PDA

View Full Version : $450: Aimpoint for 1st Build or Complete 2nd Build

HighDesert
09-17-13, 22:45
I know this is a facebookey post, but I need some insight.

Have about $450ish to spend on my next AR-related purchase and absolutely do not know which way to go. Have PLENTY of ammo and mags.

2 choices:

1) I have a gorgeous complete BCM bfh lw middy set up 100% absolutely perfectly (even rattle-canned :D) minus an RDS and have wanted to get an Aimpoint PRO to top it off. I do not have any other ARs and feel that a RDS is an eventual necessity and serious force multiplier. I feel very confident with this rifle and do consider this my primary HD weapon I would grab God forbid that situation arises. Other than that, I do not compete and use it just for range and desert fun.

2) I also have a complete lower that I have been wanting to turn into a pistol and then SBR for a while. I have always ALWAYS wanted a BCM 11.5" upper (and eventual SBR) and have the cash to go for it and they are in stock. I feel that if I don't grab the 11.5" upper now (already have extra BCM bcg), some more mass shooting shit will happen and I will be out of luck for another year on snagging a BCM 11.5"er. I assume that Aimpoints will always be available regardless of political climate.

So add a RDS or finish a build?

I honestly cannot decide and see the pros and cons on both - would like the help of some seasoned guys to get my PRIORITIES straight.

I know I can save up and eventually fulfill both wants, but given the above, which would you go for tomorrow?

obligatory pics
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm33/harry1922/5c38636b-11d1-41bd-98fd-e2d793db0bb5_zpsa0dc9e0a.jpg (http://s292.photobucket.com/user/harry1922/media/5c38636b-11d1-41bd-98fd-e2d793db0bb5_zpsa0dc9e0a.jpg.html)

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm33/harry1922/34b3b7b1-bfa4-403e-af75-dc78ea122b26_zps65e40130.jpg (http://s292.photobucket.com/user/harry1922/media/34b3b7b1-bfa4-403e-af75-dc78ea122b26_zps65e40130.jpg.html)

GUNSLINGER733
09-17-13, 22:50
Aimpoint H-1 or T-1. Order a barrel. That would be hardest part to get.

themighty9mm
09-17-13, 22:52
Id vote for an optic. You can finish one project now. Even more so seeing how it is your primary HD option. Since as funds are limited the SBR project will not be complete either way

Scotter260
09-17-13, 23:01
What will be harder to get, either from legislation or panic-buying?

I once watched $600 complete 6720 uppers on Grant's website daily for 2 months convincing myself I was good and didn't need to focus on getting funds together quickly - then, and I kid you not, THE DAY I got funds through selling off something else I went to buy and they were gone.

Given what we've just gone through, if there's something you need to make a complete firearm, that should be the priority.

SilverBullet432
09-17-13, 23:03
if you're good with your irons, then the optic is really just a want. (I'm not saying the upper isn't ) especially for a red dot. its a toughie but do consider the tax you have to pay (if you haven't already) for turning the other build into a SBR.

HighDesert
09-17-13, 23:11

I once watched $600 complete 6720 uppers on Grant's website daily for 2 months convincing myself I was good and didn't need to focus on getting funds together quickly - then, and I kid you not, THE DAY I got funds through selling off something else I went to buy and they were gone.

Given what we've just gone through, if there's something you need to make a complete firearm, that should be the priority.

That is exactly the type of stuff I'm afraid of - I've been very very lucky during the last panic and want to continue that way.

officerX
09-17-13, 23:11
I say complete the 2nd rifle/pistol/SBR. You have BUIS on the 1st one and will (should) always be able to find an RDS when you have the funds again.

_Stormin_
09-17-13, 23:15
My vote… One AR that you need (HD is a need) could use an Aimpoint.

One AR that's in the planning stage, which is a want to me, could use an upper.

I complete needs before wants. More uppers will come around. The lower is the issue with an SBR. Buy the Aimpont, and start the process for the stamp on your lower.

HighDesert
09-17-13, 23:16
if you're good with your irons, then the optic is really just a want. (I'm not saying the upper isn't ) especially for a red dot. its a toughie but do consider the tax you have to pay (if you haven't already) for turning the other build into a SBR.

I do feel very confident with irons and can do fine low light shooting with my WL (surefire m600) and have practiced such - with that said I know everything goes out the Window once adrenaline is introduced and I have never (fortunately) been tested.

Re the SBR fees, I have zero qualms shooting as a pistol for a few months to save up for the fees (and a potential year of shooting as a pistol while I wait for stamp) - it's a non issue.

Give enough time, I can eventually purchase both the upper and RDS, but it is just a question of which makes the most sense first...

Thank you for the continued opinions.

SilverBullet432
09-17-13, 23:24
I do feel very confident with irons and can do fine low light shooting with my WL (surefire m600) and have practiced such - with that said I know everything goes out the Window once adrenaline is introduced and I have never (fortunately) been tested.

Re the SBR fees, I have zero qualms shooting as a pistol for a few months to save up for the fees (and a potential year of shooting as a pistol while I wait for stamp) - it's a non issue.

Give enough time, I can eventually purchase both the upper and RDS, but it is just a question of which makes the most sense first...

Thank you for the continued opinions.

^ true, either way you would have to spend more money buying a RE which a stock cannot be attached to. like stated above, get the aimpoint and start your lower's paper work, but be warned, youll be married to that lower.

HeliPilot
09-17-13, 23:48
I'd definitely say get the 11.5 upper. Regardless of legislation or scare, Aimpoints aren't going anywhere. Keep in mind there was a mass shooting yesterday, the after effects are uncertain but another run on guns could start up again anytime. Unfortunately we live in uncertain times, purchase the potentially most difficult to acquire components first.

uffdaphil
09-18-13, 00:02
I'd go for the 11.5" first. Because it is a better HD tool and so you won't have that nagging worry about the panic recurring making it cost as much as both an upper plus an Aimpoint do now.

A RD may be preferable, but irons will still serve in the interim.

kantstudien
09-18-13, 01:39
How many lowers do you have?

Ask yourself what's going to get banned/scarce first, then go buy it first.

durus5995
09-18-13, 03:27
If your 1st build is supposed to be for HD the aimpoint will certainly help with low light now matter how good or how poor you are with your irons. What purpose does the pistol build fulfill? If you are still worried about potential bans then lower receivers are where its at.

Zirk208
09-18-13, 05:23
Not totally in line with your question, but I recently purchased an Aimpoint PRO from LA Police Gear (it was actually in stock and arrived in good time) for $365. They had a Labor day sale and 10% off of $410 really adds up. Keep an eye out if you aren't in a rush. PSA also runs occasional promo codes and sales.

My first instinct was to recommend finishing one project before starting another. However, after reading all of the replies it might be best to get your hands on the parts/upper of the SBR and get the paperwork started sooner rather than later.

SpyderMan2k4
09-18-13, 05:54
Id go with the optic. Having 2 guns is fun, but you can only shoot one at a time, so I say make that 1 everything that it should be.

Hemoglobin
09-18-13, 07:26
I would buy the optic you really want, and pay the tax stamp for the sbr. Assuming you already have the lower. Maybe you can sneak in that system before they go full blown retard.

I kind of did what you did. I bought the aimpoint pro for my 14.5 so I could finish my 11.5 build. I'm now going back and selling my pro/larue so that I can get the micro/bobro like my SBR has. In the long run I'm spending more money and I should have just chilled and been more patient.

Caduceus
09-18-13, 07:52
I say complete the 2nd rifle/pistol/SBR. You have BUIS on the 1st one and will (should) always be able to find an RDS when you have the funds again.

This.

Hard to outlaw a tube with an LED.

Ark1443
09-18-13, 08:03
I'd go with an aimpoint. Pro if that's your choice but I'd suggest a H-1 or T-1. Since you already went with a LW barrel, why not keep it as light as possible?!

I'm going to be getting next month a T-1 for my 6720 lw. A Pro would be just a little extra weight. (I'm assuming it weighs more, I've actually never compared but I know my CompM4S has more weight than a H-1 and it's of similar stature as the Pro).

polymorpheous
09-18-13, 08:22
Why don't you just buy this guy's Aimpoint LaRue combo?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=138910

strambo
09-18-13, 10:03
Get the Aimpoint and send in the paperwork for the SBR. Well before you get the stamp, you can save and order the upper.

CrazyFingers
09-18-13, 10:23
I'd have to agree with the other posters who recommend getting the upper. I've got Aimpoint PROs on my AR and AK, and I think they are fantastic optics for the money, but I don't see any legislative attempts to regulate or ban them.
Granted, as more information about the recent DC incident is made public, I see less potential for it to be spun into supporting restrictions that would impact purchasing the upper. However, the odds are still greater than zero, and since you've decided to buy both it would be prudent to purchase the item with a higher possibility of disappearing.

Korgs130
09-18-13, 11:06
My vote is for the Aimpoint. Take the balance and get some more ammo for the range.

PhuLish
09-18-13, 11:33
I say start the SBR tax stamp process. File the paperwork and pay the $200 and by the time it comes in, you'll have $250 still and whatever else you've saved up. Even at the worst of the crisis, SBR lowers were every where. Not every one has a tax stamp nor wanted to go the pistol route. Don't spend money on a pistol buffer tube when you know good and well you're going to convert it to a SBR. Put that towards a RDS

BoringGuy45
09-18-13, 12:18
This.

Hard to outlaw a tube with an LED.

Watch them.

All that needs to happen is for the next mass shooter to use a rifle (or even shotgun) with a RDS. Some liberal police chief will point out the features of the murder weapon and claim that the sight is used on the weapons that the SWAT team uses, that's used to engage targets rapidly and easily, that it makes already dangerous guns even more dangerous, and that there's no legitimate reason for any civilian to have one. Then Feinstein comes on and says that the red dot sights allow shooters sniper precision without even aiming. McCarthy claims it's another name for the shoulder thing that goes up. Some other talking head claims red dots turn rifles basically into fighter planes and can lock on to their target and give bullets heat seeking capabilities. In the new AWB bill, one of the evil features of an "assault weapon" is "an optic which allows rapid engagement of targets."

Anything gun related is at risk.

Anyway, that was a bit off topic. But I'd go with the Aimpoint; I've learned that, more often than not, if you get started on one expensive project before another expensive project is done, you're more likely to have two eternally unfinished, expensive projects rather than one completed project that is ready for use and another pending one. You'll have more peace of mind as it makes finishing the next project seem like less of a big deal. This goes for anything, not just guns.

HeliPilot
09-18-13, 13:48
Watch them.

All that needs to happen is for the next mass shooter to use a rifle (or even shotgun) with a RDS. Some liberal police chief will point out the features of the murder weapon and claim that the sight is used on the weapons that the SWAT team uses, that's used to engage targets rapidly and easily, that it makes already dangerous guns even more dangerous, and that there's no legitimate reason for any civilian to have one. Then Feinstein comes on and says that the red dot sights allow shooters sniper precision without even aiming. McCarthy claims it's another name for the shoulder thing that goes up. Some other talking head claims red dots turn rifles basically into fighter planes and can lock on to their target and give bullets heat seeking capabilities. In the new AWB bill, one of the evil features of an "assault weapon" is "an optic which allows rapid engagement of targets."

That seems a bit extreme IMO. Based off that logic of progression I suppose we should all start learning how to shoot our rifles with no sights at all. First they outlaw RDS, then hunting style scopes, then irons completely?

Any trained individual can rapidly engage targets with any type of weapon sighting system, if they aren't trained then it doesn't matter what type of optic is mounted.

Lets not drift into the land if extreme what if's.

To the OP, all I can say is take the advice given and make an educated decision that best suits YOUR needs.

CrazyFingers
09-18-13, 14:10
Lets not drift into the land if extreme what if's.

Indeed.
While anything can happen, there are very real and recent specific examples of proposed legislation that could impact or eliminate the OPs ability to purchase the upper he wants. I've seen nothing to indicate any movement towards regulating Aimpoints. Assuming he's decided to purchase both, and is proficient with irons (as he's mentioned), and doesn't seem to be in any particular immediate need of one over the other, I still think that the upper would be the better first purchase.

MistWolf
09-18-13, 14:15
That seems a bit extreme IMO. Based off that logic of progression I suppose we should all start learning how to shoot our rifles with no sights at all. First they outlaw RDS, then hunting style scopes, then irons completely?..

Were you not around when they tried to go after "sniper rifles" which was any that was "deadly accurate", including scoped hunting rifles? It doesn't mean we abandon the RDS, scope, folding stock or any other type of firearm or feature, it means we pull together and protect our rights and liberties.

Highdesert, in your place, I'd shop around with the idea getting the Aimpoint takes priority. I'd rather have an HD carbine with the Aimpoint that I can shoot than an iron sighted carbine and an AR pistol I find less satisfying to shoot. In getting the RDS, I would also come up with a plan to finance the SBR upper if worried about another parts drought.

I want an SBR, but I wouldn't sell or trade my Aimpoint to get it

Tzook
09-18-13, 14:30
I voted to get the Aimpoint, but you should absolutely get your stamp now too if you can scrape up a bit more cash. Wait times are downright stupid

RaggedEdge
09-18-13, 20:53
Believe it or not, I'm facing the same dilemma right now except no money for it yet. Also, I'm trying to buy ammo, that's number one. Since I have the second lower already, and as someone pointed out, SBR uppers were always still prevalent in the panic, I'm going to finish my first build completely before finishing buying an upper for the next. The only thing that makes me hesitate on this is this talk of them raising stamps to $500. :bad:

hamster37
09-21-13, 05:36
Get it! Have a quality optic before you run on to the next

You won't be disappointed ;)

HCrum87hc
09-23-13, 14:57
There's pros and cons to each, but I've got to agree with the majority here. Snag the Aimpoint first. In my opinion it's better to have a completed setup before moving on to the next.

levik97
09-23-13, 20:16

The EXACT same thing happened to me when I went to order a BCM lower from him. Luckily he had blems in stock and I can't find the blemish.

As for the OP, I would get spare parts for your current rifle, then the Aimpoint, then work on another rifle.

Levi

JusticeM4
09-23-13, 21:13
I vote goes to completing the upper.

DiamondD
09-24-13, 00:38
I vote get the upper. The gun you have now is perfectly functional the way it is. Another month or two and you may not be able to find that upper at twice the price.

FNS 9
09-24-13, 07:21
If your using a backup sight as your main sights you need a real optic. If aim point is what you want that's what you need to get.

TurretGunner
09-24-13, 07:31
If your using a backup sight as your main sights you need a real optic. If aim point is what you want that's what you need to get.

No you don't. BUIS have replaced the carry handle and are just fine.

Personaly, if you are so strapped for cash and don't have many guns, Skip the aimpoint and get something cheaper.

Bushnell TRS-25 or a PA microdot if you NEED a dot.
AP are barley worth half of what they sell for, and that's only when someone else is buying (gov or mil).

For the same or less money than a T1. the EXPS is a superior optic anyway.

FNS 9
09-24-13, 07:56
I guess im not in the buy a $1200 dollar rifle and put a $50 dollar optic on it club.

IMO the optics should be more important than the rifle. As long as the gun goes bang they all do the same thing, hitting the target is where the rubber meets the road.

Those cheep magpul backups and many others block most of the target when your looking at them. They also arent very durable.

IMO save up for what you want, nothings going to be banned and the prices get better everyday.

CrazyFingers
09-24-13, 09:09
IMO save up for what you want, nothings going to be banned and the prices get better everyday.

People were pretty sure about that in 1994.
Obviously the OP should assess his own needs when making this purchasing decision, and the current congressional climate makes new legislative restrictions unlikely. Pretending that there's no possibility of federal regulations impacting his ability to do so, however, would be to ignore history, both 19 years ago and 8 months ago.

FNS 9
09-24-13, 10:23
No doubt they will try again, but not for a while. I anything this has sold many guns and got the young people back into guns that otherwise might not have. IMO the ban attempt was a good thing. Except for New York and a few other places.

TurretGunner
09-24-13, 11:38
I guess im not in the buy a $1200 dollar rifle and put a $50 dollar optic on it club.

IMO the optics should be more important than the rifle. As long as the gun goes bang they all do the same thing, hitting the target is where the rubber meets the road.

Those cheep magpul backups and many others block most of the target when your looking at them. They also arent very durable.

A red dot is not a complicated optic. They are simple and should not be $600 ****ing dollars for a little dot. Yes AP are durrable and yes they have great battery life. I can buy 5 microdots for the cost of a H-1 and enough batteries to last a lifetime. Got a couple including one 4 years old sitting on top of a Sr-15.............still going strong.

uffdaphil
09-24-13, 12:23

I sure would like to see some evidence that the Magpul sights are not durable. So far 100% of the testimony I've heard says just the opposite. And trusting that "nothings going to be banned" flies in the face of efforts in California, Colorado, the east coast etc.

TheJawn
09-24-13, 19:38
Going to throw my vote and post in the sea of votes and posts-
I hate focusing on the front sight, and so do many shooters with eye problems. In my opinion, the ability to focus on the target at any range is about as essential as the rifling inside the barrel. Call me a bitch, but not having a aimpoint is like not having a lower; it's that necessary.

npthaiduong
09-24-13, 20:45
I also vote for a great optic for your AR before moving to another set up. Like someone above me said, the market price continues to go down in term of price. Get yourself a good scope or red dot, and you will be golden :D