PDA

View Full Version : Question about Transfering rifles across state line to an FFL

Shoulderthinggoesup
09-21-13, 16:45
Sorry if this is not in the right place, was not sure where to ask it and I don't have access to general discussion.

So I am selling a rifle to an ffl across state lines. I happen to be taking a trip to the area and it would save me a lot of money to just bring to rifle with me to and sell the gun to him face to face. Are there any prohibitions against this?

HeliPilot
09-21-13, 17:14
State laws vary, what states are you talking about?

Without knowing where you're going I would I have say it doesn't matter. Most states don't care as long as you're traveling. Transport the firearm/s unloaded and in the trunk and you should be good to go.

Shoulderthinggoesup
09-21-13, 17:39
I am in North Carolina and will be bringing the rifle to Texas

Renegade
09-21-13, 17:42
Not a problem

HeliPilot
09-21-13, 17:45
I don't know all the state laws between NC and TX, but Tx has some pretty lenient gun laws. I'm from Texas and have driven guns all over the state. I would say as long as you store them condition 4 in the trunk you'll be fine regardless. If you do happen to get pulled over I don't think it's required for you to voluntarily tell the Officer that you have them but if they ask definitely say so.

Iraqgunz
09-21-13, 18:16
I am pretty sure that if you are not both residents of the same state and you travel across state lines you must conduct the sale via an FFL. I would make sure to get an answer and I wouldn't rely on answers provided here or any other website.

Suwannee Tim
09-21-13, 19:09
Traveling with a gun in southern states will not be a problem. To transfer a firearm to an FFL in another state is also not a problem. You might have a problem with local pawn shop laws. Florida and I assume all states have pawn shop laws that require the dealer to identify the seller, maintain records that are regularly inspected by local cops looking for stolen property and hold the property for a certain time, in Florida I believe it is two weeks. These laws apply to gun dealers even if they are buying the gun and not taking it in pawn. You should check with the dealer and make sure he is cool with your plans before you transport the gun. Shipping a rifle is not particularly expensive, $40 or so max.

Iraqgunz
09-21-13, 20:17
I think if the recipient is an FFL as you stated, then I am 99% it is Ok.

T2C
09-21-13, 21:12
From the ATF FAQ page:

Q: May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State?
A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]

Renegade
09-21-13, 21:20
From the ATF FAQ page:

Q: May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State?
A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]

This has nothing to do with what the OP is doing. He is selling a firearm to an FFL. There are only a handful of states where someone cannot cross state lines to deliver a firearm to an FFL. Texas of course is not one of them.

T2C
09-21-13, 21:29
This has nothing to do with what the OP is doing. He is selling a firearm to an FFL. There are only a handful of states where someone cannot cross state lines to deliver a firearm to an FFL. Texas of course is not one of them.

Roger that. I misread the post. He should be good to go.

Q: To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?
A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]