PDA

View Full Version : s&w model 29 trade opinions?

Drywall Man
09-23-13, 07:38
I have a cased 29-2 with 8 3/4" bbl nickle plated all papers and tools and I want to get one to carry and funds are short and I have two interested parties wanting it.
One guy wants to swap his nickle 29-3 with 6" bbl no box and throw in $100 for mine another wants to buy mine outright for $900 but I told him no way for under $1000 due to me having to be able to buy another with a shorter bbl.
My question is, are either of these deals feasible for me or am I loosing either way? My end game is I want a 29 to carry and 8 3/4" is just silly to even think about carrying and a 6"bbl is at least doable.

brushy bill
09-24-13, 19:35
I have a cased 29-2 with 8 3/4" bbl nickle plated all papers and tools and I want to get one to carry and funds are short and I have two interested parties wanting it.
One guy wants to swap his nickle 29-3 with 6" bbl no box and throw in $100 for mine another wants to buy mine outright for $900 but I told him no way for under $1000 due to me having to be able to buy another with a shorter bbl.
My question is, are either of these deals feasible for me or am I loosing either way? My end game is I want a 29 to carry and 8 3/4" is just silly to even think about carrying and a 6"bbl is at least doable.

You ever consider sending it to a good smith for a barrel reduction?

Scotter260
09-24-13, 23:41
S or N serial prefix?

Coke stocks, Diamond Targets or standard Targets?

I don't have my book near right now but I believe the -2s started in the early 60s and am not sure when they ended but you may want to head over to smith-wessonforum.com with your query - depending on the prefix and stocks alone the difference in value may vary as much as $400. Your $1,000 asking price may be too low considering you've got the whole package.

If you go to the Smith forum, take pics and as much info as possible along with you.

RyanB
09-25-13, 00:37
The 5" full underlug barrels are as good as it gets... I'd want one of those.

Drywall Man
09-25-13, 12:54
S or N serial prefix?

Coke stocks, Diamond Targets or standard Targets?

I don't have my book near right now but I believe the -2s started in the early 60s and am not sure when they ended but you may want to head over to smith-wessonforum.com with your query - depending on the prefix and stocks alone the difference in value may vary as much as $400. Your $1,000 asking price may be too low considering you've got the whole package.

If you go to the Smith forum, take pics and as much info as possible along with you.
This is an N prefix 29. The serial number puts it at around 1976 and the warranty card has a 1976 date on it that probably puts this at a 76 manufacture date. here is a picture of the old girl.http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee502/KobraKomander/null_zps424e58a2.jpg (http://s1231.photobucket.com/user/KobraKomander/media/null_zps424e58a2.jpg.html)
here is a pic with what I believe is all the paperwork. Does that look like all of it to you?
http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee502/KobraKomander/null_zps846fd192.jpg (http://s1231.photobucket.com/user/KobraKomander/media/null_zps846fd192.jpg.html)

okie john
09-26-13, 13:02
I'd pass on both of those deals.

Collectors consider the 29-2 a pretty desirable Smith 44. It's the last of the pinned-and-recessed guns, so it represents the pinnacle of the P&R Model 29. There's a weird subset of collectors who are head-over-heels for nickeled 8 3/8" guns, plus yours looks pretty crisp AND you've got the presentation case and tools, which add another $200-250 to its value. Check with the Smith forum, but I'd guess that you can get $1,200 for it--maybe more--if you're not in a hurry to sell.

The 29-3 is one of the least collectible Smith 44 Magnums for two reasons. First, it was the last of the non-Endurance Package guns, which means you want to keep the handloads to a 240-grain bullet around 1,200 fps--a steady diet of hotter loads will cause it to loosen and wear more quickly than a later gun. Second, the 29-3 was the first of the non pinned-and-recessed guns, which doesn't mean jack to a shooter but will disappoint a collector.

If you just want a working Model 29 and you don't plan to run a lot of hot loads through it, then the 29-3 is a great way to go, mostly because you get the superb Smith trigger, accuracy, and sights without having to fight the the collectors. A six-inch nickeled 29-3 in decent shape with no box would probably go for $500-ish on the Smith forum if you're not in a hurry to buy.

I'd sell your gun on the Smith forum, then use the money to buy what you really want.

Okie John

Drywall Man
09-26-13, 15:32
Thanks for the reply's guys. I did indeed pass on the crazy offers and may take it to the gunshow and see what I might dredge up offer wise.
I just have to steer clear of the dealers wanting it for $200 and an SKS:rolleyes: hehe. If all else fails I will just sit on it a bit as these are not going to get any cheaper in the future I think.

Tzook
09-26-13, 17:25
Thanks for the reply's guys. I did indeed pass on the crazy offers and may take it to the gunshow and see what I might dredge up offer wise.
I just have to steer clear of the dealers wanting it for $200 and an SKS:rolleyes: hehe. If all else fails I will just sit on it a bit as these are not going to get any cheaper in the future I think.

Man I'll hook you up with 300 and an SKS....

rjacobs
09-26-13, 20:40
For that package I would expect 1200+, if it was blue'd maybe a little more than that.

If I was wanting a shorter barreled 44 in the 29 family to carry I would be hard pressed to not look at the new 629 Performance Center model with the 2"(1-7/8's") barrel or the 629 with the 2.625" barrel. They also are making most of the "classic" 29's with 4" and 6" barrels in blue'd or nickle.

I guess I have a hard time carrying something I feel is a collector type gun like a 29-2. I have a 6.5", blue'd, 29-2 from 1976 it damn good shape and I could never bring myself to carry it except maybe in a real nice belt and holster combo.

okie john
09-27-13, 19:18
If I was wanting a shorter barreled 44 in the 29 family to carry I would be hard pressed to not look at the new 629 Performance Center model with the 2"(1-7/8's") barrel or the 629 with the 2.625" barrel. They also are making most of the "classic" 29's with 4" and 6" barrels in blue'd or nickle.

Agreed, but barrel length should be considered as part of a broader approach to back-country security.

For instance, I always buy a bear tag and a cougar tag. That way If I have to shoot either one, I can tag it and not be accused of hunting out of season. Because of that, I also only carry a handgun that's legal for hunting in my state so I don't get in hot water with the possum sheriff.

A lot of states say that you can't carry a weapon that's not legal for whatever you're hunting, and a snub-nosed revolver would almost definitely fall into that category, even if it's a 44 Magnum.

Food for thought.

Okie John

ThirdWatcher
09-28-13, 05:02
Model 29's (usually) went for crazy prices back in the 70's (thanks to the Dirty Harry movies). I lucked out and paid $289.50 + tax for my blued 29-2 w/ 6-1/2" barrel in '77 (which was the suggested retail price at the time) but a lot of them went for around $500 (when you could find them).

IMHO that thing will appreciate in value.

gunnut284
09-28-13, 07:52
While I don't care for either nickel finishes or long barrels myself I would expect that gun (with the case and papers) to go for at least $1k and maybe more to the right buyer. $1200 is probably realistic. I like the 5" Classic best with the standard 4" second.

HKGuns
09-28-13, 09:09
For that package I would expect 1200+, if it was blue'd maybe a little more than that.

+1 on that price range.

SteveS
11-02-13, 20:40
I really like the 8 3/8 barrel.

igoswoop
11-02-13, 22:49
With the relative low availability of .44's, I'd find something else to hock.

Punch up Diamond D Custom leather for their Guide's Choice chest holster, buy a flannel shirt and a comparable vintage Marlin Model 1895 (should be 50% the value of your smith) and buy a cabin in the woods.

Kill shit...