PDA

View Full Version : Miramar/Pembroke Pines - Where does everybody go?

Shorts
09-22-13, 11:24
Where does everybody go to:

1. Buy ammo & guns - Here in DFW, it's Cabela's, Bass Pro, Academy, Walmart, gun shows, LGS

2. Shoot - Normally hit Elm Fork & Shoot Smart for pistol. However I want to shoot the rifles more on a longer than 15yd indoor.

We got a little spoiled here I guess. Use the ways we do things for our firearms habit. Now we have to learn all new places in a real unfamiliar area. Any help would be appreciated. We have googled a little bit but hoping input will save us some heartache or bad experiences.

Oh, in regards to storing ammo/reloading components, is everyone doing that indoors rather than garage (non-climate controlled)? Humidity is my concern down there.

Thanks.

fssmikey
09-22-13, 11:42
I'm not too familiar with anything north of the dade county line, but I understand markham park has a very nice facility. 100 yards on the rifle side I believe.

http://www.broward.org/Parks/MarkhamPark/Pages/MarkhamParkTargetRange.aspx

There's more than a few indoor ranges.

Theres a bass pro, and a dicks, other than that it's LGS for almost everything. Walmart ammo availability is hit and miss.

There's a gun show almost every other month in ft.lauderdale, but I think he one in Miami is better.

I've never stored ammo in the garage, I wouldn't. . It is very humid all year long.

Welcome to South Florida!

Shorts
09-22-13, 19:33
Thanks fssmikey. Will keep these things in mind.

loganp0916
09-22-13, 19:38
There is also nexus in Davie. It's new. Opened in march I believe. Decent prices and great indoor range.

danpass
09-22-13, 20:26
You have Markham Park off I-595. It's 100 yards.

I've only shot there during Highpower matches. I have a vague recollection of being thankful for not shooting as a regular. Something along the lines of being treated like a child. We have a match director that takes place of the red shirts.

Nexus Shooting is nearby and a good place. I've only shot handgun there.

Then further south there is Trailglades range, also 100 yards, which is mostly adult rules (that's what I call it lol). Yet strangely they won't host Highpower matches that I know of, mostly due to the "rapid" strings of fire. 10rnds in 60 seconds and 10 again in 70 seconds. When its 10-15 shooters popping off at once :rolleyes:

The closest 600 range that I know of is at Port Malabar (this one is private), again as part of shooting Highpower matches.

In my experience, of the 15 (fifteen!) Walmart stores around here, ammo is only a label on an empty shelf for the last two years.

OBXDiveguy
09-23-13, 14:11
A little further out from Pembroke Pines, but worth it, is Altair Gun Club at Deep Lake. It is near Everglades City.

Shorts
09-23-13, 16:43
Been looking up the names listed. See some things I like. See some things that ping my radar but won't know if I really don't like until I try. In all likelihood I'll stop at each one until we find our comfort zone.

At the range I:
- pick up my own brass
- practice holster draws and rapid strings of fire
- shoot seated on the ground with the rifle
- minimum 25yd distance for rifle

Here at Shoot Smart I have gotten a little bit spoiled with their private lanes. In there I can shoot rapid fire, holster draws, and position myself any which way I want to shoot. If I was Spiderman I could crawl up the side of the wall and shoot from there if I wanted.

What I liked about Elm Fork was the longer lanes and outdoors. I don't necessarily like the group hot/cold firing lines. I'd like a little more freedom than that.

Are there any private sportsman's clubs that I should consider? Perhaps any that just require a membership fee, orientation and then they will turn you loose on the property with the gate code, your integrity & responsibility?

I'm telling myself to keep an open mind and that we'll find a place we like. I'm not one for change and it often shows :fie:

ETA:

On the 100yd rifle ranges do they require a (magnified) optic to even get out there? Or will they allow irons?

On any of the ranges, are FMJs prohibited out of rifles? I see steel core/tipped and tracer rounds are often prohibited (not unusual). But a couple outdoor ranges here prohibit basic FMJ in rifles.

fssmikey
09-23-13, 22:58
Been looking up the names listed. See some things I like. See some things that ping my radar but won't know if I really don't like until I try. In all likelihood I'll stop at each one until we find our comfort zone.

At the range I:
- pick up my own brass
- practice holster draws and rapid strings of fire
- shoot seated on the ground with the rifle
- minimum 25yd distance for rifle

Here at Shoot Smart I have gotten a little bit spoiled with their private lanes. In there I can shoot rapid fire, holster draws, and position myself any which way I want to shoot. If I was Spiderman I could crawl up the side of the wall and shoot from there if I wanted.

What I liked about Elm Fork was the longer lanes and outdoors. I don't necessarily like the group hot/cold firing lines. I'd like a little more freedom than that.

Are there any private sportsman's clubs that I should consider? Perhaps any that just require a membership fee, orientation and then they will turn you loose on the property with the gate code, your integrity & responsibility?

I'm telling myself to keep an open mind and that we'll find a place we like. I'm not one for change and it often shows :fie:

ETA:

On the 100yd rifle ranges do they require a (magnified) optic to even get out there? Or will they allow irons?

On any of the ranges, are FMJs prohibited out of rifles? I see steel core/tipped and tracer rounds are often prohibited (not unusual). But a couple outdoor ranges here prohibit basic FMJ in rifles.

There's a range very far down south that's pretty much an "anything goes" type of place, way down south called "Henry's"

I've never been out there, and it might be a drive from the pines, but it's just about as rule free as you can get down here.

In west Kendall, there's stonehart indoor range. You can draw and rapid fire after a quick qualifying session with a range officer. Lately I've been shooting there more often than at the outdoor range.

FloridaWoodsman
09-25-13, 22:39
As to the ammo storage, I keep mine inside, but my father kept his in a hot, non air-conditioned room over his garage, and it always went bang with the exception of the cheap Thunderbolt rimfire.

Shorts
10-02-13, 16:10
As to the ammo storage, I keep mine inside, but my father kept his in a hot, non air-conditioned room over his garage, and it always went bang with the exception of the cheap Thunderbolt rimfire.

Ah ok.

This week went ahead and picked up a few more ammo cans so at least what we've got stocked now can be sealed and dessicated. Ought to help for organization too.

Hot Holster
10-02-13, 17:54
There is also nexus in Davie. It's new. Opened in march I believe. Decent prices and great indoor range.

Nexus is a state of the art store. Guns are priced decently, range is very nice, you can keep your brass. Range time is $15 per hour and I believe they were once talking about allowing draw from holsters and other types of training actions.

Bass Pro Shop-Dania Beach isn't too far from Nexus if you want to stop there too.

loganp0916
10-07-13, 19:15
.....and I believe they were once talking about allowing draw from holsters and other types of training actions.

I think you have to get some sort of card through them that basically shows them you're good enough that you won't shoot yourself or someone else while drawing.

Shorts
10-11-13, 15:24
Well, we are in town and I am badly needing some range therapy. I am flat wore out with this move.

Looking forward to trying out the list. Thanks yall.

SgtRock
03-13-14, 17:49
Nexus you buy a $10.00 lifetime membership... then you pay $20.00 per person, per hour to shoot at their range...
If you want to do rapid fire, movement drills and holster draw, you have to take their "Training sessions".. to be allowed to do the mentioned drills..
It's nice.. it's expensive.. but I think that's what you pay for..

Markham park is one of my fav's...