PDA

View Full Version : MaTech BUIS removal & installation

Slater
09-20-13, 09:48
I looked up the Army TM online as the manual said squat about this. According to the TM, if you remove the BUIS then a new recoil screw must be obtained before the sight is reinstalled. It has a NSN (5305-01-484-7075), but has anyone had any luck finding a suitable substitute at the local hardware store?

decodeddiesel
09-20-13, 10:13
I removed and re-installed my Matech sight on my issued M4 a number of times for "deep cleaning". I never replaced the screw.

As an engineer I can't possibly imagine why you would need to replace that fastener every time it is tightened, especially at the torque levels a small machine screw like that is going to encounter.

I think you're completely fine to not-replace the screw.

Slater
09-20-13, 10:20
That's cool. The TM says this:

"Recoil screw is mandatory replacement when removed. There is a locking patch on threads of screw."

That's what made me think you had to have a new replacement screw.

JBecker 72
09-20-13, 10:27
It's probably just saying that because the original bolt has thread lock applied. Just use some medium strength blue thread lock and call it good.

scoutchris
09-20-13, 11:04
I looked up the Army TM online as the manual said squat about this. According to the TM, if you remove the BUIS then a new recoil screw must be obtained before the sight is reinstalled. It has a NSN (5305-01-484-7075), but has anyone had any luck finding a suitable substitute at the local hardware store?

As someone who served in the Army, I can assure you that the TM's regarding equipment are not the most accurate, logical, or efficient books to be reading and learning about your stuff. You're G2G.

Slater
09-20-13, 12:13
I used Tech Orders (on munitions) for 20 years in the Air Force. I agree that sometimes they leave something to be desired. I think they go a bit overboard on replacement parts, possibly in the name of trying to make sure that nothing could possibly go wrong.

Iraqgunz
09-20-13, 14:23
The simplest explanation is that they don't expect the average Joe to be smart enough to get retaining compound and reapply it to the screw which may result in loosening and loss zero.

JBecker 72
09-20-13, 15:48
The simplest explanation is that they don't expect the average Joe to be smart enough to get retaining compound and reapply it to the screw which may result in loosening and loss zero.

My friend works for lockheed assembling items for nuclear subs. She had to take a 2 day class on how to properly apply thread locker to fastners. 2 days. :rolleyes:

ramairthree
09-20-13, 15:49
As someone who served in the Army, I can assure you that the TM's regarding equipment are not the most accurate, logical, or efficient books to be reading and learning about your stuff. You're G2G.

What he said.

I remember studying my SQT manual in the 80s where the author kept referring to a 1911 as a revolver and some other choice items of genius.

556Cliff
09-20-13, 16:24
My friend works for lockheed assembling items for nuclear subs. She had to take a 2 day class on how to properly apply thread locker to fastners. 2 days. :rolleyes:

I could see that.

rarely have I ever seen someone apply thread locker correctly, and then when they are done with there less than half ass application it usually fails.