PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Washington

jhfc
09-23-13, 17:25
Hello to everyone from Washington state.

Ordered my first AR, a Colt 6920, last week and hope to receive it soon. I didn't plan on getting a Colt, but turns out that model was hard to beat for value. Initially, I was thinking of buying parts and building a rifle, but the number of options was overwhelming.

With the recent round of craziness, I decided I couldn't wait any longer and went for a factory rifle. I do plan on building the next one. My girlfriend did encourage the purchase of this gun, but started giving me the stink eye when mention was made of the "next" one. She wants her 1911 first I guess.

Any way, I've read a bit on here and hope to learn from the experts and appreciate all the expertise available!

Airhasz
09-23-13, 19:56
Congrads, nothing wrong with a factory colt. It should be trouble free shooting. Let us know how she shoots when you get a chance to heat it up.

TacticalMark
09-23-13, 21:41
Welcome, now you just need to find some good spots in WA to go shoot. Everything west of the mountains sucks. Enjoy your Colt

_Stormin_
09-23-13, 23:11
Well that's a little harsh… But yeah, everything on the west side of the state kinda sucks. If you find anywhere decent, tell the rest of us and keep it off of TOS.

Buy up ammo and run the gun. You'll want to grab a sling if you don't already have one. It's a holster for your rifle. ;)

jhfc
09-24-13, 13:58
Thanks all for the greetings.

Speaking of slings, I don't have a spare.

What's the preferred choice(s) for an AR?

Tzintzuntzan
09-24-13, 14:29
Good to see more Northwest types. Hope you get some good use out of the 6920. I would advise you to be careful about getting a 1911 and take a good look at how to keep a well built one running like a champ. You might consider taking GDR over at Insights to give yourself some pointers.

Some people like one two point sling, others prefer a different two point sling. In a ver broad general sense it's better to get a two point sling.

jhfc
09-24-13, 15:00
What is GDR and Insights? I googled, but came up empty.

Tzintzuntzan
09-24-13, 15:07
Insights Training Center is in Bellevue and has a course known as General Defensive Rifle. The two lead instructors for the company are both former SOF instructors one of whom spent years as a Ranger and the other was Special Forces. If you are new to carbines in general then the classes offered may be very helpful. They also provide a General Defensive Handgun course if that appeals to you more.

_Stormin_
09-25-13, 20:10
Speaking of slings, I don't have a spare.

Magpul's MS3 has worked well for me. I have a few of them as of right now. Vickers Tactical also seems to be a really popular choice, though I will admit, I haven't used one myself yet.

jhfc
09-26-13, 13:17
@Tzintzuntzan - thanks for clarifying. I never really considered taking a rifle class until you mentioned it. Of course, I would love to do that. I think next, I'd take a pistol class and go from there. Pistol would probably more likely be used, at least in my case. I had heard of Insight before. Thanks for jogging my memory. Sounds like a great place to get training.

@_stormin_ - leaning toward the Vickers, but will check out Magpul as well. Appreciate the tip!

Tzintzuntzan
09-26-13, 13:59
Make sure you try out a sling before you are sold on the design. I know that might not even need to be said but it is a good thing to remember. I hear Ares makes a pretty good setup.

britishtq
10-10-13, 13:43
Hello from ca