PDA

View Full Version : SCAR Optic

shootinmedic
09-19-13, 10:19
I recently found a SCAR 17 at a great price and want a scope for it. The max I will be shooting will be 500 yards. I am looking at the Leupold VX6 in either 1-6 or 2-12. I do want illuminated reticle. Suggestions on reticle? Since this will be a multifunction rifle (duty hunting range) if I choose 2-12 which mini red dot and mounting ( Larue ?)

Tooth & Nail
09-19-13, 18:22
I think the scope and reticle choice is an issue of priorities. I'd prefer the 2-12 at the range for everything but close in speed oriented work, but for duty applications I would strongly prefer the 1-6 if there's any possibility of close encounters. Hunting is probably well served by either scope with some advantage to the 2-12 if long range work is planned. Since duty use is not an area I'd make a compromise (for the sake of something that's more optimally suited to range work, and to a lesser degree general hunting conditions) I'd choose the 1-6. I'm not real fond of the Fire dot circle, so I'd opt for the Firedot 4. An added benefit of the 1-6 is less weight (scope difference, mini red dot and mount), which should suit the SCAR nicely.

FlyingHunter
09-19-13, 19:51
I've got a year with the Leupold VX - 6 in 1-6x with red dot on my SCAR 17. I could not be happier at the versatility of the scope. It's held zero dead on an ADM mount. Lightweight, good price point, and Leupold great CS. My shooting is generally 0-300 yds. No experience out to 500 yds though. Here's how satisfied I've been...I bought a second one and put it on top of my SCAR 16.

See my hunting pic on this page: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=49025&page=32

shootinmedic
09-20-13, 13:36
Thank you for your help Gentlemen. I am looking at the 1-6 now. Since I have an Aimpoint now I will most likely go with a Larue mount for repeatable zero.