PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint Magnifier? Thoughts?

jerhelo
09-19-13, 15:24
Anyone running a magnifier? What are your thoughts, I have a M4s and a T-1 and thinking about picking up a magnifier just not sure if the 3x is actually worth $650 more dollars. I generally can shoot proficiently out to 100 yards with a RDS and ok at 200 with zero magnification. Anything beyond that I tend to reach for my 2.5-10.

How does the magnification effect the dot appearance and would you buy it again? Is it enough magnification for its application?

Hmac
09-19-13, 16:13
I've been using an Eotech G23 FTS (3X) for years and have been pleased with it. I use it with my Eotechs as well as my Aimpoint T-1 and PRO. It doesn't work great with the T-1 mainly because under magnification the 4 MOA dot gets kind of blobby, but it's not too bad with the the 2 MOA dot on the PRO and is very precise on my Eotechs which have a 1 MOA dot.

Mainly I used it for sighting in, but I have run a couple of carbine courses in the last year or so and have been very pleased with it in that role.

The current version is the G33 and I hear that it's an improvement over the G23. You can get it for $550 including mount. It may be a more cost-effective option than the Aimpoint mag.

Ryno12
09-19-13, 16:20
^ What he said.
I use my G33 with my Pro, EXPS & XPS without touching the spacer. Works great & well worth the cash.
Do a search in this sub forum with 'magnifier' in the title. Tons of dialogue on them.

Sent via Tapatalk

MountainRaven
09-21-13, 14:21
I have found that you will either like running a magnifier with your RDS or you won't. And no matter what you do with the magnifier, if you don't like it, you won't like it.

I fall into the "don't like it category". Even after using them. Even after seeing (and understanding) the benes vice a bare RDS or a magnified optic. Even after playing with a G33 behind my T-1. In fact, the G33 is probably the best magnifier that I've ever used. And I would frankly rather run a TA31 ACOG at that magnification level.

So, if you haven't, I would try it before you buy it.

walkin' trails
09-22-13, 07:55
The org I work for issued out a handfull of Aimpoint magnifiers to use with EOTech 552s. I didn't manage to get one, but hefted ARs and found they added mire weight than I personally like. Most of the guys with them like them, and they seem to work well with the EOTech. Personally, forbthe weight of the package and the cost of both a quality red dot and magnifier, to include mounts, I would offer that the money would be better spent on a high quality low power variable scope that uses the red dot/holo sight technology.

Ultimately it's up to an individual's personal preference.

Hmac
09-22-13, 08:29
The org I work for issued out a handfull of Aimpoint magnifiers to use with EOTech 552s. I didn't manage to get one, but hefted ARs and found they added mire weight than I personally like. Most of the guys with them like them, and they seem to work well with the EOTech. Personally, forbthe weight of the package and the cost of both a quality red dot and magnifier, to include mounts, I would offer that the money would be better spent on a high quality low power variable scope that uses the red dot/holo sight technology.

That's always the question - some kind of 1-4x scope vs magnifier/RDS combo. The nice thing about the magnifier is that you can take it off/put it on in a matter of seconds, as well as use it between any number of rifles. No loss of accuracy occurs, no re-zeroing required.

Airhasz
09-22-13, 10:51
If AP magnifier was not so expensive everyone with an Aimpoint would have at least one.

MountainRaven
09-22-13, 10:58
If AP magnifier was not so expensive everyone with an Aimpoint would have at least one.

No we wouldn't.

glockshooter
09-22-13, 11:42
I have used them pretty extensively over the years. I currently own one personally and had them purchased for each of my swat team members. I will say that I believe a durable 1-4 or 1-6 is a better choice for a game gun or all around purposes if it is true 1x and has daylight bright illumination. However for a rifle that is used for building clear primarily I much prefer an Aimpoint. Adding the magnifier will increase your ability to take precision shots at increased distances. We use this primarily for perimeter assignments. The only downside to the magnifier is it has a very small FOV when compared to quality 1-4/6 scopes. I think the magnifier is a great addition for anyone that uses a RDS as a primary optic.

Matt

sheperd80
09-22-13, 11:52
I'll second what was said above. Theyre not for everyone. I find the added top weight and field of view to be a deal breaker but as others have said, some people love them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

Arctic1
09-22-13, 12:46
An Aimpoint magnifier is a very good tool, as it provides the shooter with better observation capability and makes it easier to achieve a more consistent aiming point.

I prefer to have a twist off mount, so that I can put it on and take it on based off my needs in any given situation. I have used it with a Comp M4, not a T-1, so cannot comment on whether the increase in dot size is an issue or not.

A low power variable scope is a very good tool as well, but I don't think it is the best solution for everyone. I used a S&B Short Dot for a while, and really liked it, but for 90% of what I did in the mil, an Aimpoint and 3x was sufficient.

Magnification is Alpha Omega on the Battlefield, either through weapon mounted equipment, or hand held. I prefer a combination of the two; Aimpoint and magnifier in addition to 8x30R Steiner military binoculars with reticle is what I carried.

I also do not see the weight argument. A Micro T-1 with a 3x weighs in at 405 grams including mounting hardware, a Comp M4 and 3x weighs 635 grams. I don't know how these numbers stack up against low power variable scopes that are out now, but my Short Dot is a lot heavier.

PatEgan
09-22-13, 14:49
While they're clearly not for everyone, I really like mine. It's mounted behind a 2MOA H-1, and I definitely enjoy the added capabilities. I like the fact that if I really want to remove the magnifier and run the dot sight alone, I can. With a variable power RDS, you have all, or nothing. That might not be a factor for some, depending on mission requirements.

An additional benefit is using it to scan from a (relatively) safer distance, peeking into shaded areas or just inside building features like open/screened windows and doorways.
Pat

Hmac
09-22-13, 15:32
The flip-to-side on the G23 or the slap-to-side on the G33 means you don't have to use it all the time. Last course I did, I used the magnifier for the 25-50 yard courses of fire then flipped it out of the way for closer. That worked very well. Lack of FOV didn't bother me at all. The magnifier itself has a quick-detach, so in a training evolution where it's not needed, just pop it off and put it in your dump pouch.

VaeVictis
09-22-13, 17:56
I ran a 3x behind an aimpoint PRO for a while and although I liked it I found that a low power variable scope offered more for me. I've since moved to a 1-6x and find that it offers me more magnification for similar weight. I've since moved my aimpoint to a different gun and still have the 3x in a twist mount. The twist mount is nice if you want to keep your gun light but want the option to add magnification.

jerhelo
09-22-13, 18:35
all good points. I have a nightforce magnified optic but prefer to shoot with a RDS whenever possible. I can hit pretty accurately out to 200 yards but I am pretty much just guessing to a degree as I can only see an outline.

I was thinking more of getting one in a larue flip to side so it was there when needed and out of the way when not. I have a T-1 and a M4s so figured I could just switch between rifles. Still debating. Problem I see is price, weight and field of view. Benefits are use on multiple zeroed rifles, magnification, durability. Nobody locally runs them, all of my friends run either RDS or straight magnified, would be nice to try one at the range to even see if I like them before shelling out the cash. Can't get real feel in gun store...

PatEgan
09-22-13, 23:02
Whereabouts do you live?
Pat

jerhelo
09-23-13, 12:40
Whereabouts do you live?
Pat

Melbourne Florida.

trinydex
09-23-13, 15:23
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YnaP8c-bSQ

does a really good demonstration of the red dot blur from a magnifier

Hmac
09-23-13, 15:35

I disagree. That's a cheapo magnifier mounted behind a $90 Burris RDS with 3 MOA dot.

The dot image from my 2 MOA Aimpoint PRO looks nothing like that. I think the video is a reason not to use a cheap RDS and has nothing to do with people using a quality magnifier behind a quality RDS.

Ryno12
09-23-13, 15:59

Yeah, if your looking at cheap RDS's & magnifiers.

Sent via Tapatalk

PatEgan
09-23-13, 17:08
Melbourne Florida.

Crap, can't help you then. Sorry!
Pat

Krusty783
09-24-13, 07:47
What about a Vortex 3x magnifier:
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-vmx-3t-red-dot-magnifier

I have the chunky, older version (VMX-3). Better clarity than the sightmark junk, and a price that isn't too hard to accept. I haven't paid much attention to this new version, but I have no reason to doubt that it's a quality magnifier.

trinydex
09-30-13, 13:02
I disagree. That's a cheapo magnifier mounted behind a $90 Burris RDS with 3 MOA dot.

The dot image from my 2 MOA Aimpoint PRO looks nothing like that. I think the video is a reason not to use a cheap RDS and has nothing to do with people using a quality magnifier behind a quality RDS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE5TYKhd5ME&feature=youtube_gdata_player

jerhelo
09-30-13, 13:50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE5TYKhd5ME&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I broke down and ordered a aimpoint magnifier this week with a larue flip to side. I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for but it was hard for me to spend this much money considering what the item even is. There is no worry about loss of zero, just durability and clarity. Considering how much I plan to use it I think the clarity and durability being slightly higher on the aimpoint were my deciding factors. I am putting it on my version 1 DD rifle so I am going to have lose the fixed rear sight I liked so much and use my spare folding KAC sight. Small sacrifice but still a sacrifice.

My friends brother is coming in for a visit and he has a bushnell magnifier so I will be able to compare the two next week. Thanks for all of the responses. Will post thoughts later.

trinydex
09-30-13, 13:55
I have an aimpoint micro with a 3x magnifier from aim point in a LaRue Mount. I would not discourage anyone from getting the set up. I'm just posting information on the product choice.

jerhelo
09-30-13, 14:06
I have an aimpoint micro with a 3x magnifier from aim point in a LaRue Mount. I would not discourage anyone from getting the set up. I'm just posting information on the product choice.

I got that from your earlier message. Just clicked quote on yours. The video was informative. I had a lot of apprehension spending that much money to have a two piece optic system originally. But considering now I have three aimpoint RDS's it makes a lot of sense having at least one magnifier. I almost bought the standard twist mount from aimpoint and figured I would buy a few additional bases so I could just remove the entire magnifier but was afraid of losing the damn thing. the larue is easy enough to swap between rifles. Thanks for the reply.

trinydex
09-30-13, 14:19
the larue is easily the best pivoting mount. even as a left hander I don't find that it blocks peripheral vision.