PDA

View Full Version : Former US Army Captain to receive Medal of Honor

SeriousStudent
09-19-13, 22:27
http://www.businessinsider.com/will-swenson-to-receive-medal-of-honor-2013-9#ixzz2fNaaS2La

I am so very delighted to read this.

Like some of you, I read Marine Sgt Dakota Meyer's book "Into the Fire".

http://www.amazon.com/Into-Fire-Firsthand-Account-Extraordinary/dp/0812983610

In the final chapter, he makes the case that Army Captain Will Swenson should have also been decorated for his heroism with the Medal of Honor. Sgt Meyer has spoken publicly regarding this many times, often to the discomfort of senior officers. Captain Swenson left the Army after the action in which he fought.

Captain Swenson, this is long overdue, Sir. My very best regards to you, your fellow warriors, and the US Army.

ABNAK
09-20-13, 01:28
IIRC he made some disparaging remarks in an after-action report (?) about the denial of supporting fires. Ruffled a few feathers apparently and ostensibly led to his not getting the MoH in the first place.

Good for him. He deserves it.

Javelin
09-20-13, 02:03
Glad to see right was made right :)

decodeddiesel
09-20-13, 08:37
I've read of the Captain before. I'm glad to see he will be recognized for his actions.

kcara
09-20-13, 10:43
I am glad to hear this good news. He deserves it.

T2C
09-20-13, 10:57
Bravo Zulu!

SeriousStudent
09-20-13, 18:45
IIRC he made some disparaging remarks in an after-action report (?) about the denial of supporting fires. Ruffled a few feathers apparently and ostensibly led to his not getting the MoH in the first place.

Good for him. He deserves it.

I had read the same thing, that he had this horrible attack of honesty, and called the problems to people's attention. That does bring scrutiny by most organizations, but rarely in a way that benefits the one reporting the problem.

ABNAK
09-20-13, 19:28
I had read the same thing, that he had this horrible attack of honesty, and called the problems to people's attention. That does bring scrutiny by most organizations, but rarely in a way that benefits the one reporting the problem.

The article I read was around the time Dakota got the MoH. It shows an officer who was very frustrated that his urgent requests for CAS/arty/whatever were fumbled and at times flat-out denied. He apparently got out of the Army very bitter about the whole thing. In fact, it was alluded to in the article that this was the main reason for his return to civilian life.

Knowing what you said to be true about the scrutiny and all he nevertheless laid it bare and it wasn't received well.

BTW, saw on TV last night that there is video of him during the fight taken by helmet cams of the medevac crew. He is helping a SFC shot through the throat (who died 29 days later from complications) into the bird and he kisses him on the forehead and pats the side of his head. Very moving. The dude was a leader who cared about his men, including the Afghans they were overseeing.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
09-20-13, 20:30
The article I read was around the time Dakota got the MoH. It shows an officer who was very frustrated that his urgent requests for CAS/arty/whatever were fumbled and at times flat-out denied. He apparently got out of the Army very bitter about the whole thing. In fact, it was alluded to in the article that this was the main reason for his return to civilian life.

Knowing what you said to be true about the scrutiny and all he nevertheless laid it bare and it wasn't received well.

BTW, saw on TV last night that there is video of him during the fight taken by helmet cams of the medevac crew. He is helping a SFC shot through the throat (who died 29 days later from complications) into the bird and he kisses him on the forehead and pats the side of his head. Very moving. The dude was a leader who cared about his men, including the Afghans they were over.seeing

Brought a big ol tear to my eye.

Hoorah Cpt Swenson, well earned!

SkiDevil
09-21-13, 02:36
Video link: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H2l0ZpPoS_4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DH2l0ZpPoS_4

Yeah, I am not ashamed to say it brought a tear to my eyes as well. The soldier in the video is Sgt. Westbrook and it was very moving to see such a thing. It is ironic how the best of many shines through in the worst of times.

Captain Swenson is a hero and patriot. He deserves the Medal of Honor for his selfless actions.

Todd00000
09-21-13, 04:12
Very good news!

Safetyhit
09-21-13, 07:36
A spectacular story about an equally spectacular man. Beyond impressive.