PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Fans..............Master 1911 smith Ron Phillips new shop

SCULLY
04-25-08, 13:16
Just a heads up for Mr Ron Phillips new shop, former Master smith at Wilson Combat and then one of the start up guys at Nighthawk Custom, has started his own shop. His website is just getting going, here is the website.....http://www.phillips1911.com/ . Thought some of you might be interested.

sff70
04-25-08, 15:10
Obvious question is, why did start up his own shop?

varoadking
04-25-08, 19:41
Wonder if Jeff anf Jared Phillips went with him too?

Army Chief
04-26-08, 00:55
Obvious question is, why did start up his own shop?

Not to be caustic, but I do find that to be a relevant question; especially in the world of custom pistolsmithing, where you're investing in the man, as much as in his handiwork. Is there a back story here? New leadership at Nighthawk? Can little Berryville really support the presence of three separate premier 1911 operations without fights constantly breaking out in the Wal-Mart/church/American Legion parking lots? LOL

Chief

STS
04-26-08, 12:45
Interesting, especially considering all the reports of Nigthhawk QC problems that have been popping up over the last year - and the fact that both Vickers and 10-8 have discountinued their pistol models with Nighthawk.

harrydog
04-28-08, 12:55
I've heard of a decline in QC at NightHawk also.
Ron Phillips did the majority of the work on my Wilson Tactical Elite and that was an excellent pistol, as smooth as anything I've encountered. I wish him luck. Hopefully he'll be offering complete guns rather than just smithing on customer provided guns.
For what it's worth, Wilson went through a period of some QC problems a few years ago but now they seem to be back to where they should be in that regard. Vic Tibbets being back may have something to do with that.