/DHEA) derived from fish. Two, ALA is in fact been correlated to prostate cancer in some studies. Google it dude. :ph34r:

WillBrink
10-05-13, 16:55
Latest article of interest. If you don't want to read the in depth discussion here's the Bottom Line from the article:

"Long-chain omega-3 fatty acids, like those found in fish oil, have well documented health promoting effects on the cardiovascular system and significantly protect against cardiovascular diseases, which remain the leading cause of morbidity and mortality in modern societies. Even if there is a slim chance of an increased prostate cancer risk, when looking at the whole picture, for majority of men the benefits far outweigh the potential risk. Thus, daily intake of long-chain omega-3 fatty acids is still recommended for health promotion and disease prevention, even for men."

Full article:

Do long-chain omega-3 fatty acids – like those in fish oil – increase prostate cancer risk? (http://www.brinkzone.com/articles/do-long-chain-omega-3-fatty-acids-like-those-in-fish-oil-increase-prostate-cancer-risk/)