PDA

View Full Version : Colt LE6920 or S&W M&P15 MOE?

Meibanfa
09-19-13, 17:04
I am considering purchasing one of the two rifles above but would like to get some input before I do. CDNN has the Colt listed for $1099 and the S&W for $929. My question is the Colt worth the additional $170?.

I am not a special anything and the rifle would be used on the range, possibly as a home defense weapon for my wife and in classes. I would like it to be durable and reliable, but I won’t pretend that it will see 10 of thousands of rounds. This rifle will probably see a little more than a 1,000 rounds a year unless I have a financial windfall, at which point a new rifle would probably be in order.

I spend time here trying to get educated but I don’t claim any special knowledge or skills. I do know that a lot of the site members think that Colt makes a top notch rifle and that S&W seems to be closing the gap.

Neither rifle is a stretch financially, but the S&W looks like it is pretty comparable for $170 less. I just don’t want to regret my purchase a year or two from now.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

~kev~
09-19-13, 17:07
Price seems a little high for a M&P.

Go with the 6920, it is probably one of the best buys on the market.

Voodoo_Man
09-19-13, 17:08
Both are good rifles.

Both rifles will work for a long time with no issues.

dagored
09-19-13, 18:28
Colt. You will not regret it.

RazorBurn
09-19-13, 18:38
No brainer, buy the Colt!

youngAR
09-19-13, 18:40
Depends on what you want. The M&P has a 1/8 twist, a midlength gas system and a standard barrel (no grenade cut). The Colt is a proven manufacturer with different style barrel, 1/7 twist, and carbine gas system.

crusader377
09-19-13, 18:44
I think it is a very tough decision although I would probably lean slightly toward the S&W. Even though the colt is the gold standard among ARs, the S&W is still a quality rifle and the S&W listed at CDNN is one of their mid length MOE rifles which use the more sensible midlength gas system for the 16" barrel and more importantly use a lightweight profile barrel which makes more sense than the M4 profile barrel on the colt.

Vulture38
09-19-13, 18:47
I think either way you are going to be pleased.

JusticeM4
09-19-13, 18:49
I would suggest the Colt6920 and call it a day.

But If you really wanted the midlength gas system and save a little $, the S&W is still a good rifle. Personally my choice would go with the Colt though.

uffdaphil
09-19-13, 18:54
M&P is a fine pistol. I have two. Ditto with Smith J Frames. And again with two 15-22's. So no Smith hater here. But after much research there are three 6920's in the safe and no S&W ARs.

ucrt
09-19-13, 19:00

The S&W is at the bottom of the "acceptable" AR's.

But maybe it's just me....

jcwallace
09-19-13, 19:05
If this colt 6920 has the new Rogers stock, then that would be an additional plus for the colt. I got my 6920 several years ago and it had the standard M4 stock, which I just replaced with a different stock. Not a huge deal, but take $ to do.

09-19-13, 19:19
Colt.

KLR_Redux
09-19-13, 19:24
I went through the exact calculation a while back. You are better off with the Colt. I have an early 15T, a 6920 MOE, and an LMT Lower with 6920 MOE upper. The little bit extra for the Colt (specifically the testing of the bolt, etc.) was worth it to me.

My 15T actually has an HPT/MPI bolt, but the gas key was poorly staked. Had it re-staked. Colt was GTG out of the box.

Javelin
09-19-13, 19:40
Colt over S&W anyday. Especially if you plan to sell it anytime in the future.

Ouroborous
09-19-13, 19:42
The answer is Colt.

C4IGrant
09-19-13, 20:05
The S&W M&P MOE is my baby so I am a fan of it. With that said, the Colt will hold its value better so go with it.

We also have the LE6920 in stock. :D

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6920

C4

TBomb
09-19-13, 20:06
I'm going to be one of the few who says "it depends." I had a S&W M&P 15T and now have a Colt LE6940. The S&W guns are not bad, there are certainly many worse options out there. The combination of the barrel profile and mid-length gas on the M&P are both attractive unless you plan on chopping the barrel on the Colt. The 1:8 vs 1:7 rifling is kind of moot IMO, and honestly 1:8 might be a more forgiving all-around option, but it's not "mil spec" so some will automatically dismiss it. The only areas I am aware of where the M&P differs from the Colt as far as "the chart" is concerned are the barrel and the M4 cut feedramps. The bottom line is that both are good options, one is the almighty Colt, and one is not, but pick the one that best suits your needs and budget and make your decision based on that. Just my $.02, so take it for what it's worth.

El Cid
09-19-13, 20:20
I went through the exact calculation a while back. You are better off with the Colt. I have an early 15T, a 6920 MOE, and an LMT Lower with 6920 MOE upper. The little bit extra for the Colt (specifically the testing of the bolt, etc.) was worth it to me.

My 15T actually has an HPT/MPI bolt, but the gas key was poorly staked. Had it re-staked. Colt was GTG out of the box.

My 6920 arrived completely unstaked and I had to ship the BCG to Colt so they could stake it. Anyone can have one slip through QC.

OP, I'd say flip a coin. Or just get the Smith and put the $170 towards ammo or an optic. The mid gas Smith will shoot softer since you mentioned your wife will use it. If she isn't a "gun" person that may help keep her interest. The lighter profile bbl may favor her as well. I'm totally guessing here as she could be a crossfit champ or a 3 gun master for all I know. Lol!

As others stated - you really can't go wrong with either.

SteveS
09-19-13, 20:32
The Colt is by far a better value.

Ark1443
09-19-13, 20:35
Colt, naturally.

DiamondD
09-19-13, 20:41

The S&W is at the bottom of the "acceptable" AR's.

But maybe it's just me....

You are probably well aware that you are in the majority there. Do you own a S&W?

ETA: To the OP either will be worth the money. I will say the Colt will be easier to resale untill the next panic, in which case an Oly will sell for a lot! 8-)

PatrioticDisorder
09-19-13, 20:43
Nothing wrong with the M&P, but I'd go Colt 6920... This coming from a guy who owns only M&P handguns...

ucrt
09-19-13, 21:25
You are probably well aware that you are in the majority there. Do you own a S&W?

ETA: To the OP either will be worth the money. I will say the Colt will be easier to resale untill the next panic, in which case an Oly will sell for a lot! 8-)

=========================

Don't own a S&W now but I have.

I was just insinuating that an S&W is OK (acceptable), so you wouldn't be too far off with one ... but it does come up "short" compared to the Colt.

If I was going to get an S&W, it would be the MOE midlength but first I'd have some variation of the Colt LE6920.

Meibanfa
09-20-13, 00:54
after the surprising number of replies, with the majority supporting the Colt that is what I am going to get. Grant at G&R Tactical is very competitive price wise and a big supporter here, so as soon as I can get squared away with an FFL on my side I will purchase the Colt through G&RT.

The most appealing feature of the S&W is the mid length gas system and the light weight barrel. I will start saving my pennies and covertly diverting money from my daughters college fund (she should be a psychic anyway, she already knows everything that has and will happen) to buy an upper with a midlength gas system and lightweight barrel to put on the Colt.

Thanks to everyone for their input and advice. I really wanted the S&W, but I was having trouble with my practical justification of the Colt. So the correct approach will be to start with the Colt and accessorize as I can afford to.

Again, thanks for all of the advice,

Regards,

Rick

Javelin
09-20-13, 02:01
Good choice. You're not going to regret getting the Colt. You will however might not have the same feeling in 6 months with the S&W.

Iraqgunz
09-20-13, 02:47
Though the mid length sounds appealing (and when it is made correct) it certainly is, the last S&W I fired a few months back was pretty overgassed. In fact it ran with an H3 buffer and blue Springco spring. That was with a variety of 5.56 ammo and some markm handloads that were between 5.56 and .223.

after the surprising number of replies, with the majority supporting the Colt that is what I am going to get. Grant at G&R Tactical is very competitive price wise and a big supporter here, so as soon as I can get squared away with an FFL on my side I will purchase the Colt through G&RT.

The most appealing feature of the S&W is the mid length gas system and the light weight barrel. I will start saving my pennies and covertly diverting money from my daughters college fund (she should be a psychic anyway, she already knows everything that has and will happen) to buy an upper with a midlength gas system and lightweight barrel to put on the Colt.

Thanks to everyone for their input and advice. I really wanted the S&W, but I was having trouble with my practical justification of the Colt. So the correct approach will be to start with the Colt and accessorize as I can afford to.

Regards,

Rick

Bello
09-20-13, 05:03
I have the colt no qualms with it

Koshinn
09-20-13, 05:30
Though the mid length sounds appealing (and when it is made correct) it certainly is, the last S&W I fired a few months back was pretty overgassed. In fact it ran with an H3 buffer and blue Springco spring. That was with a variety of 5.56 ammo and some markm handloads that were between 5.56 and .223.

My s&w mid didn't cycle PMC bronze .223 with springco blue spring and an H buffer. It cycled 193 perfectly.

This is a sample size of one, so take it with a grain of salt.

jondoe297
09-20-13, 07:43
I was faced with the same decision recently. I went with the S&W, and I have no regrets. Either way you go, I'm sure you'll be happy with the product.

HCrum87hc
09-20-13, 15:35
Good decision. You'll be quite pleased with the Colt and with Grant's service. Enjoy your soon to be new purchase.

BillyJack2012
09-20-13, 18:54

Regards,

Rick

So you're going to choose the Colt so you can save more money to build it to the specs of the S&W?

BOOSTjunkie
09-21-13, 10:28
I would go with the colt also. Is a mid length gas system that import to you?

Roklok
09-21-13, 12:00
S&W M&P Sport is hard to pass up when they are going for $569 at the local gun shop.

Javelin
09-21-13, 12:11
S&W M&P Sport is hard to pass up when they are going for $569 at the local gun shop.

Not for me. I have bought too many "specials" and regretted them later as I just buy what I wanted to begin with later and the "specials" just sits and takes up space in my gun safe. I can't be alone on this.

ucrt
09-21-13, 12:45
...I will purchase the Colt through G&RT.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Good choice from a good dealer.

Just remember, the Colt's barrel ruptures firing 300 rounds non-stop full auto … so, be careful... ;)

I wonder what the S&W’s fa limitation would be???…

But maybe it’s just me…

BangBang77
09-21-13, 13:42
WTF, over????