PDA

View Full Version : 16" Middy barrels with rifle feed ramps

number1olddog
09-21-13, 11:22
So after my previous post about headspacing which concerned a Sabre Defense barrel, I got to talking to a buddy of mine who has a Sabre Defense upper that he has had for a few years and I checked it out today. It was a 16" Middy which had "standard" or rifle feed ramps. When did companies start switching from rifle to m4 feed ramps on the middy guns? I have never seen that before.

Dead Man
09-21-13, 11:49
M4 feed ramps have been creeping into the market gradually over the last.... who knows? Long time. I would imagine Colt started it, other DOD contractors would have followed suit, and when people started noticing and deciding it was "better" and the market demanded it, others started incorporating it.

There used to be "The Chart" floating around the internet that showed what companies did and used what for what on their 6920-comparable models. Some used M4s, some didn't, some used high-pressure tested bolts, some didn't, etc.

16" midlength is a commercial configuration, so it stands to reason Sabre might have kept it at commercial standards for a while. There are still some manufacturers that use rifle, or swing both ways. I'm pretty sure White Oak Armament produces basically all their barrels with either barrel extension.