PDA

View Full Version : Kel-Tec KSG Initial Impressions

HKGuns
09-21-13, 16:27
LGS had one of these in the back today and gave me a fair deal on one significantly under MSRP. I've never owned a "Tactical" shotgun before as they're never interested me....This one is different.

I haven't shot it yet so I will give you my initial impressions, focusing on the main features that make this thing different.

Capacity:

This thing holds a LOT of rounds, far more than your traditional home defense tactical shotgun. I'm loading one tube with six 3" 00 Buck and one tube with six 3" slugs. With one in the chamber that is 13 rounds of lead down range without a reload.

It is relatively easy to reload and very easy to select the mag tube from which you want to feed rounds.

It is extremely ambidextrous and the controls for the slide release and safety are within easy reach of either hand.

You can see, in the picture below, where you load and select which mag tube from which you're feeding rounds from. An additional safety feature is that if the selector is in the middle it won't feed any rounds. Some might call it an opportunity to fail. In the picture below the selector is in the middle.

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v54/p1985764416-5.jpg

Size & Weight:

This shotgun is small and EXTREMELY handy. It feels very much like an M1 Carbine from a balance and weight perspective.

It balances well and is quite maneuverable in a tight space. This would be my choice of shotgun if I made my living doing forced entry. (This will serve duty as my HD shotgun.) The bull-pup design makes it balance extremely well and with all of that lead down the mag tubes you don't feel the weight and it helps balance it out really really well.

The picture below has a pair of M gloves for size reference. I can't get over how compact a package this is having shot many shotguns over my years.

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s11/v31/p2055295116-5.jpg

Takedown:

The gun is relatively easy to break down for cleaning, there are a couple of pins that allow you to remove the stock and the trigger group. After that, most everything will pull right out. I had no issues getting it apart and putting it back together. The pins are a great feature and you even have little holes in the grip to store the pins when you are cleaning the shotgun.

The only thing I don't like about it so far is that it needs to be slammed home extremely hard in order to release the shell from the magazine tube. It is really easy to short stroke this thing and I've written Kel-Tec to determine if this is normal. I will post their response when it is received. It may get better over time or there may be something a bit out of spec.

Below are some pictures of the various parts of the shotgun. Notice the rails on the top and the bottom which are a nice feature.

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v46/p2111074767-5.jpg

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v14/p1903767434-5.jpg

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s4/v64/p1894724588-5.jpg

sevin8nin
09-21-13, 16:51
Well done on actually getting one. The shop I work at has had 2 in 5 years. Getting it is the hardest part.
The second hardest part seems to be getting it to run.

Please update with your initial shooting impressions and how it goes. Always curious to hear more feedback.

walker2713
09-22-13, 17:36
Nice post, and great pics! Let us know how she shoots!

Javelin
09-22-13, 17:48
I want one!

HKGuns
09-28-13, 22:28
I wanted to go to the 50 yard range to sight the KSG in today. However, it was closed for some reason. So, I took it and my HK91 to the 100 yard range to see how they would perform.

The KSG had an unusual failure on only the second round. It wouldn't eject the fired hull and was locked up tighter than a drum. (I was shooting Winchester 1600FPS defensive partitioned slugs)

I had to disassemble the gun to get the spent hull to eject. I then proceeded to shoot another 12 slugs without issue. I was on paper at 100 for the most part, but the gun wasn't sighted in so it wasn't worth trying to be accurate. I was mostly function testing anyway.

Recoil was sharp with pronounced cheek slap from the way you are forced to mount your face to the gun to get a proper sight picture. I felt it in my molars on more than one occasion. It is not a pleasant to shoot slug gun.

Well, it will take a few more range trips for me to have confidence in the gun after that initial failure to eject, but since it did well afterward I am optimistic about its future. I fired slugs from both tubes and had no issues feeding the rounds and didn't short shuck it a single time.

The HK91 shot fabulously @1.32 max spread MOA using standard HK irons and some off brand ammo. I only put three down range as it was close enough to dead on center that I wasn't going to mess with the sights. Those rear drums can be a PITA to adjust properly, even with the HK sight tool.

RIGPIG
09-29-13, 17:52
I wanted to go to the 50 yard range to sight the KSG in today. However, it was closed for some reason. So, I took it and my HK91 to the 100 yard range to see how they would perform.

The KSG had an unusual failure on only the second round. It wouldn't eject the fired hull and was locked up tighter than a drum. (I was shooting Winchester 1600FPS defensive partitioned slugs)

I had to disassemble the gun to get the spent hull to eject. I then proceeded to shoot another 12 slugs without issue. I was on paper at 100 for the most part, but the gun wasn't sighted in so it wasn't worth trying to be accurate. I was mostly function testing anyway.

Recoil was sharp with pronounced cheek slap from the way you are forced to mount your face to the gun to get a proper sight picture. I felt it in my molars on more than one occasion. It is not a pleasant to shoot slug gun.

Well, it will take a few more range trips for me to have confidence in the gun after that initial failure to eject, but since it did well afterward I am optimistic about its future. I fired slugs from both tubes and had no issues feeding the rounds and didn't short shuck it a single time.

The HK91 shot fabulously @1.32 max spread MOA using standard HK irons and some off brand ammo. I only put three down range as it was close enough to dead on center that I wasn't going to mess with the sights. Those rear drums can be a PITA to adjust properly, even with the HK sight tool.

Try low recoil slugs, like Federal Tru-ball LE or Speer Lawman LR loads. They'll bring recoil down to that of a 2 3/4" low brass 8shot birdshot. They're accurate out past 100yds, and will make use in a pump of any kind much more pleasurable. The low-recoil loads will cycle most autoloaders as well.

dlh2689
10-10-13, 13:30
Thank you for sharing your experiences with this shotgun. We had one at my shop but it sold just as quick as we got it in. Maybe one of these days I'll actually be able to shoot one.

Javelin
10-10-13, 15:41
Are these not reliable? I like my 870.... worth the trade up?

Abraham
10-10-13, 16:17
"Try low recoil slugs, like Federal Tru-ball LE or Speer Lawman LR loads."

Thanks for educating me on these low recoil loads - I didn't know they existed, until now.

I've a light weight, 12 gauge that I've had to put shoulder and cheek protectors on as the loads I ran through them were hideously punishing...

Campbell
10-10-13, 16:57
I just got one in the shop to refinish, and I really love how compact it is, but the mixed reviews have got me in a holding pattern...good luck with yours.:)

brown3345
10-10-13, 17:54
How long have these been out on the market? I find this design to be very interesting but I have never been known to be a first adopter type. Keep us up to date on how it runs. I might be interested in getting one in the future.

ptmccain
10-10-13, 18:00
Good luck with the KSG, I've seen some horrendous reviews of it online and MAC really has had a terrible time with it.

Seems to be hit/miss.

T2C
10-10-13, 18:02
Please keep us updated as you put wear and tear on your shotgun and post what observations you make good or bad. It would be really helpful if you keep track of the total number of rounds fired.

quaesitor logica
10-10-13, 19:37
I have had two of these shotguns. A gen 1 and the latest Generation out now. Both of the shotguns I have had were reliable with any type of ammo. Slugs were easily accurate out to 75 yards with Magpul MBUS. 00 Buck was adequately "H-D" tight from up to 15 yards.

The KSG has a bit of an odd action in that it has an extra bit of resistance at the end of a short stroke. Just make sure to get used to working the action in a firm manner or you will short stroke this weapon. This is one of the main causes of bad reviews for the KSG.

titanse05
10-10-13, 19:49
I've wanted one of these ever since they were introduced. But then they took over a year to be made, have been getting mostly unfavorable reviews and grossly overpriced due to Keltec's inability to make enough to meet demand.

That being said, if I could get one for a fair price I would.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

quaesitor logica
10-10-13, 22:21
I've wanted one of these ever since they were introduced. But then they took over a year to be made, have been getting mostly unfavorable reviews and grossly overpriced due to Keltec's inability to make enough to meet demand.

That being said, if I could get one for a fair price I would.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4
I still prefer my Mossy 930 SPX with a Monte Carlo stock for HD over the KSG but the KSG is not a bad weapon. It is a Kel Tec after all and a new design. All in all it is a great HD shotgun if you get used to the operation of the weapon. I think you will find most negative reviews of this shotgun stem from short stroking and magazine tube change, both problems solved by training.

As far as forearms getting torn up by ejected shells, I have never even suffered a bruise. Broken slides are very far and few in between.

As you stated before these weapons are grossly overpriced at 1k. I think that the 800$ initial MSRP was a bit high to begin with for the quality of construction but the market is tolerating a 1k+ price tag.

ptmccain
10-11-13, 03:10

Mixed reviews. I'd wait another year before making the investment in this shotgun which strikes me as horribly overpriced. IMHO.

Check out these negative reactions/reviews:

http://www.thebangswitch.com/trying-to-appreciate-the-kel-tec-ksg/

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2012/10/18/kel-tec-ksg-shotgun-review/

http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showthread.php?5728-My-personal-review-of-the-Keltec-KSG-shotgun

Good summary of the main problem with the KSG - KelTec's hit/miss quality control:

I had the opportunity to run two separate KSG’s through their paces on my woods range. The first one I was loaned by one of my co-instructors and we ran 300 shells of 00bk, slugs, and 8shot through without even the slightest sign of a hiccup. The action was as smooth as my benelli super nova (ok, but not phenomenal), and follow ups were easy.

The second one was the one I owned. For one day. I tried like hell but I couldn’t deplete one mag tube without a jam. I stumbled through my entire cache of 12ga shells, about 275, hoping it was the first shotgun ever to have a major break in period. No improvements. Tore it down, scrubbed and oiled it, notice it had quite a few burrs, tried cleaning those up a bit, and attempted another run. Jammed after the 3rd shot.

I truly believe a good Kel-Tec is a fantastic firearm. The problem is taking the (for me) $1100 gamble to find one.

NCPatrolAR
10-11-13, 05:55
I wouldn't buy one for a few more years. There's still a net of issues with the gun and cycling issues seem to be the primary problem area for everyone

Armati
10-11-13, 12:08
There is no good way to reload it. A regular shotgun can be quickly topped off while on the move without even looking at the gun. Everyone I see who tries to load the KSG has to stop, set the gun down on it's butt, look at the well, and carefully insert each round.

Rikakiah
10-11-13, 18:04
With 14 rounds, you shouldn't need to reload, though. HD and maybe a breaching gun (I'm not versed in that art, but seems its size would make it useful for that) it should be mare than adequate. Sure, it's a negative, but not a deal breaker depending on your needs.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

badness
10-11-13, 18:51

I wouldn't say they're all that reliable. Nutnfancy, who's somewhat of a keltec fanboy, criticized the selector lever as it was showing a lot of wear after only a day's worth of shooting.

Tim from The Military Arms channel on youtube did a review on one. The one he got was completely unreliable. On top of that, when he contact keltec, they didn't even bother to respond to him.........that is until he posted the video of it failing. Then they contacted him right away to get it resolved.

You have companies like S&W, springfield armory, BCM etc who take care of their customers. All of their customers. Doesn't matter who you are. Then there's companies like keltec who only seem to have great customer service when said service is publicized.

If you wanted to get one IN ADDITION to your 870, then that's fine. You can play around with it, but still have something you can fall back on that you know will work. However i would never give up an 870 just to get 6 more rounds in some shotgun that might work reliably or might be a piece of shit that you can't even get fixed in a timely manner.

ptmccain
10-11-13, 19:41
I wouldn't say they're all that reliable. Nutnfancy, who's somewhat of a keltec fanboy, criticized the selector lever as it was showing a lot of wear after only a day's worth of shooting.

Tim from The Military Arms channel on youtube did a review on one. The one he got was completely unreliable. On top of that, when he contact keltec, they didn't even bother to respond to him.........that is until he posted the video of it failing. Then they contacted him right away to get it resolved.

You have companies like S&W, springfield armory, BCM etc who take care of their customers. All of their customers. Doesn't matter who you are. Then there's companies like keltec who only seem to have great customer service when said service is publicized.

If you wanted to get one IN ADDITION to your 870, then that's fine. You can play around with it, but still have something you can fall back on that you know will work. However i would never give up an 870 just to get 6 more rounds in some shotgun that might work reliably or might be a piece of shit that you can't even get fixed in a timely manner.

Geesh, I mean, for another $600 just get a Benelli M4 and throw a full length mag tube.

If you need more than eight shell of 00 Buck being fired semi automatically you need something other than a shotgun.

quaesitor logica
10-11-13, 21:00
There is no good way to reload it. A regular shotgun can be quickly topped off while on the move without even looking at the gun. Everyone I see who tries to load the KSG has to stop, set the gun down on it's butt, look at the well, and carefully insert each round.

I got pretty good at just angling the shotgun muzzle towards the ground just right and allowing gravity to position the shell while I shoved it home with a thumb. That said though.. not as fast or easy as loading a conventional shotgun on move.

RHINOWSO
10-11-13, 22:48
Not to be a complete snob, but it's a KelTec, right?

MountainRaven
10-12-13, 13:04
Not to be a complete snob, but it's a KelTec, right?

There's nothing wrong with being a snob.

But, you're right, it is a Kel-Tec. And, as a snob, there is nothing snobbish about that observation.

Armati
10-12-13, 16:44
The reloading issue becomes more apparent when you take a shotgun class or course of fire that requires you to 'run-n-gun'.

Switching to slugs is another issue. Try it and you will see what I mean.

HKGuns
10-12-13, 22:42
There is no good way to reload it.

Practice.

I had a difficult time for the first few days as well, mainly because it is "different" than other shotguns on the market. If you practice reloading it can be very easy to reload. It just takes bit of time to get used to doing it the way you are forced to in this design.

Switching mag tubes on this gun is the same as a reload on most shotguns, if you look at it that way it is the easiest shotgun to reload.

ezveedub
10-13-13, 02:14
Geesh, I mean, for another $600 just get a Benelli M4 and throw a full length mag tube.

If you need more than eight shell of 00 Buck being fired semi automatically you need something other than a shotgun.

You're better off with a Mossberg 930 SPX. A Benelli falls under 922r once you extend the capacity past 5 rounds, so $600 plus more for US parts. For a tactical foreign shot gun, I went with a Molot VEPR 12 instead.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
10-13-13, 04:28
You're better off with a Mossberg 930 SPX. A Benelli falls under 922r once you extend the capacity past 5 rounds, so $600 plus more for US parts. For a tactical foreign shot gun, I went with a Molot VEPR 12 instead.

Sheesh, I dont think I have EVER seen anyone with any experience with Semi Auto shotguns recommend the 930 over the Benelli M line. BTW, Benelli M4's can be made 922r compliant for very, very cheap.

RHINOWSO
10-13-13, 08:25

Sheesh, I dont think I have EVER seen anyone with any experience with Semi Auto shotguns recommend the 930 over the Benelli M line. BTW, Benelli M4's can be made 922r compliant for very, very cheap.
While it does take some money for 922r for M4 & M2s, it's not $600 to do that.

ezveedub
10-13-13, 11:42

What is cheap? What would the price be of the Benelli shotgun plus the 922r parts? The 930 doesn't have to deal with any 922r and the Molot VEPR 12 is made 922r compliant for $80-$100

WillBrink
10-13-13, 12:39
I haven't shot it yet so I will give you my initial impressions, focusing on the main features that make this thing different.

Kel Tec has never been a company that's synonymous with quality or reliability in my experience, so until that thing shows itself to posses both qualities, it's a range toy to me. I'll be interested to hear your ongoing experiences with it. Keep us posted. :cool:

quaesitor logica
10-13-13, 13:07

handled the Benelli M-4 and it is a fine shotgun but being that it is a shotgun built for use and not a collectible, I cant get myself to drop around 2k for one set up like I want. Not until my 930 SPX craps out and from what I have seen, that is going to be a very long time.

That said though, yep sold the Keltec shotguns I had. I did not feel like learning a whole new weapons system, especially one that is suspect in durability like the KSG.

ramairthree
10-13-13, 13:18
Thank you for the time to post the review.

I saw a guy at the local range a little while back having a hard time with reliability.

I have had hands-on, personal experience with three Kel-Tec products.

A Sub2000 for glock 9mm mags, that has been very reliably. It is not what I would call a durable item though. If you have it running reliable, it will hold up to an occasional trip to the range and to protect the house or shop, but I do not think it would last a week in a PCC course, let alone a year in deployed conditions.

A Sub2000 for beretta 96 magazines. This magazine well is not as well fitting as the glock one and is sloppy. (because it can be adapted for other types of magazines) My cross bolt safety would get stuck in the fire position and required pin point manipulation of the detent to get it back on safe. (kel tec addressed this rapidly)
It was getting rounds jammed and damaged instead of feeding- also addressed by kel tec.

A PLR-16. I wanted an AR mag PDW that did not have a buffer tube. It is reliable, but same durability concerns as the Sub2000s. I would recommend getting an actual AR pistol with a piston type system if you are in the market for an AR mag pistol with no buffer tube.

There are a lot of little things- like cheesy sights that have no repeatable adjustments, weak holding of the sight settings, sights that do not line up with most mounts, rails, optics, etc.

They have some great concepts, like very small and thin highly concealable 9mm pistols, 30 round 22mag SA pistol, etc. In terms of reliability, QC, and durability, I would say Kel-Tec is where Stoner and the military were like 50 years ago with the AR.

WillBrink
10-13-13, 13:55
Thank you for the time to post the review.

I saw a guy at the local range a little while back having a hard time with reliability.

I have had hands-on, personal experience with three Kel-Tec products.

A Sub2000 for glock 9mm mags, that has been very reliably. It is not what I would call a durable item though. If you have it running reliable, it will hold up to an occasional trip to the range and to protect the house or shop, but I do not think it would last a week in a PCC course, let alone a year in deployed conditions.

A Sub2000 for beretta 96 magazines. This magazine well is not as well fitting as the glock one and is sloppy. (because it can be adapted for other types of magazines) My cross bolt safety would get stuck in the fire position and required pin point manipulation of the detent to get it back on safe. (kel tec addressed this rapidly)
It was getting rounds jammed and damaged instead of feeding- also addressed by kel tec.

A PLR-16. I wanted an AR mag PDW that did not have a buffer tube. It is reliable, but same durability concerns as the Sub2000s. I would recommend getting an actual AR pistol with a piston type system if you are in the market for an AR mag pistol with no buffer tube.

There are a lot of little things- like cheesy sights that have no repeatable adjustments, weak holding of the sight settings, sights that do not line up with most mounts, rails, optics, etc.

They have some great concepts, like very small and thin highly concealable 9mm pistols, 30 round 22mag SA pistol, etc. In terms of reliability, QC, and durability, I would say Kel-Tec is where Stoner and the military were like 50 years ago with the AR.

I have seen frame cracks in several Kel tec 9mm pistols. They had to be returned and replaced. That was a long time ago. Maybe that issue has been addressed, but as you mention, their products are clearly not intended for high rnds counts.

I don't know at what rnd counts the cracks in the frames took place as they were not my guns, but it was not very high rnd count I know that.

HKGuns
10-13-13, 20:24
You're better off with a Mossberg 930 SPX.

I disagree, there are very few times, if any, when you're better off with a Mossberg. (The Company that shamelessly brought you the "Chainsaw" shotgun.)

anubismp
10-13-13, 21:03
I have a Ksg and it's my first keltec. It's reliable as long as you WORK the action and don't mess around. I think the 14 shots in a package short enough to point down the stairs and around the corner has a lot going for it. Can I reload my 870 faster? sure but I need to do it more often and an extended mag takes away the advantages offered by the bull pup. All the people who have shot it have wanted one. I'm keeping mine rather than selling it for a stupid price.

HKGuns
10-13-13, 21:11
I'm keeping mine rather than selling it for a stupid price.

Me too, even though it appears I could profit from doing so.......

LowSpeed_HighDrag
10-14-13, 04:33
What is cheap? What would the price be of the Benelli shotgun plus the 922r parts? The 930 doesn't have to deal with any 922r and the Molot VEPR 12 is made 922r compliant for $80-$100

The Benelli M4 needs to have 3 parts replaced to become 922r Compliant, 4 if using the C Stock. If you put an 8 round tube on it you have just replaced one of the required parts. Now, replace:

Disconnecter $35:
http://freedomfightertactical.com/products-page/922r-compliant-trigger-parts/the-freedom-fighter-tactical-922r-compliant-disconnector/

Follower $25:
http://freedomfightertactical.com/products-page/922r-compliant-followers/

And/or the following...

Handguards $60:
http://freedomfightertactical.com/products-page/922r-compliant-forends/

Hammer:
http://freedomfightertactical.com/products-page/922r-compliant-trigger-parts/the-freedom-fighter-tactical-922r-compliant-hammer/

See, its not that hard to do it. The day I trust a Mossberg Semi Auto anything over the Benelli ARGO system is the day I CCW a Lorcin and put a Taurus in my duty holster.

ezveedub
10-14-13, 17:48
The Benelli M4 needs to have 3 parts replaced to become 922r Compliant, 4 if using the C Stock. If you put an 8 round tube on it you have just replaced one of the required parts. Now, replace:

Disconnecter $35:
http://freedomfightertactical.com/products-page/922r-compliant-trigger-parts/the-freedom-fighter-tactical-922r-compliant-disconnector/

Follower $25:
http://freedomfightertactical.com/products-page/922r-compliant-followers/

And/or the following...

Handguards $60:
http://freedomfightertactical.com/products-page/922r-compliant-forends/

Hammer:
http://freedomfightertactical.com/products-page/922r-compliant-trigger-parts/the-freedom-fighter-tactical-922r-compliant-hammer/

See, its not that hard to do it. The day I trust a Mossberg Semi Auto anything over the Benelli ARGO system is the day I CCW a Lorcin and put a Taurus in my duty holster.

You mean a combo of those 3 parts PLUS the $160-$240 for a full mag tube and the $1500-$1800 for the Benelli M4.

You basically only need the trigger parts kit for $150 and the full mag tube for $160 plus the price of the M4. But that's still not a cheap setup and will be a deal breaker for most just to get a semi-auto shotgun 922r legal with added capacity. And no firearm is bullet proof 100% reliable, as Benelli M4s have had various reported function issues just every other shotgun out there.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
10-14-13, 23:44
You mean a combo of those 3 parts PLUS the $160-$240 for a full mag tube and the $1500-$1800 for the Benelli M4.

You basically only need the trigger parts kit for $150 and the full mag tube for $160 plus the price of the M4. But that's still not a cheap setup and will be a deal breaker for most just to get a semi-auto shotgun 922r legal with added capacity. And no firearm is bullet proof 100% reliable, as Benelli M4s have had various reported function issues just every other shotgun out there.

You said $600 earlier right? I proved that it costs nowhere near that. Sometimes you need to pay more to get a better shotgun if that is what you truly seek. If you are going to sit here and tell me that the M4 has more reported issues of failure than the 930, then you are either ignoring facts or simply havent done any research. Yes, the M4 costs alot of money, but so does a good ballistic vest vs a subpar vest. An Aimpoint costs considerably more than a Primary Arms Red Dot. I could go on. The price for reliability and design far outweigh the cost of ownership of a subpar item over its lifetime.

But, we are WAY off track here. As far as the Kel Tec KSG goes. The best indiciation of its quality for me was in the name, "Kel Tec", and therefore I never gave it so much as a passing glance.

ezveedub
10-15-13, 09:22
You said $600 earlier right? I proved that it costs nowhere near that. Sometimes you need to pay more to get a better shotgun if that is what you truly seek. If you are going to sit here and tell me that the M4 has more reported issues of failure than the 930, then you are either ignoring facts or simply havent done any research. Yes, the M4 costs alot of money, but so does a good ballistic vest vs a subpar vest. An Aimpoint costs considerably more than a Primary Arms Red Dot. I could go on. The price for reliability and design far outweigh the cost of ownership of a subpar item over its lifetime.

But, we are WAY off track here. As far as the Kel Tec KSG goes. The best indiciation of its quality for me was in the name, "Kel Tec", and therefore I never gave it so much as a passing glance.

I never said $600 for anything. I was quoting an earlier post that said for $600 more and a full extended mag tube, you could have gotten a Benelli over the KSG, to which I disagree. If you want a semi-auto shotgun at the original price of KSG, go with a 930 SPX.

The KSG at its original MSRP of $880, with a street price of $750s was good, but when it went to a MSRP of $1000, then selling for $1300 and up is when it's no longer really worth it IMO. A KSG and a Benelli are two different shotguns, so have no clue why the Benelli got thrown into this thread.

RHINOWSO
10-16-13, 11:19
A KSG and a Benelli are two different shotguns, so have no clue why the Benelli got thrown into this thread.
Yeah, a bubba range toy that will never see or stand up to serious use vs the gold standard of working semi-auto shotguns.

jamaicanj
10-16-13, 11:47
Thanks for sharing

HKGuns
10-19-13, 20:47
Yeah, a bubba range toy that will never see or stand up to serious use vs the gold standard of working semi-auto shotguns.

I think that is rather harsh and very pre-mature, all things considered. Where is the innovation at Remington or Mossberg beyond the :eek::eek:"Chainsaw":eek::eek:

I wouldn't be surprised if to see one or more of the B-gun MFG's come out with something competitive.

If your comment is centered on it being a "Kel-Tec" I don't own very many of them but my little Kel-Tec P-32 has never missed a beat.

For the record, I am no "Bubba".

anubismp
10-19-13, 20:57
I'm not saying I wouldn't prefer a different name on it but I've had guns by "great" manufacturers choke. I think you should clear a few corners or doorways with one and when you are done I'd love to hear your impressions. So far the only problem seems to be short stroking it which I haven't had a problem with.

anubismp
10-19-13, 21:07
Also in fairness while some if their stuff is cheap they sell it cheap too. Their expensive stuff feels like quality. I think that's not a ding against them. The only thing I'd like beefier in the KSG is the DFE and even then I've had no issues it just feels slim. As for bubba I feel my collection is pretty classy and the only teeth I don't have the Army stole.

RHINOWSO
10-19-13, 21:10
I think that is rather harsh and very pre-mature, all things considered. Where is the innovation at Remington or Mossberg beyond the :eek::eek:"Chainsaw":eek::eek:

I wouldn't be surprised if to see one or more of the B-gun MFG's come out with something competitive.

If your comment is centered on it being a "Kel-Tec" I don't own very many of them but my little Kel-Tec P-32 has never missed a beat.

For the record, I am no "Bubba".
When 100% of KSG users aren't just fingering f-ing them at the range and some agency / unit, somewhere adopts it for serious use and it doesn't fail them after being used, then we'll talk.

Armati
10-19-13, 22:41

Yep.

Still waiting for the good news story from the guy who took the KSG to a serious shotgun class. Anyone running these in competition?

ramairthree
10-20-13, 19:46
Correction-
the guy I saw playing at the range may have had
UTAS? UTS-15
and not a Kel-Tec.

firerocketjump
10-20-13, 21:32
I think it is a great idea and it looks great, however after the reviews and the idea of how bad the company is. I wouldn't trust it with my life.

However if prices for it go back to $800 I may pick one up after much testing and internal upgrades.

I remember when it was first announced nad I had the opportunity to pre order one for the cheap price but even then I didnt think they were good. (anyone remember the broken KSG at shot show)?

WickedWillis
10-21-13, 12:24

Exactly. The thing even feels like a toy.