PDA

View Full Version : American hero praised in Poland

montrala
09-20-13, 14:41
I just wanted you guys to know that in Poland hot topic is heroic action and death of Staff Sergeant Michael Ollis. Teamed with Polish 2nd lieutenant Karol Cierpica they were inside hardest fight to stop all out Taliban assault on Ghazni base on 28th of August. Our soldier get multiple minor wounds from enemy fire and suicide bombers blasts, while sgt Ollis died covering his back when he killed suicide bomber and shielded his Polish ally from fire and then the blast (most assaulting Taliban troops where rigged with suicide bombs).

Polish Ministry of Defence honored sgt. Ollis with Army Gold Medal (highest Polish military honor for foreign citizens or Poles living abroad) and Polish Presided honored him with Afghanistan Star (awarding is sole discretion of President on his own decision or from recommendation of MoD or MoIA).

JW5219
09-20-13, 16:52
God bless SSgt Ollis and Lt. Cierpica. Thank you for posting this.

dhrith
09-20-13, 17:14
Thank you, Hadn't heard about it.
charlie mike

Brimstone
09-20-13, 17:20
God bless SSgt Ollis and Lt. Cierpica. Thank you for posting this.

This +1

Here is a link:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/09/18/report-s-i-soldier-died-shielding-polish-officer-from-suicide-bomber/

Ned Christiansen
09-20-13, 17:28
Yeah, great post! And.... continuing a tradition you might say:

General Thaddeus Kosciuszko 1746 - 1817
Hero of America and Poland

http://www.polishamericancenter.org/Kosciuszko.htm

I was in the Federal Building in Chicago this summer and on a bronze plaque is an awesome quote from Kosciuszko, to the effect that it if he died for freedom, it made no dif if it should be here or in Poland, the idea was that it was worth fighting for on any battlefield. Something like that.

VLODPG
09-20-13, 18:01
John 15:13

SeriousStudent
09-20-13, 18:36
Thank you very much for posting this, it's a very kind and thoughtful act from our friends in Poland.

Kokopelli
09-20-13, 18:49
Indeed!

Thank you very much for posting this, it's a very kind and thought act from our friends in Poland.

ABNAK
09-20-13, 21:38
Thanks for posting this.

Read the link....another fine example of a warrior's fighting spirit. Our best we sometimes never get back. :angry:

chuckman
09-21-13, 09:35
A Brother is a Brother despite uniform or language.

Frailer
09-21-13, 10:33
Thanks very much for sharing this.

jaxman7
09-21-13, 13:15
Montrala,

Thank you for sharing this man and I also appreciate the comments you made in the 9/11 thread recently. Nice to know we have a friend in Poland.

-Jax

SeriousStudent
09-21-13, 13:22
Montrala,

Thank you for sharing this man and I also appreciate the comments you made in the 9/11 thread recently. Nice to know we have a friend in Poland.

-Jax

Yes, we have some very, very fine friends in Poland. If you have a chance, you should read Kyle Defoor's comments on his associations with GROM. He accords them a great deal of respect, and gives them very high praise as warriors.

That speaks volumes to me, regarding our NATO allies the Poles. I'd be honored to offer them a cigar and raise a glass as well.

7.62WildBill
09-21-13, 13:39
Thanks for the link and God bless the fallen.

Growing up in Chicago, we had Casimir Pulaski Day off from school. Another great Polish hero of the Revolutionary War.

"Following a recommendation by Benjamin Franklin, Pulaski emigrated to North America to help in the cause of the American Revolutionary War. He distinguished himself throughout the revolution, most notably when he saved the life of George Washington. Pulaski became a general in the Continental Army, and created the Pulaski Cavalry Legion and reformed the American cavalry as a whole. At the Battle of Savannah, while leading a daring charge against British forces, he was wounded, and died shortly thereafter.

He has been remembered as a hero who fought for independence and freedom both in Poland and in the United States. Numerous places and events are named in his honor, and he is commemorated by many works of art. Pulaski is one of only seven people to be awarded honorary United States citizenship."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir_Pulaski

Ned Christiansen
09-21-13, 13:53
I think it was Pulaski whose quote is in the Federal Bldg.

(edit) Yup:

"I came here, where freedom is being defended, to serve it, and to live or die for it,"

General Casimir Pulaski

montrala
09-22-13, 11:14
It was heavy attack. Heaviest direct assault on NATO base. It could end up much worse. It did not thanks to strong resistance of Polish and US soldiers inside base, who manged to contain breach and push back.

But do not forget about fast responce of Afghan Police who came to aid and fighted outside base. Actually Police took heaviest loses. I know that quality of ANA is often discussed, but guys here said that Police where fighting really hard and were great aid. They should do Police work, not fighting all out military assault. They managed to stop additional trucks with explosives that were headed to make another breach into base (this is when Police suffered bigest loses).

Thanks for good words of our mutual Polish and American heroes Kociuszko and Puawski. Our history together goes long back in time. Even in commie times, Soviet plans were to send Polish troops in area that they will unlikelly fight US troops directly. They were affraid that Polish soldiers could be mistaken and threat Americans as friends and join them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CodeRed30
09-24-13, 00:14
RIP brother. Glad to see his sacrifice is honored by the Pols

CodeRed30
09-24-13, 00:15
RIP brother. Glad to see his sacrifice is honored by the Pols

Aries144
09-24-13, 00:37
Thanks to you Montrala and your countrymen. Your input here is always welcome.

Moose-Knuckle
09-24-13, 02:24
Great post, sadly our media doesn't cover such events.

montrala
09-24-13, 05:34
Great post, sadly our media doesn't cover such events.

Every Polish main stream media covered that. Left ones, right ones, even tabloids.

According to accounts published in media, ssgt Ollis joined 2nd lt Cierpica when Pole was already wounded in leg but still fighting. They fighed together and then they joined group of Special Forces soldiers (probably Polish) who already killed 8 Taliban attackers / suicide bombers. When from behind some containers emerged Talib who throw a grenade, group directed their fire toward him. Then suicide bomber showed up behind group. ssgt Ollis noticed new threat and grave danger to wounded Polish officer who was firing other way. ssgt Ollis moved to shield Pole from the blast and died when suicide bomber blow up his charge. 2nd lt Cierpica got some additional wounds but he was able to stay in fight.

montrala
02-04-15, 06:50
This story did not end and memory of ssgt Ollis will pass to next generation:

http://www.armytimes.com/story/military/2015/02/03/ollis-namesake-son-cierpica/22794087/

Dienekes
02-04-15, 10:33
Kosciuszko's Advice to a Youth

To do honor to your family and yourself and at my recommendation, you must reread what follows every day so that it will be engraved on your memory on which your well being will depend.

Rise at four in the summer and six in the winter. Your first thoughts must be directed towards the Supreme Being; worship Him for a few minutes. Set yourself to work with reflection and intelligence, either at your prescribed duty carried out in the most scrupulous manner, or perfect yourself in some science in which you should have true mastery. Avoid lying under any circumstances in your life, but always be frank and loyal and always tell the truth. Never be idle but be sober and frugal even hard on yourself while indulgent to others. Do not be vain nor an egotist. Before speaking or answering on something, reflect and consider well in order not to lose your point and say something stupid. Never fail to give due recognition under any circumstances to the person who is in charge of your well being. Anticipate his desires and his wishes. Pay close attention with proper humility. Look for an opportunity to be useful. As you are a foreigner in the country, redouble your concern and efforts to gain trust and preference over the natives legitimately by your merit and superior knowledge. If a secret is entrusted in you, keep it religiously; in all your actions you must be upright, sincere and open; no dissimulation in your speech, do not argue but seek the truth calmly and with modesty, be polite and considerate to everyone, agreeable and obliging in society, humane and helpful to the unfortunate according to your means. Read instructive books to embellish your mind and improve your spirit. Do not degrade yourself by making bad acquaintances, but rather those with high principles and reputation thus your conduct should be such that the whole world approves it and that wherever you may be it will be considered irreproachable.

T Kosciuszko

SeriousStudent
02-04-15, 22:17
This story did not end and memory of ssgt Ollis will pass to next generation:

http://www.armytimes.com/story/military/2015/02/03/ollis-namesake-son-cierpica/22794087/

Now that is a tribute. I know it must have brought a happy tear to the eyes of SSG Ollis's family. It's like they have a new godson to watch over in Poland. I do hope the families stay in touch.

What a fine thing to do.

jpmuscle
02-04-15, 22:22
Amazing stuff. Thank you for sharing

montrala
02-05-15, 03:22
Here we see it as kind on normal thing. Young Michael (Michał in Polish) would not have a chance to come to this world if not for SSG Michael Ollis sacrifice, when fighting for better future for all our kids. We Poles are "warrior tribe", we understand those things.

SeriousStudent
02-05-15, 22:41
Here we see it as kind on normal thing. Young Michael (Michał in Polish) would not have a chance to come to this world if not for SSG Michael Ollis sacrifice, when fighting for better future for all our kids. We Poles are "warrior tribe", we understand those things.

All the more reason to celebrate it, so it remains a normal thing.

Thanks again for the update, it made me smile.

montrala
02-06-15, 04:51
Closest thing to immortality human being can reach is to live on in hearts and minds of next generation. That is why we cherish memories of our heroes, those who get their victories and even more those who had fallen trying, so much here. SSG Michael Ollis become one of those immortal heroes who will live in hearts and minds here. Not in one family kids will hear his story.

And mental picture of him fighting literally back-to-back with 2LT Karol Cierpica is symbolic of long history of our nations to fight together. Things that politicians in pursue of short term goals and real-politk seem so easy to forget. Our nation is small, but we always were fighting for "freedom yours and ours". I'm afraid that in future our nations will again have to fight for it.