PDA

View Full Version : Dry film finish on mags

Slater
09-21-13, 11:15
All the new 30-round GI mags I've seen that have the dry-film finish are pretty badly scuffed, often with metal visible undeneath. I guess this is typical for this type of finish, and I've heard that the metal is actually anodized under the dry film.

Does this type finish actually provide better protection to the mag than, say, Teflon?

tw4
09-21-13, 18:38
park ? I would soak them in rem oil for a few hours to recondition the park and make it more resistance to abrasions.

MarkG
09-21-13, 18:47
Aluminum can't be Parkerized and they are not anodized.

Go shoot your rifle and stop worrying about nonsense like scuffing on your magazines. If you won't be able to sleep tonight, wipe them down with an oiled rag and the scuffs will magically disappear.

Jaysop
09-21-13, 18:52
If I recall correctly, it's a dry lubricant film. It's available online.
I refinished a few pre ban mags a while back. The sound of that stuff rubbing against each other gave me the nails on a chalkboard feeling and I just spray my mags with black alumahyde.

It doesn't matter if there's rubbed off spots.

Hmac
09-21-13, 18:55
What's the problem with scuffed magazines?

Walther magazines for the PPQ come with that dry film. The otherwise-identical Magnum Research MR-9 mags don't. It doesn't make a bit of difference between the two in functionality.

Iraqgunz
09-21-13, 19:01
It's a non-issue. If it bothers you sell them and get something else.